Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

priznat posted:

Yah this 100%, but even the cars that they own reviews are not super objective because they usually own a bunch of cars so can forgive one car’s shortcomings more easily.

Honestly, these days the best way to research a model of car you're interested in is to hit forums. Obviously it isn't great for the model that just dropped two months ago, but even so you can extrapolate a bit based on past performance. Things tend to skew a bit towards people griping, but it's like reading the 1 star reviews on amazon. You get a pretty good feel for what can go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

TheOneVader posted:

Is that true, though? I think the general public who isn't terminally online like us just doesn't follow what's going on with Elon. And even if something is impractical and they'd never buy one, people would get a kick out of seeing one.
When Elon spews something toxic enough it makes major news agencies. I've seen some of the more disgusting stuff on local news when I've been over visiting my father. He mentioned he also read about it in the local paper. So it doesn't take someone perpetually online to know how much of an rear end in a top hat Elon is.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Car reviewers have the same deal as tech reviewers where they don’t actually have to live with the things they review so they can only really review at a superficial level. Doug will occasionally do reviews of cars he’s owned which is great if you’re in the market for an old Land Rover I guess.
As noted by Mobby, it depends. Generally it's the larger dedicated vehicle reviewers that will get a car for the long term to run with. I think though that Consumer Reports is the only one out there, besides a Youtuber here and there, that will only buy the vehicles they test. Everyone else gets Press Loans. They request the configuration they want and it gets sent to them for review.

mobby_6kl posted:

There are some that do long-term reviews, they actually go and buy the cars themselves and then have writers drive them for a year or something. It's way more useful information that the "I drove it for an hour around the manufacturer's luxury resort in Italy" type of reviews.

Not sure if Edmunds and Car & Driver are still doing them but e.g.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/

You can't really extrapolate reliability from a sample one one but still they give you great information on what it's like to actually live with the cars. Anything else is imo mostly just entertainment

That Alfa was just horrible. As I recall the car spent more time waiting for repairs and parts than it did getting tested.

It generally takes a year and a half for Car & Driver to get 40k miles on a vehicle. Then they catalog all the services, scheduled and not, what bits and things cost (standard wear items mostly), and how the performance, reliability, and comfort stack up against other vehicles of the same type.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Koskun posted:

That Alfa was just horrible. As I recall the car spent more time waiting for repairs and parts than it did getting tested.

This is the stereotype of Alphas right? My dad had one in the mid 80s (I think a 75?) and it just rusted itself to death on our driveway.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Alfa Romeos in North America are Italian cars built in Mexico and serviced by Chrysler. There was no hope for them to begin with.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TheOneVader posted:

Is that true, though? I think the general public who isn't terminally online like us just doesn't follow what's going on with Elon. And even if something is impractical and they'd never buy one, people would get a kick out of seeing one.

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/would-be-tesla-buyers-snub-company-musks-reputation-dips-2024-04-01/

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO/LONDON, April 1 (Reuters) - The ranks of would-be Tesla buyers in the United States are shrinking, according to a survey by market intelligence firm Caliber, which attributed the drop in part to CEO Elon Musk's polarizing persona.

While Tesla continued to post strong sales growth last year, helped by aggressive price cuts, the electric-vehicle maker is expected to report weak quarterly sales, opens new tab as early as Tuesday.

Caliber's "consideration score" for Tesla, opens new tab, provided exclusively to Reuters, fell to 31% in February, less than half its high of 70% in November 2021 when it started tracking consumer interest in the brand.

Tesla's consideration score fell 8 percentage points from January alone even as Caliber's scores for Mercedes (MBGn.DE), opens new tab, BMW (BMWG.DE), opens new tab and Audi, which produce gas as well as EV models, inched up during that same period, reaching 44-47%.

Tesla did not respond to a request for comment. Musk in the past has blamed high-interest rates for curbing consumer demand for big ticket items like cars.

Caliber cited strong associations between Tesla's reputation and that of Musk for the scores.

"It's very likely that Musk himself is contributing to the reputational downfall," Caliber CEO Shahar Silbershatz told Reuters, saying his company's survey shows 83% of Americans connect Musk with Tesla.

Reuters spoke to five marketing, polling and car experts who said controversies surrounding Musk's increasingly right-wing politics and public statements are weighing on Tesla's brand and demand.

"It is hard enough to win sales without getting into politics," said Tim Calkins, a marketing professor at Northwestern University's Kellogg School of Management.

Economic fears, the lack of affordable new models and rising competition from cheaper rivals like China's BYD have also been cited by Wall Street analysts as putting pressure on Tesla.
Overall electric vehicle sales in the U.S. are forecast to increase 15% in the first quarter of this year, according to estimates by researcher Cox Automotive. Tesla sales are projected to increase by 3%.

"The EV slowdown is shaping up to be a Tesla slowdown," Cox analyst Stephanie Valdez Streaty said during a conference call Thursday.

New car registrations for Teslas in California- their biggest market in the U.S. - posted their first drop in over three years in the fourth quarter of 2023 even as EV sales rose overall.

At least five analysts cut Tesla's target price last month, saying the automaker could post disappointing first-quarter delivery results. Tesla shares are down nearly 30% year to date.

Musk's outsized personality benefited Tesla as he promoted tackling climate change by reimagining cars as stylish, electric computers on wheels that could beat gasoline guzzlers in looks, performance and handling.

Tesla achieved breakneck annual sales growth for more than a decade.

In recent years, the billionaire courted controversy with comments and actions including his embrace of the Republican party and endorsement of anti-semitic comments on X. Musk has denied being anti-semitic.

When asked by an investor during a January 2023 conference call if his political comments were hurting Tesla's brand and sales, Musk said he was "reasonably popular," referring to his then 127 million followers on X, formerly known as Twitter.
"Whether you hate me, like me or are indifferent, do you want the best car, or do you not want the best car?" Musk said at another event in November.

Brand valuation consultancy Brand Finance found Tesla's reputation fell in 2023, opens new tab in the United States, the Netherlands, France, United Kingdom, and Australia. Tesla's reputation did not suffer in China, where access to news on the company and its CEO may have been limited, and Germany.

In the U.S., a survey by consumer analytics firm CivicScience, opens new tab shown exclusively to Reuters found that 42% of respondents had an unfavorable view of Musk in February, up from 34% in April 2022 when Musk disclosed his stake in Twitter.

"A modest but growing number of EV shoppers are increasingly put off by Elon Musk's behavior and politics and are now finding viable alternatives to Tesla in the marketplace," Ed Kim, president of California-based consultancy AutoPacific said.

That group includes Jonny Page, a London-based consultant who works with climate-focused startups and will purchase an EV this summer. It will not be a Tesla.

Page, 36, said his decision is partly because of concerns over Tesla safety but mostly about Musk's "unhinged" behavior. "I don't want to put a single penny in that man's pockets," Page said.

Tesla's reputation is still sterling with many.
Market researcher S&P Mobility shows Tesla has the highest loyalty among major car brands, with 68% of owners choosing another Tesla when they bought a new car last year.

Christian Cook, a Tesla Model 3 owner in Texas who identified as leaning right, said Musk's actions made no difference and that he was "becoming numb to the shenanigans."

Kat Beyer, a climate activist in Wisconsin, said she wanted to avoid Tesla because of Musk's support for Republicans, but wound up buying a Model Y last year because of a lack of EVs with reliable charging infrastructure.

"It's hard to drive the car associated with him," Beyer said. "But I can't go back to gas."

IDK, seems to be having an effect. Just anecdotally, my dad is the most normie, nonpartisan, mainstream news consuming immigrant boomer and he bought a 3 in 2020 after my mom’s boss evangelized him on the brand and got him a bunch of referral discounts, and he legit loves the car. But he’s not going to get another Tesla as long as Elon’s at the company and he wants to sell this one, especially if the R2 gets made

Also lol:
https://twitter.com/_SeanDavid/status/1774777253320118582

Kung-Fu Jesus
Dec 13, 2003

Doug DeMuro and Jay Leno have the same voice

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Doug’s like 36 too, for the longest time I was convinced he was at least a decade older

peak old man affect/energy

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

trilobite terror posted:

Doug’s like 36 too, for the longest time I was convinced he was at least a decade older

peak old man affect/energy

No way

TheOneVader
Jun 9, 2006

Don't kiss your sister, Son...

trilobite terror posted:

https://www.reuters.com/business/autos-transportation/would-be-tesla-buyers-snub-company-musks-reputation-dips-2024-04-01/

IDK, seems to be having an effect. Just anecdotally, my dad is the most normie, nonpartisan, mainstream news consuming immigrant boomer and he bought a 3 in 2020 after my mom’s boss evangelized him on the brand and got him a bunch of referral discounts, and he legit loves the car. But he’s not going to get another Tesla as long as Elon’s at the company and he wants to sell this one, especially if the R2 gets made

Also lol:
https://twitter.com/_SeanDavid/status/1774777253320118582

Thanks, that's good to see it's having an effect.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Apple Vision Pro and Tesla Cybertruck are a consumer electronics match made in heaven

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I did see a Tesla with a sticker that said something to the effect of “we bought it before we knew how bad he was” and I had a little lol irl

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Tiny Timbs posted:

The Apple Vision Pro and Tesla Cybertruck are a consumer electronics match made in heaven

There will be an Apple Vision that, if not for everyone, at least does a good job at what it is. There will never be a Cybertruck that is good on any axis

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I did see a Tesla with a sticker that said something to the effect of “we bought it before we knew how bad he was” and I had a little lol irl

People were having a laugh about it in the AI EV thread before we were sharply reminded that you’re not allowed to talk critically about Tesla there because all of the Tesla owners in that thread get butthurt about being reminded that ppl think less of them for doing their part to keep propping up King Chud

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

tracecomplete posted:

There will be an Apple Vision that, if not for everyone, at least does a good job at what it is. There will never be a Cybertruck that is good on any axis

Also last I checked Tim Cook, for all his various flaws, hasn't created an alt-right safe haven and isn't using it to spread anti-Semitic trash.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

Also last I checked Tim Cook, for all his various flaws, hasn't created an alt-right safe haven and isn't using it to spread anti-Semitic trash.

Have you seen the App Store??

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Palo Alto already existed.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
The Apple Vision Pro is actually good, whereas the CYBRTKKK is not.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oooof

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

trilobite terror posted:

People were having a laugh about it in the AI EV thread before we were sharply reminded that you’re not allowed to talk critically about Tesla there because all of the Tesla owners in that thread get butthurt about being reminded that ppl think less of them for doing their part to keep propping up King Chud

Sounds like the worst thread on the forums, and I've read the F1 thread.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Xakura posted:

:allears:

Not even close lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

AI is a real nice subforum except for the EV thread, and 90% of that is because it's a shelter thread for Three Olives.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I remember getting tested for $5 shortly after it launched, I think the Gamestop had accidentally put the pre-order price tags on the games when they came in, because I can't find any information about it being sold for such a low cost at launch intentionally.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Xakura posted:

Any thread can be the worst on the forums if you post hard enough

Anyway, https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wLVHXn79l8M

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I like the AI EV thread, it’s fun.

The tesla debate is kept fairly civil, and people actually have some knowledge about the cars unlike, say, the GBS Elon Musk thread where one poster found out about one pedal driving, misunderstood it completely, and got pretty strident about it lol

That’s probably the worst thread out of all the ones in my bookmarks tbh but I can’t look away it’s like a car crash (both the thread and whatever dumb poo poo elon is doing)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kazinsal posted:

AI is a real nice subforum except for the EV thread, and 90% of that is because it's a shelter thread for Three Olives.

3O is the funniest poster in there

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghT7G_9xyDU

Steve coming for that Iceberg Tech and RGinHDs audience

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghT7G_9xyDU

Steve coming for that Iceberg Tech and RGinHDs audience
When I saw this pop up as a notification I thought it was a Digital Foundry video.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tiny Timbs posted:

3O is the funniest poster in there

I love him and I can never figure out if he is serious or playing a bit. Either way it’s amazing.

I see some post of his and just KNOW it will get some intensely heated replies and I bust out the popcorn..

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Kazinsal posted:

actually 3O is probably one of the better posters in that thread, and it brings me no joy to say it.

He’s not one of the six or so guys that are like “anytime somebody gives me poo poo for giving Elon money it makes me want to buy more Teslas” or the mod that runs it like a D&D thread, so that puts him well in the upper echelon of EV thread regulars

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Tiny Timbs posted:

It looks like a fake vehicle body hiding another vehicle inside

It looks like the end result of a tv show I once saw where a team were given a Ford Fiesta and some time in a scrapyard to build an armoured car.

Only that thing could actually survive being machinegunned.

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
Unrelatedly, who was the guy who used to do super deep dives into motherboards, memory and whatnot and provided info to GN sometimes?

ed: answered my own question:
Actually Hardcore Overclocking/Buildzoid.

ed2: hitting [edit], instead of getting distracted for 2 hours would have been a good idea.

thankyou!

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Apr 7, 2024

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

buildzoid, he's still at it on his own channel but GN doesn't seem to be working with him anymore

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Anyone here with Nebula recommend any tech channels?

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Lowspecgamer has some decent content on there imo

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

The Mac port of 2004 was "first party" with an almost simultaneous launch which was the first time since Quake 3.
thanks cliffyb!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

MarcusSA posted:

Massive VR adoption is right around the corner!

lol OLED is a massive upgrade in every objective TV way over cheapass VA LCD and it still didnt get enough people to care

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Palladium posted:

lol OLED is a massive upgrade in every objective TV way over cheapass VA LCD and it still didnt get enough people to care

At what point does the human mind go; "meh, good enough".

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Just Another Lurker posted:

At what point does the human mind go; "meh, good enough".

About 10 or so years ago. If my last TV before my current one hadn't been 720p I would've stuck with it for a lot longer.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Remember that period where 3D was being pushed as the next logical step forward for TV? I've got an LG one that my dad bought because it was the top of the range in all other regards - he was blind in one eye so had no use for it but happened to buy it in that window where high end TVs just came with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Fil5000 posted:

Remember that period where 3D was being pushed as the next logical step forward for TV? I've got an LG one that my dad bought because it was the top of the range in all other regards - he was blind in one eye so had no use for it but happened to buy it in that window where high end TVs just came with it.

My Sony TV is old enough to have 3d but I've also have asymmetric eyesight so I cannot make use of it. My friends did love Tron and Pacific rim in 3d since those movies were designed for it.