Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

CainFortea posted:

Even if you don't have items that make good use of it right now, it's still really good as a tank. Also remember that the run away mechanic is based on your HP. So having a giant block of HP is still useful in making the enemy run away.

Yea this is true, but the default is 10x health just doesnt seem that useful!! If I have an average party composition of 32 total HP I can make enemies retreat if I'm at full health on everyone at 3 HP. Upgrading a 4 HP pockets to a 20 hp statue moves that number up to 5 HP if it rounds up 4 if it rounds down. A marginal increase considering you're losing an entire die worth of "doing something" to actually GET to that HP value. The friendship bracelet comparatively shifts those parties to 6 HP and 9/10 HP respectively which is obviously much better as it makes each individual HP worth more.

Being a tier 2 hero and for whatever reason greens tend to get offered as upgrades more to me (anecdotally) I always get this guy offered early/mid where I'm not gonna have appropriate items and my other classes can't survive having a 20 HP do nothing guy to try and take advantage of retreat mechanic.

Death to statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Vegetable posted:

I just wanna say that I’ve been playing this for like 50 hours and Easy mode is the most fun way to play this. It’s nice to not have to work so hard for a dang dice game.

Heaven into Nightmare runs are my new favorite outside of Blursed and Blurtra now that I've unlocked everything except for 2 items
Low risk at first with strategic planning that grows harder as things go on

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

`{v:3015r,d:{n:30,p:{h:[Housecat~D~Titan Blade~Timestone,o13.523~Emerald Satchel,Housecat~D~Castor Root,Housecat~D~Full Moon~Shining Emerald,Housecat~Wild Seeds],e:[Shiny Gauntlets,Ghost Shield,Bullseye,Whiskey,Demon Claw,Poseidon Charm,Titanbane Amulet,Friendship Bracelet,Farewell,Whirlwind#Harpoon,x2.Second Heart,Bag of Holding#Iron Heart]},m:[Skip],l:{m:[x4.Sniper,x4.Sniper,x8.Troll King,x4.Sniper]},sl:21},s:232100052,p:["2{}",3]}`

Trying to equip or move the Bag of Holding#Iron Heart crashes the game.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Statue was a lot more appealing when it was an L2 gray hero, so you were upgrading your L1 gray hero whose dice do nothing into an L2 gray hero whose dice do nothing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jerkface posted:

Yea this is true, but the default is 10x health just doesnt seem that useful!! If I have an average party composition of 32 total HP I can make enemies retreat if I'm at full health on everyone at 3 HP. Upgrading a 4 HP pockets to a 20 hp statue moves that number up to 5 HP if it rounds up 4 if it rounds down. A marginal increase considering you're losing an entire die worth of "doing something" to actually GET to that HP value. The friendship bracelet comparatively shifts those parties to 6 HP and 9/10 HP respectively which is obviously much better as it makes each individual HP worth more.

Being a tier 2 hero and for whatever reason greens tend to get offered as upgrades more to me (anecdotally) I always get this guy offered early/mid where I'm not gonna have appropriate items and my other classes can't survive having a 20 HP do nothing guy to try and take advantage of retreat mechanic.

Death to statue.

There are plenty of other items that aren't "give sides to this person" that you're also ignoring. Things that like, give 1hp for every 2 hp you already have. Now statue has 30hp. Or the white flag, that makes enemies run away at 5x health instead of 10x. Or Scar which gives a bunch of empty HP that you can fill with your red when they get a healing side on the first roll that is normally absolutely useless.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Statue really just sucks without items, like twins. Enemies fleeing even w/ friendship bracelet tends to happen when the fight is functionally over already, which is hard when you have statue doing nothing but eat damage.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

CainFortea posted:

There are plenty of other items that aren't "give sides to this person" that you're also ignoring. Things that like, give 1hp for every 2 hp you already have. Now statue has 30hp. Or the white flag, that makes enemies run away at 5x health instead of 10x. Or Scar which gives a bunch of empty HP that you can fill with your red when they get a healing side on the first roll that is normally absolutely useless.

I specifically referenced friendship bracelet in the post! The problem is I dont want to float a dead hero on the off chance I will get offered an item. So many of the items are buffs to positions or swap arounds and those do nothing for a class that has no sides.

I totally get the upside power of it but I have yet to have it show up in a situation where I can make use of it. I generally only play classic so I am probably just missing chances for the wacky synergies to come into play.

edit: I am much more likely to float an item I can't use than a hero, like the 1 pip cantrip item which i always wanna try and get wizard to slap it on and then hope i get some pip buffs too. And if i dont get wizard theres usually at least a couple heroes who still have 1 pip sides so its not fully dead like statue can be

The dream is like getting class hat with statue or mirror mask but ive never had them offered in the same run!

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Yeah, I also don't like picking statue with the hope I pick up side replacers later. Friendship bracelet is not ideal either because you're missing a hero who can actually damage enemies to cause a retreat. I mean I'm not even sure I take statue if I have knife bag and I get that item all the time.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Einwand posted:

Statue really just sucks without items, like twins. Enemies fleeing even w/ friendship bracelet tends to happen when the fight is functionally over already, which is hard when you have statue doing nothing but eat damage.

Not in my game that just bugged out. I had about 400HP across my characters.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Jerkface posted:

I totally get the upside power of it but I have yet to have it show up in a situation where I can make use of it. I generally only play classic so I am probably just missing chances for the wacky synergies to come into play.

If you don't want to play the way that using Statue is good, that's fine. Everyone has the things they love. I love wizard cause I love to pump it's left die and then hit someone with it to do rediculous things with a die that is normally like...2 pips and now it's 6 pips.

I'm just pointing out that there are absolutely good use cases for Statue for those that maybe haven't really poked at it yet.

The Aguamoose
Jan 10, 2006
"Yes, I remember the Aguamoose..."

and the claw won! posted:

Hail Blurtra Satan

This takes forever, after this run I'll be sticking to classic mode for a while.

Wow, how did you manage that? That's incredible. What blessings do you prioritise and which curses avoid?

I've been blurtra a lot and have discovered that an error occurs if your curses lead you to not be able to pick an upgrade for a character at all. It doesn't crash just throws up an error message. Because I'm an idiot I've discovered this on two separate occasions.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Statue is great, but what really sucks is the not HP scaled version of statue you'll get in Alternate.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008

The Aguamoose posted:

Wow, how did you manage that? That's incredible. What blessings do you prioritise and which curses avoid?

I've been blurtra a lot and have discovered that an error occurs if your curses lead you to not be able to pick an upgrade for a character at all. It doesn't crash just throws up an error message. Because I'm an idiot I've discovered this on two separate occasions.

Honestly it was entirely luck. You need something completely broken to get that far. Definitely enable the wild modifiers option. By floor 250 or so I had:

This trivialized almost every curse, so from there it was just about dodging the few curses that would end the run and being very careful not to gently caress up the display case. Oh, and trying to plan ahead for Bramble and Inevitable. Everything else died on turn 0. Feels like Ethereal Cloak + Cataclysms might be able to get there too, but I haven't tried it.

Bonus images:

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
Well y'know, next turn it'll be 479 spiders so it's not that bad OK

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

:stare:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

:hmmno:

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Lmao

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
I love...tweaks...

(the last image is me mid-brutal run. of course i took it)

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

I wish I saw tweaks like that more often, and not boring pure downside ones like "players and monsters -1 to all pips".

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is the monster cape tweak good? I always thought it was a complete trap because the monster left side is their heavy single target side so the Hand's instant kill side gets copied or something.

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"
If I remember I won that run, but possibly also because I did not roll The Hand. Didn't even think about it giving him 4 insta-kill sides, lmao. I took it because a lot of aliment/summon sides are on the right slots and this change made monsters more predictable and more of a slugfest.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Is there a left monster pain blessing

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
Yeah I've seen monster left pain offered in blurtra a few times, but it's awkward cause there's also a monster left blank blessing.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

How does display case work?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Jerkface posted:

How does display case work?

If there is exactly one (1) item in your inventory unequipped to a hero (i.e. in the 'case'), all heroes get its effect.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

If you only have one item in the unequipped section, every hero gets the effects. Very straightforward but it gets awkward if you start getting lovely items you don't actually want/too many cursed items.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug
I've been playing this game a lot lately, so I wanted to post my thoughts on the latest release.

The greens are a really fun addition, although some of them feel a bit underwhelming. The new unique traits and skills are brilliant. I wish some of the non-greens had special traits too, even if they're milder ones.

Cat is easily my favorite character. Cat teams are hilarious and I hope this is never changed.

Cursed chests are so bad they might as well not exist. I can't imagine ever taking a random curse for some low level items. Some tier 1 curses can cause huge problems, but its rare for a low level item to even be useful. I think cursed chests should at least show what curse and items you are getting (like challenges do) so you can evaluate if it's worth taking. Even then, I think the item level would need to be bumped up a little to not be an instant skip.

The point buy system for curses needs work. It feels like you don't actually have that much choice, because it's sometimes difficult to find a set of curses that add up to the required amount. One way to fix this would be to let you pick a curse, then re-roll and have it only show curses that fit with the one you already picked. For example, if you need 10 points of curse, you could pick a 6 point curse and re-roll, and it'll only present curses that are 4 points or less. In that system, I'd further suggest allowing a few more re-rolls, but you wouldn't be able to unselect curses that you already locked in.

Did Generate change? I used to play Generate a lot, but I haven't been liking it as much lately. It feels like generated characters tend to be really inconsistent with 1 really powerful side (or sometimes more) and a couple of bad-to-decent sides and some blanks. It would be nice if they generated with pips distributed a bit more evenly to feel a little more consistent in battle.

Textmod is cool. I just started messing around with that and haven't made anything interesting yet, but it seems like fun.

Best part of the game for me is late in a run when you get fun synergies. My personal favorite was getting a Valkyrie with Cleave and Cantrip on her deathless sides, making the entire team invulnerable.

malnourish
Jun 16, 2023
Textmod is a lot of fun and very cool, I just wish there was a way to make a blursed mode in it. I want my loops.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

Cat is easily my favorite character. Cat teams are hilarious and I hope this is never changed.

Going into Custom Party and making a team with four Housecats and a yellow or orange will never get old. It's not uncommon by the end to have access to 999 shield faces.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The illusion of choice

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

OK, I've got a reproduce on the crash bug and have traced it specifically to an interaction between Bag of Holding and Emerald Satchel: equipping either item while in possession of the other causes a CTD.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

Jedit posted:

OK, I've got a reproduce on the crash bug and have traced it specifically to an interaction between Bag of Holding and Emerald Satchel: equipping either item while in possession of the other causes a CTD.

If you have a game state that lets you reproduce it you can go into the menu and copy it to clipboard for Tann to look at

I think there's also a report bug option that does that ina n email for you too

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

Lmao the “every enemy explodes on death with the force of a barrel” blessing rules

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.
Why is Myco still a blue and not a green :(

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Myco's actually good unlike most of the T2 blues, please do not move him.

The Mattybee
Sep 15, 2007

despair.

Einwand posted:

Myco's actually good unlike most of the T2 blues, please do not move him.

I'm going to assume this isn't a bit, so what value do you see in Myco?

The growth faces are bad
If I want to spend a turn reviving I probably need to revive more than one person
Spore is a pretty loving situational spell at best

So that just leaves me with "What if Evoker had a worse spell and a hard limit on mana", which seems... bad!

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.

Initial caveat of "Myco's not good when you have a bunch of fight extending curses" due to the obvious. Mostly just that spore is really good with a lot of T2 yellows/oranges, and the revive can save runs occasionally. It's also just more consistent than your example of evoker, no blank sides though some of them are a little poo poo, and the spell's always usable.

and the claw won!
Jul 10, 2008
Spore is super versatile, it's great on sides with scaling keywords. The decay on Myco's mana sides and Spore isn't very relevant unless fights are going past turn 3 or so. Pick Myco to make a fast party better at going fast, don't pick it with a slow party.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The growth sides are also sometimes good. You just need a yellow or grey or second blue with a an extra turn side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It feels like “flurry” is pretty niche, even ignoring that it’s for the rightmost side. I guess it’s mostly for with double use/quaduse keywords or repeat-turn powers?