Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nice to know that at level 330, the fire giant can still kill you in two hits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Steve Yun posted:

Once you get deep into NG+ cycles, bosses start hitting HARD.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

its not like theres a significant hp increase from vig 60 to vig 99. the only way ive managed to keep my defense on par with boss damage past ng+7 is by wearing (some) heavy armor, equipping the dragoncrest greatshield talisman, using the opaline hardtear, and chowing down on boiled crab. if thats still not enough i switch from radahn’s rune to morgott’s

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Mentat Radnor posted:

Or consider doing the exact opposite: (spoilering for all the recent first time players in the thread)
- Inherit the Frenzied Flame before going to the Forge of the Giants, thereby using your own flesh to light the barbeque
- Then complete Millicent's entire questline, and use Miquella's Needle at the storm beyond time to quench your outer-godly brain fire
- Beat the game and marry your four-armed anime wife

Ta-da! Melina gets to live, the Lands Between are saved (or something), and John Elden Ring gets a free trip to the moon.

kinda wish there was actual dialogue for doing that, like it’s cool that they allow you to fix one of the biggest fuckups a main character in a from game has ever done, if not THE biggest, but Melina not having a scene of her going “well, guess you actually fixed your mistake and stopped me from having to immolate myself” kinda feels like one of the bigger missed opportunities in a game.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think Melina wanted to kill herself though, it's what she'd been preparing her entire life for even if you do the unalloyed needle trick you've robbed her of her life's purpose

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I think Elden Ring would be lessened as a narrative if there was actually an 'everything is fixed now' narrative. When I first joined this thread people were discussing whether the golden order / restoring the ring ending was the 'good' ending because the undead are still trapped, and I think there's strong arguments to be made that every ending has something wrong with it.

Especially poo man ending.

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.
I've heard arguments that the poo man ending isn't as bad as it seems (possibly smells).

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't think anything good is going to come from the delusional serial killer doing sexual abuse to everyone or that deliberately creating a hell on earth is a desirable outcome, personally

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Endings ranked from most to least philosophically moral:

- fia (the undead deserve a chance)
- dung eater (gently caress the system)
-frenzied flame (gently caress the system but you make Melina mad)
-goldmask (the search for perfect order is fundamentally meaningless at its core)
- ranni (parasitizing other worlds like an outer god, explicitly anti humanist)

I can't remember which ones I forgot

Ionicpsycho
Dec 25, 2006
The Shortbus Avenger.

No Dignity posted:

I don't think anything good is going to come from the delusional serial killer doing sexual abuse to everyone or that deliberately creating a hell on earth is a desirable outcome, personally

Woah now, it's not sexual abuse. It's defiling a corpse. Completely different.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

No Dignity posted:

I think Melina wanted to kill herself though, it's what she'd been preparing her entire life for even if you do the unalloyed needle trick you've robbed her of her life's purpose

Yeah, tbh that’s why I wanted a convo because it feels like she’d feel extremely conflicted on multiple levels and not necessarily super happy about that part.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Dung Eater ending is only good if you give him a pass for how he got there with "ehh, ends justifies the means" for being such a horrible, blasphemous person he becomes the avatar of the toxic invader, then give a pass on how bad life is as an omen.

Ok, omens are oppressed by the system. When everybody 100% across the board is an omen is that society able to progress? If nothing else Morgott is pretty noble but even his lifesblood physically and magically curses the area around him as you fight.

If it's "humanity but with horns and they can shoot spooky skulls" it might be about on par with Fia's ending since "actually Dung Eater wants true equality" is a cool approach. He's making the mother of all omelettes, Tarnished, can't cry about every killed seafood vendor.

If omens are painfully cursed and malicious about it you've got a hellworld brewing.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

The Dung Eater doesn't understand what Omens are at all though, like Morgott and Mohg are both Omens and they both return to the Erdtree upon death. Dung Eater is literally just a cosplayer cursing people's souls because he's a maladjusted freak

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Hey what’s the deal with Morgott’s corpse being a regular dude?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the theories are interesting but Dung's not exactly a trustworthy source.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Exactly! Omens just see to be normal people who have an abundance of life in them that manifests as the extra growths, as that leaves his body he reverts to being a regular guy, there's doesn't seem to be anything fundamentally different about them at all

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Tree lifted the curse as a reward for being a good boy.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Is it possible to fight the Crucible + Misbegotten at Redmane after you defeat Radahn? I've gone back and there's soldiers around but I can't figure out how to trigger it.

Rudicron
Oct 30, 2013

It's Lunchtime!

Get yourself a hotdog!

BigHandsVince posted:

Is it possible to fight the Crucible + Misbegotten at Redmane after you defeat Radahn? I've gone back and there's soldiers around but I can't figure out how to trigger it.

If you can enter the courtyard, go past it, and talk to Jerren; he's sitting in the chair in front of the chapel.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ben Nerevarine posted:

You take his rune which shrunk him down to normal regular dude size.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I beat misbegotten snd crucible, I beat radahn, but can’t seem to find Jerren now

I think I needed him for Sellen’s questline

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

There's no NPCs in Redmane now, so I think I've messed it up.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

He sits in the chapel you go through to get to the Radahn fight after you've beaten Radahn.

Edit: He also goes after Sellen if you move her questline along.

gurragadon fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Apr 5, 2024

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Mustached Demon posted:

how come his rune doesn’t make me huge boss size then smart guy

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Wafflecopper posted:

This never works in these games for some reason. Souls protags are required to have Napoleon complex

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Wafflecopper posted:

It slowly increases your size over time when active but resets if you die.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Makes me wonder, the people itt that dismiss Dung Eater (or the Frenzied Flame for that matter, or...Ranni, apparently?) outright vs. the people that take Goldmask at absolute face value.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mustached Demon posted:

Stealing gains is the most evil thing

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

John Murdoch posted:

Makes me wonder, the people itt that dismiss Dung Eater (or the Frenzied Flame for that matter, or...Ranni, apparently?) outright vs. the people that take Goldmask at absolute face value.

Goldmask has never said anything untrue to me.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Goldmask is wearing a mask, dumbo. :smug:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

its not like theres a significant hp increase from vig 60 to vig 99. the only way ive managed to keep my defense on par with boss damage past ng+7 is by wearing (some) heavy armor, equipping the dragoncrest greatshield talisman, using the opaline hardtear, and chowing down on boiled crab. if thats still not enough i switch from radahn’s rune to morgott’s

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7353709032030407968

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

they did a pretty good job fixing this for elden ring. i always lol when i see a host cast flame grant me strength, then howl of shabriri, then eat boiled ctab, then cast golden vow, then wave the commanders standard, leaving them with a total of two buffs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I didn’t know that was a thing. You’re limited to two buffs in Elden Ring?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

I didn’t know that was a thing. You’re limited to two buffs in Elden Ring?

no, there are buff “categories” and many of them do not stack within their categories. heres the lovely fextralife wiki page for it https://eldenring.wiki.fextralife.com/Buffs+and+Debuffs

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 6, 2024

Grayshift
May 31, 2013
There's a couple different buff categories, a thing that was implemented in Dark Souls 2 when buff stacking in the PVP arena pre-match cells got severely out of hand. Only one buff in each category can be active, trying to use a different one will overwrite. The three main ones are:

- Weapon buffs. If it makes your weapon glow, it's probably one of these.
- "Aura" buffs. Golden Vow and its variants, most of which are general "do a lot of things better in small ways."
- "Body" buffs, everything else.

There's some exceptions here and there, but that's enough to get the overall gist.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Physick buffs aren't in those categories, ditto for jellyfish shield and talisman buffs, so they stack.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Grayshift posted:

There's a couple different buff categories, a thing that was implemented in Dark Souls 2 when buff stacking in the PVP arena pre-match cells got severely out of hand. Only one buff in each category can be active, trying to use a different one will overwrite. The three main ones are:

- Weapon buffs. If it makes your weapon glow, it's probably one of these.
- "Aura" buffs. Golden Vow and its variants, most of which are general "do a lot of things better in small ways."
- "Body" buffs, everything else.

There's some exceptions here and there, but that's enough to get the overall gist.
its more accurate to define “aura” buffs as AOE buffs and “body” buffs as caster-only buffs

also, there’s a fourth category of “unique” buffs that pretty much always stack with anything and includes all the physick flask tears, terra magica, holy ground, and the jellyfish shield.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

John Murdoch posted:

I'm not sure giving everyone the Omen curse is really as bad as all that (especially since, as someone pointed out above, Morgott and Mohg have Remembrances and therefore seemingly make it back into the cycle of reincarnation, when theoretically the awful thing about Omens is that they're cut off from it), but the mere fact that it's the Dung Eater advocating for it is a good reason to interpret it in the worst possible light.

Goldmask is the opposite; the idea of "oh yeah we can fix this tottering system of oppression, we just have to completely remove the human element and have it run itself" sounds like a horror movie premise on its face (shades of Cube 1997, in particular), but the fact that he's just some humble, weirdo mystic who refuses to leap to conclusions until he has the actual truth about Radagon and Marika is the best argument for at least giving his horrific idea some charitable consideration.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Why does the front door of leyndell go straight into the lake?

Does everyone have to go through that one hallway and use the lift to get in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drain 001
Nov 24, 2010

Dinosaur Gum

OwlFancier posted:

Why does the front door of leyndell go straight into the lake?

Because that section of town sunk (or was taken) into Nox-land (according to one of the Lore YouTubers I can't remember right now.)