Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Clive?
Clive
a
Clive
View Results

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Stop horny posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Damnit Dad

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

got a new slim. setting it up. but how long does it take to update a goddamn controller. jesus

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

get a move on, so I can update the other 50 things guaranteed to wait on the other side of this

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I started playing Trails of Cold Steel. Lot's of fun even if the first looks like a PS3 game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Trails owns

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

GreenNight posted:

I started playing Trails of Cold Steel. Lot's of fun even if the first looks like a PS3 game.

It was on the Vita originally, that's why

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And PS3

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

I tried the SaGa Emerald demo because I've seen a lot of hype for it and...I don't really think it's for me. The static portrait cutscene presentation and the voice acting didn't sit right with me, felt like a game from a decade ago. Maybe the other player characters have better voice direction but the puppet guy PS5 gets did not leave a good impression.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Arist posted:

It was on the Vita originally, that's why

That explains things, had no idea. I mean I kinda figured it came out before due to all the QoL poo poo this game has like turbo mode.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Oxxidation posted:

a lot. probably 40 hours at least if you're taking your time with it

Holy poo poo dogg why is this game so big?? I thought I was at least at the two-thirds mark by now.

Part of it is that I really have no idea where this story is going anymore! I remember the original as being pretty straightforward, we escape Midgar and follow Sephiroth because he's gonna do something something Lifeforce of the planet, but there are so many things going on in the background of Rebirth that it's basically a whole new story for me. Big one is the alternate-universe thing with Zack, obviously, but also like, who is that mysterious voice Aeris is talking to? And why am I having hallucinations every few games of Queen's Blood. And I know there's a third game coming out too, so I know we probably don't kill Sephiroth until #3, but where's this game even going to end?

game is good tho

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Also that Unicorn game is on sale

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1776250183690461255

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Bugblatter posted:

Someone tried to make the Amigara Fault sexy.

I don't read a lot of manga and especially not horror manga but I read the Enigma of Amigara Fault by chance after buying the Gyo hardcover (which includes that and another short story) and it become one of my favorites.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

FireWorksWell posted:

I tried the SaGa Emerald demo because I've seen a lot of hype for it and...I don't really think it's for me. The static portrait cutscene presentation and the voice acting didn't sit right with me, felt like a game from a decade ago. Maybe the other player characters have better voice direction but the puppet guy PS5 gets did not leave a good impression.

....yet not a word about thE BATTLE SYSTEM CURIOUS

For serious tho SaGa has always been mechanic heavy and narrative light so those things you're talking about are never meant to be the main draw of the game anyway

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

The battle system didn't grip me either :shrug:

Still have high hopes for Eiyuden Chronicles so this month's got something for me.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Just cleared the third region of Unicorn Overlord, cool game

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Immortals of Aveum doesn't make a great first impression. The into area looks pretty cool but there's not much room for exploration as you're just following an npc around and doing a bit of talking. The bad guys look pretty dumb. Your friend group is immediately fridged so you can get Big Mad and Find Your Hidden Power, whereupon Mentor steps in from stage left right on time to guide you. Suddenly you're in an entirely different environment, with the game not bothering to explain how you got there, how much time has passed, etc, because who cares right? Meh.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

These are physical copies only right?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

These are physical copies only right?

Yes.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Balls thanks!

Looking to expand my digital library at this point.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

For the record, the Switch version apparently runs just as well as the PS5 version

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Any good sim-ish racing recommendations? I’ve always been a huge GT fan and getting a G29 has made GT7 much more enjoyable. I’ve been eyeing WRC, but I have no idea what else is on PS5/4. If it helps I love GT/FM (not particularly Forza Horizon), enjoyed Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa on PC, single player stuff preferably

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arist posted:

For the record, the Switch version apparently runs just as well as the PS5 version

Yeah I want the digital version for the ps5 because then I can stream it on the PC from ps+ even if I’m out of the house.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Arist posted:

Just cleared the third region of Unicorn Overlord, cool game

I just cleared the second region, cool game

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Started replaying Dark Souls 2, cool game

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Escobarbarian posted:

Started replaying Dark Souls 2, cool game

Dark Souls 2 owns, it reminds me of when NES sequels were a bit weirder and 'out-there'. I think I played through as a sorcerer which was fun and easy-ish but watching Limmy double hand some greatswords looked like the real deal

Incidentally I just restarted Elden Ring, I got pathetically far at release but I always do with Souls games, time to really absorb it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Any good sim-ish racing recommendations? I’ve always been a huge GT fan and getting a G29 has made GT7 much more enjoyable. I’ve been eyeing WRC, but I have no idea what else is on PS5/4. If it helps I love GT/FM (not particularly Forza Horizon), enjoyed Dirt Rally and Assetto Corsa on PC, single player stuff preferably

WRC is solid, look at Assetto Corsa Competizione as well which is a more focused Assetto Corsa built around the GT3 racing world with actual season modes. If you have basic PS+ then F1 23 was one of the monthly games a few months ago as well.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
Beat ff5, i have now beaten all main ff games cept for 11.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
replayed dark souls 2 last year (vanilla), and it does indeed whip rear end. has a lot in common with elden ring due to the wide variety of viable builds and even the art and color grading is reminiscient of the lands between.

if you disliked ds2 on release but enjoyed er, give it another shot

i do think sotfs is wack, tho

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I love them both, sotfs is better but feels like a rom hack

The enemy and item placements lost a bit of the thematic cohesion

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I love them both, sotfs is better but feels like a rom hack

The enemy and item placements lost a bit of the thematic cohesion

ds2 vanilla IS the easiest soulsborne, but that's not a bad thing (provided you prioritize levelling adaptability first to the point that i-frames and estus speed is up to par with ds1, but that's such a minor thing you forget it entirely a couple hours in)

and yes the romhackness of sotfs just puts me off

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Its crazy they didn't include the option to play vanilla with SOTFS

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I enjoyed my first playthrough of DS2 quite a bit, but every time I try to go back it just looks so ugly and the combat feels so limp compared to other souls games games. It's the only one I'll probably never play through again. I have tried like 5 times and I always get bored.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

i guess i should mention i do play ds2 on pc where i’m not dealing with ps3 resolutions and performance

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Vikar Jerome posted:

Beat ff5, i have now beaten all main ff games cept for 11.

5 is the best one, good work. It's also the only one I've beaten :ssh:

acksplode
May 17, 2004

veni veni veni posted:

I enjoyed my first playthrough of DS2 quite a bit, but every time I try to go back it just looks so ugly and the combat feels so limp compared to other souls games games. It's the only one I'll probably never play through again. I have tried like 5 times and I always get bored.

Everyone says the DLC is really good and a step up from the base game, which is a shame because I don't see myself going back. I'm gonna replay DS3 and ER 20 times before I ever touch DS2 again. I do love what it was going for though, the vibes can be pretty great. The lore is intriguing and parts of the setting like Majula or Dragon Aerie are unforgettable.

e: brain fart, Majula not Medulla

acksplode fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Apr 5, 2024

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Majula song my beloved

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I think the Dark Souls 2 DLC is pretty overrated, which is to say it's roughly as good as the rest of the game, and I like it pretty well, but it's not like a crazy step up from the base game. The level design is more interesting, but it's still full of the same trademarked Dark Souls 2 Bullshit and the frozen area has some of the worst enemies in the entire game (particularly those porcupine things that swarm around you and damage you if you melee them).

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

AcidCat posted:

Immortals of Aveum doesn't make a great first impression. The into area looks pretty cool but there's not much room for exploration as you're just following an npc around and doing a bit of talking. The bad guys look pretty dumb. Your friend group is immediately fridged so you can get Big Mad and Find Your Hidden Power, whereupon Mentor steps in from stage left right on time to guide you. Suddenly you're in an entirely different environment, with the game not bothering to explain how you got there, how much time has passed, etc, because who cares right? Meh.

this was also my first impression

30 minutes of lore dialogue and then 30 minutes of slow tutorialing with baby combat and then another 20 minute intro that could have been where the game actually started without losing anything and then finally they drop you into what seems to be the actual game

i actually love a slow-burn self-indulgent overly-long tutorial when done well (MGSVTPP, Yakuza 0, etc) but this was just White Romcom Guy's Extremely Generic Hero's Journey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

wanted:dead is pushing out a new youtube ad specifically for one of their patches lol?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YNK0LtSu5w