Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
She's here!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOUgfZWlZXQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
shoutout to my east coast homies

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Bloody Pom posted:

Star Control 2 (re-released in February as Free Stars: The Ur-Quan Masters) is getting an official sequel, by the original devs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqCnsE3hxP4

I swore I was done backing video games, but I will make an exception for this.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Another maker of cozy/socially progressive games exposed as a toxic workplace
https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1776252235351015735

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Man, that was such a bummer for me to read.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

the French
*shakes head*

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024
It keeps happening.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Maybe I missed it in the very long article, but did all the Nazi stuff end up in the shipped game or was it eventually taken out?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

haveblue posted:

Maybe I missed it in the very long article, but did all the Nazi stuff end up in the shipped game or was it eventually taken out?

They’re saying that appeared in an as-yet unannounced LiS game.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It's an emotionally broken tech industry run by weirdos contacting a lot of money controlled by psychopaths. Of course it keeps happening.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

fez_machine posted:

There is one thing about this article I find odd.

quote:

“Even in our press guides from Square Enix, all the way up until [review copies were out], we were not to say anything about Alex’s sexuality, period, at all. And then they did the advance copies, and all of these reviews came out saying how amazing it was to finally see an explicitly bi protagonist, and after that, Square was like, just kidding, Alex is absolutely, canonically, 100% bisexual

Which, unless they're talking about different press guides, isn't true. I actually went back and checked my press guide for LiS:TC and it includes this:

quote:

Romance – Remember that you can romance either Steph, or Ryan – or nobody! Your choices throughout the game
shape your relationships with Steph and Ryan, from the extent to which you reassure Ryan about his role in Gabe’s
death, to how enthusiastically you embrace Steph’s geeky interests. Choosing one of them as the ‘hottest’
distraction for Diane sends a definite signal, but you can seal the deal at the Spring Festival by giving one of them a
romantic rose. If you prefer to play it casual, instead of a romantic embrace with the one you’re closest to, you will
receive a friendly hug on the Black Lantern rooftop.

which is the opposite of "Never mention bisexual."

The rest is horrible poo poo that is too common, I just found that one bit odd.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Apr 5, 2024

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

haveblue posted:

It was taken out.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

frankly can't think of a better person to lead the narrative design on your queer-focused game series than a cis white dude who thinks that women expressing primal human emotions like anger is verboten

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Remember, no bisexual

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

the French
*shakes head*

Deck Nine is an American company, you’re confusing them with the original LiS developer DontNod

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

France is good

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Jay Rust posted:

the French
*shakes head*

Deck Nine is based in Colorado
e:f,b

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I'm sorry, france, and the french. I should've known this would never happen in france, birthplace of simone de beauvoir.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I have somehow never noticed Life is Strange was worked on by two different developers.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Electric Phantasm posted:

I have somehow never noticed Life is Strange was worked on by two different developers.

LiS is owned by Square and DontNod sold all the rights away in exchange for letting them publish the first game to begin with. They were hired back later for LiS2 but otherwise seem to have become an independent developer nowadays

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

homeless snail posted:

seafloor shrine is literally just gran soren. you meet the guy at the bottom of the everfall and come up into the castle and the layout is identical. in postgame its even more obvious because all the shops line up and even the riftstone is in the rubble of the old pawns guild. there are a few other places on the map that also at least evoke locations in gransys like ancient battleground and bluemoon tower

it's been like four years since I played DD1 so it went over my head!!!

bluemoon tower did make me think of the big tower out of the way in the first game but I figured it was more similarity than direct allusion

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is one thing about this article I find odd.

Which, unless they're talking about different press guides, isn't true. I actually went back and checked my press guide for LiS:TC and it includes this:

which is the opposite of "Never mention bisexual."

The rest is horrible poo poo that is too common, I just found that one bit odd.

i mean the whole thing reeks of poo poo like that

how can bad people have worked on this? we won GAMES FOR IMPACT

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im sure the squeenix guy said some weird poo poo but im also sure theyre exaggerating so they can feel like theyre the oppressed noble guys

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

fez_machine posted:

Note that this is not the developer of the original Life is Strange 1 and 2, which is Dontnod, but specifically the True Colors devs

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Games for Impact... does that go to the best game with a message, or just the best message? Thx

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

games for genshin impact

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

honestly the way these devs talk about this poo poo kinda makes me sick lol

quote:

“I worry that True Colors and Before the Storm are important to the queer community, and I just worry people will think they can’t play these anymore,”

life is strange before the storm is not important to the queer community

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Dontnod also has its own share of issues, according to this recent union report: https://www.stjv.fr/en/2024/02/dont-nod-ascension-or-free-fall/.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its cool also how that article is like 'square enix london said some weird poo poo and also one of the lead devs was a sex monster' and every response ive seen is 'can you believe how bad square enix is'

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ErrEff posted:

Dontnod also has its own share of issues, according to this recent union report: https://www.stjv.fr/en/2024/02/dont-nod-ascension-or-free-fall/.

It was kinda funny listening to podcasters going over that news story and going "50% of workers disapprove of their company's strategy and 30% would discourage others from applying there... honestly compared to American developers those numbers are really low"

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Endorph posted:

Nothing outside the original Life is Strange feels like it even got noticed by anyone.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Endorph posted:

Well i mean, what ARE the games that are important to the queer community?

Tetris obviously. Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 have to be up there, the latter especially, for their innovation at the very least. It's really amazing to me, and the queer community i'm sure, how nintendo basically nailed 3D platforming controls on their first try.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Jay Rust posted:

Hearts of Iron 4 and I'm not even joking.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It was kinda funny listening to podcasters going over that news story and going "50% of workers disapprove of their company's strategy and 30% would discourage others from applying there... honestly compared to American developers those numbers are really low"

TBF, that is because US industry is a problem.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jay Rust posted:

Fallout New Vegas

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Tetris obviously. Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 have to be up there, the latter especially, for their innovation at the very least. It's really amazing to me, and the queer community i'm sure, how nintendo basically nailed 3D platforming controls on their first try.
i know youre joking but id like to suggest kingdom hearts 2

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

but yeah idk, obvs i feel bad for the devs if they were getting creeped on but the weird like... self-important a lot of western single a devs have because they made a bad game with a gay in it is kind of infuriating. they really think theyre like, the first people to ever do it when theres been equivalent games for 20+ years.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Endorph posted:

but yeah idk, obvs i feel bad for the devs if they were getting creeped on but the weird like... self-important a lot of western single a devs have because they made a bad game with a gay in it is kind of infuriating. they really think theyre like, the first people to ever do it when theres been equivalent games for 20+ years.

Oh yeah? Well name three other games with gay people in them and I bet those devs will probably not even have heard of them

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

France is good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

Oh yeah? Well name three other games with gay people in them and I bet those devs will probably not even have heard of them
final fantasy 16, ff14, the square enix gacha where every unit you can roll is a lesbian couple. checkmate liberals