Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a fine film

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Pretty sure that means it was good. You just didn't like it.

I mean, art has many reasons. One is to produce thought. If a piece of art caused you to think about it for a year, it can't be bad. The "bad" is just your reaction to it.

And yes, I know ghost of mars is considered a bad movie.

Art is weird.

Also, don't date artists. Then you start posting like this ^^^^^

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I didnt like Spirited Away at all, but I did main No-Face ins Studio Ghibli Tussle 2: My Son is Bad

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
If the point of your art is for people to think it is bad then maybe you should rethink art.

You know who else made bad art and also did a lot of horrible things? That's right, George Bush Jr.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Ghosts of Mars is the Final Fantasy of John Carpenter films.

It loving sucks.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

Pretty sure that means it was good. You just didn't like it.

I mean, art has many reasons. One is to produce thought. If a piece of art caused you to think about it for a year, it can't be bad. The "bad" is just your reaction to it.

And yes, I know ghost of mars is considered a bad movie.

Art is weird.

Also, don't date artists. Then you start posting like this ^^^^^

Art owns and when anyone says it's good or bad I automatically translate into "like or don't like." It's just how you discuss art. Something that sucks can still be effective art to someone or just liked and enjoyed by a niche. Often the best art is inherently off-putting to many groups of people, but pursuing what makes that art niche good means disregarding what things are likeable by more groups broadly.

And I think the reason I remembered it was both the start of an interest in how the art is made in terms thinking of how it could be different and just he is a very competent and talented filmaker so even when he makes a mess it's more memorable than bad movies I saw before the that I just didnt care about and washed off my mind after seeing or flipping away.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Old Mario movie > new Mario movie. They hosed up the DK rap. They managed to go from "gently caress YEAH" to "what the gently caress is this" in like 3 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMd1rsJJ0M Also the movie has like no story and is just a collection of references.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Duck and Cover posted:

Old Mario movie > new Mario movie. They hosed up the DK rap. They managed to go from "gently caress YEAH" to "what the gently caress is this" in like 3 seconds. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sMd1rsJJ0M Also the movie has like no story and is just a collection of references.

I unironically enjoy the old mario movie. It's a very bad film by pretty much any standard apart from the set design, which is surprisingly awesome. The entire film looks like someone got really, really high while watching Blade Runner at the same time as someone that was even more high told them about the Mushroom Kingdom. Hoskins and Leguizamo are visibly beyond caring and just getting silly with it, and Dennis Hopper is so hosed up that he will eat every inch of the scenery. It's a fanastic awful film that looks way better than it has any right to while being an incomprehensible mess of nonsense.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Duck and Cover posted:

Old Mario movie > new Mario movie. They hosed up the DK rap. They managed to go from "gently caress YEAH" to "what the gently caress is this" in like 3 seconds. Also the movie has like no story and is just a collection of references.

God, ALL the voices I hear from trailers are so far off. I want to say it's an accent thing, but that can't be the case as I've watched tons of US films and that's never been an issue. Every single time someone opens their mouth the completely wrong voice pops out - yes, even Jack Black as Bowser, which is apparently unpopular.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The new Mario movie apparently at the last minute had the executive producer show up, tell the sound guy to rip out all the mario music, and replace it with licensed classic rock.

Which coincidentally is the absolute most dogshit parts of the movie

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I unironically enjoy the old mario movie. It's a very bad film by pretty much any standard apart from the set design, which is surprisingly awesome. The entire film looks like someone got really, really high while watching Blade Runner at the same time as someone that was even more high told them about the Mushroom Kingdom. Hoskins and Leguizamo are visibly beyond caring and just getting silly with it, and Dennis Hopper is so hosed up that he will eat every inch of the scenery. It's a fanastic awful film that looks way better than it has any right to while being an incomprehensible mess of nonsense.

The old movie is dumb fun, the new movie is bland reference nothingness. Which makes it bad. I think the only redeeming thing is Lumalee.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Apr 5, 2024

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
hey hey hey this is your reminder that Star Wars Galaxies was pretty good for a while until they hosed it up

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Art owns and when anyone says it's good or bad I automatically translate into "like or don't like." It's just how you discuss art. Something that sucks can still be effective art to someone or just liked and enjoyed by a niche. Often the best art is inherently off-putting to many groups of people, but pursuing what makes that art niche good means disregarding what things are likeable by more groups broadly.

Sonic diaper inflation backwards knees hyper mpreg art owns and maybe the best art? Bold statements, bold, bold statements. I appreciate the moxie and hustle tho.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Technowrite posted:

hey hey hey this is your reminder that Star Wars Galaxies was pretty good for a while until they hosed it up

i bought star wars galaxies on launch day and it is by far the worst mmo I have ever played by a wide margin

MMORPGS I have played:
UO > City of Heroes > City of Villains >>> Dark Age of Camelot > World of Warcraft >>> Neverwinter >> Star Wars Galaxies

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Quote-Unquote posted:

I got this really cool collectors edition DVDs recently that came with art books and behind the scenes poo poo thicker than the movie itself and it's really rad to browse through. Lots of weird on set photos, surprising number of bare asses. It is a really cool movie and I think has gotten better over time, the anticapitalist cyberpunk dystopia is such a wild swing for the Mario Brothers universe and worth seeing.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zn3Yo5ea5L8

There's a bit at the very beginning where he explains the producers idea for the original movie which was kinda cool.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

syntaxfunction posted:

You know who else made bad art and also did a lot of horrible things?

Hideo Kojima assassinated the former prime minster of japan but he also made some bad art so he's a man of contrasts

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Technowrite posted:

this has never been proven

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy

Vampire Panties posted:

My biggest complaint against RTSs is they've all devolved into APM clickfests or rock-paper-scissor unit matchups. I'm really interested in the new Planetary Annihilation game because it seems like designing a better economy will have direct benefits in game.

You couldn't chill n turtle and build walls anymore.
Starcraft turned everything into sweat fest only won by those who were studying the hotkeys while we were having fun building turrets.

I will never remember any hotkey for any rts and screw the communities that tell me to.
(Wargame would've been cool if entire community wasn't /pol/ putinists and or neonazis and if it didn't want you to to do the jobs of every rank of officer from 4 branches of combined arms simultaneously)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Another reason TA shoulda won the RTS conflict

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Wasn't there supposed to be a remake of Age of Mythology in the works? That would be fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vakal posted:

Wasn't there supposed to be a remake of Age of Mythology in the works? That would be fun.

It is and comes out this year iirc? I vaguely recall it wont include the expansion that came out in... 2016 what the gently caress???

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Age of Mythology pissed me off because the expansion decided that instead of adding another pantheon from anywhere else in the wider world, they just added Greeks 2.0 with essentially made up fanfic gods.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Technowrite posted:

SWG is the only traditional MMO i've ever sunk real hours into, and honestly I think its because I quit drinking/moved/got really into smoking weed/discovered Tortoise on Pandora

I got lucky and randomly joined a high level guild and got to tag along on a multi-hour planet jumping raid to kill all the world bosses. As long as I just sat there, all the enemies ignored me. If i played for another six months then I could level up enough to push buttons with the rest of the guild, but I noped right out (:lol: into War Thunder)

haddedam posted:

Starcraft turned everything into sweat fest only won by those who were studying the hotkeys while we were having fun building turrets.

I will never remember any hotkey for any rts and screw the communities that tell me to.
(Wargame would've been cool if entire community wasn't /pol/ putinists and or neonazis and if it didn't want you to to do the jobs of every rank of officer from 4 branches of combined arms simultaneously)

when the world was young and Total Annihilation was new, my roommates and I would spend 45 minutes or so queuing up our bases / units, and then go out to dinner. When we got back our computers would be chugging at like 3 FPS from all the stuff and we'd play out the rest of the game. I'm not saying I want to commit 2+ hours to a RTS game again, but I wish the pace was a lot slower

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

video game graphics and development are good

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

haldolium posted:

hosed up if true.

...wait, phew

*rests easily

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

galagazombie posted:

Age of Mythology pissed me off because the expansion decided that instead of adding another pantheon from anywhere else in the wider world, they just added Greeks 2.0 with essentially made up fanfic gods.

Also they’re just categorically better than everyone else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Played Doom and Doom 2 coop with some youngins in the family and yeah, shooting the cyberdemon until it dies remains glorious even in this age of GaaS bullshit.

galagazombie posted:

Theres an expansion that added Chinese gods. It was fun! i think. It was a decade ago.

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Technowrite posted:

I dont know about "good" more like wonderfully flawed and janky. I mean I definitely had fun with it but it was the kind of unique mess of systems and ideas you dont really see anymore these days especially in big money MMOs.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.

haldolium posted:

I've been watching youtube docs on the making of older games (tomb raider, diablo, etc) and even back then developers were under insane amounts of crunch, basically living at the office and working 14 hour days, 7 days a week

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

dsf posted:

I dont know about "good" more like wonderfully flawed and janky. I mean I definitely had fun with it but it was the kind of unique mess of systems and ideas you dont really see anymore these days especially in big money MMOs.

IIRC the original mechanic to introduce Jedi was going to make something like 1/10000th of the users into Jedi, and they would have to go on a shitload of Jedi-specific quests to develop their force powers and build a lightsaber

I played long enough to get into flying, which was originally presented as a MMO Squadrons, but really was a 3rd person mini game like Rogue Squadron

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Outpost22 posted:

I've been watching youtube docs on the making of older games (tomb raider, diablo, etc) and even back then developers were under insane amounts of crunch, basically living at the office and working 14 hour days, 7 days a week

It was bad right from the start of big game development, but the 90s was when "all crunch, all the time" and "lure people in with the 'dream' job, then grind them to dust before they get smart enough to quit" poo poo kicked in and it's never stopped since. I was hearing all the horror stories back then and resolved to never work a video game industry job.

Vampire Panties posted:

IIRC the original mechanic to introduce Jedi was going to make something like 1/10000th of the users into Jedi, and they would have to go on a shitload of Jedi-specific quests to develop their force powers and build a lightsaber

I played long enough to get into flying, which was originally presented as a MMO Squadrons, but really was a 3rd person mini game like Rogue Squadron

Star Wars RPGs whether on computers or pen and paper have always suffered from the problem of why would anyone want to be anything other than a jedi. And none of them have ever addressed the concept well or made non-jedi options even slightly enticing.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Apr 5, 2024

Redezga
Dec 14, 2006

The obvious solution is to make it like a large scale Space Station 13 type game where being an imperial janitor is the most powerful and menacing threat in the universe.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Random Stranger posted:

It was bad right from the start of big game development, but the 90s was when "all crunch, all the time" and "lure people in with the 'dream' job, then grind them to dust before they get smart enough to quit" poo poo kicked in and it's never stopped since. I was hearing all the horror stories back then and resolved to never work a video game industry job.

Star Wars RPGs whether on computers or pen and paper have always suffered from the problem of why would anyone want to be anything other than a jedi. And none of them have ever addressed the concept well or made non-jedi options even slightly enticing.

One of the few good things The Mandalorian did was limit Jedi to a few episodes. Ofc they gave him a lightsaber because Star Wars

dsf
Jul 1, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

ahh yeah I forgot about that, I was one of the few people that didnt care about being a jedi. mostly I remember wiping out whole groups with my insanely unbalanced combat medic mind poison (which either did not require LOS or it was not even implemented in the first place) and having my pet AT-ST killing anyone who survived. so it was fun for me, at least

iirc the jedi stuff wasnt even implemented at release but they were still pretending that it was just a big secret that nobody discovered yet

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Quote-Unquote posted:

Pretty sure the same thing happened to John Carpenter, who made lots of vibrant, exciting and tense films and then made Ghosts of Mars.

John Carpenter's real masterpiece, John Carter, is criminally underrated.

Technowrite posted:

SWG seemed like it would be cool if you were willing to no-life it for a year and accept that only one person on the server was going to be dedicated enough to become a Jedi.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 5, 2024

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

haddedam posted:

If you're turtling in an RTS you meant to play a town building game instead

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Then you play SimCity and you're like wtf where's the other team

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Just play Pharaoh/Cleopatra instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
UT2k4 onslaught was the peak of team based map control and capture point gameplay with vehicles. We have only regressed into battlefield 42 copy pastes since.