Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

Framboise posted:

I'm kind of looking forward to Bloomburrow, if not only because there's not supposed to be any humans in the set and thus we should hopefully see a bunch of fresh new characters and hopefully separate from this weird omenpath stuff for a little while.

Ral Zarek as an otter is already spoiled. There was another piece of art shown at the same time that appeared to be Jace as a fox, but the Ral one had a card name attached already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

generatrix posted:

Ral Zarek as an otter is already spoiled. There was another piece of art shown at the same time that appeared to be Jace as a fox, but the Ral one had a card name attached already.

I didn't like MaRo's answer to why Ral Zarek is in the set. He was basically like, "We need at least one PW in the set /shrug". Then do Ajani or something. At least that one's animal-like.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Frankly I don't see why they need another otter planeswalker when they already have Oko

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

generatrix posted:

oh for gently caress's sake :|

Characters can really just be anywhere and anything now lol

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
I am much more okay with doing an annual "everyone, get in here" big dumb mashup set if the concept makes it clear it's a big dumb mashup set. The race set is cool and it clearly pitches itself as a big dumb mashup, and I think it sounds cool. Thunder Junction pitched itself with a villain teamup, but they didn't make it clear that literally everything was going to be a big dumb mashup until reveals were happening.

(I also think once a year is way too often to do a big dumb mashup for the reasons people already brought up, but if they chill with including so many of the big-name people from their home planes and make more deep card art cuts it'll hopefully be fine. I guess there's worse things to do in your yearly almost-a-core set, so hopefully they get the right balance of returning characters.)

Cleretic posted:

A Wacky Races kind of thing seems neat, but I'm kinda wondering when exactly a new, central thing will turn up again. Maybe it's because I'm new to Magic and don't really know how they usually handle a post-'event' period, but it feels like everything post-MOM has been sorta struggling to find a story hook afterwards; kinda like how post-Endgame the MCU didn't seem to really know what to do with itself for a while.

Jace and Vraska wanting to lash out at the multiverse seems like it might become a thing, but it kinda hasn't yet, and I don't think they'd care about a race. And some of the non-planeswalker villains getting to unleash their bullshit outside their usual planes also seems like it has potential, but I'm not sure that's what they're actually doing, as much as someone like Eriette getting to run roughshod seems like it's a problem waiting to happen.

As someone who started paying attention to Magic a bit before War of the Spark, I'd honestly call this one of their better post-event story rollouts? They've always followed the same rough format: they gently caress around for a few sets because people are burnt out on big plots that have a few hints at what they're doing next, then they do some sets with increasing relevance to the big plot they're setting up, then a few sets to actually blow off the big plot they've been building for the past few years.

This post-big event story rollout is better because they told us the timeline for how they'll be going through that cycle from the start. This year they did the Kellen arc that was mostly low-impact dithering around the multiverse that had hints at what the next big arc was and ended with a confirmation. Next year they're doing sets that have their own arc but have increasingly important chunks of the big story they're building up to. The year after that, they're going to have the actual big dumb arc that's the climax for things they've been hinting at for years. And it's better because unlike previous story arcs we aren't sitting here going "wait, are they starting a new big dumb story arc yet, does any of this matter" because they actually set our expectations at the start this time.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Framboise posted:

oh for gently caress's sake :|

Characters can really just be anywhere and anything now lol

I'm pretty sure that Ral is the only non-new character in Bloomburrow, Fox Jace is from the bonus sheet for the set, which is 'what if planeswalkers were just cute animals'.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
I don't know if it's confirmed but Bloomburrow could be a plane where you're magically transformed into an animal when you go there. Like how if a walker goes to Segovia, they're tiny and everything seems proportional but when they summon a Segovian Angel on like Ravnica or something, it's the size of fly.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Lurks With Wolves posted:

As someone who started paying attention to Magic a bit before War of the Spark, I'd honestly call this one of their better post-event story rollouts? They've always followed the same rough format: they gently caress around for a few sets because people are burnt out on big plots that have a few hints at what they're doing next, then they do some sets with increasing relevance to the big plot they're setting up, then a few sets to actually blow off the big plot they've been building for the past few years.

This post-big event story rollout is better because they told us the timeline for how they'll be going through that cycle from the start. This year they did the Kellen arc that was mostly low-impact dithering around the multiverse that had hints at what the next big arc was and ended with a confirmation. Next year they're doing sets that have their own arc but have increasingly important chunks of the big story they're building up to. The year after that, they're going to have the actual big dumb arc that's the climax for things they've been hinting at for years. And it's better because unlike previous story arcs we aren't sitting here going "wait, are they starting a new big dumb story arc yet, does any of this matter" because they actually set our expectations at the start this time.

That all makes some sense. I guess coming in with Wilds of Eldraine is an especially odd angle for that, because I've had this general knowledge that there have been stakes very recently (and then later seeing how rad the actual Phyrexian cards are), but every set I've actually been here for has kinda just felt like it's spinning its wheels, setting things in motion but without a lot of show as to what it could be.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

AngryBooch posted:

I don't know if it's confirmed but Bloomburrow could be a plane where you're magically transformed into an animal when you go there. Like how if a walker goes to Segovia, they're tiny and everything seems proportional but when they summon a Segovian Angel on like Ravnica or something, it's the size of fly.

That was confirmed, yes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Haha I started pretty much during the bigger ramp up for Phyrexia arc and by the end of it I was so tired of it I couldn't wait for it to just be over and still dislike a few characters from it, like Jace. It was also a demonstration that no matter how much of a display they make of pretending there are stakes, they are constitutionally incapable of sacrificing IP in the pursuit of storytelling. Not that they necessarily must kill anyone to tell a story, but they make a big show of ooh we're gonna kill these folks and then I'm edistely say "just kidding" and I'd rather them just craft a story where they don't make threats they are unwilling to actually execute.

There were a ton of cool card arts for sure though, Phyrexia had incredible lands apes.

I've been enjoying the contrast of sets that just have a fun self contained theme without many cards dedicated to building up another big bad wolf to huff and puff at their brick house stable of marketable characters.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Khanstant posted:

Haha I started pretty much during the bigger ramp up for Phyrexia arc and by the end of it I was so tired of it I couldn't wait for it to just be over and still dislike a few characters from it, like Jace. It was also a demonstration that no matter how much of a display they make of pretending there are stakes, they are constitutionally incapable of sacrificing IP in the pursuit of storytelling. Not that they necessarily must kill anyone to tell a story, but they make a big show of ooh we're gonna kill these folks and then I'm edistely say "just kidding" and I'd rather them just craft a story where they don't make threats they are unwilling to actually execute.

There were a ton of cool card arts for sure though, Phyrexia had incredible lands apes.

I've been enjoying the contrast of sets that just have a fun self contained theme without many cards dedicated to building up another big bad wolf to huff and puff at their brick house stable of marketable characters.

Hey, unlike Elspeth, Gideon is dead, dead.

"Kytheon was at peace. At peace and, finally, redeemed…"

R.I.P. in Peace

E:

Cannot believe how dirty they did Dak Fayden. I guess there was only enough room for two Izzet-color PWs and Ral and Saheeli already filled those slots.

E2:

Oh, you said you started during the Phyrexia ramp up so War of the Spark stuff wouldn't mean much to you.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Apr 5, 2024

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
MOM had this aspect to it that they killed off a lot of fan-favourite characters for the Vorthos crowd* but then the ones known by people less into the lore largely got off without a scratch. There's consequences if you shut off the part of the brain that knows who the face characters are.

*Multiple people independently saying "Look how they massacred my boy" about slobad, for example

Batterypowered7 posted:

Hey, unlike Elspeth, Gideon is dead, dead.

And still on Hotpockets!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

MOM had this aspect to it that they killed off a lot of fan-favourite characters for the Vorthos crowd* but then the ones known by people less into the lore largely got off without a scratch. There's consequences if you shut off the part of the brain that knows who the face characters are.

*Multiple people independently saying "Look how they massacred my boy" about slobad, for example

Yeah, MOM had consequences on, like, the B and C-tier. Not the figures your average player has actual feelings about as characters, but the ones you'd see and go 'oh yeah that guy' and probably know the effects of, but only specific crowds actually had strong character feelings for.

The one I always think of is Etali. (Mostly because he was a very weird but interesting inclusion in Blame Game.)

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 5, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And still on Hotpockets!

Yeah I was hyperbolic, they did actually kill off some folks and I think their main goal was to change the mechanic on planar travel and planeswalking in universe and they accomplished that too.

Slobad was the saddest lost bc he just had a super sad story all around. Oh yeah getting rid of Lukka off screen was a pretty funny highlight.

I think Jace is the primary character I feel jerked around about. His involvement in Phyrexian was to basically gently caress over the last ditch effort squad by falling for the world's most obvious ploy against the protests of everyone. This gets his dumbass infected, bc he's too busy violating compleated Vraskas mind and will for his own satisfaction. After that hes starts infecting the others and coming up with a lovely plan on his own to just kill everyone, and in a stupid way at that.

The best thing he did in that story was get stabbed by a holy sword, but she didn't finish the job hard enough apparently.

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
Whenever my beloved Eldrazi aren't in a set, people should be asking, where are the Eldrazi?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Sexual Aluminum posted:

Whenever my beloved Eldrazi aren't in a set, people should be asking, where are the Eldrazi?

Well, they're back in MH3

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Do they do a story for Modern Horizon sets or is pure dump of cards meant to shake up the old cars formats?

x420ReDdIT_Br0nYx
Jan 21, 2013

Sit on my Jace posted:

Frankly I don't see why they need another otter planeswalker when they already have Oko

Twink Death
{1}{B}
Instant
Destroy target planeswalker

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Horizons/Legends sets so far have been full of nostalgia bait, so MH3 is nostalgia bait for 2010s magic players I guess

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Cleretic posted:

That all makes some sense. I guess coming in with Wilds of Eldraine is an especially odd angle for that, because I've had this general knowledge that there have been stakes very recently (and then later seeing how rad the actual Phyrexian cards are), but every set I've actually been here for has kinda just felt like it's spinning its wheels, setting things in motion but without a lot of show as to what it could be.

Well the setup is that the resolution of MoM established a new status quo and Eldraine, Ixalan, Murder and Outlaw Junction have been exploring that.

Eldraine was about the power vacuum created by the death of the king and queen during the war.

Ixalan was about the factions exploring for allies and tech to help them fight off the next invasion.

Murder was about settling scores from the war.

And Thunder is about opportunists taking advantage of the new holes in reality to enrich themselves.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Khanstant posted:

Do they do a story for Modern Horizon sets or is pure dump of cards meant to shake up the old cars formats?

It's mostly cool stuff that exists in the wider world, as far as I know. You know, like an old core set but with gonzo stuff like Emrakul chilling in Innistrad's moon instead of incredibly generic creatures.

EDIT: VVVVV A good point, cool stuff that exists or existed at some point. Point is, it's not a fully contained story, just stuff that seemed like it'd be a cool card.

Lurks With Wolves fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Apr 5, 2024

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Khanstant posted:

They make a lot of cards for characters and lore from older stories typically. Asmo, Carthalion, Dihada, Serra, Urza and Yawg when they were human, etc.

MH3 looks like it's filling in a lot of lore from more recent stories with Eldrazi, more stuff on Kaladesh, and featuring Ajani when he was a normal cat man on Alara.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Oh that's actually pretty cool, exploring established characters with new history and such without tying it to a new story. I'm sure there's plenty of cool ideas that get left on the table not being core to current sets and MH is a neutral place to execute those errant concepts.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Khanstant posted:

Slobad was the saddest lost bc he just had a super sad story all around. Oh yeah getting rid of Lukka off screen was a pretty funny highlight.

Lukka got killed on screen in one of the side stories. He basically assimilated a bunch of Ikoria's wildlife into a giant meat mech suit while trying to hunt down and kill/assimilate the remaining humans from his old city state, only to get lured into a trap where he was killed by Vivien and the Jeskai apex predator legendary.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Sexual Aluminum posted:

In Innistrad's moon.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah the reactions to nissa and the like was "oh no! This is bad"

After lukka managed to ally himself with team villan several times on accident, having him compleat himself because he thought he was built different had the reaction of "yeah this tracks"

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Lukka died as he lived: a huge loving dipshit doing the dumbest thing possible at all times

Remember that he compleated himself by walking up to one of vorinclex's lil monsters and bonding with it

like a clown would do

at the circus

Edit: also everyone with him told him exactly not to do that and he did it anyway

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
There’s no point to putting the Eldrazi in a set unless Wizards has the balls to make the set as cool as RoE was

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Silhouette posted:

Lukka died as he lived: a huge loving dipshit doing the dumbest thing possible at all times

Remember that he compleated himself by walking up to one of vorinclex's lil monsters and bonding with it

like a clown would do

at the circus

Edit: also everyone with him told him exactly not to do that and he did it anyway

Please don't disparage clowns by comparing them to Lukka

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Right, he's a Clown Robot.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

honestly shame that both lukka and tibalt died because we now have a critical lack of absolute idiot dipshit planeswalkers who show up just to gently caress up :v:

(also funny we never got a phyrexian tibalt card despite him being compleated in the story. rip)

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Mix. posted:

we now have a critical lack of absolute idiot dipshit planeswalkers who show up just to gently caress up :v:

Jace is back.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
His form of mind control is more terrifying than phyresis, at least you can tell when someone goes all Phyrexian because they start oozing gross stuff and getting all biometallic and haranguing folks about joining their new church.
.Jace just casually mind controls people to see and believe what he wants and he could make them just not know about it or appear not to.

Jace is gonna end up at a brain plane and settle into megabrain mountain, and become the big bad villain trying to carry out his misguided goals on way too big of a scale too fast by jaceifying whole planes.

If Jace doesn't end up the villain of the next story I will eat his hat.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I realize my deck needs some sort of tutor. Zero tutor means I am lucking my way into getting the drat card I want.

I just emptied my entire deck to find dross scorpion at the 2nd to last card in the bottom.

:whitewater:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I realize my deck needs some sort of tutor. Zero tutor means I am lucking my way into getting the drat card I want.

I just emptied my entire deck to find dross scorpion at the 2nd to last card in the bottom.

:whitewater:

Is this for a Bosh deck? Can run Gamble, Reckless Handling, and Goblin Engineer

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

Is this for a Bosh deck? Can run Gamble, Reckless Handling, and Goblin Engineer

my favorite deck is a modified necron deck, and it works but i want to pull more cards out and make it still necrony but with better cards lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Mix. posted:

honestly shame that both lukka and tibalt died because we now have a critical lack of absolute idiot dipshit planeswalkers who show up just to gently caress up :v:

(also funny we never got a phyrexian tibalt card despite him being compleated in the story. rip)

Jace exists

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

my favorite deck is a modified necron deck, and it works but i want to pull more cards out and make it still necrony but with better cards lol

Blacks got plenty of unconditional tutors. If you don't want them to be too Spikey, and depending on whether you're terribly graveyard centric, you can play: Final Parting, Increasing Ambition, Entomb, Buried Alive, and Unmarked Grave.

Entomb's like $10 and Buried Alive is like $7, but everything else is dirt cheap.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Well one of the deck's wincon is disciple of the vault, so I'll need a card that can get a creature out of the graveyard or deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Well one of the deck's wincon is disciple of the vault, so I'll need a card that can get a creature out of the graveyard or deck.

Junk Diver, Scrap Trawler, Foundry Inspector*, and a sacrifice outlet. It's the KCI combo, but you really don't want to explain timing rules that feel like cheating to a casual table.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 6, 2024