Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
I'm currently trying to get the 100'000'000 chips and reach Ante 12 things to unlock the last things I have left to unlock.

Is the secret to those numbers just 'stack as many xMultiplier things as possible?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Necronomicon posted:

There is NO WAY Wheel of Fortune has 1 in 4 odds. I get a hit on one maybe one out of ten times. It’s absurd.

You are technically correct, in that the way Balatro is seeded it's not actually random chance, the RNG is preset when the see starts. So yeah, 7 instances where the RN didn't roll 25 or lower, It seems like you're rolling badly, but the truth is the numbers got rolled before you ever found your first.

Dr_Gee
Apr 26, 2008

TheNabster posted:

I'm currently trying to get the 100'000'000 chips and reach Ante 12 things to unlock the last things I have left to unlock.

Is the secret to those numbers just 'stack as many xMultiplier things as possible?

More or less, yes

Repeated hits of red seal/steel/etc, big xMult jokers, etcetc

Also usually good to have a little something to give chips. See also: the posts a few pages back about balancing both sides of the X*Y side of things

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I'm stuck on Green Stake/Black Deck and getting increasingly frustrated, but also unable to just skip it and move on because not doing them in 'order' just feels wrong for some reason.

I actually made it to the final boss on Ante 8 once, and I would've had it! ... If it wasn't Violet Vessel.

Since then, it seems like I'm struggling to get off the ground, and even if I do seem to have a good strategy going, it just takes one blind where the wrong cards come up or I misclick one hand and I wind up 200 points short of the goal on Ante 4/5.

I guess I'm just venting, or asking in general "how do you Balatro?" Are there any tips for Black Deck specifically?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

VideoGames posted:

Does the Matador not work with The Tooth?

The Tooth being lose $1 per card played, and Matador being 'gain $8 when activating the boss blind ability'?

I thought I was on to a smart thing there.
yeah I see complaints about Blueprint not working with some cards but matador is way more egregious. Trigger is not the right word to use given that matador doesnt work on the hook and you are clearly triggering the hook's ability when you play a hand.

I think the wording should be changed to something like "if a boss' ability changes a hand's score."

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'm stuck on Green Stake/Black Deck and getting increasingly frustrated, but also unable to just skip it and move on because not doing them in 'order' just feels wrong for some reason.

I actually made it to the final boss on Ante 8 once, and I would've had it! ... If it wasn't Violet Vessel.

Since then, it seems like I'm struggling to get off the ground, and even if I do seem to have a good strategy going, it just takes one blind where the wrong cards come up or I misclick one hand and I wind up 200 points short of the goal on Ante 4/5.

I guess I'm just venting, or asking in general "how do you Balatro?" Are there any tips for Black Deck specifically?
Balatro University does really good commentated playthroughs and fundamentals videos that are well worth watching.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

one of my biggest gripes with the game right now is no way to see your full build once you hit game over. if you've already clicked into endless once that game over screen comes up too bad, hope you remember what all you had

almost got to ante 12 this time but couldn't duplicate my red seal steels quickly enough

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
Twitch streamer Billy1Kirby is currently on Ante 29. Target score is 2.7e135, and he's going to win at least this round.

It's the typical red seal king/Baron Cryptid deck, but I've never seen one quite this crazy.

The really impressive part is this isn't a seeded run. He just chanced on the god combo of jokers and spectral cards.

WhiteHowler fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 5, 2024

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

WhiteHowler posted:

Twitch streamer Billy1Kirby is currently on Ante 29. Target score is 2.7e135, and he's going to win at least this round.

It's the typical red seal king/Baron Cryptid deck, but I've never seen one quite this crazy.

The really impressive part is this isn't a seeded run. He just chanced on the god combo of jokers and spectral cards.

This is bonkers. I feel puny.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

i still haven't beaten ante 12 or gotten any "e" scores :(

also still banging my head against gold stake

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

That guy's target score is 2.7e179 now lmao

e: he hit e186 lol

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 5, 2024

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

vogonity posted:

This is bonkers. I feel puny.

Now on Ante 32, target blind is 2.7e179.

He's going to run out of Cryptids soon. Basically the only hope to go much further is to hit a Negative tag, but there's not one on this Ante.

Even at maximum game speed, the hands are taking like two minutes to process.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

WhiteHowler posted:

Now on Ante 32, target blind is 2.7e179.

He's going to run out of Cryptids soon. Basically the only hope to go much further is to hit a Negative tag, but there's not one on this Ante.

Even at maximum game speed, the hands are taking like two minutes to process.

lol even just a screenshot looks crazy

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

Now this is Balatro

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
30/31 consumables lmao

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

Fajita Queen posted:

Now this is Balatro

by the time he played the hand in the screenshot it was with 28 of those kings in hand and like another poster said it's taking like two minutes just to count them up

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Blue stake down, which surprised me because it was kind of a dogshit build and I hosed up the bus after having it accrue for the first five antes. Wouldn't have had a chance if I hadn't picked up the x3 mult for 3oak joker.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Parasol Prophet posted:

Tbh as time goes on I value director's cut more and more for basically this reason exactly

There are so many runs where I know I'm vulnerable to a specific boss blind and the ability to reroll it is so handy

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

This guy is a pro follow in general. He's currently spending most of his time with Balatro, but he got popular doing amazing FTL runs, and he's done tons of great games over the years, including Slay the Spire, Darkest Dungeon, Into the Breach, and Battle Brothers. And some other stuff I'm not as into (like spending a year with Rimworld, but I know people dig that game).

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Got my first E hand, haven't really been shooting for them but I was just climbing on blue deck for my next gold and stumbled across a midgame polychrome 2 and hack so I shot for it. Couple jokers could have taken it to the next level (ended up with 6 slots due to voucher). And I legit never saw a glass tarot for the rest of the game but can't complain.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

lmao

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

That was a pretty awesome moment. Have others already hit that broken score before?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

vogonity posted:

That was a pretty awesome moment. Have others already hit that broken score before?

Yea, but they were on seeded runs. If his is unseeded, he might be the first.

vogonity
Aug 1, 2005

Buglord

Kuros posted:

Yea, but they were on seeded runs. If his is unseeded, he might be the first.

It was unseeded. Here's the seed though: 5EZMY164

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Gotta say, this challenge feels pretty loving stupid.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just had a moment, not quite on the level of moving jokers, but still pretty boneheaded. After 50+ hours of play I just realized there is an option to speed up the game.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Golden Needle?

Yea, that’s the first of a series of progressively more miserable challenges.

Edit: actually Blast Off sucked poo poo too

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Gangringo posted:

I just had a moment, not quite on the level of moving jokers, but still pretty boneheaded. After 50+ hours of play I just realized there is an option to speed up the game.

So you're just beating white stakes with how slow the game moves otherwise?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

how the gently caress do i play plasma deck

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Relyssa posted:

how the gently caress do i play plasma deck

Take +chips early, switch to Xmult late.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Aggro posted:

Golden Needle?

Yea, that’s the first of a series of progressively more miserable challenges.

Edit: actually Blast Off sucked poo poo too

The last three challenges just don't seem like they had very much thought put into them relative to the game's actual mechanics.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Finally hit scientific notation! Two poly triboulet + poly supernova + hanging chad + sock and buskin. Got to ante 12, died to the plant because I was never offered any sort of boss reroll by the time I realized this would go the distance. It got very silly very quickly.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
This is a nitpick, but I'm pissed off at this game right now and this keeps getting on my nerves, so I'm nitpicking.

If you fail a challenge, it takes six clicks to get back to it. You have to click "New Run", then "Challenges", then "Start New Challenge", then click to page 2, then click the challenge, then click play. And, yeah, you can just hold R, except on this dumbfuck one hand challenge, you don't know what your hand is gonna be before you play it, so anytime you're wrong about what your hand is gonna score, it's CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK CLICK before you can try again.

Also, this challenge is fuckin' terrible.

MJeff fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 6, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Definitely slowed down a lot on my Balatro-ing as I move back towards playing other games more, but was able to bang out a Green Stakes win on Spectral Deck tonight, with some sort of weird Polychrome Even Stevens build. I kinda feel like the early Hex means you sort of build around whatever random Joker you get in your first couple of shops, but I could just be playing Spectral completely wrong.

Only two more decks to go (Zodiac and Anaglyph), and that's everything beat on Green or better.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

I finally unlocked erratic and oh no my probability heuristics

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

quiggy posted:

I've said it before but I'll say it again, if anyone was having a problem with the high stakes erratic is gonna be your breath of fresh air. Orange and gold aren't really as hard as people make them out to be, but the solution to their puzzle is just really boring. You don't have the resources to tune your deck or the handsize to go for fun hands so just play out ante 1/2 till you hit reasonable scaling mult/chip jokers and slam simple hands and cruise. Erratic starts with a pretuned deck and you can play gimmicky nonsense even on gold stake, it's so fun and can end up utilizing jokers that are basically never worth taking.

On my climb I had a black stakes run where I hit an early constellation and took an eternal 8 ball, with a deck that was stuffed full of 8's from erratic. I ended up hitting about x8 mult on constellation and scoring million point hands on ante 8 for an easy win. I think 8 ball is arguably one of the worst jokers in the entire game but erratic made it viable and that's what makes the deck so fun.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

quiggy posted:

Lol, :same:

My eyes glazed over and I noped outta there.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

The best part of erratic is getting a deck with 12 kings or 22 hearts and not drawing any of them on the first boss blind, ending your run.

:v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MJeff posted:

Gotta say, this challenge feels pretty loving stupid.

Eight hours later, I lose the exact same way, again. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
There are a bunch of challenges that I might do again for fun.

The last 3 are not among these.