Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Who has the video of the US general talking about the countries they wanted to knock over after Afghanistan? There were 6 or 7 iirc, including Libya and Syria.

7 countries in 5 years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Knt3rKTqCk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think the invasion of Afghanistan was guaranteed.

The neocons didn't "want" to invade Afghanistan in the sense that they saw it as a time-wasting distraction from their true goal of taking Iraq's oil and turning it into a strategic military outpost to assert American dominance over the region, so they attacked Afghanistan only reluctantly. But they were absolutely determined to do it nevertheless because they didn't believe it was politically feasible to use 9/11 to gin up a war in Iraq if they let the Taliban off the hook.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that's how you know the demands were theatrics.

Serbia also capitulated to every Austro-Hungarian demand in 1914, but the demands were for domestic consumption to convince their own population that the war was defensive, you just need to make it look like you offered the implacable enemy a way out.

All demands except one that was batshit and for a moment everyone thought war was averted and Kaiser Bill even sent a telegram to Emperor Karl congratulating him on winning.

God they were complete goofuses.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

joe biden is a genocide-loving rapist

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
It's true

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

B B posted:

joe biden is a genocide-loving rapist

many people are saying this

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Coolness Averted posted:

E: yeah or you could say both operate on narratives disconnected from reality, but the Bush admin used their narrative as a justification to actually try and inact the world they wanted. The Biden admin seems to think that the narrative is the world.

Dems literally the believe the 'we make our own reality' poo poo, and the only things they really care about are careerism, decorum, and vibes. They can't understand that anyone wouldn't want to believe their blatant lies, because they don't believe in or even recognise material conditions; they think they're making the correct noises and pushing the correct buttons to get the results they want, and become angry, disbelieving and confused when it doesn't work.

ProperGanderPusher
Jan 13, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Who has the video of the US general talking about the countries they wanted to knock over after Afghanistan? There were 6 or 7 iirc, including Libya and Syria.

This is why I can never get nostalgic about the early oughts despite the media telling me to right now. You had neocon ghouls in both parties openly cheering for WW3 and idiot boomer voters on both sides of the aisle thought it was fine and dandy because our country and its Brave Handsome Troops are invincible (Vietnam didn’t count because reasons).

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
it’s really sad that the bush administration was 1.) insane and filled with religious nutcases that bathed in holywater and baby oil and 2.) the last time we actually thought about the presidential cabinet.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

VitalSigns posted:

I think the invasion of Afghanistan was guaranteed.

The neocons didn't "want" to invade Afghanistan in the sense that they saw it as a time-wasting distraction from their true goal of taking Iraq's oil and turning it into a strategic military outpost to assert American dominance over the region, so they attacked Afghanistan only reluctantly. But they were absolutely determined to do it nevertheless because they didn't believe it was politically feasible to use 9/11 to gin up a war in Iraq if they let the Taliban off the hook.

nah they really wanted the opium.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Automata 10 Pack posted:

it’s really sad that the bush administration was 1.) insane and filled with religious nutcases that bathed in holywater and baby oil and 2.) the last time we actually thought about the presidential cabinet.

lol if you didn't lmao at trumps cabinet every day

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

super sweet best pal posted:

We're going to see a lot of racism from Democrats over the next few years against minority groups that failed to blue no matter who.

https://x.com/mqunderwood/status/910726544317927424?s=46

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

On the list of all-time TheRoot shitposts, that one ranks #1

smug jeebus
Oct 26, 2008
I'm not sure it tops 'everyone who owns a truck is racist ' but to each their own

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

The Root is even worse then it was in it's Trump era heyday since they turned off comments on the site and every post now is "YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT R KELLY HAS TO SAY ABOUT DIDDY" and poo poo like that.

GMG is bleeding like a stuck pig so expect the site to get taken down completely any day now.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/HuffPostPol/status/1776278172784337091

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

who the gently caress cares what a freshman, one term senator thinks

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout

First time someones struggled with depression where I'm rooting for depression

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Coolness Averted posted:

Right, and Saddam cooperated with weapons inspections. The reason I don't think the US invasion of Afghanistan was guaranteed is because the Bush government didn't actually want to destroy Afghanistan. They wanted wars with Iraq, Iran, and North Korea.

The CIA wanted poppy production back after the taliban banned it in the late 90s

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Nitevision posted:

First time someones struggled with depression where I'm rooting for depression

lmao

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

its funny how obviously poo poo fetterman was from the very start but because hes ugly rubes thought that made him working class

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

It also helped that his opponent was Dr Oz, a greedy slimy snake oil salesman who was also a wealthy out of touch fancy boy who campaigned on the monocle-popping cost of crudités.

Almost anyone might be mistaken for a working class everyman next to that guy.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Syria, Lebanon, Libya, Iran, Somalia and Sudan.

Seems like the US has not at all given up on those goals, considering the past 15 years.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

VitalSigns posted:

It also helped that his opponent was Dr Oz, a greedy slimy snake oil salesman who was also a wealthy out of touch fancy boy who campaigned on the monocle-popping cost of crudités.

Almost anyone might be mistaken for a working class everyman next to that guy.

dr oz worked for his money. fetoman grew large eating all of the food in Braddock PA.

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

dr oz worked for his money. fetoman grew large eating all of the food in Braddock PA.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/katewillett/status/1776683157284135267

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

he's the picture of health, which is his expertise. fetterman, on the other hand, is a picture of indulgent decrepitude , and his expertise is disgrace.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

pretty impressive that biden is so toxic that purely by association he managed to make israel unpopular among americans

Leviathan Song
Sep 8, 2010

mawarannahr posted:

he's the picture of health, which is his expertise. fetterman, on the other hand, is a picture of indulgent decrepitude , and his expertise is disgrace.

The picture of health:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Leviathan Song posted:

The picture of health:

yep. mad?

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

Dr ox ftw

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I figure Dr Ox would be Fetterman

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Please, Dr Ox was my grandfather, call me Gohan.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Communist Thoughts posted:

its funny how obviously poo poo fetterman was from the very start but because hes ugly rubes thought that made him working class
as I saw someone put it, "I knew he was poo poo on Israel. I just didn't expect it to matter so much so soon."

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Turkic solidarity itt

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

DACK FAYDEN posted:

as I saw someone put it, "I knew he was poo poo on Israel. I just didn't expect it to matter so much so soon."

pretty much everyone who makes it to national office is poo poo on Israel, hell AIPAC was practically getting to the point of making the local dog catcher take loyalty oaths.
What's notable about the ogre is how much he seems to be a true believer. I don't think there's a single other policy position rattling around in his skull -other than the senate dress code.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Coolness Averted posted:

What's notable about the ogre is how much he seems to be a true believer. I don't think there's a single other policy position rattling around in his skull -other than the senate dress code.

https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/status/1776661214342349051

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/SenFettermanPA/status/1776637432726782165

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

was fetterman pretending to be a progressive this whole time or did the stroke actually change his personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
https://twitter.com/umichvoter/status/1776997853426008498