Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jossar posted:

I'm guessing for my first successful run (or attempts at it), I should just try to focus on making it as far directly down as possible?

The main thing to realize is that the longer a session of Noita lasts, the more likely you are to die, no matter how far you've made it. It's a mistake to push through each level as fast as possible, but it's also a mistake to scrape every level for everything it has to offer. Even early levels are never "safe", and eventually you will make a lethal mistake.

My usual approach is to start each level by heading straight left or right, until I hit the edge of the level. Then go straight down, until I hit the bottom, and find a portal. Once that's done, I can do more exploring until I feel ready to move on. Striking out into the middle of the level (instead of keeping a wall to one side) from the get-go is dangerous, because you can attract aggro from more directions.

You can always try exploring side content; many of the levels have "bonus levels" to their left (but oddly enough, mostly not to their right). These can be a good way to inject some variety if you've gotten tired of regular runs. In particular, to the left of the Coal Pits is a fungal zone that's very high-risk high-reward. If you're having trouble consistently surviving the Hiisi Base (zone 4), then pulling wands from the fungal caves can be a decent way to get a leg up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Jossar posted:

EDIT: New fun one, was so excited about being able to polymorph glitch past Holy Mountain collapses that I forgot my own Homunculus would kill me.

Definitely did not know about the Homunculus animosity in that scenario. I would have been so mad lol

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Fungal caves is just plain stupid fun

Letmebefrank
Oct 9, 2012

Entitled

madmatt112 posted:

Fungal caves is just plain stupid fun

Always eat the fungus

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging

Yeah it's worth noting that the guy who murked you after you got that orb? He's harder than the endboss. A lot of bosses are harder than the endboss.

Unless you ponder your orbs like a proper wizard.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jossar posted:

Spent 10 minutes screwing around with wand design, then immediately died

The game is almost entirely about learning things, yourself. You really don't unlock anything critical for success like in other roguelikes like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy or whatever.

So time well spent, honestly.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jerusalem posted:

I really took the old thread title of "gently caress it, I'm going left" to heart when I first started playing the game.

Depending on the starting loadout you get, going up is the best. To grab one thing real quick.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Zesty posted:

The game is almost entirely about learning things, yourself. You really don't unlock anything critical for success like in other roguelikes like Binding of Isaac or Rogue Legacy or whatever.

???

This game has the cruelest, most player-hateful healing mechanic in the history of roguelikes and you have to kill one of two different bosses to even add the necessary spells to the loot table so that the RNG can have the possibility of loving you over rather than it just being utterly impossible.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

pseudorandom name posted:

???

This game has the cruelest, most player-hateful healing mechanic in the history of roguelikes and you have to kill one of two different bosses to even add the necessary spells to the loot table so that the RNG can have the possibility of loving you over rather than it just being utterly impossible.

two little helpful newbie things that don't need you to find anything fancy:

the red healy dudes in hiisi base heal their friends. if only there were something that made them your friend.

what happens if you put the starting spark on to the starting bomb wand?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

???

The healing mechanic is "get to the next level". You don't need healing spells or healing-related perks to beat the game, though they do make it a lot easier. Honestly though, there's no shame in installing a health regen mod. If it makes the game more fun for you, then have at it.

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
Steam thread reminded me that Noita exists so I started playing again.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Velocity Raptor posted:

Steam thread reminded me that Noita exists so I started playing again.

how did that first detonation go off, i'm genuinely confused lol

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING
I think it was the spark thing, maybe?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Velocity Raptor posted:

I think it was the spark thing, maybe?

it just wanted to explode

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Alright, that's enough for tonight, I think.

Was pleasantly surprised to find that you can survive the drop from fighting Tentacle Guy after grabbing the Orb and it takes you to Snowy, but apart from that the rest of the runs were more of a step backwards than anything else. Still don't know what I'm doing with wands, although I was able to make a good machinegun wand through copious application of Chainsaw runes.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, lightning from the lightning rock arced to the barrel, causing an explosion.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Wand crafting is complicated to figure out on your own. Spells can have mechanics that aren’t referenced at all in their stats. Weird number-y mechanics.

At some point you may be inclined to deep dive that kind of thing with tutorials and guides.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Wand wrapping comes to mind as a completely unexplained mechanic that makes sense once you realize it’s there, but many people would never figure it out on their own. (It’s me, I’m the idiot)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I didn’t know what was happening before I looked it up but there’s definitely a point where I was asking myself wtf some wands cast faster if light was the last spell.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Yeah, lightning from the lightning rock arced to the barrel, causing an explosion.
drat i had no idea arcing could happen through air

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Honestly though, there's no shame in installing a health regen mod. If it makes the game more fun for you, then have at it.

Wrong. Be shamed by your cowardice, cur!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I would install a health regen mod but all the internet online people that I have made up entirely in my head keep shouting at me and mocking me for it. :smith:

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
I did it after getting my poo poo repeatedly wrecked and not seeing anything past the first 3 biomes. After I got a finish I removed it and didn't look back.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Nothing wrong with some training wheels to get you past some initial frustrations. There's a lot to see and do after you get more comfortable with the game.

Or don't take them off. It's a single player game. Have fun.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

???

Which bosses are you referring to?

I would say there is only one spell in the game that you need to unlock that significantly affects the difficulty of future runs: Fireball Orbit, that you get from killing the Dragon in the Jungle. It does good enough damage that it can carry you for the first few levels. But even then it's not like you're finding that spell that often.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

High Alchemist or Master of Masters.

But really the correct way to play the game is to refuse to play the beta branch and then throw an emerald tablet on the Hissi anvil and then throw the resulting stone tablet into the alchemist hut in order to open the portal into the second tank, but, more importantly, spawn/permanently unlock the Wand Refresh in the upper left of the Frozen Fault without having to fight the High Alchemist.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

Almost every single spell unlocked by meta progression is either mostly irrelevant or locked to extremely high rarity/non-existence outside of the boss that unlocks it or random shop spells in The Works, so I don't see how unlocking them in a previous run matters at all. If you can traverse The Works you could just go beat up the boss that unlocks the spell. The only real exceptions for unlocks are the dragon orbit spells and nuke, the latter of which mostly just make things harder on you when a random hiisi picks up a wand and fires it at you.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I can't imagine trying to rely on nukes to get your first win. What a concept!

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I got my first Kolmi kill with Nuke! and then got pasted by falling ceiling chunks before I could go into the portal

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
New Noita challenge: nuke-only run

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!
Whenever I start the game with an acid flask I attempt a speed-run, as it's a quick boss kill if you throw it right. Not managed a kill yet, and certainly not in less than 5 minutes. I made it to within sight of the last portal to reach Kolmi but got killed, and it was already 7 minutes anyway. One day I will manage it, but there is no way I'll ever do a no-hit run. I've gone 2 biomes with no damage once, but that's about all I can do.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

I guess I'm making this a daily-ish diary until I give up?

No real motion in overall progress, but I am making it to Snowy/Hiisi more consistently, mostly because I'm trying to use digging wands to brute force my way through the levels. I did get a couple of better wand combinations, but it felt like the game was dropping a few good ones in my lap rather than me extracting value on my own knowledge.

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎

Gromit posted:

I did it after getting my poo poo repeatedly wrecked and not seeing anything past the first 3 biomes. After I got a finish I removed it and didn't look back.
Yeah, same. I wasn’t living long enough to learn anything so I gave myself slow health regen and tinker with wands everywhere until I felt more comfortable knowing what was worth taking down to the mountain and what wasn’t. Haven’t played with mods since and I’ve sunk about 700 hours in.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Jossar posted:

I guess I'm making this a daily-ish diary until I give up?

No real motion in overall progress, but I am making it to Snowy/Hiisi more consistently, mostly because I'm trying to use digging wands to brute force my way through the levels. I did get a couple of better wand combinations, but it felt like the game was dropping a few good ones in my lap rather than me extracting value on my own knowledge.

How much do you know about what this game has to offer? How deep does the rabbit hole go, as far as you know?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Quit trying to spoil the newbie and let them experience the magnificence that is blind Noita. The search for knowledge has corrupted us all, so we can only live vicariously through them now.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

High Alchemist or Master of Masters.

But really the correct way to play the game is to refuse to play the beta branch and then throw an emerald tablet on the Hissi anvil and then throw the resulting stone tablet into the alchemist hut in order to open the portal into the second tank, but, more importantly, spawn/permanently unlock the Wand Refresh in the upper left of the Frozen Fault without having to fight the High Alchemist.

funny words, what do they mean? :v:

I don't actually want to know!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I've mentioned it here before but my one real dislike about the game is there is no way of knowing how best to progress without running into areas that will destroy you or what to do after beating Kolmi.
Not all of us want to decipher the clues to all the secrets, but that's not the same as wanting everything spoiled.

What I'm saying is, as a new player you should investigate and learn a bunch of the deeper mechanics and weird zones, but at some point doing some Googling is going to fundamentally change how you play unless you are a genius and somehow work it all out yourself.

I posted a suggested play guide here a couple of months ago, but it probably has some small spoilers in it. I could also post some tips but they would be even more spoilery depending on how much you want to work out yourself. But I know for a fact if I didn't get wand build tips from YouTube I would not have played this game much, as some of the hidden mechanics people have suggested here make a huge difference in damage output.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
Honestly, the game hasn't even begun until you stumble upon the Fountain of Madness. I can't count the number of times I got stuck fighting the chefs in the Hiisi Bakery before realizing you just need to get one of them to follow you to Kolmi's lodge

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

HolHorsejob posted:

Honestly, the game hasn't even begun until you stumble upon the Fountain of Madness. I can't count the number of times I got stuck fighting the chefs in the Hiisi Bakery before realizing you just need to get one of them to follow you to Kolmi's lodge

The literal best part of this as someone who's played an okay amount, but hasn't made any real progress: I have no idea if this is a joke or actually in the game. And that's why this game owns so hard.

Don't tell me either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

After moving past the bakery, you get to The Magician's Butchery where a little guy throws sausages at you.