Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

my god that life is strange colors game is the true epitome of dog poo poo with a budget. they give the girl the ability to read thoughts and don't even bother writing more than a handful of npcs in a town of dozens, dozens more. all that and YA flavor that makes the original look mature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Endorph posted:

but yeah idk, obvs i feel bad for the devs if they were getting creeped on but the weird like... self-important a lot of western single a devs have because they made a bad game with a gay in it is kind of infuriating. they really think theyre like, the first people to ever do it when theres been equivalent games for 20+ years.

i think it's a more general tendency to want to overinflate the social value of the art you create, especially in a smaller corporate setting where it feels like you're putting more of yourself into the end product rather than being environmental artist #23 in a team of 500

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ff7 remake has background npc text that makes lesbian relationships in its world canon, if you don't want to point to the writer deciding to lay on tifa and aerith's relationship extra extra thick on purpose and directly stating his intent to do this in an interview

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Vermain posted:

i think it's a more general tendency to want to overinflate the social value of the art you create, especially in a smaller corporate setting where it feels like you're putting more of yourself into the end product rather than being environmental artist #23 in a team of 500
sure but its also like, idk. when its in this specific context and they're winning games for impact it feels like the entire western industry is reinforcing it

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Winning a Keighley is more of a dishonor, let's be real... you're alongside Trending Gamer that will be canceled within 6 months for having a heated gamer moment and your award is given in the 20 second breaks between trailers

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just about any game people try to convince you is important to the gays, is secretly a hate crime

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Endorph posted:

sure but its also like, idk. when its in this specific context and they're winning games for impact it feels like the entire western industry is reinforcing it

does it have to be a positive impact

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

games for impact. yeah impacting my day and making it worse. thanks a lot jerks

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

just about any game people try to convince you is important to the gays, is secretly a hate crime

tell me why unironically felt like one tbh

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

quote:

“It took a three hour meeting in the writers room and one of the writers sharing an extremely personal story to get Zak to agree to get the content out,” said Littleton. “It wasn’t about us not wanting to have difficult topics in there, but Life Is Strange shines because that type of content is chosen extremely deliberately and it’s given runway, it’s given space to breathe.

okay i forgive square enix london because i would also ask these people to stop being so gay

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I can get wanting to have a game with gay or trans stuff not deal with the oppression dealt with IRL but when you make a giant document that details how nothing bad will happen to the protagonist due to them being trans and not wanting to upset people it's just like. offensive lol. I played a little indie RPG last month that had a transguy character, a gay (or at least bi) protagonist, an asexual, and the game just made all of their identities seem normal in the game world. This is what you want to do!

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dragons Dogma 2 has a gay elf that hangs outside my apartment all the time wanting to go on romantic strolls with me. Hes pretty cool

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it also has a bordello full of twinks

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I can get wanting to have a game with gay or trans stuff not deal with the oppression dealt with IRL but when you make a giant document that details how nothing bad will happen to the protagonist due to them being trans and not wanting to upset people it's just like. offensive lol. I played a little indie RPG last month that had a transguy character, a gay (or at least bi) protagonist, an asexual, and the game just made all of their identities seem normal in the game world. This is what you want to do!

Yeah, a big thing I think to aim for is to just... let people feel normal. Being singled out, even in a positive way, can feel kind of bad too. Just being allowed to exist as a person without having to qualify yourself is absolutely something appealing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, a big thing I think to aim for is to just... let people feel normal. Being singled out, even in a positive way, can feel kind of bad too. Just being allowed to exist as a person without having to qualify yourself is absolutely something appealing.
its fine for a character to be singled out if thats what youre going for tbh. its more just like... that happening in the narrative instead of as a weird marketing stunt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like i really wish an executive had stopped them from trying to market tell me why as the trans game, lol

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
I’m gonna do it, I’m gonna play Armored Core VI!

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

But why would Spiderman be leaving the hospital?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

like i really wish an executive had stopped them from trying to market tell me why as the trans game, lol

Every time someone mentions that game's name, my brain just immediately starts playing Backstreet Boys

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i just think of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TRemrRaPjc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Every time someone mentions that game's name, my brain just immediately starts playing Backstreet Boys
tell me why im playing such a lovely game

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

homeless snail posted:

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Because it’s gaypril.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Looking forward to the sequel to Gaypril, Gay

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the part of tell me why where they show you a guy is gay by having him playfight with dolls

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homophobia has finally been defeated, this is real representation

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

the part of tell me why where they show you a guy is gay by having him playfight with dolls

So playing with toys makes you gay?

poo poo, no wonder the GOP is worried, turns out 99.9% of children are extremely gay.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

kids dont play with toys anymore thats whats so hosed up about this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

no the guys like 30

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Colonel posted:

ff7 remake has background npc text that makes lesbian relationships in its world canon, if you don't want to point to the writer deciding to lay on tifa and aerith's relationship extra extra thick on purpose and directly stating his intent to do this in an interview

I haven't finished the remake yet but it makes more sense for Tifa and Aeris to hook up because they have more chemistry and things to relate to. Cloud isn't even himself most of the time, isn't clear on who he himself is, and for the most part doesn't really have chemistry with anyone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

no the guys like 30

Oh. Well, yes, if there's one thing I know for a fact adults don't do, it is bash their toys together while making pew pew noises.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Khanstant posted:

I haven't finished the remake yet but it makes more sense for Tifa and Aeris to hook up because they have more chemistry and things to relate to. Cloud isn't even himself most of the time, isn't clear on who he himself is, and for the most part doesn't really have chemistry with anyone.

More like Clod

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

More like Clod

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

homeless snail posted:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like cloud but yeah the funniest thing about doing "final fantasy vii but 3x more" is that it means you have twice as much time before cloud has untangled his brain from a web of ghost ex-boyfriends and space aliens

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Colonel posted:

i like cloud but yeah the funniest thing about doing "final fantasy vii but 3x more" is that it means you have twice as much time before cloud has untangled his brain from a web of ghost ex-boyfriends and space aliens

On the other hand

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's the ace of diamonds I picked!! He's a great magician

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

cumpantry posted:

games for impact. yeah impacting my day and making it worse. thanks a lot jerks

hellblade was good tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Never mind representation we need to deal with whoever made Ninja Theory think they were good at making action games.