Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

Onmi posted:

I don't think it's literally a copy of Overhaul's quirk, but was a similar one in stock of "Destruction/regeneration."

When he’s talking about the quirk, it shows a flashback to Overhaul in the orphanage. I think it’s pretty strongly implied.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I recall someone also mentioning there was a detail back in Overhaul's arc that had visual ties to AFO's orphanage.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I remember when people theorized that AFO is Deku's dad. It turns out he was Tomura's (in a manner of speaking) all along.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I mean, Aizawa did need his final hero moment but.

Lol.

EDIT 2: Dumbfuck prediction Shigaraki, when regaining control, will decide he doesn't want quirks anymore and give away all his quirks, including AfO's factors back to Deku. This way, the manga will get to have Deku's final sacrifice but also eat its cake too and have Deku stay the strongest hero. Hell, give Deku decay while you're there, why not.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 6, 2024

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm glad that this is how we all became the greatest hero

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is all kinda dumb since while it was telegraphed he gave Tenko the decay power, him meddling to that extend is pretty absurd and removes a lot of the agency from the other characters. Of course that is probably the point so later Shigaraki can be another AFO victim and not responsible for his many ridiculous crimes.

However I like Sero a bunch so having the C team of the class get to have a baller moment where they straight up attack the final boss without him seeing it coming because of his evil gloating and save the main character was pretty awesome.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the absolute losers of the class being the last resort reinforcements is a cool idea but this fights dragged on so long and hit the same beats over and over that it feels less like a cool moment and more like horikoshi desperately reaching for anyone to drag this out another chapter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my theory: eri comes in through the gate too and uses her quirk to give deku his limbs back and then he bullshits out a win against afo and then ending

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In other news, the anime started back up again today if anyone’s interested

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Honestly I would have been fine with this completely if AFO hadn't ALSO been out of jail and walking around and fighting for ninety chapters. Like imagine he'd died in prison or in the earlier All Might fight while laughing that it was part of his plan or something, and only now was this revealed. Frankly it makes sense, and even ties in overhaul's arc.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
AfO really is the Evil Jesus, lmao.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
As he dies AFO is going to reveal he gave deku's dad a broken version of the fatherhood quirk

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Dog Kisser posted:

Honestly I would have been fine with this completely if AFO hadn't ALSO been out of jail and walking around and fighting for ninety chapters. Like imagine he'd died in prison or in the earlier All Might fight while laughing that it was part of his plan or something, and only now was this revealed. Frankly it makes sense, and even ties in overhaul's arc.

I guess I shouldn't have been surprised by AFO doing yet another rear end pull and coming back after being beaten for what must be the 10th time but it's severely disappointing.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

PringleCreamEgg posted:

There are early text spoilers out on reddit and I have to post about them.

Shiggy’s dad didn’t even want more kids but AfO told him to have another kid explicitly so he could give them a quirk, which was originally identical to Overhaul’s quirk but they modified out the reconstruction aspect so it would just disintegrate. This knowledge caused a complete ego collapse of Shigaraki who then disintegrates into nothing, Deku is kicked out of the mind world missing his arms for some reason. AfO is in control of Shiggy but Cero suddenly ties up ShiggyfO with his tape and then Sugar Rush and Ojiro arrive as backup. I saw some pictures of armless Deku so this might actually be real lmao

I would’ve bet an unlimited amount of money that these spoilers were fake. Suppose it’s just as well that I’m not a betting man.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

We spent all that time debating if Shigaraki deserved to be saved, but I think the real question is if he would have been better off just dying in a fight instead of being put through all of this.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

So we're going to learn what happened to Deku's father right before the actual final fight, right?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
i think it's so amazing that the culmination of the entire story hinged on saving shigaraki, a character who didn't even exist. oops! all for one!

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Final prediction: Animal guy is going to come and summon a shiba that looks like Shigaraki's old dog, re-awakening his ego and saving the world.

Deku gets a job as a coat rack for a nearby restaurant

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlV3VpM2fNA

Trailer for the new movie dropped. Guess the bad guy is just going by the name Dark Might. I like the look of his goon squad at least.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also apparently the first 4 episodes of Season 7 are all going to be recaps

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Larryb posted:

Also apparently the first 4 episodes of Season 7 are all going to be recaps

Ah, the Xenogears approach to advancing the story.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Does MHA need 4 episodes of recap? Are they covering the entire series?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

No clue why they’re doing it but yeah, they’re calling it “My Hero Academia Memories”

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It's because wherever they're ending this season, they didn't have enough episodes to stretch it out to a full cour, so the season doesn't really begin until May, these are just recaps to catch people up on the story and to fill the timeslot until then.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m kind of curious where even would be a good stopping point for this season (maybe after the Ochako/Toga fight or immediately after Bakugo reenters the fray)

For that matter, where in the timeline are they even putting the upcoming movie?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Larryb posted:

Yeah, I’m kind of curious where even would be a good stopping point for this season (maybe after the Ochako/Toga fight or immediately after Bakugo reenters the fray)

For that matter, where in the timeline are they even putting the upcoming movie?

I think the movie is during Deku's solo run right after the war, but before he starts spiraling into dark Deku. I can't think of any other point that would work.

Elite
Oct 30, 2010

Rhonne posted:

At this point All For One deserves to win, he clearly wants it more.

Basically this.

All the previous OfA holders got devoured by Shiggy because his ego was so powerful and his rage was so pure... then 2 chapters later AfO shows up again and casually mindjacks Shiggy. You can say that this was a deliberate weakness that AFO engineered and that it needed Deku to destabilise Shiggy to trigger it, but still the whole sequence makes the heroes look like chumps.

I doubt MHA will go for a downer ending, so I very much expect that Shiggy will reassert himself as the dominant personality (maybe Toga and Spinner will convince him he’s got a wonderful life of quirk Supermax ahead of him) but still this looks like a colossal fuckup from team hero.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
the giving him the quirk thing is nice and well telegraphed, but just this context really looks like he either also went and put abusive brain waves into his dad or was just "oh man, sure hope that works out lol"

this leading into another round against AFO is the dumbest, tho. Sure, it's cool that the side cast will get to land hits at the end, but my understanding is that the whole last year was that lmao

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I do enjoy OFA saying "Now begins the terribly empty and pointless final goal, world domination." Even he seems kind of bored by all this, like he's not even looking forward to winning.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I saw a theory on another website that sounds like a plausible way to redeem Shigaraki without all of the messy "Now he has to go to prison forever" stuff: his body dies, but he gets to live as a Vestige inside of Deku.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Dolash posted:

I do enjoy OFA saying "Now begins the terribly empty and pointless final goal, world domination." Even he seems kind of bored by all this, like he's not even looking forward to winning.

Well One For All has seemingly been lost and All For One can't sense his brother anymore, so he's technically failed at his main goal. All that's left is to make the rest of the world pay.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I saw a theory on another website that sounds like a plausible way to redeem Shigaraki without all of the messy "Now he has to go to prison forever" stuff: his body dies, but he gets to live as a Vestige inside of Deku.

Why would you punish Deku by forcing him to live with a League of Legends player in his head for the rest of his life?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Rhonne posted:

Why would you punish Deku by forcing him to live with a League of Legends player in his head for the rest of his life?

You see, "Greatest Hero" means Shiggy becomes a League of Legends character and Deku mains him in his honor

Because he was The Coolest Guy™

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Who was Shiggy's league of legends main?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Amumu, a crybaby mummy whose abilities are throwing a tantrum and having an aura of decay.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
It's kind of funny how little effort it would take to do these same twists but make it work better.

Have AFO have nothing to do with Kotaro- just frame it as AFO finding out one of his shell companies employs Nana's kid and him thinking it'd be loving hilarious to get a successor out of him. He thinks about doing his plan with the girl, but decides against it when Kotaro mentions he has another kid on the way. He steals Tenko's quirk, gives him decay, and just lets nature do its work. Have AFO sell it as "Hey, I know hero society is a hosed up wreck underneath. I didn't have to do anything but give you a dangerous quirk. I knew your dad was bitter about his mom, all kids want to be heroes because of hero society, the arguments would always start around when you started to get your quirk, I knew Decay would probably manifest with you killing someone in your family, and I know society is rotten and wouldn't help you. I just set the pins up, but your beliefs about what knocked them all down was correct." Reemphasize that AFO had a lot of irons in the fire as far as manufacturing someone hosed up enough to be his successor, but Tenko worked out beautifully.

Fabricated fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Apr 6, 2024

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Theory for upcoming story beats that I’m spoilering since it involves this recent chapter:

I feel like since we’re clearly in the dumbest timeline the next story beat is going to be AfO realizing that he also stole Deku’s quirk as a baby, which will cause Shigaraki to start fighting for control again. Since we’ve seen that vestiges or ghosts are related to quirks, Shiggy is able to somehow force AfO to give back Deku’s original quirk which will be a force field, which hasn’t appeared in the series yet and is a hard counter to Shigaraki’s decay.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Bro thinks he's Yubel when he's really just Chrono Di Medici

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
horikoshi should go fish for trout in alaska instead of this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

he should make a manga about fishing for trout in alaska

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

afo is responsible for the bad catches