Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
I just happened to look at a Finnish candy etc. site and thought of the thread because MOOMINS!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Scary Go Round (January 13-17, 2006)

Kazinsal fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 14, 2024

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Hostile V posted:

I Don't Think You Know What Paella Is. I Don't Either But I Don't Go Around Pretending For Alliterative Purposes.

It is so loving weird that they immediately start pushing their friend as a romantic interest ("he's smart, caring, funny")

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

gently caress you Ed!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Green Intern posted:

It is so loving weird that they immediately start pushing their friend as a romantic interest ("he's smart, caring, funny")

Look, we only get new characters to make romance and babies for other characters!

It vaguely reminds me of, many many moons ago when I scrawled fanfiction, trying to help my friend make a fic because she was so determined to make one. She had her perfect OC and the perfect title but no loving story at all. She insisted an intro would be a story and she would just make more after people liked the character. Reminds me a lot of how Holbrook does his poo poo.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 29, 1962)

Boltar's got some impressive nips

I have tried overnight oats before and found them to be pretty disgusting. Even so, gently caress you, Ed. She's trying to do something nice for you. When do you ever do anything nice for her, you ungrateful useless sack of poo poo?

Luann

Gil Thorp

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
me reading luann:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

The_Other posted:

Conan: The Blood Egg Part 1

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

Lol I can tell "Paw! Yer haed! Yer bawdy!" is going to live rent-free in my head for a bit

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
1981 comics

Dick Tracy

Footrot Flats

The Lockhorns

Computoon: Origins

Mexikid Stories

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Heathcliff

Compu-toon

Garfield

Overboard

Monty

Classic Arlo and Janis (May 03, 2002)

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Zippy The Pinhead

Rae The Doe, which you can support by pledging to the author's Patreon

For Better or For Worse

ominous click!

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From The Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side Of The Horse

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
A good Macanudo? :monocle: Fappo!

Haifisch posted:

1981 comics

In which modern Nancy is beaten at its own mediocre game forty years ago. :allears:

Doomykins fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Apr 5, 2024

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Medenmath posted:

Vintage Valiant (Jul. 29, 1962)

Next week: Oat Cakes!

Kennel posted:

Dustin

Hypnotize the snake!

Next day: Oat Cakes!

Huxley posted:

Occasionally, the name Luna /ˈluːnə/ is used in scientific writing and especially in science fiction to distinguish the Earth’s moon from others, while in poetry “Luna” has been used to denote personification of the Moon. Cynthia /ˈsɪnθiə/ is another poetic name, though rare, for the Moon personified as a goddess, while Selene /səˈliːniː/ (literally “Moon”) is the Greek goddess of the Moon.

If Cynthia is good enough for Galileo, it should be good enough for Arlo.
( https://www.physics.rutgers.edu/~croft/ANAGRAM.htm )

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Apr 5, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FINGERPORI

The original joke was completely untranslatable (the woman says she was an "ex-Pertti, these days Anneli", Pertti being a man's name and Anneli a woman's) and not that great to begin with so I went with my own original joke do not steal.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Julet Esqu posted:

Boltar's got some impressive nips

I'm thinking he has to armor them because he's a lactater

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

So wait. This is a world where you can spray some $SPECIES_PHEROMONES on you and then you immediately appear as that species to everyone, but at the same time this weasel can't figure out that the gopher is a gopher despite obviously being covered in gopher pheromones and despite gophers and weasels really not looking much like each other at all?

Like seriously:

Bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CTVqt2wxU

Want to pet that least weasel.

Hippocrass
Aug 18, 2015

That third panel of the first comic just makes it. It's still funny if you remove it, but that panel included just makes it top tier.

Safety Dance posted:

I don't mean to be racist, but the cats and the ferrets look exactly the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY7qM_DtMRU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Green Intern posted:

It becomes even more bizarre because, iirc. next week's strips has them roll out a premade fake identity for weasel lady, all without her consent. The way Holbrook staples new characters onto the Dewclaw Babymaking Machine makes the whole group look like a goddamn cult.

riderchop posted:

Safe Havens

Them getting new mice to do science crimes on is absolutely pointless. IIRC, DNA Wizard admitted awhile back that she's stuck trying to crack the code on what causes random transformations and all the experiments she puts everyone through are just busywork. Literally nothing they do matters and she's wasting everyone's time and the university's money.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

FINGERPORI

The original joke was completely untranslatable (the woman says she was an "ex-Pertti, these days Anneli", Pertti being a man's name and Anneli a woman's) and not that great to begin with so I went with my own original joke do not steal.

"But you said you built this thing!"
"Yeah. I poured the concrete."

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Mercury Hat posted:

"But you said you built this thing!"
"Yeah. I poured the concrete."

:hmmyes:

Also good!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

He looks like he's casually smoking :3:

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 05, 1962)

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

So wait. This is a world where you can spray some $SPECIES_PHEROMONES on you and then you immediately appear as that species to everyone, but at the same time this weasel can't figure out that the gopher is a gopher despite obviously being covered in gopher pheromones and despite gophers and weasels really not looking much like each other at all?

Like seriously:

Bonus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2CTVqt2wxU

Want to pet that least weasel.
You're not wrong, especially because what happens is they both transition to being a different species entirely (turtles).

amigolupus posted:

It becomes even more bizarre because, iirc. next week's strips has them roll out a premade fake identity for weasel lady, all without her consent. The way Holbrook staples new characters onto the Dewclaw Babymaking Machine makes the whole group look like a goddamn cult.
I'm not gonna say it's not a nice thing to do for a somewhat innocent person they're meeting for the first time because it is, they're saving her from getting skinned for her pelt. It's a nice thing to do for a stranger. What's weird is how fast it's speedrunning her shacking up with George. He's alright, he's nice enough, but the force with which they're paired up with like no real reason or fanfare so there can be another interspecies couple might as well be marrying immediately after speed dating. And I think Holbrook recognizes he kind of popped the ult too early which is why he goes back and has them become turtles, so they have anything going on that isn't "Ophelia becomes one of the couples' babysitters out of gratitude" because there's nothing quite like saving a woman's life and immediately making her an au pair isn't there.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/4/04

Stephen Collins

This is apparently the most popular podcast in the UK, and they will be playing the O2 in October. Mark your calendars!

That's a very cheerful-looking Beast with Seven Heads, by the way.

Brenda Starr 12/15-17/52

Smokey Stover 10/2/60

Everyday Movies 5/28/37

"It really isn't anything. I just wanted to do something everyone could understand."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 6/14/43

Spoilered because Stamm is no better at drawing Latinos than he is black or Asian people.

For those who don't want to look: Scarlet is still stuck invisible but stops for a cup of coffee. Unbeknownst to her, the coffee farmers have accidentally mixed her coffee beans with a different kind of bean that makes people "think strange things" and "obey every impulse." Which sounds like a setup for a sex comedy but we'll see.

Closer Than We Think! 10/2/60

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 6, 2024

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'll never tire of how contrived Scarlett stories get :allears:

Forum accident
Jun 15, 2006

All hail Thor...the THUNDER GOD!
Frank and Ernest

(5/25/1994)

(5/26/1994)

Ziggy

Why does new Ziggy always make everything weird.

(11/8/1971)

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

riderchop posted:

For Better or For Worse

ominous click!

I'm looking forward to seeing how melodramatic this gets. I don't honestly remember from its original run.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

lol that this entire etymologic storyline was just a come-on but she doesn't bite

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'll never tire of how contrived Scarlett stories get :allears:

Don't forget how they transition into the next like, the very instant the previous thing is resolved.We haven't even fully wrapped up last story, this thing has some incredible breakneck pacing.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Archie, I'm begging you, let Jughead go to the buffet a second time

Cul de Sac

FoxTrot Classix

Somethin' For Daddy

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
We have so many modern strips where the author is terrified to advance the plot a single step in a week, or at all over months and years, and then the absolute stallion that Russel is just puts whatever idea he had to paper immediately. Scarlet drinks magic mind control coffee beans! Tune in next time! :allears:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Yeah, I was thinking that too when I added that - and I say added because I freely confess that I didn't translate Jim's words there - because originally he stated that Bass just missed him, which (and I hope you will forgive me for being editorial here) was just dumb. But I hope you will forgive me when I start the newest Blueberry adventure, which (to me) promoted the comic from good to excellent.

Corto Maltese

Blueberry

Also, I may have another cowboy comic to translate, if folk would be interested.

Samovar fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 5, 2024

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Selachian posted:

Everyday Movies 5/28/37

"It really isn't anything. I just wanted to do something everyone could understand."

This…. This the funniest underhand comment I’ve ever seen about modern art.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

Flash Gordon

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Haifisch posted:

The Lockhorns

They do, I have, and it's awesome.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (March 10, 1936)

Peanuts (April 9, 1977)

Crankshaft

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (November 8, 1940)

Olive & Popeye

Got distracted again. Everything else will be back tomorrow.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

The snow kingdom has correctly prioritized technology that allows for sexy balcony rendevous.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

is there a really bad pun i'm missing or is bizarro guy just really made about unions

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I assumed it was just a casual-clothes-in-work thing. Do they have to dress like farmers in the store?