Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Lobok posted:

Ok, I rarely care about end-game poses as I've only ever used the default salute and the air shotgun one but the new warbond has a chav-style / rap album squat I think I'm gonna main.

Does the diving through the air part stop the flame or only when you hit the ground? Ridiculous question but fire kills so fast now it actually matters.

You'd die before you hit the ground in my video, i stimmed the second I moved away but the animation was too slow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

causticBeet posted:

Sure, but who cares? Just about everything that’s not a rocket can kill raiders or other light enemies proficiently. I feel like the value of a primary/secondaries/support weapons is more anchored around “what can this do well that is hard to get somewhere else in my kit” or “what is a big threat that this can deal with well?”
Ok, but again I was talking specifically in the context of a build that is running the autocannon, which does everything that is unique for the scorcher(as a primary) better.
Raiders harrassing you can be a problem and I'd rather clear them faster and with less reloading, or alternatively stand my ground against berserkers by killing them fast instead of repositioning while slowly peppering them with scorcher shots.

In any non-AC build I'd consider scorcher to be the best primary, but it's exclusively because of how it handles striders. Without that I wouldn't ever use it.

Lobok posted:

Does the diving through the air part stop the flame or only when you hit the ground? Ridiculous question but fire kills so fast now it actually matters.
Pretty sure it applies as soon as you dive, because I've never had a dive take too long to put me out.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

LazyMaybe posted:

Ok, but again I was talking specifically in the context of a build that is running the autocannon, which does everything that is unique for the scorcher(as a primary) better.
Raiders harrassing you can be a problem and I'd rather clear them faster and with less reloading, or alternatively stand my ground against berserkers by killing them fast instead of repositioning while slowly peppering them with scorcher shots.

In any non-AC build I'd consider scorcher to be the best primary, but it's exclusively because of how it handles striders. Without that I wouldn't ever use it.

Sorry, I missed that context. AC is definitely a scenario where scorcher is redundant since it’s basically just a bigger, better scorcher in terms of what it’s engagement profile looks like.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Joel noticed we weren't going to get anywhere close to completing the order with the regen set where it was on Maia, and we're back to a Maybe Completing The Order (though, the weekend skews it a lot, to the point maybe we'll pull it off)

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Yeah I described the scorcher as a mini auto cannon to my friend but you have to reload the auto cannon at some point and what better to "compliment" it than something that will kill those 6 other striders and devestators bearing down on you.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I hate the ground pimples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD6RuARn39E

I feel like these ones exploded because I was looking at them too long.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

Dive to put the fire out. THEN heal.

EFB: but seriously they teach this poo poo in middle school.

did not know you could stop drop and roll thanks!

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

LazyMaybe posted:

Pretty sure it applies as soon as you dive, because I've never had a dive take too long to put me out.

Risky Bisquick posted:

You'd die before you hit the ground in my video, i stimmed the second I moved away but the animation was too slow

Lobok posted:

https://i.imgur.com/8sz27n6.mp4

I also tested if armor changes fire damage, since I was in heavy: it doesn't. Nor does difficulty.

I'm gonna find someone to hold a flamer trigger later today and dive through a few times for science.

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 5, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Thanks for confirming. So flames on the Helldiver is basically now the Evade warning from other games.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

diving is perhaps excessively effective at preventing damage and i ascribe much of my ability to survive 7+ with light armor and no shields to my excellent diving reflexes

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

oh also they seem to have fixed it so that now you can see the mission briefing when dropping into a mission in progress. hallelujah!

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
I dunno, I still take the scorcher with the AC and don't feel like the overlap is wasted. If you hot drop or, heaven forbid, die you don't have the AC and being able to splash walkers and gunships without a support weapon can be extremely clutch in a way that few other primaries will manage. I also can't remember ever having been killed by a berserker so its comparative weakness in that department doesn't really bother me.

Also, I think it's worth bearing in mind ROF and target acquisition when it comes to walkers and groups of raiders around them. AC in a vacuum is better at killing a walker but when you've got stacks of them at different angles it's nice to be able to clear them with a more agile weapon, and one-shot individual raiders at the same time without having to switch weapons or waste AC ammo.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

explosivo posted:

I like how this game brings out the armchair strategists who say unequivocally that X is a bad choice because you have Y and you'd be a stupid dumb moron to use X when you have Y you stupid idiot USE Y!!!

Maybe people like using X :shrug:

Z for life bych

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My arc thrower never leaves my hands. I deliver a steady stream of justice with my space mjolnir.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

LazyMaybe posted:

This is not impressive or practical at all for EAT/quasar with the frequency those enemies appear, and also when the competition is autocannon/AMR/scorcher.

You want them to kill devestators and striders merely by having it in your inventory or something? Like, I wasn't the one bringing up these enemy types you dingus.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I really like the Sickle but boy do I ever hate its third person crosshair. Let's take a rather precise weapon with no bullet drop and infinite ammo, ideal for weakening up groups from a distance, and then obscure what you're shooting at with a bunch of meaningless random spinning triangles. Brilliant!

MIC satire strikes again! *buttrock plays*

E: we can remove the triangle, that will be the carbine variant :911:

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 5, 2024

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Darth Walrus posted:

I know autocannons can bring them down reasonably efficiently if you aim for the engines. Maybe grenade launchers can do that too?
The AC can take down bot dropships? I stopped trying but maybe I aim for the wrong spot or have bad aim.

Sagebrush posted:

I really like the Sickle but boy do I ever hate its third person crosshair. Let's take a rather precise weapon with no bullet drop and infinite ammo, ideal for weakening up groups from a distance, and then obscure what you're shooting at with a bunch of meaningless random spinning triangles. Brilliant!

Can you turn off the in-game crosshair entirely? I'm tempted to do that and just use the one built into my monitor.
The Senator has the triangle too for some reason and its annoying as gently caress.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

explosivo posted:

I like how this game brings out the armchair strategists who say unequivocally that X is a bad choice because you have Y and you'd be a stupid dumb moron to use X when you have Y you stupid idiot USE Y!!!

Maybe people like using X :shrug:

I top the kill count every time I use the scythe, haters be damned

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell
Hellpod space is such a must take, that I wish it was a ship upgrade instead of eating up someone's booster

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Jack B Nimble posted:

Break Action Shotgun: You picked this up because it's the first hour of the game and you don't know what you're doing. You picked it up from a corpse, doesn't that tell you anything??

lol

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The dominator is amazing against bots now, with a caveat of it's a bitch if they're moving left to right with the gyrojet travel time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Anti-materiel rifle is surprisingly good against bots, I find myself killing hulks with it more often than with the recoilless rifle or laser cannon. And against devastators it's the bee's knees. The key advantage is that by being far away from the rockets and flamethrowers, I'm not getting killed by the rockets and flamethrowers.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
The people who just 'like using X' shouldn't be offended when people compare its performance against other things. It's kind of a double standard to say you don't care about 'metas' but then be annoyed when other people discuss them.

Some people take pleasure in trying to drill down to the optimal performance or just generally discussing game balance, while others prefer to roll with whatever is currently vibing with them. Both options are fine and some people will oscillate between the two. It's the same in pretty much all games but what I've never really understood is why both groups inevitably end up pissing each other off so much. I mean, I guess I understand because people on the internet are annoying, but still.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gorelab posted:

The dominator is amazing against bots now, with a caveat of it's a bitch if they're moving left to right with the gyrojet travel time.

Dominator just lays bots on their arse, it's great

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

The Senator has the triangle too for some reason and its annoying as gently caress.

It's for hipfire aim. It shows a pretty good representation of your spread.

I wouldn't mind if they made the reticles customizable by gun though

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

It's for hipfire aim. It shows a pretty good representation of your spread.

I wouldn't mind if they made the reticles customizable by gun though
Then why doesnt it go away when I'm not hipfiring? Why would I hip fire a medium pen, single shot, 6 round mag pistol?

Moonshine Rhyme
Mar 26, 2010

Hate Hate Hate Hate Hate

Then why doesnt it go away when I'm not hipfiring? Why would I hip fire a medium pen, single shot, 6 round mag pistol?

Because you are a cool cowboy spaceman shooting the bad guys

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Two reasons:
1: Yee
2: Haw

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Gorelab posted:

Yeah, loving the Dominator. It's a clumsy beast, but the burst fire mode makes it feel really good against Berserkers and it fucks up any kind of Devastator. Doesn't smash Striders as quickly as a Scorcher does by splashing the pilot, but 2-3 shots to the hip joints do sort them out.

Still, the crap gun handling makes the already wasteful task (my ammo reserves!) of overkilling chaff bots that survived through crowd control measures more annoying than with the Scorcher (which benefits from some splash in this task), and I think the Scorcher's explosive projectiles make a superior contribution to weakspots on heavy units, since Dominator projectiles are just kinetic impacts which happen to be gyro-jet driven. Unless I misunderstand the damage mechanics vis-a-vis heavy weakspots.

I am also really terrible at hitting jetpack dudes in flight with the Dominator's slow-rear end projectiles.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Apr 5, 2024

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What's a dominator?

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Even if the Quasar was only an asset against gunships, considering assaulting those towers is now seemingly a regular occurrence for 7s and above (I assume since I really only run 7s) you need to kill alot of gunships during bot missions.

It's a very good strategem.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dominator feels like it should have AoE but itd be op as gently caress with scorcher-level crowd clear

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Arglebargle III posted:

What's a dominator?

Nothin much, what's a dominator with you?

Just got my 85(!) medal drop from the last two major orders and finally unlocked the Scorcher. Seems really good, actually! From the discussion in here I figured it was one of those kinda niche guns that some people love and most people think is mediocre. I just did a bot 5 to try it out, it's great to just be able to shoot a strider a few times without having to use grenades or get an angle on the pilot. Less good for Devastators, though? I thought it'd blow up the head really easy with the explosions, but it didn't seem like I was doing any damage at all unless I hit the exact weak points. Didn't seem to do anything against Hulk eyes, either. Any tips on using it? It feels almost like I thought the dominator would, actually, I still don't know why that thing has such awful recoil and handling.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Scorcher is very solid. I run with Arc thrower nowadays.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Dandywalken posted:

Scorcher is very solid. I run with Arc thrower nowadays.

seems like a great combo for bots, since the ones i struggle with a lot are those drat striders, which the scorcher just deletes

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I actually still prefer the slugger, for whatever reason in that kinda snappy short-medium ranged single shot role. It doesn't stun as much but I feel like I more often get the arm or something with scorchers and fail to kill the little guys.

Ragnar Gunvald
May 13, 2015

Cool and good.
Any news on the new warbond yet? My internet's died and won't be fixed till Monday so I'm hoping they don't remove the other ones as I've not completed them entirely yet.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Phenotype posted:

Just got my 85(!) medal drop from the last two major orders

lol of course those come in after i'd given up on ever seeing them and was at the medal cap

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

Any news on the new warbond yet? My internet's died and won't be fixed till Monday so I'm hoping they don't remove the other ones as I've not completed them entirely yet.

April 11th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service

Ragnar Gunvald posted:

New warbond comes out next Thursday, old warbonds never expire and will stick around forever so you don't have to rush to finish them.