Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

distortion park posted:

It's really annoying how Boseiju makes artifacts so so much worse. 0 cost to include for basically any deck that plays green and can completely blow you out.

It is very funny to me that in modern RN magus of the moon is better than blood moon. This is just because it is so easy for Titan and tron to fetch boseiju and use it against blood moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

What standard cards ramp more efficiently than 1 net mana with some free life gain stapled on? I want to play those!

Not seeing any play at 3 and being frustrated about that as a mythic are totally justifiable opinions but the hyperbole about the hypothetical 2 mana version is silly.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 5, 2024

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

What standard cards ramp more efficiently than 1 net mana with some free life gain stapled on? I want to play those!

Not seeing any play at 3 and being frustrated about that as a mythic are totally justifiable opinions but the hyperbole about the hypothetical 2 mana version is silly.

The Celestus gives you looting in addition to lifegain, The Irencrag is a straight-up 2 mana rock.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Invasion of Zendikar grabs 2 lands and a 4/4 vigilant creature Land when flipped

Topiary Stomper gets a land and a 4/4 vigilant creature when the condition is met

Contagious Vorrac digs for 2 lands and can proliferate if you whiff on any

Those are just off the top of my head, there are probably a bunch that I forgot but are most likely better than that rock

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Fritzler posted:

It is very funny to me that in modern RN magus of the moon is better than blood moon. This is just because it is so easy for Titan and tron to fetch boseiju and use it against blood moon.

I was playing Amulet Titan deck and kept a slow hand against... idk it was some off meta red deck and they put magus out then promptly beat my rear end just with the magus lmfao

Drew nothin but lands, kept a durdly Boseiju hand cause yeah, blood Moon, never drew a dismember. RIP in peace to me that game bahaha

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Silhouette posted:

It wouldn't be playable at any mv over 1 because green doesn't want or need mana rocks when they can just ramp with more efficient methods

This thing is garbage and will feel real bad to open in packs, like getting Infuriate in the strixhaven mystical archive slot, which I loving swear was printed 300:1 for every other card on that sheet

I've been running some numbers on how likely it is to see some of these inclusions. For the bonus sheet OTP slot, you'll see any particular uncommon almost exactly as often as a set uncommon:

The OTP slot is split 20/30/15 U/R/M. And it's an uncommon 66% of the time. So any particular uncommon will be in 1/30 packs. Compared to 3 + .8 times a fourth uncommon slot at 1/100.

The odds of opening any particular BIG card like this are really small. 1/5 chance to upgrade from uncommon, 11/12 chance it's BIG not SPG, 1/30 odds of it being the mana rock. About .22 of any one per booster box.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Silhouette posted:

Invasion of Zendikar grabs 2 lands and a 4/4 vigilant creature Land when flipped

Topiary Stomper gets a land and a 4/4 vigilant creature when the condition is met

Contagious Vorrac digs for 2 lands and can proliferate if you whiff on any

Those are just off the top of my head, there are probably a bunch that I forgot but are most likely better than that rock

Jabor posted:

The Celestus gives you looting in addition to lifegain, The Irencrag is a straight-up 2 mana rock.

All of these are far worse than the hypothetical 2 mana version of that rock, with the possible exceptions of Invasion and Stomper specifically and only for Domain. A 2 mana Ancient Cornucopia might even be enough to push a different version of Atraxa ramp into prominence over domain.

The Celestus seeing fringe play is exactly why I think the 3 mana version still might see some fringe play also - the card selection is very powerful, but the lifegain of Cornucopia is a lot more consistent and potentially a lot more. It starts earlier where the lifegain can really help the deck that's ramping survive to take over with what it's ramping to. There are many good options for 3 mana ramp, so I think it's still not that likely that this one does see play, but I can see it as an outside possibility.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 5, 2024

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

A manalith that costs colored mana to cast and gains you one life maybe per turn would be garbage at common, let alone mythic so I dunno why you're choosing this hill to die on

The only good 3 mana rocks printed into standard in the last 20 years are the celestus, midnight clock and heraldic banner, with maybe a consideration for replicating ring and skyclave relic

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
can we talk about potential playability of cards without bringing in phrases like "choosing this hill to die on"

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I'm completely sympathetic to you saying it's a garbage mythic. I'm not arguing against that at all, and I probably wouldn't have said anything at all if people had just said they thought it was a terrible mythic, a bad rock, and wouldn't see play. Y'all saying a hypothetical 2 mana version would be unplayable was what pulled me in to talking about it.

For 3 mana rocks Relic of Legends and Staff of Completion are both recent printings and have seen fringe play in multiple formats.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So just a question that's struck me from playing Standard in Arena, after having played only Yu-Gi-Oh and commander: is there an actually good reason I see people playing 250-card decks, or is that just someone who doesn't understand deckbuilding cramming in every card that looks cool?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there is no strategic benefit to playing more than the minimum amount of cards on arena, and you should probably play ranked instead of casual

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

All of these are far worse than the hypothetical 2 mana version of that rock, with the possible exceptions of Invasion and Stomper specifically and only for Domain. A 2 mana Ancient Cornucopia might even be enough to push a different version of Atraxa ramp into prominence over domain.

The Celestus seeing fringe play is exactly why I think the 3 mana version still might see some fringe play also - the card selection is very powerful, but the lifegain of Cornucopia is a lot more consistent and potentially a lot more. It starts earlier where the lifegain can really help the deck that's ramping survive to take over with what it's ramping to. There are many good options for 3 mana ramp, so I think it's still not that likely that this one does see play, but I can see it as an outside possibility.

The lifegain is probably not why celestus saw play...

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
there should be a magic card named hill to die on

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

flatluigi posted:

there is no strategic benefit to playing more than the minimum amount of cards on arena, and you should probably play ranked instead of casual

I am, but I'm playing low ranked, so it's a bunch of idiots. (Which I will unfortunately wear as well; I play a black-green toxic deck and a red-blue 'dig for artifacts' deck, neither of which can quite manage being reliable.)

I thought that I might've maybe been looking at some sort of strategy, since while I naturally never see them playing the same cards, I do always see them doing a fair amount of scrying. That almost resembled a gameplan.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Cleretic posted:

So just a question that's struck me from playing Standard in Arena, after having played only Yu-Gi-Oh and commander: is there an actually good reason I see people playing 250-card decks, or is that just someone who doesn't understand deckbuilding cramming in every card that looks cool?

There's an old blue enchantment called Battle of Wits that cost 3UU and said, "At the beginning of your upkeep, if your library has 200 or more cards in it, you win the game."

But as that card doesn't currently exist on Arena (to my knowledge), no, there's no point to them doing it other than they felt like it.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Cleretic posted:

(note: this is not in Arena in any form lol)

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
there are decks that like to self-mill to win, but i don't think there's a reason in standard to play them and they're also just better to play with a smaller deck for a number of reasons

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Slogurk deck has a legitimate reason to play as many as 80 cards, which is highly unusual outside of Yorion decks. But 200 is always a mistake unless you're playing Battle of Wits.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

GrandpaPants posted:

Does this art look 90s CG as hell to anyone else? It looks like a screenshot from Planescape: Torment or something to me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

This is what 1990s cg looks like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5UC5UNWims

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The worldsoul's rage decks will go up to the high sixties as well because they want a certain number of lands that actually tap for mana that they can grab out of the deck, AND a balanced amount of new-capenna fetches to actually do that fetching, while also not having SO many more lands than spells that they do actually flood out.

Honestly in general if a deck is going more than 60 cards it's generally doing something weird where the amount of lands in the deck itself directly matters, absent being yorion

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

This is perfect, so what's the holdup on the mtg show? They already have the target model to aim for.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Is the next ban announcement soon? Aftermath Analyst really isn't fun to play against.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Very soon after thunder junction which is soon, but Aftermath Analyst is in no way the sort of thing they're looking to ban in the current philosophy, so don't get your hopes up.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Aftermath Analyst is fine and will also have to contend with Rest In Peace after the set releases. There’s no chance of a ban.

P.S. I did call that one last spoiler season.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Then how are you meant to interact with it if you're not in white?

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Soul Guide Lantern was just reprinted in eldraine

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Justin_Brett posted:

Then how are you meant to interact with it if you're not in white?

There are plenty of non-white pieces of yard hate, plus you can counter the analyst, pull it out of their hands, win before they can dump six mana into the cast + activation etc. If nobody sounds particularly sympathetic it's because this is the best Standard has been in a long rear end time and we rarely get a deck as fun or combo-y as these Analyst decks.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
what's this analyst deck look like because I apparently took enough of a break from standard to not see it get made

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

flatluigi posted:

what's this analyst deck look like because I apparently took enough of a break from standard to not see it get made

There's a few different versions but the main one currently is Temur and uses Aftermath Analysts with Nissa, Resurgent Animist to play Virtue of Strength for massive Worldsoul's Rages. Otherwise it mostly plays sweepers and setup pieces, and it's by far the best Memory Deluge deck.

https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=53932&d=600697&f=ST

The first version used Aftermath Analyst + Nissa to do Slogurk and Takenuma loops and milled out the opponent by recurring Jace in a 68 card special, absolutely stomping the 75k tournament it debuted in.

https://mtgtop8.com/event?e=52673&d=591268&f=ST

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
I haven't played since WAR and have the itch to start up again. Is the best way to build up a collection sill to do a bunch of AI best-of-one drafts (is that still a thing?). I have 11,000 gems on my account currently. Interested mostly in limited but also enjoy standard if there is a fun deck.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I had aftermath analyst in a monogreen deck I played yesterday and it was a blast just doing monogreen rampy stompy things. It takes a bit to get to that point, plenty of decks could punch through before I get all my lands AND another turn to do something crazy with it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Tainen posted:

I haven't played since WAR and have the itch to start up again. Is the best way to build up a collection sill to do a bunch of AI best-of-one drafts (is that still a thing?). I have 11,000 gems on my account currently. Interested mostly in limited but also enjoy standard if there is a fun deck.

Yeah just have fun in limited, whichever version suits your mood. If you're good you might have more fun in BO3.

There are a lot of standard decks right now but they usually pull from so many sets it's unlikely you'll draft them naturally but building up WCs through drafting will open up deck options.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Hmm, I should probably put Aftermath Analyst in my Nissa Resurgent brawl deck... what to replace though

Edit: it was between Gala Greeters and Deeproot Wayfinder.... Greeters being an Elf has been relevant with Allosaurus Shepherd and Wayfinder is actually just a kinda uneven dripfeed to Analyst's ability lol so that's probably the one

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

fadam posted:

There are plenty of non-white pieces of yard hate, plus you can counter the analyst, pull it out of their hands, win before they can dump six mana into the cast + activation etc. If nobody sounds particularly sympathetic it's because this is the best Standard has been in a long rear end time and we rarely get a deck as fun or combo-y as these Analyst decks.

I honestly didn't get that vibe since I did ask questions and got fair answers. I also feel like there's a reason standard doesn't usually get decks like this though!

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
My favorite comment I saw regarding the aftermath analyst decks:

"i'm winning a reasonably average amount of games but there are very few turns where i don't feel like i'm doing it wrong"

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

I've said it before but I think this set will change a lot more than the previous ones have.

An unordered list of extremely powerful cards that stand a very good chance of seeing play:

Aven Interrupter
Claim Jumper (maybe the best on-the-draw protection printed to Standard ever)
Final Showdown
Duelist of the Mind
Three Steps Ahead
Lively Dirge
Kaervek, the Punisher
Slickshot Show-Off
Bristly Bill, Spine Sower
Smuggler's Surprise
Honest Rutstein
Make Your Own Luck
Jace Reawakened
RIP
Harvester of Misery
Pest Control
Sword of Wealth and Power
Rush of Dread

Still very strong cards:

Frontier Seeker
High Noon
One Last Job
Requisition Raid
Geralf, the Fleshwright
Stoic Sphinx
Forsaken Miner
Gisa, the Hellraiser
Tinybones Joins Up
Calamity, Galloping Inferno
Highway Robbery
Magda, the Hoardmaster
Scorching Shot
Aloe Alchemist
Beastbond Outcaster
Colossal Rattlewurm
Dance of the Tumbleweeds
Freestrider Lookout
Goldvein Hydra
Ornery Tumblewagg
Assimilation Aegis
The Gitrog, Ravenous Ride
Kellan, the Kid
Laughing Jasper Flint
Malcolm, the Eyes
Rakdos Joins Up
Ruthless Lawbringer
Satoru, the Infiltrator
Slick Sequence
Vial Smasher, Gleeful Grenadier
Collector's Cage
Simulacrum Synthesizer
Hostile Investigator
Generous Plunderer
Legion Extruder
Omenpath Journey
Nexus of Becoming
Torpor Orb
Fomori Vault

And then a bunch of cards that seem more borderline but I wouldn't be at all surprised to see played a decent amount:

Fortune, Loyal Steed
Archmage's Newt
Fblthp, Lost on the Range
Harrier Strix
Phantom Interference
Gold Rush
Hardbristle Bandit
Caustic Bronco
Tinybone, the Pickpocket
Unscrupulous Contractor
Cunning Coyote
Railway Brawler
Spinewoods Armadillo
Bonny Pall, Clearcutter
Annie Joins Up
Vraska Joins Up
Rakdos, the Muscle
Wylie Duke, Atiin Hero
Greed's Gambit
Memory Vessel
Molten Duplication
Oltec Matterweaver
Worldwaker Helm
Lost Jitte
Loot, the Key to Everything

I'm sure I've missed some and obviously this is waaaaaay too many for them all to see play, but this is the biggest shakeup in a long time.

Tom Clancy is Dead fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Apr 6, 2024

kung fu jive
Jul 2, 2014

SOPHISTICATED DOG SHIT
This set is definitely juiced. I’m cautiously hopeful for something big to come of Tinybones Joins Up and Satoru (separately, not together). I am not a prowess enjoyer but I will pick up a set of Slickshot in the hopes that it is modern viable. Or pioneer. If this set shakes up pioneer enough I might grind the RCQ season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Justin_Brett posted:

I honestly didn't get that vibe since I did ask questions and got fair answers. I also feel like there's a reason standard doesn't usually get decks like this though!

TBH my impression is the reason is mostly because they're usually not very good