Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
I fully expect Retro Bludd, Mindbender and Serpentor eventually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Canopus250 posted:

I'm hoping he, Bludd, and Mindbender all wind up with a standard re-release at some point in the near future.

They and a general release for the HISS tank (as Last Call speculated a while back) would all be great. There's four things from HasLab (three Joe, one Transformer)* I missed and I wish they'd come along at better times for me but I'm going to try to make sure that that's the last time I complain about that. Probably won't succeed, but I'll try.

*Admittedly I don't actually know where the Skystriker and Dragonfly would go in my place.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Haslab please don't tempt me with a rattler

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
The Rattler is what people are suggesting will be this years Haslab. Hard to say if it really will be yet.

Expect it to be funded in a day if it is.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Haslab 3:1-scale USS Flagg, do it Hasbro you cowards

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
If the actual o ring line was still happening and successful I could have seen a redo of the USS Flagg as a Haslab.

But the failure of that line and the Skystriker barely making it likely killed any chance of that.

They've already said no to a Classified version.

Yes, they did the math on the size and said it was ridiculous.

And before someone points it out, the o ring ones with the Transformers collab is 100% out of the Transformer budget which is considerably bigger than the Joe one.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Canopus250 posted:

I'm hoping he, Bludd, and Mindbender all wind up with a standard re-release at some point in the near future.

I’m selling my major bludd rn

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Why, the new design Bludd loving slaps.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want all of them gone from my house lol

iceyman
Jul 11, 2001

What's everyone's thoughts on Classified designs? Do you prefer that they adhere strictly to the original design or do you want updates/re-imagining?

It seems like they've drifted more and more to the straightforward 1:1 recreation side of things where as the line started with a fairly new "modernized" take. I think their first designs where very hit (snakeeyes, destro) and miss (scarlet, roadblock). But I much prefer updated designs heavily inspired by the originals rather than just recreations. It's like upscaling a photo. You have to take some liberties to fill in the empty space. Beach Head and Major Bludd is a good example of the happy medium I like.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Despite a bumpy first year overall I believe the Hasbro team has done very well with the Classified line. They replaced the weapons people hated and gave more realistic ones. We saw figures being truer to their original versions albeit updated and I rather like that. Plus, they got the retro line for even more accurate versions if one must have the near exact version. I credit Emily and Lenny for really making the line a success. They do a good job and they’ve listened to the complaints and issues fans had and done their best to make up for it.

The Classified line even done something most people thought near impossible, it won over a large portion of the die-hard o ring figure collectors. Not all, but a good majority of them. Classified has been a strong success and likely the most profitable and successful Joe line in ages. The number of figures and vehicles we’re getting is quite amazing. I’m not sure anyone expected what we’ve gotten.

Considering the number of failed relaunches and attempts I was originally happy if we got three years out of the line. It’s now been four.

It appears to be going strong and has no signs of stopping.

Not bad for a toyline that has to overcome of the limitations of it's own trappings. ie: military jingoism

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

iceyman posted:

What's everyone's thoughts on Classified designs? Do you prefer that they adhere strictly to the original design or do you want updates/re-imagining?

It seems like they've drifted more and more to the straightforward 1:1 recreation side of things where as the line started with a fairly new "modernized" take. I think their first designs where very hit (snakeeyes, destro) and miss (scarlet, roadblock). But I much prefer updated designs heavily inspired by the originals rather than just recreations. It's like upscaling a photo. You have to take some liberties to fill in the empty space. Beach Head and Major Bludd is a good example of the happy medium I like.

I like both. The modernization with more realistic color schemes but still basically on brand for the character are really cool. I dig what they did with most of the designs since that first wave, the Cobra Island Beach Head basically set the tone of perfection, with Bludd, Cover Girl, the Twins, and the card back Storm Shadow that actually has the extra hands being basically the peak of the entire line. Flint is up there, too. The CC that came with the HISS is perfection.

I had the OG toys and they were my poo poo when I was a kid, but yeah... we don't actually need pastel colors with high contrast designs. Redesign the main characters people love that had lovely toys that don't even look like the cartoon or comic, but still make a retro style version to appeal to the nostalgia grognards. It'll basically all sell, so why not.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So it's a broad topic but what are the worst figures Classified's done? I saw a lot of folks talking it's Falcon but he doesn't look so bad in pictures.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
It's Falcon.

It's definitely Falcon.

Purely due to that face.

A retro with a new head sculpt is sorely needed.

That or a future NF version.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow
Ugh. Checked three targets today and no Kirby figure. :emo: The 4 pack seems to be the most common as I saw a ton of those. Only saw one biz suit Casey pack, tho.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Shiftypenguin posted:

Ugh. Checked three targets today and no Kirby figure. :emo: The 4 pack seems to be the most common as I saw a ton of those. Only saw one biz suit Casey pack, tho.

I've seen the 4-pack, Usagi and Kirby/Baxter. I passed on all but Kirby. Baxter is the same mold as Kirby with a different head, and for me Baxter will always be a giant fly man, not a dude in a comfy sweater.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

The Last Call posted:

It's Falcon.

It's definitely Falcon.

Purely due to that face.

A retro with a new head sculpt is sorely needed.

That or a future NF version.

Dont you dare talk smack about my Willem DaFalcon

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

"I'm something of a lieutenant myself."

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

The Target by my work had one of everything. I grabbed Kirby and Usagi (still over the moon about getting those), and some guy came up right behind me and got the Casey two pack.

That Casey is from the Octopus Inc episode, right? I think I had that on VHS from Burger King.

Shiftypenguin
Mar 15, 2005

Antique Roadshow

Joe Fisto posted:

I've seen the 4-pack, Usagi and Kirby/Baxter. I passed on all but Kirby. Baxter is the same mold as Kirby with a different head, and for me Baxter will always be a giant fly man, not a dude in a comfy sweater.

Same. I mean, I love TMNT, but have zero desire to own a human Baxter. That's just... Boring.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I like Falcon. I had his OG.

I've bought a ton of the Classified line and he's one of the few I outright dismissed getting due to that face sculpt.

Thankfully being a long time fan if it's one thing I learned, there's always a V2

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

iceyman posted:

Like you, I vastly prefer modernized takes on the designs over a recreation. Retro Gung Ho was an improvement because I had the over-designed techno first release, but is also completely ridiculous with his light teal outfit and gear over a bare chest. There’s still a happy medium for him that has yet to be achieved.

Scrap Iron perfectly encapsulates that balance of elevating the classic design into modern aesthetics. You can look at him and know exactly what character it is, but the fine details of his outfit are updated to reflect a contemporary military look.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I haven’t bought a ton of Classified figures, but I very much like Classified Baroness (the one that came with the COIL bike), and Helix is essentially identical to the old 3.75” figure (although the yellow hue is a little off, but whatever).

Speaking of Joe, Hasbro Pulse just notified me that my order of Classified Retro Scarlett should ship soon. :woop:

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

The actual purchasing of Range Vipers was a clusterfuck, but they absolutely nailed the design. And that was the one guy I really cared about.

I agree that a happy medium between recreating and redesigning the old figures is best.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I feel bad because I walked into Walmart and saw one sitting in clearance

The damnest thing

Cool figure. One of the few joes ill keep

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I saw the new Usagi again and couldn't say no. What a little guy.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

He looks great. I still need to open up my TMNT figs and set up a display. I’m curious to see how Mirage Donatello looks with the Kirby arm cannon.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Open Marriage Night posted:

He looks great. I still need to open up my TMNT figs and set up a display. I’m curious to see how Mirage Donatello looks with the Kirby arm cannon.

I haven't checked the other hands it came with, but the one I have on Donnie now doesn't fit in the cannon. Its the bo holding hand. Maybe it's designed for a different one.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Welp super7 is coming out with a baphomet figure.

https://super7.com/products/slayer-ultimates-wave-02-minotaur-black-magic

I'm tempted to get one. That sword is badass.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

Good toy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Reminds me of the toybiz goblin in a good way

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

After passing it up a few times, I finally caved in and bought the Action Comics #1 Superman from my local Target.

I had posted before about seeing this alternate version. I looked into it, and it turns out it was actually the platinum chase version!

Here's the regular one:

and the one I got:

You can see from the cover art included on a card in the box, neither one really matches it exactly. I just glanced through a scan of Action Comics #1 online, and neither exactly matches the interior art either, though he is usually shown with the blue boots. I don't know if the chase version is based on any one specific piece of art, but it does kinda remind me of the Max Fleischer cartoons, which were great. And it's just a great looking old-fashioned Superman figure.

I don't know how many Supermans I really need... but I decided I needed this one. I really like it.

Edit: Upon digging a little further, it appears this Superman is a dead ringer for his appearance in some slightly later issues of Action Comics. Check out the cover for #7:

Very cool!

Nerd Of Prey fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 8, 2024

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s being strangled by his ratty over grown hair

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Package Parade Day!

In the mail came

Classified figures:

Metal-Head
Airborne
Quick-Kick
Tele-Viper
Big Boa
Retro Recondo

Scarlet and Duke are suppose to be shipping some time this week.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Shulk? Noah? No, Japan must make kawaii girl character first, because reasons

Amiami charged me for the FF7 Barret, it'll be fun to get that whole team slowly through the year

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

https://twitter.com/preterniadotcom/status/1777353139630321904?s=46

Lencho
Mar 16, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Welp super7 is coming out with a baphomet figure.

https://super7.com/products/slayer-ultimates-wave-02-minotaur-black-magic

I'm tempted to get one. That sword is badass.

I got the regular version last week:

It doesn't really compare to my usual import stuff, but is good for what it is.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

New tax return Joes roll call:

Airborne
Dusty
Nunchuk
Quick Kick
Recondo
Stalker

Big Boa
Alley Vipers x2
Techno-Vipers x2

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Airborne has a thousnad yard stare going down.

Man has seen things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

In spite of being brothers, these two have very different philosophies when it comes to conflict resolution:

Mikey deciding to give Leo's more modest approach a try:

I love these things so much. Literally my two favorite toys. I've got Raphael pre-ordered and will absolutely slam the "add to cart" button the moment Donatello becomes available. I'm actually kinda glad that I don't like the concept art for the April/Splinter/Shredder mechs from this line because that saves me like $600 by not having to buy them