Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Carp
May 29, 2002

Is there anyone in this thread who could help me with my resume? We could work on it here and receive a diverse set of opinions. If we're lucky, things might turn out better than expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

D-Pad posted:

Thanks to you and others. I'd say the cards were surprisingly accurate. My dad died so loss cards are appropriate. I'm good though, the way it all went down was the best scenario we could have hoped for with him.
I'm very glad others got to you with condolences and card draws while I was taking a break of my own from the forums. I'm a little too drained to offer a card draw (and it sounds like you've been given plenty of support in this area already anyway), but I offer my condolences. Losing close relatives is a rough time.

Jazerus posted:

good news everyone. we got the finest minds in ufology on the case and the thread title has been reverse-engineered to perfection
lol perfect, thank you.

Riot Bimbo posted:

So i've stepped off the forums to handle life.
Sometimes you have to, I definitely get that. Thanks for the update though!

Riot Bimbo posted:

also this is a documentary, i've decided:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_V-VJQT6pM
Nice, I like this channel. Adding this video to my list to check out soon.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't put much stock in animal mysticism but I have to share the story of my beloved neighborhood friend, the bedraggled fox.

I don't recall the first time I saw him, but it can't have been long after we moved into our house (during the pandemic times). I woke up one day and looked out of the window and saw a poor little fox limping down the street, couldn't put any weight on his one front paw at all. I was so sad for him because I thought for sure that was the end - I nearly cried thinking about it.

And yet every now and then over the last few years, I'll wake up on a random morning and see my friend, this very bedraggled fox, appear from the side of my house and be happily trotting down the street.

I don't recall if a fox sighting has ever preceded any big internal or external events but this one does always remind me of the first time I saw him and that we, the animals of this planet and the planet itself, are born survivors
That's beautiful, whether it was truly mysticism or not! I would probably believe it was in that situation.

Also, I fully support a goon project to un-desiccate the 100% real alien mummies.

Finally, I'd like to ask for a card draw from the thread on my own behalf this time. There have been a lot of major life changes and decisions happening lately, not all of them positive. I'm wondering what adjustments I need to make to my path, if any.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Carp posted:

Is there anyone in this thread who could help me with my resume? We could work on it here and receive a diverse set of opinions. If we're lucky, things might turn out better than expected.

have you tried https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582&pagenumber=1&perpage=40 ?

im kinda curious what u are going for if youre asking here lol

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Riot Bimbo posted:

Got a couple of discord messages saying I was missed, which might be overblown but hi thread. My life is really hectic right now. I was gonna go get married in Texas in my mom's back yard with an impromptu ceremony under the eclipse (she lives under the line of totality) that was sure to be woo as gently caress, but I used those resources to get my sister up here and out of a DV situation. My sister is pretty mindfucked and the abuser is trying to lure her back actively, so i'm having a hard time, the last interview I landed started with criticizing my dress and ended when i terminated the interview after getting straight up insulted, and I'm mostly just not getting that far.

So i've stepped off the forums to handle life.

I still have weird dreams, I still study esoterica and do insane girl poo poo, but I'm using my free time to write music and jam with a buddy of mine, and do art. Otherwise it's survival and drama, and the forums felt like it was competing with productivity and in terms of dopamine, posting can't compete with the rush I get when I come up with cool music bits, grok new music theory, or otherwise make advancements in my music... so just not a lot of a desire to post honestly.

I've got a song about the albigensian crusade that's got the first verse and chorus line more or less where I think it needs to be, and I'm starting to actually get help from more music friends now that it's apparent i am not just on another ADHD kick, but actually have writing ability lurking underneath my disaster brain... i just don't have as much going on and i got reasons to be posting less, but i'm doing as well as i can be y'all!!! love and all that

last time i took it i was infj, but i used to score infp when i was younger, and the difference is usually a matter of an answer or two, that p/j thing seems to flip based on my mood.

But I also consider those personality inventories to basically be "anti-commie" horseshit designed to filter out People Who Might Be A Problem in a work environment, and beyond that they kind of lack merit to me? The last time I was tested was a pest control job that was expressly determining if i was a fit for them.

It's interesting trivia that I'm INFJ, but I never think of myself as my MBTI score, and I never think of the world in terms of MBTI, and I think it'd be a fairly big mistake to integrate it into your worldview like that.

i expect you are aware of this already but you own, keep on keepin' on

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
theres a new argentinian comedy series this thread might be interested in: fabricante de ovnis, or ufo factory

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt31888602/episodes/?ref_=tt_eps_sm

Carp
May 29, 2002

Sleekly posted:

have you tried https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3553582&pagenumber=1&perpage=40 ?

We're aiming to elevate my career from a position with a $120k salary to one exceeding $200k, transitioning from a Senior .Net Developer to a Staff/Principal Engineer. This leap will likely necessitate assistance that is supernormal, metaphysical, or ontological in nature.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I got u, you need to be prepared to complete a specific set of rituals. How much time do you have

e: are you currently employed and/or required to do normal job stuff also what is your religious affiliation if any

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
basically what i'm saying is if you've got like 18 months to kill you can pirate the critical translation of the book of abramelin, presuming you meet certain requirements. This isn't going to work if ye bible isn't going to work for you, etc

Carp
May 29, 2002

It is all pretty time sensitive. We live pay check to pay check, like most Americans, and health insurance has become a specter.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I actually review a lot of resumes, but I'm not in your field and probably wouldn't know what to do with yours.

Carp
May 29, 2002

My mother is dying, my father is losing it, my step father lost it and my step mother is falling down a lot. My brother is trying to start a pack rafting business and he is waiting on the website I promised. My adult sons are looking at me, I'm likely a stand out role model in their lives.

Carp has issued a correction as of 15:29 on Apr 5, 2024

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Carp posted:

My mother is dying, my father is losing it, my step father lost it and my step mother is falling down a lot. My brother is trying to start a pack rafting business and he is waiting on the website I promised. My adult sons are looking at me, I'm likely a stand out role model in their lives.

Carp posted:

It is all pretty time sensitive. We live pay check to pay check, like most Americans, and health insurance has become a specter.
I get the urgency. I'm not a professional in reviewing resumes or in your field, but I have bounced around a lot of jobs so I might have relevant advice. Maybe sounds basic, but there's a first time everyone hears everything.

There's a lot you can do to tweak a resume (including hiring a professional; it can feel like a waste to spend money when things are desperate, but the services they offer can actually help a lot with getting your application noticed). Some free ideas include being as specific as you can about your achievements in regards to time and records (years-months spent on a project, names of awards/certifications/trainings you got, that kind of thing). Also it's usually a good idea to include any people management experience you have, even as a hobby like running a chat channel or multiplayer video games. Even if you're not applying for a management position, for whatever reason it seems like a lot of employers appreciate having employees who are capable of making management-type decisions, especially under stress.

On top of that, the biggest thing for me has been having friends or a community who could be references. Getting people you've worked with is ideal, but even if some of your references are just friends outside of the job, they probably know you well enough to speak about your experience and work ethic diplomatically to an employer. Every job I've ever gotten was because a friend's recommendation got my resume put toward the metaphorical top of the pile. I know it might feel kind of weird since it seems a lot like nepotism, but you can also view it as solidarity since it isn't like a family dynasty you're making or anything.

Best wishes to you, I really hope things work out for you and your family.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

deffo hit up the threads sleekly linked, if it’s the goon(s) I think they’ve been at it for like 20 years

Carp
May 29, 2002

This is my resume. It is about as tight as I can make it, leaving small things in there for balance. No people stuff.

*snip*

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody has issued a correction as of 16:46 on Apr 5, 2024

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

You uh might want to edit the name to not doxx yourself

I have reviewed many a resume and interviewed many a dev in the past few years so ill post some thoughts in a bit

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Sleekly posted:

P'ntys are galactic HR doers

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

what in the hell is going on in here

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

sup

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
was a pretty cool name though

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

everyone got mummy fever

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I gotta fever,
and the only cure,
is more diatomaceous earth!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

my bony fealty posted:

everyone got mummy fever

it is the heat of passionate engagement not of febrile malaise

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Bilirubin posted:

I gotta fever,
and the only cure,
is more diatomaceous earth!

Do not inhale.

Do not inhale.

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

shouldn't've dipped 'em

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

I do wonder what former thread favourite Su from Sandia has been up to recently

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I hope you're OK carp

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

also whats her name, who had the rally at the Lincoln Memorial?

Simpler times

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

didn’t she have cancer or something? I didn’t really keep up with the p’nuts

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Aurora borealis

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

As Red Green says, "I'm pullin' for ya, we're all in this together."

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Pullin for all thread regs (and non-regs, and lurkers too) who are finding themselves in a spot of bother atm

Love and mercy to you all

I am finding myself in exile from my family for daring to stand up to my bullying narcissist of a father last weekend, after he acted shockingly badly, even for him.

I'm meant to be going home right now but instead am having to crash on a friend's couch

All the therapy and meditation and drugs mean I'm better able to have this fight than my siblings (they're not in a position to rebel openly though they support me and are supplying figurative tanks and ammo). My mother meanwhile has thrown me under the bus, which hurts worse than any other part of this x1000

I am suddenly faced with the very real chance I will never get to go home again. It's sombering, as our boi would say

I don't regret it one bit though

Barry Foster has issued a correction as of 18:44 on Apr 5, 2024

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my bony fealty posted:

everyone got mummy fever

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Please send good vibes my way. Nothing significant has happened, I'm just not built for this life

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

A human incarnation is a very valuable thing. Learn what you can

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Please send good vibes my way. Nothing significant has happened, I'm just not built for this life

Blasting out waves of positive energy like a DBZ character powering up.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Perry Mason Jar posted:

:sympathy:

It might not always feel like it, but I think you're built for anything, PMJ

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Barry Foster posted:

Pullin for all thread regs (and non-regs, and lurkers too) who are finding themselves in a spot of bother atm

Love and mercy to you all

I am finding myself in exile from my family for daring to stand up to my bullying narcissist of a father last weekend, after he acted shockingly badly, even for him.

I'm meant to be going home right now but instead am having to crash on a friend's couch

All the therapy and meditation and drugs mean I'm better able to have this fight than my siblings (they're not in a position to rebel openly though they support me and are supplying figurative tanks and ammo). My mother meanwhile has thrown me under the bus, which hurts worse than any other part of this x1000

I am suddenly faced with the very real chance I will never get to go home again. It's sombering, as our boi would say

i feel you; my parents disowned me. it’s kinda rough at first even though you know you don’t deserve it. good on you for standing up for yourself and while it sucks it’ll be healthier in the long term than sticking around and dealing with them.

on a cheerier i thought i’d let this bird thread know that we have two (there may be a third now) extras birds

(they are so fuzzy)

boethius
Jul 10, 2001

Space bunnies have three ears

this is a great thread and I wish lightness and love to everyone here.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Love, another completely unproven concept, no physical evidence except some videos on the Internet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

Barry Foster posted:

home is where you’re loved and valued, not necessarily where your parents are