Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Tokyo last is interesting, people are going to have different experiences with jetlag. Immediately traveling to another location early the next day may or may not be something people want to do. For me personally I would love it, the first day after landing I am good to go at 6am.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Two more options in Nagoya are also Lego land and the train/maglev museum

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The train museum is cool.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

extravadanza posted:

Your trip plan looks amazing and will totally work out great, I'm sure. You know what you will enjoy better than us randos on the internet. It's a lot of train time, BUT train time is fun and a tourist experience on its own!

If you want to consider some changes, here's my thoughts:

Through my work I spent a few months in Nagoya between 2014~2019. It's obviously not a famous city for tourism, but it's not *terrible*. Because of that, Nagoya's attractions generally don't have the crowds you have to deal with in Tokyo and Kyoto. You have 8 days in Tokyo already, which is quite a lot. Consider this?

8 May - Arrive in Tokyo
9 May - Leave early to go to Nagoya -> Ghibli Park. Spend day there and then spend night in Nagoya (this is already fairly set in stone as this was the only day I was able to get for GP)
10 May - Day in Nagoya (Options: Toyota Museum, Nagoya Castle, Shopping Osu Kannon, Atsuta Jingu)
11 May - Nagoya -> Osaka
12 May - Day in Osaka
13 May - Leave early to Kyoto, short train ride
14 -17 May - Kyoto (Work in a day trip to Nara somewhere - there and back in 1 day)
18 May - Train to Tokyo

19-27 May - Tokyo, with a trip and overnight stay to Hakone somewhere in the middle.
28 May - Fly home.

I'm probably the only person advocating for a day in Nagoya because, really, it's not a tourist destination... but if you're gonna be there anyway for ghibli park...

This is interesting as I'd not really considered Nagoya (maybe because that was the bit of Yakuza 5 I quit out on lol) but I'll definitely check it out. I'm surprised you've suggested so many more days in Kyoto than Osaka - do you think that there's that much less to see in Osaka?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Osaka is great, but it's not that different from Tokyo (or Nagoya, frankly). It's Big Japanese City. Kyoto/Nara are more of a contrast to Tokyo.

Plus if you're staying in Kyoto and there was something else you wanted to do in Osaka you can just go back for the day, it's no big deal.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 4, 2024

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Shammypants posted:

the first day after landing I am good to go at 6am.

The first day after landing I am good to go at... 2am :(

For the first few, actually.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 4, 2024

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

This is probably a terrible illustration, but compare the size of the Kyoto-Osaka-Nara-(Kobe) area to the greater Tokyo-Yokohama-Saitama-(Chiba) area.
The orange triangle is the centers of Osaka, Kyoto and Nara connected.

The point is just, if you are okay with covering all of the greater Tokyo area from a single hotel, you should also not need separate hotels in Kyoto and Osaka.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Thanks for the advice regarding the Kyushu JR pass. It looks like I'd still spend less on individual tickets than the pass.

For getting around via bus and metro in Fukuoka, should I be getting the Sugoca or Nimoca IC card? Used to pay solely via cash before but that was in Tokyo/Osaka where the metro covers pretty much everything and I figure IC cards would be easier this time around since there are places in Fukuoka more easily accessible via bus.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

This is probably a terrible illustration, but compare the size of the Kyoto-Osaka-Nara-(Kobe) area to the greater Tokyo-Yokohama-Saitama-(Chiba) area.
The orange triangle is the centers of Osaka, Kyoto and Nara connected.

The point is just, if you are okay with covering all of the greater Tokyo area from a single hotel, you should also not need separate hotels in Kyoto and Osaka.

Kobe also isn't very far away at all.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

anakha posted:

Thanks for the advice regarding the Kyushu JR pass. It looks like I'd still spend less on individual tickets than the pass.

For getting around via bus and metro in Fukuoka, should I be getting the Sugoca or Nimoca IC card? Used to pay solely via cash before but that was in Tokyo/Osaka where the metro covers pretty much everything and I figure IC cards would be easier this time around since there are places in Fukuoka more easily accessible via bus.

Suica/Icoca/Sugoca can be used across most of Japan, with exceptions for less visited cities that aren't on your itinerary.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

History Comes Inside! posted:

Excess baggage will be way, way more expensive than shipping it because airlines presume they’ve got you by the balls and gouge the gently caress out of you.

Depends on the airline and article, but I wouldn't be surprised if an extra bag was cheaper. Airlines also treat musical instruments more leniently in terms of dimensions, etc.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Bring the guitar and an amp on the plane and serenade the crew.

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Depends on the airline and article, but I wouldn't be surprised if an extra bag was cheaper. Airlines also treat musical instruments more leniently in terms of dimensions, etc.

Yeah, my husband priced this out a few years ago and found that the extra baggage was cheaper due to the shape/length. Not sure what it's like now, though.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

In March I led two tour groups of 25/47 people and my observation is that from an airline perspective, it's better to use one big suitcase instead of two small suitcases.

If you are great at packing light and won't do any shopping and have very tight transfers, then you can do carry-on only. But if you are traveling with anyone else and even one of you needs to check a bag, then you will be waiting at baggage claim anyway, so you might as well take advantage of the baggage allowance.
Some economy fares allow two suitcases, some only allow one, so check your policy before you pack.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Question Mark Mound posted:

handier than carrying another card around with me though.

I usually swap out another card for it, like a driver's license.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
+1 for nagoya being OK

(posted from nagoya)

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
nagoya sux

posted from a plane above japan

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
A wise man visits Nagoya once. Only a fool visits it twice.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Aredna posted:

A wise man visits Nagoya once. Only a fool visits it twice.

15 years, zero visits.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
I stayed in Nagoya once as a stopover between Osaka-Tokyo to visit Ise. Wasn't really impressed with Nagoya but I felt I never really gave it a fair chance since I barely did anything in Nagoya city proper.

Seems like a fine city to live in but doesn't really have much going on for visitors. Plus Nagoya hotels are expensive for some reason - Not Tokyo levels but pricier than Osaka for some reason.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Okay, I’m thinking I’m using the whole “base” idea for the Sendai trip - how does Osaka sound for the base? My theory is that since I’ll need to catch at least the final final train back to wherever, I should stay in Osaka as that’s the place where I’m most likely to want to do stuff later at night.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Comrade Fakename posted:

Okay, I’m thinking I’m using the whole “base” idea for the Sendai trip - how does Osaka sound for the base? My theory is that since I’ll need to catch at least the final final train back to wherever, I should stay in Osaka as that’s the place where I’m most likely to want to do stuff later at night.

Sendai is 865KM from Osaka.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, I meant Kansai lol

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Osaka is probably the best base because it functions as a transportation hub and has night life.

Delita
Jan 6, 2005
But if you want to go to any of the tourist places in Kyoto without a huge crowd you'll have to go as early in the morning as you can.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

It's worth noting that Kyoto has a ton of underrated places that tourists don't go, so in theory you can get a very similar or even better experience visiting a less popular temple or street and not have a ton of crowds. The weird thing about Japan for me is that the crowds are a feature, I am looking to move around town to town and hotel to hotel and see tons of people now and again. Higashiyama is just a bunch of tourist junk at overpriced levels anyway, but all the people make it feel a bit exciting.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
I misread Higashiyama as Hiroshima and thought man, I don't know if I'd call the museum "tourist junk"...

I don't really understand people trying to avoid crowds. You're not going to be the only one getting up early. And it's not like these places are supposed to be devoid of people. If you really want that, you have no business being in Kyoto. Well, I take it back, there's lots to the north of Kyoto that's pretty devoid of people. But you get the meaning.

For people looking for photographs, your best bet is to set up a tripod and take a bunch of pictures and stitch them together to remove the people. I think lightroom or photoshop can do it automatically. But it's otherwise a fool's errand.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For me, "early riser" crowds are really easily manageable. Swarms of humanity are something else, especially in major tourist areas. Normally I don't really try to avoid crowds, but hitting Meiji Jingu or Higashiyama or something like that at peak hours is something I will go out of my way to avoid.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I think it depends on the context. I was in Okayama over new years and changed my plans to visit Miyajima because I realised that the queues were gonna be absolutely massive with everyone trying to do their shrine visits for the new year. I was travelling with my ten year old kid and my partner who uses a prosthetic leg and can't stand for ages, so spending most of the day standing around waiting didn't appeal.

By the same token, we did Tokyo Disneyland on the same trip and the crowds were massive but apparently that's just unavoidable and we just got some fast passes and sucked it up.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I've done both Disney Sea and DL without massive crowds. I think it just depends on day of week/time of year.

Meskhenet
Apr 26, 2010

The new part of Disney sea opens up soon.

Ill be there in September, i doubt crowds will have died for that by then :/

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

What is there good to do in Hiroshima other than the peace park/museum? I'm starting to think through a trip for this time next year with my partner, I've been before but he hasn't. Last time I was there I passed through Hiroshima on the way to Miyajima and will probably do the same thing this time, but I think once was enough for the museum and I'd like to see more of the actual city.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

Ask me about my tattoos.
For all Japan's faults around the war and the way they treat it even now, I think everyone should visit the peace museum as a matter of personal development. Not perhaps to the extent that it needs to be done by everyone just for that but if your partner has the chance then I think he should. As for you... you could go with him or https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2160.html ? Japan-guide pretty much has everything anyone would usually recommend.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
I liked the Shukkeien Garden. We also checked out the castle. Maybe go sample some okonomiyaki? We only spent a day in Hiroshima but I really liked it there, I'd like to go back and explore it a bit more.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Hitting the breweries in Saijo is fun if you enjoy sake. Hiroshima is compact enough spending a day walking the whole main part of the city is doable.

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

For something a bit different, if you're into doing a bit of light hiking (honestly would barely call it that) I went up to Sandankyo Gorge for a day trip last year and it was a good time. Some really beautiful views and I had a great curry at the little restaurant/rest stop partway through the walk. Would take up your whole day so you'll probably want to be spending a couple days here and not just visiting for a day.

If anyone does travel to Hiroshima and wants to get some good Okonomiyaki and drink some beers then hit me up! Always fun meeting with travellers here

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

bovis posted:

For something a bit different, if you're into doing a bit of light hiking (honestly would barely call it that) I went up to Sandankyo Gorge for a day trip last year and it was a good time. Some really beautiful views and I had a great curry at the little restaurant/rest stop partway through the walk. Would take up your whole day so you'll probably want to be spending a couple days here and not just visiting for a day.

If anyone does travel to Hiroshima and wants to get some good Okonomiyaki and drink some beers then hit me up! Always fun meeting with travellers here

Oh that's absolutely gorgeous, I'll see if we can fit it in.

My partner's going to do the museum for sure, I agree it's important, but I also think it's a pity to just treat the whole city as the one museum to something horrific and not get to see how it actually is as a living city today.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

bovis posted:

quoting this so I can find you when the time is right

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004
Hiroshima is a very chill city to just hang out in. It seems to have a much more relaxed vibe than other similarly sized Japanese cities. Definitely not just a huge A-bomb museum.

Also go to a Carp game if at all possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
I'm starting to place restaurant reservations and order tickets for stuff like the Ghibli Museum tour etc. That being said, I'd like to go to a Michelin starred restaurant if possible for the experience but have no idea where to start looking.

I do have a certain budget in mind I'd like to stick with (1k-2k rmb or $140-$277 USD/21k-42k yen) but no idea how to narrow down my choices beyond that. I guess sushi or kaiseki/omakase? But apparently Japanese people don't actually divide restaurants by omakase and it's just a way of saying a restaurant fixed course menu? It's basically an embarrassment of riches when it comes to food choices in Tokyo.

Any recommendations? I guess I could peruse tabelog... :shrug: