Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
what's his name? i can check mine locally too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Cowslips Warren posted:

what's his name? i can check mine locally too.

Buzzworthy Bumblebee Origins Wheeljack.

Thanks!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Mine just arrived from Target's website and it's really fun. The parts count involved in creating the functioning compartment is ridiculous and it definitely shows on the robot mode but more of a fun way than a frustrating way. And for a really intricate transformation every step is pretty easy and fun.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Struck out at the third Target. Christ I hate “toy hunting”.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
Finally found one of these chonkers:

Dinobot shelf pic this weekend, maybe!

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Xenomrph posted:

I’ll check in the morning and I’ll pick one up if there’s any left.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
drat i don't see any at any of my local targets (i mean online. should i head to the store and ask to see the back? )

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Okay, here's my review of Cybertron Wheeljack with pictures, although I couldn't figure out how to crop everything.

Nice big chonky vehicle. I didn't realize that it'd be a mostly hollow box, but when everything's tabbed together, he feels nice and solid anyways. I like this big block mode. I guess his one intended purpose is to carry Cybertron Bumblebee, and now it's making me hope that Hasbro reissues the mold as something else. Maybe a Cliffjumper or a Bugbite. There's really not much else that can fit into his trunk, and you have to untab the roof to open the back. The features are kinda weird, but they're true to the weird choices of the episode. I really do like the look of the shielded mode, although the alternate "road" use of the shield is a weird choice.

The transformation is really unsatisfying; all the walls of the vehicle fold up onto his shins, and then the entire roof is just left hanging on his back, which has got to be like a third of the figure's volume. That means he doesn't stand great, and he doesn't really seem like he can pose dynamically either. I wouldn't recommend this to robot lovers. The arms turning into the front fender is kinda neat though.

But what really keeps sticking in my mind is the value proposition. It's no secret that Hasbro has been increasing prices while shrinking the physical size of the figures, and they may be free to go for whatever profit they think they can get away with, but it feels just very unsatisfying. Look how short he is compared to other deluxes. Even with his contemporaries he's a bit small, but next to the older figures he's much worse. Some legends thrown in there for their own comparison.

Except he's not a deluxe. He's being sold as a voyager. And in that respect it seems much less fair.

Once again, even judging from his contemporary, he is much smaller, but god drat look at the older figures. And they're asking more than $30 for this? God drat. The fact that so much of the toy's overall plastic is "wasted" as back kibble probably doesn't help the value of the sizing, but even then I have a lot of doubts.

But stepping back from that, back to the positives, the vehicle mode. That's fun! You can't really quite fit a lot of micromasters in through the back without unpegging the roof though. Maybe if he were bigger you could do more.

G2 Bumblebee is a bit too big to just drive in, but you can get him in if you take off the roof, and now...he's inside.

Maybe if you open him up completely it can kinda be a bit of a micromaster base? I dunno, just kinda spitballing.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TheDK posted:

Finally found one of these chonkers:

Dinobot shelf pic this weekend, maybe!

In robot mode there is a lateral slider just above each knee to bring the shins further apart from each other. Don't forget to use it!

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

SlothfulCobra posted:

Except he's not a deluxe. He's being sold as a voyager. And in that respect it seems much less fair.

I can kind of get what they were going for. Wheeljack's got a really wacky scale in that scene - his vehicle mode is large enough to fit Bumblebee inside, but his robot mode is the same size it normally is. So a Voyager budget would allow them to get the vehicle to be big enough to store Origin Bumblebee, with a transformation that keeps his robot mode at the right size. I'm not really a huge fan of that sort of slavish devotion to cheap 40 year old animation, but there's a certain logic to it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Nodosaur posted:

Defensor is untapped potential. I wish they’d actually do something with the Protectobots as a team in a story that doesn’t suck.

Also the best combiner is Rail Racer, and Ruination > Bruticus.

Just reminded that James Roberts didn't even give Rook half an issue before brutally slaughtering him so his self-created character could make up Defensor and now I'm mad again

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Okay, here's my review of Cybertron Wheeljack with pictures, although I couldn't figure out how to crop everything.

Seeing your review, I couldn't stop thinking how much I would have enjoyed that figure as a kid, just because you could put matchbox cars in the back. He wouldn't have been a favourite (I was way too into jets) but you bet he would have seen a lot of playtime.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Just reminded that James Roberts didn't even give Rook half an issue before brutally slaughtering him so his self-created character could make up Defensor and now I'm mad again

The CORPSE of his self created character.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
The worst part about killing Rook is that, with Scramble city's gimmick, having a bunch of untethered limbs is a good idea.

SlothfulCobra posted:

But what really keeps sticking in my mind is the value proposition. It's no secret that Hasbro has been increasing prices while shrinking the physical size of the figures, and they may be free to go for whatever profit they think they can get away with, but it feels just very unsatisfying. Look how short he is compared to other deluxes. Even with his contemporaries he's a bit small, but next to the older figures he's much worse. Some legends thrown in there for their own comparison.

Once again, even judging from his contemporary, he is much smaller, but god drat look at the older figures. And they're asking more than $30 for this? God drat. The fact that so much of the toy's overall plastic is "wasted" as back kibble probably doesn't help the value of the sizing, but even then I have a lot of doubts.

I still think the worst indicator of how bad the price increases are is TR Blitzwing to Legacy Blitzwing. Same dude, like two to three years apart, save size, but the TR one was $30 to the Legacy one being $50

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

They needed that extra twenty bucks for the hulk hands. Couldn't release Blitzwing without his famous hands.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Anora posted:

The worst part about killing Rook is that, with Scramble city's gimmick, having a bunch of untethered limbs is a good idea.

I still think the worst indicator of how bad the price increases are is TR Blitzwing to Legacy Blitzwing. Same dude, like two to three years apart, save size, but the TR one was $30 to the Legacy one being $50

The parts count and plastic density on Legacy Blitzwing is miles ahead of the Titans Return toy. Just in general, the articulation and materials quality of the WFC/Legacy era puts everything from Prime Wars and Thrilling 30 to shame... apart from the covid-era yellowing and clear plastic crisis.

I'm definitely paying more for Transformers nowadays but I also feel like I'm more getting my money's worth.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What's the over/under on Hasbro re-releasing core class Snarl in a future wave? Was he in any of the leaked upcoming listings?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I don't believe Core Class is particularly well-represented by recent leak compilation documents.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1hLZCNKO34HfKX1YoqiitWrjQHWSTL4xc5sYNLSVpgDE/mobilebasic

There's no indication of any core class package refreshes. However, separately to PRs, Hasbro might reship previous waves.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

I don't believe Core Class is particularly well-represented by recent leak compilation documents.

https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1hLZCNKO34HfKX1YoqiitWrjQHWSTL4xc5sYNLSVpgDE/mobilebasic

There's no indication of any core class package refreshes. However, separately to PRs, Hasbro might reship previous waves.

But they'll re-do core Optimus a dozen times. :argh:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I suspect the core dino toolings might be otherwise occupied this year.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Got a bunch of commissions for my fanverse. Gonna share em with you guys.

first, a bunch of variations of Soundwave minions already done by Decepticonaiden.

https://x.com/decepticonaiden/status/1773832790796087707 https://x.com/decepticonaiden/status/1776076577505226808 https://x.com/decepticonaiden/status/1776084522401980896

Next, here's Soundblaster from the existing Soundwave design Aiden did. They have a new G1 SW inspired head to contrast with Vanguardverse Soundwave's Prime-inspired face.

https://twitter.com/decepticonaiden/status/1773832405314318442

Also by Aiden, here's Bumblebee and Cliffjumper, who are sister and brother in this 'verse.

https://x.com/Ty_Rannos/status/1768300997309276632 https://twitter.com/decepticonaiden/status/1773832579059224914

Next, you guys like Seekers? Of course you do. Here's a bunch of them. These are by VinnieArtsAlot on Twitter. We'll start with the classic trio of Starscream, Skywarp, and Thundercracker:

And what would the Seekers be without variations?

Slipstream, Bitstream, Hotlink, Nacelle, Sunstorm, Blitzwing (sorry Triplechanger fans), Scarecraft (based on the WfC Sparkless Seeker), Air Hunter, and Wingstun. More of these guys to come!

But wait, there's more! With Starscream comes his partner, B.B., a Cyberjet (Cyberjets are larger aircraft who can carry passengers while Seekers are smaller attackers/out of scale fighter jets that are average TF sized) who turns into a bomber.

He has variations too: the ever loyal Dreadwing and Skyquake, as well as the bombastic Gigant Bomb

We also have Cyclonus, by Quillobyte_! He's the leader of the Knights of Unicron, a combiner team that serves as a cult of chaos bringer worshipers. They combine into Exarchon, whose consciousness extends to every member even when uncombined.

https://x.com/Quillobyte_/status/1773705118141050883

And of course he has a shared body type, with the Star Seeker Ferak!

And here's the next member of the Knights of Unicron, Provoke, based on the IDW2 character. Quillo did an excellent job in taking her rather basic design in the comic and translating it to something with a vehicle mode. She's characterized here as running hot and cold; a cold sniper when in the field, but an irritable and argumentative sort in her off time.

https://x.com/Quillobyte_/status/1776263970644504784

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Apr 5, 2024

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Scarecraft is a phenomenal name, dude.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Phy posted:

Scarecraft is a phenomenal name, dude.

thanks! My friend Keshet helped me think of it.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Xenomrph posted:

I've got a Wheeljack with your name on it. Send me some details!

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Is Legacy Animated Optimus any good?

Joe Fisto posted:

I've got a Wheeljack with your name on it. Send me some details!
Oh poo poo! Thanks!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Good handfeel, cute transformation, not particularly screen-accurate.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Xenomrph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJ4UHfp3rw

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

The CORPSE of his self created character.

okay, I'm even more mad. And Mirage was *right* there to be an extra limb if needed!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Xenomrph posted:

Oh poo poo! Thanks!

I think it's great.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Are those hollow inner thighs? On a Masterpiece figure?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Knormal posted:

Are those hollow inner thighs? On a Masterpiece figure?

No. It's CG rendered chrome reflecting weirdly on an upscaled image. You can see a screwhole in the "hollow" part to confirm that it's not hollow.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

okay, I'm even more mad. And Mirage was *right* there to be an extra limb if needed!

I liked Ambulon, the gimmick of "just turns into a leg" was pretty funny but yeah, once he's dead just let him be dead.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

TaurusOxford posted:

No. It's CG rendered chrome reflecting weirdly on an upscaled image. You can see a screwhole in the "hollow" part to confirm that it's not hollow.
Ah, you're right. Phew.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Both the cab mode and the trailer look ridiculous though. Huge overbite overhang on the cab and the arms on the trailer look extremely slapdash.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

the arms on the trailer look extremely slapdash.

Different powermaster :v:

But agreed, it's pretty bad when the original toy from 1988 manages to be more coherent

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
the Titan's Return version pulls off the trailer better.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

I liked Ambulon, the gimmick of "just turns into a leg" was pretty funny but yeah, once he's dead just let him be dead.

didn't Ratchet turn him into a gun during 'Remain In Light', which is perhaps only a sentence I can write about Transformers

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

didn't Ratchet turn him into a gun during 'Remain In Light', which is perhaps only a sentence I can write about Transformers

Yes, which means that at some point after death he was reassembled back into his intact form. I guess like how morticians prepare bodies for viewing?

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Ambulon, the first Weaponizer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Optimus also used the alt mode of another bot who was killed to get out of a bad situation once.

It was before he got the Matrix and around the time the Decepticons were becoming a thing.