Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

ilmucche posted:

A chunk of goons also believe that the only viable build in alpha protocol is pistol headshot

That one's marginally more understandable in a "look, if you just want to shortcut the janky stealth/combat parts of AP this is how you do it" sense. But it definitely mutated into "everyone knows AP is basically unplayable without Chain Shot" at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Philippe posted:

Crouch walking is just one of the weird gameplay things you have to get over when playing a stealth game, like enemies forgetting where you are after ten seconds. It doesn't make you that much less visible, and it's hell on the knees and hips.

From MGS3 onward enemy sightlines are much improved and they can spot your head peeking over the wall. Changing your stance is something that's pretty crucial for a good stealth game imo.

MGS5 had excellent controls because all of this worked with a single button and you could go from high to low and vice versa while moving from cover to cover

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 09:49 on Apr 3, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

WaltherFeng posted:

From MGS3 onward enemy sightlines are much improved and they can spot your head peeking over the wall. Changing your stance is something that's pretty crucial for a good stealth game imo.

MGS5 had excellent controls because all of this worked with a single button and you could go from high to low and vice versa while moving from cover to cover

I think the Hitman trilogy learned from this since it has about the same thing going on, especially if you go Suit Only that requires Metal Gearing it up.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

moosecow333 posted:

I do have a soft spot for when your starting weapon can turn into an absolute monster with enough love and care.

The starting 45 Shepherd pistol in Saints Row III is my favourite. Starts off average, ends up air juggling enemies with dual-wielding explosive infinite ammo. The other pistol upgrades are fine but none are nearly as fun.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
When I replayed Alpha Protocol, went full shotguns, cleared entire rooms of enemies in moments. It's hard for them to fight back when a single shot knocks them to the ground. So it just ended up with me bursting into every room like an explosion and in moments everyone is on the floor. Stealth + pistol must be so boring.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
This is also a great way to play Cyberpunk. All Body no sneak just vibes

Rebecca's shotgun, gorilla arms, grenades, and airdash. I call it the Doomguy.

Philippe has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Apr 3, 2024

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

John Murdoch posted:

That one's marginally more understandable in a "look, if you just want to shortcut the janky stealth/combat parts of AP this is how you do it" sense. But it definitely mutated into "everyone knows AP is basically unplayable without Chain Shot" at some point.

Shotgun rear end in a top hat would like a word

Morpheus posted:

When I replayed Alpha Protocol, went full shotguns, cleared entire rooms of enemies in moments. It's hard for them to fight back when a single shot knocks them to the ground. So it just ended up with me bursting into every room like an explosion and in moments everyone is on the floor. Stealth + pistol must be so boring.

Hell yeah. Put on a backwards baseball cap, choose all aggressive dialog, and always wear the heaviest full body armor too.

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 12:58 on Apr 3, 2024

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Hell yeah. Put on a backwards baseball cap, choose all aggressive dialog, and always wear the heaviest full body armor too.

Oh you'd better believe that was my total rear end in a top hat playthrough.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Oh no, always the most professional door-kicking shotgun-toting force of destruction

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

"Now pay attention, 007, because this Bluetooth dongle also doubles as a nuclear w--"
"Q, what are those guns they're using over there?"
"Those are just conventional shotguns. As I was saying..."
"I want to try one. You've given me an earful as it is."
"But... you're a spy. A shotgun is... I mean, you can't --"
"I. Want. To. Try. One."

THIS SUMMER *blam*

007 *blam, k'chick, blam* [the two zeroes get blown out by shotgun blasts]

RETURNS *blamblam*

LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE *blam*

JAMES BOND IN

"ALWAYS TIME FOR FLOWERS FOR A LADY WITH A SHOTGUN"

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Philippe posted:

This is also a great way to play Cyberpunk. All Body no sneak just vibes

Rebecca's shotgun, gorilla arms, grenades, and airdash. I call it the Doomguy.

I play as a stealthy hacker with like 4 body but I got caught sneaking in a night club once and realized you don't need any particular skill to double-barrel someone in the face.

CordlessPen has a new favorite as of 14:17 on Apr 3, 2024

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

For maximum style points it’s an old-style double-barrel.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's really hard to do anything other than sandevistan katana man once you've done it once

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
I like the stick blender run just fine, but I also like the JC Denton run (sneak, hack cameras, silenced pistol). It's a tribute to Cyberpunk's replayability that you can choose so many ways of building your specific V.

Also LadyV supremacy

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

It's really hard to do anything other than sandevistan katana man once you've done it once

You can make a build where you can kill everyone in the building with a single counter-hack.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Smart weapons are really fun too. Smart snipers are unreal; you can just aim slight above your lock target and the bullet will arc up and come down on them from above for auto headshots, even behind cover.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

I love how when you're supposed to be undercover in the subway area in Taipei I think? If you go in some superheavy body armor the dude who ambushes you gives you poo poo about it but he also compliments you if you go in armorless

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CordlessPen posted:

I play as a stealthy hacker with like 4 body but I got caught sneaking in a night club once and realized you don't need any particular skill to double-barrel someone in the face.

There's also times where, even if you're generally quiet and professional, it's nice and cathartic to express your disappointment with places like the corrupt Psych Clinic brainwashing people for money by going back in with a shotgun after the Gig is done.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My favorite thing to do in Cyberpunk was hack through a building from the outside pinging everything in it, then shooting them all through the world with the busted rifle that had like infinite wall penetration.

I heard they nerfed that with the fixes and I just don’t think I can go back.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I also recall there being a mission where if you show up in the heavy armor the guards assume you’re with them and will just let you in the front door.

They really gotta give the game the remaster treatment. The decision trees and game reactivity have been constantly praised, wrap it in a game that’s actually fun to play!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

moosecow333 posted:

I also recall there being a mission where if you show up in the heavy armor the guards assume you’re with them and will just let you in the front door.

They really gotta give the game the remaster treatment. The decision trees and game reactivity have been constantly praised, wrap it in a game that’s actually fun to play!

yeah that was the russian consulate iirc? you could also bullshit your way in if you were playing the ng+ mode that unlocked after going through as the newbie where you basically drill instructor past them like a hardass. and while it's not a remaster it DID just hit gog.com with updates that make it play nice on modern systems and stuff, so it's got at least a little love. :unsmith:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
There's an entire mission in Alpha Protocol that you can just skip if you finesse the conversation with your Russian informant. It's a red herring mission he sends you on because he doesn't like you.

The funny thing is that there's a character you meet on that mission. Never go on it, they never show up for the rest of the game.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Aphrodite posted:

My favorite thing to do in Cyberpunk was hack through a building from the outside pinging everything in it, then shooting them all through the world with the busted rifle that had like infinite wall penetration.

I heard they nerfed that with the fixes and I just don’t think I can go back.

The return of the Farsight XR-20 :black101:

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I just got to the grave hoard in horizon zero dawn. Still working my way through it but I like that there's all this optimism early but right st the entrance you find the log of the soldiers making a last stand when it's all failed and one of them goes "do you think 30 seconds will be enough for (the scientist lady) to finish zero dawn?" and the rest of them crack up. Then everyone dies :smith:

Ted faro lol lmao what an rear end in a top hat, saved the world from climate change (I think) then turned into making unstoppable biomass eating military machines. What an idiot, also the "faro plague". Eat poo poo, rear end in a top hat

Edit: oh poo poo they edit their audio logs down. That's sad :(

ilmucche has a new favorite as of 21:42 on Apr 3, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ilmucche posted:

I just got to the grave hoard in horizon zero dawn. Still working my way through it but I like that there's all this optimism early but right st the entrance you find the log of the soldiers making a last stand when it's all failed and one of them goes "do you think 30 seconds will be enough for (the scientist lady) to finish zero dawn?" and the rest of them crack up. Then everyone dies :smith:

Ted faro lol lmao what an rear end in a top hat, saved the world from climate change (I think) then turned into making unstoppable biomass eating military machines. What an idiot

Elizabeth Sobek saved the world from climate change, Ted Faro just figured out how to make a shitload of money off it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ilmucche posted:

Ted faro lol lmao what an rear end in a top hat, saved the world from climate change (I think) then turned into making unstoppable biomass eating military machines. What an idiot, also the "faro plague". Eat poo poo, rear end in a top hat

That's why people say "gently caress Ted Faro" but not why people say "gently caress Ted Faro"

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

That's why people say "gently caress Ted Faro" but not why people say "gently caress Ted Faro"

You know how "there is always more, and it is always worse?"

There is more, and it is worse.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

haveblue posted:

and eventually gently caress Ted Faro

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

Elizabeth Sobek saved the world from climate change, Ted Faro just figured out how to make a shitload of money off it.

Oh? Dang. I finished that part so going to do more exploring I think. Maybe go see what this cut thing is

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

There's an entire mission in Alpha Protocol that you can just skip if you finesse the conversation with your Russian informant. It's a red herring mission he sends you on because he doesn't like you.

The funny thing is that there's a character you meet on that mission. Never go on it, they never show up for the rest of the game.

If you piss off the informant before the embassy mission he tips them off and the embassy is guarded by Marines instead of the usual guards.
If you then go to this mission in heavy combat armour the marines think you’re one of them and wave you through.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ilmucche posted:

Oh? Dang. I finished that part so going to do more exploring I think. Maybe go see what this cut thing is

Yeah you should definitely learn as much as possible about the HZD world because it frames the entire game universe in a much more understandable way. Like, it somehow makes robot dinosaurs extremely believable when everything is the way it is due to human greed, pride, and good ol' fashioned capitalism.

Of course it's a post-apocalyptic world, it had billionaires at some point-- that's a 100% guarantee of total collapse

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

darkwasthenight posted:

The starting 45 Shepherd pistol in Saints Row III is my favourite. Starts off average, ends up air juggling enemies with dual-wielding explosive infinite ammo. The other pistol upgrades are fine but none are nearly as fun.

Yeah for some reason Saints Row the Third is one of the rare games where the pistol can be REALLY strong.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oh, to be clear, when I gave AP a proper try I was Shotgun/Melee and having a blast. Never finished my playthrough, but it was just dandy.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Basically everything in Titanfall 2 but especially time jumping out of the middle of combat in the past to quickly recover in the future. Only for one of the lizard creatures to jump me lmao

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Huh, I really need to give Cyberpunk another try. I pre-ordered it and played it when it first came out. I know they've fixed the warts, I just haven't had the time to give it another go.

Edit: I started playing Disciples: Liberation, and I enjoy that they don't try to guilt-trip you into going with a "good" faction at the start. After the prologue, you're told about 4 factions that can help you against the Empire. Elves, Mercenaries, Necromancers and Demons. I decided to go with demons, and the first companion, who has been the main character's partner in crime for years, just rolls with whatever I decide to do. No "Oh my God, you used to be pure and good, what happened" or moralizing, just "Hey, you're the brains of our operation, I'm just along for the ride. And ale." He's a cool bro, I hope nothing bad happens to him.

Randalor has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Apr 4, 2024

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

ilmucche posted:

They crack up when one of the soldiers says "ready to win the robot war?".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In Dragon's Dogma 2 there's a Sphinx who gives you riddles with treasure rewards for solving them. The first riddle "The Riddle of the Eyes" is kind of a fun screw you to the player. The Sphinx directs you to a dungeon right next to where she is, asking you to bring her the most valuable item from it. The dungeon is actually fairly short but is absolutely crammed full of enemies so it is a slog to get through. You get to the end and find a chest with a rotten apple in it. You might think this is a metaphor and bring it back to the Sphinx but no, this is not the correct answer. Instead what you're actually supposed to do is go into the dungeon, turn around and climb up into an alcove above the entrance which has the real item. So you don't even need to go through the dungeon.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

sounds like the dwemer puzzle box all over again

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Rockman Reserve posted:

sounds like the dwemer puzzle box all over again

Good god thanks for the ptsd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

"Now pay attention, 007, because this Bluetooth dongle also doubles as a nuclear w--"
"Q, what are those guns they're using over there?"
"Those are just conventional shotguns. As I was saying..."
"I want to try one. You've given me an earful as it is."
"But... you're a spy. A shotgun is... I mean, you can't --"
"I. Want. To. Try. One."

THIS SUMMER *blam*

007 *blam, k'chick, blam* [the two zeroes get blown out by shotgun blasts]

RETURNS *blamblam*

LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE *blam*

JAMES BOND IN

"ALWAYS TIME FOR FLOWERS FOR A LADY WITH A SHOTGUN"

Which movie was it where bond shoots a clay pigeon without really looking at it. We need to add it to this