Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

As having now viewed the Wender's film Perfect Days, I can only say the people clamoring for the Japanese pick for best international nom oscar were loving insane. That poo poo slapped, in the parlance of the youth.

I’m having trouble parsing this post. Did you like it or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I rewatched Get Out for like the 3rd time, it is a perfect movie, except now i feel bad because i havent seen ANY of the other jordan peele movies, since i heard they were all worse in some way

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Jay Rust posted:

I rewatched Get Out for like the 3rd time, it is a perfect movie, except now i feel bad because i havent seen ANY of the other jordan peele movies, since i heard they were all worse in some way

I think better or worse than Get Out is up for debate, but Us loving rules.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nope is the best movie he’s done imo

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i do think each of Jordan Peele's movies has been a step down from the previous one but none of them are, like, bad

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

CelticPredator posted:

Nope is the best movie he’s done imo

Nope is so goddamn good at every turn. One of my fave movies of the past 10 years.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I absolutely love all of them but Us is my favourite (I’m a big fan of weird ambitious poo poo)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

BonoMan posted:

Nope is so goddamn good at every turn. One of my fave movies of the past 10 years.

I think about it a lot when I look up at the sky and see monkeys lol.

I think I’ve watched it more times than any movie in the last decade just on a “ah what should I watch, idk nope sounds great”

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Was feeling pretty down on Peele because Us was watchable but a misfire and I never thought Get Out lived up to the hype and I was convinced Nope was gonna suck and then it was his best movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Jay Rust posted:

Being worse than Get Out isn’t really a bad thing, Get Out is an extremely high bar to clear. I liked both Us and Nope a lot.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Yeah, Get Out is setting the bar high. Complaining that Us or Nope aren't as good is like complaining that Scorsese hasn't made another Godfather when he's also made Godfather II.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Bright Bart posted:

Yeah, Get Out is setting the bar high. Complaining that Us or Nope aren't as good is like complaining that Scorsese hasn't made another Godfather when he's also made Godfather II.

nobody tell him

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Us is pretty great but go in with the understanding it's more Outer Limits than Twilight Zone.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Baron von Eevl posted:

Us is pretty great but go in with the understanding it's more Outer Limits than Twilight Zone.

Which is probably better for it because we all know what happened when Jordan Peele actually did a Twilight Zone

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Bright Bart posted:

Serious debate going on in my head on whether I should probate for this post.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

nobody tell him

scorso make same moopie

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Huh. I thought the third one was the one nobody liked.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

godfather 3 it's not one of scorsese's best movies, is a true statement

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Bright Bart posted:

Huh. I thought the third one was the one nobody liked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGRZ_JHQSfw

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
It's hard to say what's the best but it definitely feels like Nope is the most refined of his movies so far- like his skills as a director have clearly developed a lot in the making of all three movies. I see it as more like comparing, say, Cronenberg's Shivers to The Brood. Both very good movies but you can see him learning more in terms of pure technique and visual flair.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That poster has been popping up in several threads I read recently and I’m getting more and more sure they’re a troll

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Bright Bart posted:

Lol

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

Godfather I IMDb score: 9.2
Godfather II IMDb score: 9.0
Godfather III IMDb score: 7.6

I know IMDb is often wrong on what movies are bad or good but like what gives? Are you guys saying the second one is the one fewer people like? That the third one is underrated? Or that both sequels were bad?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Dunno about those nerds but G1 and G2 are good and G3 is pretty mid.

Watched Monkey Man , it absolutely rules.

Watched Late Night With The Devil, this was great and I don't give a poo poo about several bits of AI-generated set design tbh.

E: lol didn't even notice the Scorsese...

Failed Imagineer fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 5, 2024

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Bright Bart posted:

Godfather I IMDb score: 9.2
Godfather II IMDb score: 9.0
Godfather III IMDb score: 7.6

I know IMDb is often wrong on what movies are bad or good but like what gives? Are you guys saying the second one is the one fewer people like? That the third one is underrated? Or that both sequels were bad?

Ok well, it's just that you wrote Scorsese, when it's Coppola is who directed the godfathers

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

DRAT. I don't know what happened there. I even had an imagine of the man and his daughter in my head when I was writing that sentence but it came out like it did

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's hard to say what's the best but it definitely feels like Nope is the most refined of his movies so far- like his skills as a director have clearly developed a lot in the making of all three movies. I see it as more like comparing, say, Cronenberg's Shivers to The Brood. Both very good movies but you can see him learning more in terms of pure technique and visual flair.

I still don't think it quite stuck the third-act change in tone, but scene-by-scene Nope is hit after hit after hit in a way that feels oddly rare for a film of its scale these days. It's got the rewatchability of something like Twister or Tremors.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

Hollismason posted:

Serious debate going on in my head on whether I should probate for this post.

Deserves a $10 to $30 toll tbh.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

honestly the only stuff that really blew me away in Nope was everything involving Steven Yuen's character. that stuff was extremely good, though.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think what makes Us stand out is that Get Out and Nope work as pure scary movies, even if you don’t get the metaphor, but Us is just the metaphor.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Us has plenty of horror elements, probably more than Get Out.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Us also had evil Tim Heidecker, which is one of the all-time most hilarious and bizarre performances. The little helping hand psych he does.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

checkplease posted:

Us has plenty of horror elements, probably more than Get Out.

Yeah but you can enjoy Get Out as just a scary movie about getting Get Outed, you can enjoy Nope just as a UFO movie with an unrelated killer monkey story in it. But if you don’t get the central metaphor of Us, it’s confusing and weird.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's certainly weird either way, that doesn't mean it's without meaning beyond a social message. It's less about social commentary than Get Out.

Silky Slim
Jul 12, 2006
Makes a run for the gun circle....
Catching up on things and here are some takes that get increasingly behind on this thread:

-Get Out felt more cohesive but Us felt more slick and I had more fun with it so I prefer that.

-Just watched Lubitsch's Heaven Can Wait and Laird Cregar plays a great "nice" devil in that (err sorry, "His Excellency")

-two more great punk movies that i didn't see mentioned from like ten pages ago are Half-Cocked (starring the band Rodan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8YnQVkF7Ro) and Mary Jane's Not a Virgin Anymore.

Ok bye!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Us doesn't quite land for me, but I know it's swinging for the fences and I can really appreciate that.

Nope, on the other hand, is great. I love everything about that movie.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I’m watching Black Sheep. I hadn’t seen it before but I thought people really liked it, it was like a classic comedy. So far it’s pretty bad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Gripweed posted:

I’m watching Black Sheep. I hadn’t seen it before but I thought people really liked it, it was like a classic comedy. So far it’s pretty bad.

Which one, this is the good one

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0779982/?ref_=ext_shr

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Chris Farley and David Spade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gripweed posted:

Chris Farley and David Spade

If you're not into their humor you probably won't like any of their movies.