Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

sharkmafia posted:

You all know a good white model paint? My experience with citadel paints has been mostly good, but i'm getting tired of corax white's bullshit. And unfortunately I need to use it a lot because my past self made my admech's primary color scheme green/white with silver/brass metal.

Don't use a pure white, use a light grey then an off white then highlight that pure white. Paint recommendations for these colors:

Cold white:
Vallejo light sea green, pro acryl white-blue, pro acryl titanium white

Warm white:
Pro acryl khaki, Vallejo game color off white or whatever the new version is called, pro acryl titanium white

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

sharkmafia posted:

You all know a good white model paint? My experience with citadel paints has been mostly good, but i'm getting tired of corax white's bullshit. And unfortunately I need to use it a lot because my past self made my admech's primary color scheme green/white with silver/brass metal.

Pro Acryl bold titanium white and it’s not even close.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vallejo Game Colour white is good, and if we're talking off-whites, Citadel Grey Seer is surprisingly good.

sharkmafia
Aug 20, 2018

yeah, bold titanium white sounds good. I'm not too interested in trying that other method at the moment, both because i want to match the models that have already been painted to some degree and because that sounds a little advanced for me. better white will do for now.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Using very light grey is not an advanced method, its vastly easier than painting the whole thing in pure white like corax, and takes less skill and if you take it to the next step with highlighting, lools better

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Yeast posted:

Pro Acryl bold titanium white and it’s not even close.

I just bought this last night on a whim whilst picking up an Iwata Neo (I'm so giddy after using a shithouse SuperCheapAuto airbrush for years) and I am bouncing at the prospect of using it now.

E: Incidentally, I find it's very easy to paint white by just shading & highlighting Grey Seer.

Shockeh fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2024

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Corax white is already a very pale grey; I thin mine down with white ink to use as a base coat for yellows or whatever contrast paint, covers over black in two-ish coats.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Played another game and pretty much gave up after a redemptor one shoted my leman russ on turn 1 and then the leman russ blew up my command squad, scout sentinel, and kasrkin.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
:xcom:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Lostconfused posted:

Played another game and pretty much gave up after a redemptor one shoted my leman russ on turn 1 and then the leman russ blew up my command squad, scout sentinel, and kasrkin.

The dice taketh their due.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

sharkmafia posted:

yeah, bold titanium white sounds good. I'm not too interested in trying that other method at the moment, both because i want to match the models that have already been painted to some degree and because that sounds a little advanced for me. better white will do for now.

OctaMurk posted:

Using very light grey is not an advanced method, its vastly easier than painting the whole thing in pure white like corax, and takes less skill and if you take it to the next step with highlighting, lools better

OctaMurk is right. I've hated every pure white paint I've used but something like Celestra Grey base -> Ulthuan Grey highlight -> White thin highlight is very easy and looks great. I've used it on the white cloth here:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

Lostconfused posted:

If a man must die so that another may live, that man shall eat at the Emperor's table.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I dunno it sounds more like a man may die so that a bunch of others shall also die.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Winklebottom posted:

OctaMurk is right. I've hated every pure white paint I've used but something like Celestra Grey base -> Ulthuan Grey highlight -> White thin highlight is very easy and looks great. I've used it on the white cloth here:

Impossibly good white and orange like wtf

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Wrr posted:

I dunno it sounds more like a man may die so that a bunch of others shall also die.

That's also how the Guard works

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

Some thoughts that are meant to be helpful:

Did you go first or second

also Deadly Demise D3 - not sure how you took out a 7 wound sentinel, a 10 wound kasrkin squad, and a 7 wound command squad

don't get shot turn one! even with really heavy tank lists there should be enough terrain on the table to keep your stuff hidden for at least the first turn!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Tangy Zizzle posted:

Some thoughts that are meant to be helpful:

Did you go first or second

also Deadly Demise D3 - not sure how you took out a 7 wound sentinel, a 10 wound kasrkin squad, and a 7 wound command squad

don't get shot turn one! even with really heavy tank lists there should be enough terrain on the table to keep your stuff hidden for at least the first turn!

Yes I did go turn one, it was 3 mortal wounds which was enough to kill the already wounded sentinel and the two squads were still alive but under strength which had obvious knock on effects like not having enough objective control.

And personally I don't agree with "just hide stuff" is a good solution to eating 18 wounds on turn 1. But it's nice if that works for you.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
I appreciate that you are annoyed but:

your russ was caught out of position and vulnerable, sounds like your sentinel also was and your command squad, and your kasrkins?
and then your opponent managed to squeak at least 4 macro plasma wounds through which is statistically really improbable
and then you then failed all of your 6+ saves
and then you rolled a six for deadly demise
you rolled 5 or 6 on a d3 three separate times for wounds to your unitis

there's really only one thing you could have done differently, and it's unit positioning. more terrain, don't bunch units up near vehicles
otherwise sometimes the dice aren't so nice!

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

And I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful despite not being so at all.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Winklebottom posted:

Can I say how much this looks like FF9 by Kingdom Death?

Excellent paint btw.

Whitechat

Ulthuan Grey
Vallejo Deck Tan
Wraithbone

All very decent, well covering white substitutes.

For pure white I have Liquitex Heavy Body Titanium White for handbrushing.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad

Lostconfused posted:

And I appreciate that you're trying to be helpful despite not being so at all.

yw

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

likewise

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

:toot: My Marine painting is going very nicely and I think I'm going to get these guys up to at least a 1000 point force. If you're working from a Space Wolves combat patrol, what are good units to look at to fill out a list from there?

cuz boy does this game have a shitload of little different types of mans, most of whose stat lines do not seem drastically different.

Nessus fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 5, 2024

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I wish I could help but I think the SW combat patrol is a grab bag of some of the worst units in the book.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Eej posted:

I wish I could help but I think the SW combat patrol is a grab bag of some of the worst units in the book.
:negative:

The battlesuit guy's gotta be worth something right??

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i went to my local game store to pickup some paints and instead got the Les Grognards to start an Astra Militarum army. I really don't know poo poo though. Still, am excited to learn. And also to paint little french spacemen. I was thinking of getting a Veteran Guard KT as well as a way to learn the basics (and you can use them IN 40k from what I gathered). but boy do i not know poo poo about this.

Tangy Zizzle
Aug 22, 2007
- brad
Some pals from my gaming group are attending Canhammer this year (a team event) and one of the lads has borrowed an optimized Guard 2000pt list from me to practice with. I've been using my 'b' team list and it's been fun!

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Ominous Jazz posted:

i went to my local game store to pickup some paints and instead got the Les Grognards to start an Astra Militarum army. I really don't know poo poo though. Still, am excited to learn. And also to paint little french spacemen. I was thinking of getting a Veteran Guard KT as well as a way to learn the basics (and you can use them IN 40k from what I gathered). but boy do i not know poo poo about this.

The bad news is that Kill Team is an entirely separate game from 40k with a lot of mechanics that are very different but just similar enough to confuse you. The good news is that it's a great game on its own and a much easier entry point if you're interested in the hobby aspect, especially if you want a variety of factions

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

StashAugustine posted:

The bad news is that Kill Team is an entirely separate game from 40k with a lot of mechanics that are very different but just similar enough to confuse you. The good news is that it's a great game on its own and a much easier entry point if you're interested in the hobby aspect, especially if you want a variety of factions

oh dang i don't know poo poo about warhammer

edit: also i'd give the veteran guardsmen doughboy helmets or the adrian helments for more of a world war i vibe instead of uh what it's got going on

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 5, 2024

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Tbc the models are usable in both games (though idk how much the specific equipment options you want for one are good in the other). It's just the mechanics that are different (and imo a lot better in kill team, though obviously you're a lot more limited in what you can have)

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
You cannot bring a Mega Gargant in Kill Team, so it is less good. Actually, I would really enjoy some monster mash game with the same overall scale as Kill Team. Basically a Kaiju battle of dreadnoughts tearing apart biotitans and such.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ignoring the previous kerfuffle, I'm starting to wonder if imperial guard are the right army for me, to play anyway.

There's just some things that I don't like about their game design style. Like having several different special weapon profiles per squad, which you can't fast role, and you have to keep doing the back and forth on saving rolls, slowing things down a ton. Plus the regular weapons being so pathetic that a lot of the time I don't even want to spend time rolling because it's a lot of extra time rolling dice pointlessly. Maybe fishing for 6s just doesn't appeal to me.

"Well just go play the objectives then" you say, but at that point it feels like you're playing a different game from the other person. Maybe it's my imagination but for most casual games people want to kind of move their plastic toys closer together and have them fight it out with the results swinging back and forth.

I don't have a problem with losing, I certainly don't have fun from just winning either, I think I mainly want an enjoyable and maybe exciting game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

StashAugustine posted:

Tbc the models are usable in both games (though idk how much the specific equipment options you want for one are good in the other). It's just the mechanics that are different (and imo a lot better in kill team, though obviously you're a lot more limited in what you can have)

I'm just getting into killteam after bouncing off an ork army maybe seven years ago, and I've gotta say that I love the alternate activations over how 40k does it.

Athas posted:

You cannot bring a Mega Gargant in Kill Team, so it is less good. Actually, I would really enjoy some monster mash game with the same overall scale as Kill Team. Basically a Kaiju battle of dreadnoughts tearing apart biotitans and such.

Ooh drat that'd actually be fantastic, instead of individual units you're taking turns activating different movement, shielding, and weapons systems. Just single huge models smashing each other in a cityscape

soviet elsa
Feb 22, 2024
lover of cats and snow

Athas posted:

Adeptus Titanicus exists. It could sell enough to get the non-Imperial/Chaos titans added.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Athas posted:

I'm just surprised they never made a boss battle variant with the whole team up against a Dreadnought/Crisis Suit/Tank/Knight.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Triskelli posted:

I'm just getting into killteam after bouncing off an ork army maybe seven years ago, and I've gotta say that I love the alternate activations over how 40k does it.

Yeah and combat resolution is so much faster too

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Lostconfused posted:

And personally I don't agree with "just hide stuff" is a good solution to eating 18 wounds on turn 1. But it's nice if that works for you.

If you get shot off the table on turn 1 it either means you goofed up by leaving too much stuff exposed or there wasn't enough terrain on the table.

I'm sorry, this is how this game works. You personally disagreeing doesn't change that.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Geisladisk posted:

If you get shot off the table on turn 1 it either means you goofed up by leaving too much stuff exposed or there wasn't enough terrain on the table.

I'm sorry, this is how this game works. You personally disagreeing doesn't change that.
It does seem like a place where in a friendly match you might concede, but I don't know the culture of that. Tournaments... well, hey, go for them VPs.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'm getting over it, you don't have to feel sorry for getting your kicks in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
You angered the dice gods and you were smited. This happens.