Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
i got some army painter speed paints as my first set and they're great but they didn't give me the control i wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Nancy posted:

Out of what I've tried I've only ever been happy with GW metallics, but I hate their pots.

:hmmyes:

It's almost annoying how good GW metallics are.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

:hmmyes:

It's almost annoying how good GW metallics are.

I've switched to Pro Acryl and don't miss them.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Muir posted:

I've switched to Pro Acryl and don't miss them.

What Pro Acryl metallics do you suggest?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I have to second the Reaper recommendation. I swear by their Pure White.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pro-acryl has some nice starter sets, and even has a bulk buy discount that basically lets you make your own starter set out of the paints you want. It's generally better to have an idea of what you want to paint before buying paints as most of the time with the starter kits you'll use 6/8 of the paints and never find a good use for the other 2, effectively eliminating the discount of buying the bundle.

i do recommend people avoid brands they can't buy locally, because you'll run out of different paints at different times and it's easier to look at a line on a rack than online imo.

i checked pro-acryl's starter sets before and they kind of suck. the starter set is $75 for 12 paints (normally priced $4.65-5.40) with eccentric color choices and a set of three taklon brushes. the base set is $100 and the kind of big box i was trying to avoid. the signature series and expansions are a sweet spot for someone who already has the basics to give p-a a try but their weirdly overpriced starter is such a miss for new people.

good tip about the bulk discount if you order direct from monument hobbies though.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

One good thing about the massive array of paints available is that you can't really go wrong with buying any of them. Most miniature paints will be decent at worst, and then it's just a case of buying a few from each line to find out what paints gel the best with your style.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

Cease to Hope posted:

i do recommend people avoid brands they can't buy locally, because you'll run out of different paints at different times and it's easier to look at a line on a rack than online imo.

Or you could order complete sets. :homebrew:

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style
are the turbo dork paints anything? my local store has HEAPS on clearance

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Nancy posted:

My one big issue is the metallics don't seem great, tried some Vallejo instead and I had the same sort of issues where the metallic either wasn't very shiny, or was shiny+speckled in a very obvious way. Out of what I've tried I've only ever been happy with GW metallics, but I hate their pots.

vallejo metal color is incredible but pricey at about $8-10 for a 35ml bottle. so, like, half the price of citadel per ml, lol. it uses aluminum flakes instead of mica, and you really can tell the difference, especially if you put in the work to make your metals pop. (paint over a surface with the tone and finish you want, varnish the metals separately according to the finish you want them to have, etc.) it's vallejo's ripoff of alclad II, at a higher cost but without the finickiness and toxicity of nitro lacquer paint. the main disadvantage of that line is that they have a muted gold and a muted copper and everything else is various different shades of silver.

vallejo game color and vallejo model color metallics have always been weirdly bad compared to the rest of the line, albeit with a few exceptions (VGC tinny tin is still great, and VMC bronze is this great bronze with a greenish cast.) even the new VGC line has the same problem. what's weird is that vallejo mecha, their airbrush line aimed at gunpla and anime model builders, has excellent metallics.

Ominous Jazz posted:

are the turbo dork paints anything? my local store has HEAPS on clearance

no

their metallics are have bad opacity and colors so weird they're hard to find a use for, and the turboshifts are incredibly finicky and never seem to look good unless you use them to paint an entire object. i haven't tried the zenishifts but i feel like i gave TD their fair chance.

i'd give bottles a shot for fooling around for, like, a buck.

Cease to Hope fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 5, 2024

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

AndyElusive posted:

I mean, they're all great. But a good gold seems hard to find, and Rich Gold is excellent. You won't miss Retributor Armor. Maybe Vallejo's silver is better than Pro Acryl's? But they're both drat good.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
VMA Steel (71.065) is a pretty good general-purpose silver, but yeah, their regular lines are kinda underwhelming when it comes to metallics. VMC looks drat gorgeous in the silver ranges, though.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Issaries posted:

Or you could order complete sets. :homebrew:

You will definitely go through paints at different rates so paints that only come in sets of 10 (or more) with no easy way of getting singles is usually a terrible idea. It's one reason why GW paints are a foolproof recommendation - they're easily available and good enough so if you ever run out of that critical shade of red you can always get a replacement easily.

Vallejo and AP are also quite widely distributed (though not quite as much vs GW here in the UK) so they're decent in that regard as well.

I am far more leery of all the boutique and (god forbid) kickstarted lines. Doesn't matter if its the best paint in the world if the manufacturer goes bust or the distribution fucks up.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

Cease to Hope posted:

vallejo metal color is incredible but pricey at about $8-10 for a 35ml bottle. so, like, half the price of citadel per ml, lol. it uses aluminum flakes instead of mica, and you really can tell the difference, especially if you put in the work to make your metals pop. (paint over a surface with the tone and finish you want, varnish the metals separately according to the finish you want them to have, etc.) it's vallejo's ripoff of alclad II, at a higher cost but without the finickiness and toxicity of nitro lacquer paint. the main disadvantage of that line is that they have a muted gold and a muted copper and everything else is various different shades of silver.

vallejo game color and vallejo model color metallics have always been weirdly bad compared to the rest of the line, albeit with a few exceptions (VGC tinny tin is still great, and VMC bronze is this great bronze with a greenish cast.) even the new VGC line has the same problem. what's weird is that vallejo mecha, their airbrush line aimed at gunpla and anime model builders, has excellent metallics.

The solution to no gold Metal Colour is to use the beautiful Silver and Chrome and then overpaint with Snakebite Leather or Nazdreg Yellow Contrast and you'll get a beautiful vibrant gold. Use Gore Grunta Fur to get copper etc. They're really great for Candy Jobs as well

VMA Steel and Gunmetal are excellent.
VMA Gold is poo poo. Retributor armour is so much better.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

True.
Although with my painting speed I've only ever run out of whites/blacks and I think the OG 90:s GW orc flesh wash and the regular flesh wash (rip, you were the best)
I've had a lot of dried out GW bottles, so I'm boycotting them.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
I switched from GW over to Vallejo and found that somehow even paints in sealed dropper bottles can go bad and dry up!

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

AndyElusive posted:

I’d say start with Rich Gold and Dark Bronze as both are excellent, and while I haven’t used it, the new magnesium that comes out at the end of this month looks great in previews.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

ProAcryl Metallics are ok but not as good as vmc

Some ProAcryl are quite thin compared to similar colors from GW

But GW has a better range the entire ProAcryl range is good, if not missing some pastels and some brighter colors

I own their entire range but I still enjoy some GW reds

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

GreenBuckanneer posted:

ProAcryl Metallics are ok but not as good as vmc

Some ProAcryl are quite thin compared to similar colors from GW

But GW has a better range the entire ProAcryl range is good, if not missing some pastels and some brighter colors

I own their entire range but I still enjoy some GW reds

I think VMC silvers are great, I don’t rate the gold/bronze/coppers at all tho.

Whereas I think that’s where Pro Acryl does very well. Light bronze is gorgeous.

The new releases coming this month patch the few remaining holes in Pro Acryl’s line, especially with Louise Suggdens colours.

After they’re out I don’t think there’s anything left really. Jason from Monument said the same thing recently, they might be about to hit “peak paint” and will just move into increasing distribution and marketing the line, while creating new assistive products like Newsh.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Are they still working on becoming the official Rosemary distributor for the US? I heard the rumor, but I can't actually find anything official from Monument on the subject.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want the three new sets lol

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

grassy gnoll posted:

Are they still working on becoming the official Rosemary distributor for the US? I heard the rumor, but I can't actually find anything official from Monument on the subject.

I hadn’t heard that, but it would be a good get.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I want the three new sets lol

Same sister. Same. :unsmith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The size 4 sable from monument (red handle) has been my go to for a lot of things lately, love that thing

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Wasteland style

Ominous Jazz posted:

I'm really happy with how this turned out!

Inspired by abs yeah that's gonna be the theme for my underworld set

following up on the theme is the chibi moon inspired member of the crew

Gonna put the finishing touches on it a little later (feedback welcome)

edit: Here are some fancier pictures of the wrapped version

Ominous Jazz fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Apr 6, 2024

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Some more miniatures.

Leonidas Smartgunner and Haomao Assault Trooper from SYNDICAT, rollerwomen from Slow Death painted in Infinity Franchise colors, and some Weird Vietnam War guys by Crucible Crush that I got as a freebie back at Gencon 2019.

Painting faces is the hardest part. The basic principles (wash to fill in the nooks and crannies, paint to highlight the important parts) are simple but getting the tiny details right is easier said than done. Placing a pupil in a single eyeball takes me multiple tries and it's going to take a lot more before I can do it consistently.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mellonbread posted:

Painting faces is the hardest part. The basic principles (wash to fill in the nooks and crannies, paint to highlight the important parts) are simple but getting the tiny details right is easier said than done. Placing a pupil in a single eyeball takes me multiple tries and it's going to take a lot more before I can do it consistently.

The “paint entire eye black, then dot white on both sides” method is a tried and true way of getting acceptable eyes!

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

mellonbread posted:

Get a fineliner pen and never try to paint a pupil again.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.

SiKboy posted:

holy poo poo

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe

SiKboy posted:

What's the trick with these? Every time I've tried a pen (apart from sharpies/chrome markers) on a mini it's never worked right - the ink just doesn't want to flow onto the painter surfaces.

I might try some watercolours as acrylics have this annoying habit of drying on the brush tip when I'm angling for fine work.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

The thing that improved my pupil painting (still not amazing but no more googly eyes) was to just visualize the circle that a pupil is and place it somewhere in the eye that isn't dead center, that's how you end up with goofy looking eyes. Even if most of the pupil is in the middle, having part of it obscured by the bottom eyelid makes it look a lot better.

Also this, this works too especially if you do it with the same "part of the pupil is under one of the eye lids" principle

Professor Shark posted:

The “paint entire eye black, then dot white on both sides” method is a tried and true way of getting acceptable eyes!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

Fun Shoe
Pupils (Irises to be mord precise) are also never perfect circles with white all around so always have them blended against the upper lid margin is the most natural looking - being able to see the complete pupil with white all around is proptosis caused by your eyes being pushed forward in their sockets.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
"Brother Quintus of the Ultramarines, veteran of the Tyrannic Wars, hero of Hadrian's Breach, once commended by Calgar himself and a staunch and honorable ally until the very end-- saw something he shouldn't have."

My slightly late entry for March for Macragge

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Z the IVth posted:

What's the trick with these? Every time I've tried a pen (apart from sharpies/chrome markers) on a mini it's never worked right - the ink just doesn't want to flow onto the painter surfaces.

I might try some watercolours as acrylics have this annoying habit of drying on the brush tip when I'm angling for fine work.

No particular trick for micron fineliners for pupils to be honest. If you are using them for stuff like scribbles on scrolls or anything like lettering (for example all my Warhammer Underworlds figures have their name written on the back of the base rim) it can be a good idea to hit the bit you're going to be writing on with matt varnish first so the ink doesnt bleed into the paint, but for pupils you're using so little ink I've never felt the need to do that.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Alpha Legion Master of Executions-

"The sword is a distraction, he kills with the knife."

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Alpha Legion Master of Executions-

"The sword is a distraction, he kills with the knife."

owns owns owns

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN
my buddy got this for me for christmas - finally knocked it out last weekend.

My Spirit Otter
Jun 15, 2006

CANADA DOESN'T GET PENS LIKE THIS

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made American Products. Bitch.
lookin great. why do the dark angels have jawas anyway??

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Cease to Hope posted:

Agreed, although that was partly a condition of the pandemic. I could get GW paints and Vallejo locally so I stuck with Vallejo with some GW contrast. Now the local store has AK, ProAcryl, and Army Painter so I've got a lot more choice. Man I love ProAcryl these days, although AK 3rd gen is pretty great. I imagine the new Vallejo Model Colours are going to be excellent as well.

Also imo Vallejo Model Air Metallics are quite good. Maybe not underrated exactly but sometimes overlooked. Especially the silver for TMM highlights.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

My Spirit Otter posted:

you just found me the best sentence in 40k metafiction:

quote:

Upon the awakening of Lion El'Jonson in Mirror-Caliban, it was the Watchers who attempted to guide him back into the Imperium

Mirror
Caliban

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

My Spirit Otter posted:

Pretty sure they don't know either, and anyone who questions it too intentely gets disappeared and probably sold for parts on some desert deathworld