Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dr Christmas posted:

What does “income from slaves” mean in the context of the changes made to Dark Elves in game 3? Is it just an artifact of the old system they forgot to update?

I assume it means to bonus income from buildings you get so long as you have X number of slaves? Same as High Elf buildings making more money at 100 Public Order

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It would require some new technical advancements to be sure but I can see why they'd want to try, genuinely nobody's done TW scale 40k combat, it would be a genuinely new thing even if it was a bit imperfect, if they can get it close enough to be fun and cool to look at I think they'd probably have a better platform than yet another historical game.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Yeah people didn't gripe that Dawn of War didn't hit the right scale or some other poo poo, well, I'm sure grognards did(and do) but to sane people Game Fun = Good 40k Game.

Saying WH3 can't handle vehicles(SEMs), cover(add little archery ledges across the map that confer the cover bonuses defenders already get on walls in siege maps, and/or add more dynamic good map design like 3 Kingdoms), trenches(same? terrain you click and the unit enters an animation to go into, bunkers too) and so on seems silly to me. Yes they'd benefit enormously from a ranged combat systems overhaul and expansion but they've already got what they need to kludge it together. The real real issue is that WH3 city combat is almost universally panned so they can't show up with that being the primary theater of war!

The Age of Sigmar RTS Realms of Ruin is on sale for $12 on Steam for those brave Sigmarites ready to give AoS a chance. My backlog is quite horrendous and my death by a thousand cuts impulse buy range is $5 or less so I'll be passing on it for now, confident it'll crash again during Steam of July, Steamoween or Steammas.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
It’s all good until your guardsmen won’t shoot and just walk into the tyranids to give ‘em a snack.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

The WW1 total war is just hours of artillery exchanges until one side runs out of shells.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Midnightghoul posted:

Hopefully the WW1 game has fantasy and records modes, so we can still play with monstrous units and magic

My British army doomstack with monstrous units (tanks) and magic (mustard gas).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cpt_Obvious posted:

The WW1 total war is just hours of artillery exchanges until one side runs out of shells.

That's me playing dwarfs.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Cpt_Obvious posted:

this is how I played dow1

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Third World Reagan posted:

this is how I played dow1

Finding the enemy base and clicking 'Attack Ground' with your Basilisks ftw

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Doomykins posted:

Yeah people didn't gripe that Dawn of War didn't hit the right scale or some other poo poo, well, I'm sure grognards did(and do) but to sane people Game Fun = Good 40k Game.

Saying WH3 can't handle vehicles(SEMs), cover(add little archery ledges across the map that confer the cover bonuses defenders already get on walls in siege maps, and/or add more dynamic good map design like 3 Kingdoms), trenches(same? terrain you click and the unit enters an animation to go into, bunkers too) and so on seems silly to me. Yes they'd benefit enormously from a ranged combat systems overhaul and expansion but they've already got what they need to kludge it together. The real real issue is that WH3 city combat is almost universally panned so they can't show up with that being the primary theater of war!

The Age of Sigmar RTS Realms of Ruin is on sale for $12 on Steam for those brave Sigmarites ready to give AoS a chance. My backlog is quite horrendous and my death by a thousand cuts impulse buy range is $5 or less so I'll be passing on it for now, confident it'll crash again during Steam of July, Steamoween or Steammas.

The issue has never been that it's impossible but that it would suck. Dress it up as nice as younwant but if the end result is a block of 120 Tau Fire Warriors facing off against a block of 90 Necrons like it's mfin Space Waterlooo I would simply not play it. It needs a fundamental rework of the way the game handles infantry which is the primary component of most Warhammer 40k armies

Again, it needs to play like Dawn of War or Company of Heroes but just more biggerer. Which is probably possible. Or maybe not. Whatever this is all Youtuber Rumours lmao

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Lord Packinham posted:

It’s all good until your guardsmen won’t shoot and just walk into the tyranids to give ‘em a snack.

thats my concern tbh. Weird pathfinding poo poo

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

WWI Total War game would be incredible

i doubt CA would be able to fully pull it off, but it would be entertaining to see their attempt

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
It's just gonna be warhammer 3 but everyone is a hand gunner

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

TWWW1: Farming defeat traits from Lance Corporal Hitler

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Cranking the Spartacist Endgame Crisis up to 300% lol

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
You thought sieges were bad, just wait until you try to take Gallipoli

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
it'll be a variant on epic where SEMs are titans, space marines are like aspiring champions, and only grots and Imperial guard platoons and such would be the size of current regiments. then you'd just have to come up with another kind of terrain, like rocks, where mobility is slowed and you have higher missile resistance.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guardsman weapon teams but they're just reskinnedskaven in carapace armour.

E: wait they have ratlings in the guard so yeah it's an all ratling regiment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Door Frame posted:

You thought sieges were bad, just wait until you try to take Gallipoli

Everything I've read about WW1 suggests that if you play as the British in such a game, getting Churchill removed as soon as possible can only be a good thing. :v:

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=3172769825

Gives Lore of Hags access and Kislev animals to Drycha (as well as Hag Lords for Kislev) gonna give it a go!

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

DaysBefore posted:

The issue has never been that it's impossible but that it would suck. Dress it up as nice as younwant but if the end result is a block of 120 Tau Fire Warriors facing off against a block of 90 Necrons like it's mfin Space Waterlooo I would simply not play it. It needs a fundamental rework of the way the game handles infantry which is the primary component of most Warhammer 40k armies

Again, it needs to play like Dawn of War or Company of Heroes but just more biggerer. Which is probably possible. Or maybe not. Whatever this is all Youtuber Rumours lmao

I played Sanctus Reach for like 150 hours so I would probably play at whatever scale because I'm a sicko. There's lots of us out there.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Does anyone have any tips on how to make yourself not use auto-resolve all the time? I really enjoy the battles but when I'm on the 4X screen I want to hurry up and do more 4X!

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
I just don’t know how you could do it without it being a completely different game. Like the total war engine works up to line infantry/napolean. I don’t know how they could make WW1 or 40k work without it being a whole separate game.

E: Warno or their line of games would be the most analogous I guess.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

StrixNebulosa posted:

Does anyone have any tips on how to make yourself not use auto-resolve all the time? I really enjoy the battles but when I'm on the 4X screen I want to hurry up and do more 4X!

So I've been playing a lot of the DEI mod on Rome 2 lately, and that mod drastically changes auto-resolve odds. Basically, even a fight that should be an easy win if you play it will result in 30-50% casualties if you choose to autoresolve it yourself. Even if you have overwhelming odds (like 2 legions vs a town garrison) I find you're still sometimes risking losing as much as 20% of your army if you choose to autoresolve. Now sometimes I still do, because sometimes I'm feeling lazy and I don't want to fight another hoplite army right that second, but most of the time I'll fight the battle myself because it's not worth losing half my army when I know if I play the battle I can take significantly less than that. All that to say: Maybe see if you can find a mod that skews autoresolve to be a less appealing choice. I'm not sure if one exists for WH3 but it wouldn't surprise me if someone has made something along those lines.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
When I posted the leaks from legend I tl:dr it for everyone cuz its legend. He does actually say in the video the reason why its ww1 for the next historical is, because they can use the new engine they're making for 40k for it. I don't think they would actually try and do 40k with the current Warhammer branch engine.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lord Packinham posted:

honestly the kludge I'd do is to bring back Apocalypse scale

titans and whatnot as the monster-scale units, regular armored vehicles as infantry-scale units, infantry as spell effects cast by other units because they're just too tiny to do anything but inconvenience the gigantic stuff

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Doomykins posted:

Dawn of War is a tactics game, I don't think anyone really complained about the franchise until 3 because the games were great.

E: also as much as I like artillery a WW1 grand tactics game sounds like it would be pretty boring.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

honestly the kludge I'd do is to bring back Apocalypse scale

titans and whatnot as the monster-scale units, regular armored vehicles as infantry-scale units, infantry as spell effects cast by other units because they're just too tiny to do anything but inconvenience the gigantic stuff

Id say go straight to Epic scale tbh

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Dandywalken posted:

Id say go straight to Epic scale tbh

Another reason the best people to make the 40k game are Eugen

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
the next game is gonna be starship troopers

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

StrixNebulosa posted:

use one of the army limiting mod where you can't build doom stacks and the AI has better armies

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Cranappleberry posted:

the next game is gonna be starship troopers

That already exists, and is pretty drat fun.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1202130/Starship_Troopers_Terran_Command/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Third World Reagan posted:

use one of the army limiting mod where you can't build doom stacks and the AI has better armies

No way, I suck at combat

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
It's Spartan: Total Warrior 2, you'd know this if you were paying attention, cmon people

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

WWI Total War game would be incredible

i doubt CA would be able to fully pull it off, but it would be entertaining to see their attempt

I'd imagine it'd be something like this but better. This one is also pretty fun for ~20 hours and on a steep discount if that time period is your thing.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/2109370/The_Great_War_Western_Front/

It's kind of like original total war where the map is a hex board but you fight the battles and design your trench networks yourself and all that.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

After the (YOutuber Union CONFIRMED) 50% layoffs Total War WWI will just be a modern port of that old browser game Supremacy 1914

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

StrixNebulosa posted:

Play on a difficulty such that you're getting enough attrition on AR that you'll fight more of them manually. This can be done on the battle side or campaign. I prefer normal battle difficulty, but pump campaign up so that the enemy is throwing more armies at me with better units. It makes AR still feasible for silly little fights, but encourages doing most of them manually because you should be outperforming the AR, especially on important units. AR has no concept of holding poo poo in reserves, which is why light cav just get loving mauled in AR but are quite good for a player with the right comps.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues
I'm excited to spend 100 turns on my starting spot at Gallipoli and get nowhere.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I think if you find you're autoresolving too much it's a sign the campaign difficulty specifically is too low. It's partly why they're different settings, to adjust how often you need to directly intervene to tip the scales of a battle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I shall play as The Ottomans