Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

We Don't Talk About Hannibal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ENmME9RoVg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Guys, I was always going to talk about the murders and cannibalism, I just needed to seperate it from the character stuff.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Spaced God posted:

I do not want to hear him talk

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Fil5000 posted:

Noah Gervais is the closest I can think of beyond the ones you've described. He definitely does multiple takes and the background footage is cut together from multiple gameplay sessions but it feels like a guy just reading an essay to you.

and it's like honey poured into my ears, I'm not sure what the complaint is

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

A few of Noah's recent-ish vids you also hear him just take a line again from the top and leave it in, makes it feel more real

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Ann Reardon explores YouTube's biases and failings - Shorts, gender disparity, content farms, and more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxGFEUefv6g

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

quinton should read every post on this forum and make a 30 minute video about it

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nazzadan posted:

A few of Noah's recent-ish vids you also hear him just take a line again from the top and leave it in, makes it feel more real

I assume it's not intentional per se, but it does result in some explicit gems

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Dongicus posted:

quinton should read every post on this forum and make a 30 minute video about it

theres no way he'd make a 30 minute video have you even watch a quinton video dumbas

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

well it would be a good challenge

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

and it's like honey poured into my ears, I'm not sure what the complaint is

I've no complaints, I was just responding to a person asking for videos with "minimal editing". Noah's stuff is great.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

theres no way he'd make a 30 minute video have you even watch a quinton video dumbas

thats the loving joke you stupid piece of poo poo. die! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA8cxc37HN4

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

I assume it's not intentional per se, but it does result in some explicit gems

Lmao I was thinking of exactly this one

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Noah Gervais is the closest I can think of beyond the ones you've described. He definitely does multiple takes and the background footage is cut together from multiple gameplay sessions but it feels like a guy just reading an essay to you.

yeah this is a good one. more like that

Lord Stimperor posted:

Like these?

https://blog.favoree.io/articles/best-video-essay-youtubers/
https://www.reddit.com/r/videoessay/comments/s9enur/long_form_video_essay_youtube_channels_on/

There's a bunch of battletech guys who just talk lore at you over near-static images but that's probably not what you're looking for :v:

e: The Well there's your problem podcast is also, as said by themselves, a podcast with slides.

Tons of accident investigation channels that are essentially spoken over looping stock footage or slides/photographs
Plainly Difficult
DisasterBreakdown
Mini Air Crash Investigations

some are fine there, but couple of those seem to have videos with lots of cuts and transitions

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
In 1985 Toei Animation released a very special anime movie called Odin: Photon Sailer Starlight, perhaps more colloquially known as "ODEeeeeeeennn!".
It's one of the biggest messes ever made. Please, allow me to tell you its story, at least the part of it I know:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6moe69uWtp4

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01qkVPQxDA4

Mandalore reviews Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i'm the only chinese room fan i'm aware of and machine for pigs was a bad misfire. the very end was great but good luck tolerating the rest of it

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Oxxidation posted:

i'm the only chinese room fan i'm aware of and machine for pigs was a bad misfire. the very end was great but good luck tolerating the rest of it

I like Dear Esther.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
i became reasonably into walking sims starting with dear esther but i don't think it's aged too well

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

SexyBlindfold posted:

i became reasonably into walking sims starting with dear esther but i don't think it's aged too well

Not sure if it was in the brilliantly voiced lp of Pigs here but there were videos switching some audio from both games and it was classic. A machine for Esther was one, if memory serves.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
Hbomberguy, please do another serious lore analysis, we need your help understanding Dan Schneider.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

all Dear Esther has going for it is a pretty cave. it's a pretty banal play otherwise with high school poetry and the slowest movement speed in the world. i liked Gone Home btw

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

TelevisedInsanity posted:

Hbomberguy, please do another serious lore analysis, we need your help understanding Dan Schneider.

Hbomb should do a video on Quinton, call it "Serious Bore Analysis'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cumpantry posted:

all Dear Esther has going for it is a pretty cave. it's a pretty banal play otherwise with high school poetry and the slowest movement speed in the world. i liked Gone Home btw

gone home is okay but it is physically impossible for me to type its name without typing gone homo first

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
I'm forever thankful for the Gone Homo joke because I've failed to mentally move beyond a 10 year old mentality.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
he's gone homo

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Endorph posted:

gone home is okay but it is physically impossible for me to type its name without typing gone homo first

goon homo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te8aGVKgx2o

Anime Abandon looks at Kimera.

EDIT. Kind of a weaker outing from Bennett, IMO. I like when he talks about industry veterans and background details but he ain't lying when he says this episode is a mid 2000s riff review. So keep that in mind if you like his more analytical videos.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 6, 2024

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
So surreal to hear the guy who used to do Masterpiece Fanfic Theatre give a content warning.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01qkVPQxDA4

Mandalore reviews Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Cackling at transitioning into the deadly premonition music after the big epic monologue.

I had no idea the Dear Esther people made one of the Amnesia games, how wild.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Garrand posted:

Hbomb should do a video on Quinton, call it "Serious Bore Analysis'

Not going to lie, I would like to see something like this, but isn't really something Harris would do because it would be a little too much punching down.

If he was one of those Anti-Woke reactionary conservatives, possibly. If he was a plagiarist like Somerton, and it's a problem to address absolutely.

But I think the angle would be something along the lines of "why would anybody make video essays their thing, if they aren't media savvy" and go into the lengths people go to follow trends from the AVGN clones of "I am forced to play this game" to the Video Essays where it's better spent doing an iCarly Recap Podcast.

And then point out the best ones are the kind that find their signature voice and run with it, like Legal Eagle or Abandoned or Stop Skeletons From Fighting.

Culminating in that third act twist - lots of YouTubers are burning out fast and "quitting" and go into something like the Game Theorists being like a Cinemassacre, pre-written voice or people like Tom Scott have better things than YouTube to do, YouTube is not everything.

And if it was anybody else, they would just go for the low hanging fruit of "look at this weirdo who watches a sitcom for teenage girls and spends hours talking about it, FOR THE IRONY"

that being said, hbomberguy dunking on Brian Robbins being friends with Dan Schneider would be really funny

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ever read or say a word so many times it doesn't even sound like a word anymore? Dan schneider

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
ngl after all the somerton poo poo I would be shocked if hbomb does another video on a specific personality at any point ever

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TelevisedInsanity posted:

But I think the angle would be something along the lines of "why would anybody make video essays their thing, if they aren't media savvy"

I mean by and large the people who make video essays their thing aren't at all media savvy.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
hbomberguy should fight quinton in a steel cage match

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
bah gawd that's mike matei's music

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

ngl after all the somerton poo poo I would be shocked if hbomb does another video on a specific personality at any point ever

i hope he does a tommy tallarico followup but it's understandable if he doesnt

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

I never played it because the first game sucked

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

bah gawd that's mike matei's music

"Mike change the channel, harris bomberguy and quinton are having an eleven hour long no holds barred match!"
"But I'm playing Super Contra..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i can not read "a machine for pigs" without thinking of the "center for ants" scene from zoolander