Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

ComradePyro posted:

I think it's fine to acknowledge the danger, sure, but the "Do not do it!" tone is counterproductive ala drug PSAs overstating the dangers of jazz cigarettes. People do it all the time without hurting themselves even though it's dangerous, so it's clearly not that dangerous.

We could have a pretty identical discussion about how everyone should be using a chainmail glove when they cut food with a knife, but that's just silly.

We talking helium breathing or table saws? I mean, definitely don't combine the two

e: my first snipe ever, huzzah

dobbymoodge fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

ethanol posted:

how many normal sized balloons of hydrogen do you think you could string together and pop before it becomes dangerously concussive

There's only one way to find out!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Whole house shook at 10:25.

4.7 earthquake under central New Jersey. I thought my foundation failed, or my one last old tree fell over.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

ethanol posted:

how many normal sized balloons of hydrogen do you think you could string together and pop before it becomes dangerously concussive

One small balloon will give off slight, but noticable heat and concussive force.

grab some Drano and aluminum foil to find out yourself!

I actually did this for a science presentation in highschool. Can't imagine the poo poo I'd get into today doing that

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ethanol posted:

One YouTube channel or another (I can't remember the name, the one where the presenter is an older man from Maine) did a video on this topic, and the conclusion was hydrogen burns too slowly. You need a premix of hydrogen and oxygen in the right ratio to get a really good concussive blast.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They just repainted the parking indicators close to me:

that's a professional level work I'll tell you what.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Safety Dance posted:

One YouTube channel or another (I can't remember the name, the one where the presenter is an older man from Maine) did a video on this topic, and the conclusion was hydrogen burns too slowly. You need a premix of hydrogen and oxygen in the right ratio to get a really good concussive blast.

yeah that's what I was leading at.. and you probably get a bigger bang with a single balloon without the sort of chain reaction going on there, but even then.. needs to be premixed to really do some damage.. but I assume there is some size where it's still going to make a big enough bang? or will it just hindenberg / be more flames unless it's premixed.

is there a point where you have so much hydrogen / not enough oxygen it's less concussive and more of a slower flame front like that I guess is what I'm asking.. or will they all pop with the same brief snap you see in a science class with a single baloon but in quick succession.

I want a demo vid on it thanks

ethanol fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 5, 2024

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

By popular demand posted:

They just repainted the parking indicators close to me:

that's a professional level work I'll tell you what.

Vegetation removal is a whole different set of tools. Blame the project manager.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Safety Dance posted:

Discount hydrogen balloons and a firework birthday cake!

Those balloons with stuff inside of them often have cornstarch inside them to keep the stuff sticking to the balloon. If it was hydrogen, the flame would be nearly invisible.

St_Ides posted:

Because the US government sold off the strategic helium reserve and the price of helium skyrocketed.

The price of getting a t-tank of helium went from 200 bucks to 650 bucks in like a year. We got out of doing helium because of it, and sometimes you just can't get it at any price for party stuff since medical has first call, and manufacturing has 2nd call.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

Vegetation removal is a whole different set of tools. Blame the project manager.

They could have folded then squashed the weeds over the pavement by standing on them.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

dobbymoodge posted:

SAFETY FIRST! 27 0 days SawStop derail-free.

Stumpy Nubs is not an economist, the legislation is good, economies of scale will drive costs down and widespread, affordable access to the tech will make true believers out of all but the most brainwormed old timers. This makes the most dangerous wood shop tool into one of the safest, it will save millions in medical expenses, prevent thousands of amputations yearly, and we could have gotten here 20 years sooner.

e: of course you should use every safety feature available on your saw - having SawStop doesn't mean you're free to remove the blade guard, pawls, riving knife etc.; preventing blade contact incidents is and always will be the most important consideration when planning any table saw cut.

I was table sawing before I knew poo poo about blade guards, riving knives or kickback, and did none of those, probably on cause of not knowing poo poo. The less you know!

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

LimaBiker posted:

I don't think the balloons are filled with hydrogen. Rather, natural gas, which is also lighter than air, and a LOT cheaper. The color of burning hydrogen is less yellow-orange, more red, and less opaque. It also burns a bit faster in my small scale experience.

I'm not sure natural gas is lighter than air? :confused:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

They could have folded then squashed the weeds over the pavement by standing on them.

seems like the solution would be to pay for one extra guy to walk in front with a weed whacker

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

natural gas is between 0.7 and 0.9 kg/m3 at STP depending on composition. Air is around 1.3. Hydrogen is 0.09. Helium is around 0.17.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Dumb Sex-Parrot posted:

It's like half as dense

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Scarodactyl posted:

It's like half as dense

So twice as floaty?

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

I'm surprised I didn't see anyone point out that a guy who calls himself StumpyNubs railing against a device that would stop him cutting off fingers is beyond parody.

Edit: maybe he's not referring to his own fingers!?

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

Mindless
Dec 7, 2001

WANTED: INFO on Mindless. Anything! Everything! Send to
Pillbug
Can't ever let you go, oh no

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/tlrhPf3.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/vlLXjMH.mp4

This doesn't look like sufficient PPE for the job

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

And I thought I was on the street food thread...

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

So this is what it looks like on the inside of a puppet.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

mobby_6kl posted:

Everything reminds me of her…

everydayfalls
Aug 23, 2016

CainFortea posted:

Those balloons with stuff inside of them often have cornstarch inside them to keep the stuff sticking to the balloon. If it was hydrogen, the flame would be nearly invisible.

The price of getting a t-tank of helium went from 200 bucks to 650 bucks in like a year. We got out of doing helium because of it, and sometimes you just can't get it at any price for party stuff since medical has first call, and manufacturing has 2nd call.

Most of the helium in the market was a byproduct of Russian natural gas wells. The war in Ukraine really put a damper on that.

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

I think the idea is you leave it on, and someone will take it off of you during the course of your surgery. IMHO you shouldn't rely on this tech alone, but rather as part of a comprehensive approach to dong safety.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Powershift posted:

natural gas is between 0.7 and 0.9 kg/m3 at STP depending on composition. Air is around 1.3. Hydrogen is 0.09. Helium is around 0.17.

Just put 1/10th natgas in the balloon and it'll float better than a helium one! :pseudo:

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Now mainstream, the nazi footwear of choice is no longer the jackboot.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo
That's why I always use Trojan Platemail.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Turn your head and cough.

Robert Facepalmer
Jan 10, 2019

Toolgifs watermark getting kinda sketchy...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

babe, new IEEE standard just dropped, fire over untwisted pair

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Reminding me of the time some company tried to make busbar outlets work for residential 120 plugs. Having trouble finding the old timey ad.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

zedprime posted:

Reminding me of the time some company tried to make busbar outlets work for residential 120 plugs. Having trouble finding the old timey ad.

if memory serves me correctly, this thing could also double as a handy hot dog cooker

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Dang, i really want to see what a tablesaw would do with a chainmail glove now

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe
Semi related to tablesaw chat, I'm hopefully about to become a homeowner for the first time ever and I'll need to Do Some DIY at some stage which will require some power tools.

Sander, circular saw, drills/impacts, and other things you would use round the home when doing renovations.

Is there like, an Idiots Guide to using stuff like this safely enough that you don't risk losing fingat for people who never took shop class?

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Wow, that idiot went to a lot of trouble when they already make electrical tape...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

everydayfalls posted:

Most of the helium in the market was a byproduct of Russian natural gas wells. The war in Ukraine really put a damper on that.

The russian helium import was the response to the national helium reserve being effectively destroyed. They were having to ship conexs full of t-tanks of helium cause there wasn't enough shipping to handle big lots of it across the ocean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

kalleth posted:

Semi related to tablesaw chat, I'm hopefully about to become a homeowner for the first time ever and I'll need to Do Some DIY at some stage which will require some power tools.

Sander, circular saw, drills/impacts, and other things you would use round the home when doing renovations.

Is there like, an Idiots Guide to using stuff like this safely enough that you don't risk losing fingat for people who never took shop class?
YouTube the task you're about to do keeps many people's fingers intact. But you can't really replace someone instructing you.