Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

ikanreed posted:

Doesn't China already have 3 times the number of engineers as the next country on the list(Russia)?

It really speaks to the stupidity of the economist in that they think "high tech" is a meaningfully different from incremental research and design work that all engineers do.

They really believe that there's some comic-book-esque super science that revolutionizes a field all at once. It's no wonder that they're so taken in by scams like Theranos or Tesla.

china recently passed the US in academic output: absolute number of papers, number of citations, you name it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Votskomit posted:

Maybe it's like "we had a Dotcom Hubble. I was crypto scammed. Now we've got tech layoffs and lots of our tech companies are scams. Surely China will have all the same issues, but worse since they are dumber than us smart people."

Their reasoning is " people under authoritarian rules" can not innovate. I regularly meet posters who think that even in Chinese subs. There is no point arguing with them.

Also another good one, "Elon Musk is willing to try and fail, the Chinese are not brave enough to experiment. "

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 17:35 on Apr 5, 2024

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
we all know the actual reasoning is "them inferior third worlders are just intrinsically dumber than us enlightened whiteys"

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

american guy I know reacted to the article about china producing the us cruise missile stockpile in one week by surmising the chinese missiles would be made out of wood and fail

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

corona familiar posted:

does this GDP comparison take into account the difference in methodology? iirc it was mentioned in this thread that Chinese GDP calculations don't take into account consumer services at all or something?

if not, lol even more

crepeface posted:

still makes me laugh to remember dgcf's reaction

The discovery that China uses a modification of the evil soviet Material Product System but didn't abandon it was amazing. I mean, Cuba still uses it too, but they might be doing parallelization (you do SNA/MPS -- some of the lefty non-aligned countries did that way). China supposedly ditched it in the early 90s, after doing parallelization. They might have simply gorked SNA to be a screen for some MPS-based numbers, as a sort of a translation.

The difference: the international standard by the world bank, wto, imf etc is SNA, "system of national accounts". Because of the philosophy behind it, MPS doesn't compute a lot of what we consider services in economy, while SNA not only does that, but takes account of present market prices. In contrast, MPS seeks to track to utmost the actual physical production. It's one thing to say that Steel Company produced $40.000.000 of output; another very different entirely is to say that it produced X tons of output, each ton with an average value of Y.

MPS, in that way, accounts for the actual material value added by economic activity, which makes it really good for planning. For what it doesn't work at all is to provide big fat numbers: you don't take GDP from MPS, you take NMP - net material product. Since MPS worked with administered prices, evaluating things such as consumption through money values would be counterproductive: for example, better to see how much food a household is consuming on average in relation to production and consider values from there, rather than "households are spending X on food" - because of inflation, purchasing power and what not, a household can spend lots more and even so eat less. But since SNA starts from market activity and market prices, well, if there is overall more expenditure and thus more economic activity, GDP can go up*.

Since NMP is the material net value generated, you never get that scenario - inflation is accounted for during price administration. In other words, MPS generates much more reduced numbers because it tracks the "physicality" of the economy much, much better. Therefore, a GDP comparison is rather useless with it, as GDP doesn't have that concern at all

(* I am being reductive just for the sake of explaining the two)

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Zodium posted:

american guy I know reacted to the article about china producing the us cruise missile stockpile in one week by surmising the chinese missiles would be made out of wood and fail

it would be bamboo but yes they are right

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
all you have to remember that it's always projection and that liberals are fond of alleging that communist countries falsify their national statistics

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mandel Brotset posted:

china recently passed the US in academic output: absolute number of papers, number of citations, you name it

Lol but we still rate Shanghai jiaotong university in the 400th place in international School rankings so it doesn't count

Soapy_Bumslap
Jun 19, 2013

We're gonna need a bigger chode
Grimey Drawer

Zodium posted:

Lmao god I can't wait to get a job at a re-education facility

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
You can't re-educate Americans because they were never educated in the first place.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
tell me more about how russians ran out of missiles 2 years ago by using more missiles now

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Zodium posted:

lol

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
shoulda replied that if china has the tech to make missiles out of wood, that just means they can put an even larger amount of their already insane industrial output into tank or ship production lol

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001
well crap, already posted earlier, but still funny.

Homeless Friend posted:

youtube giving me pt barnum recommendations

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62UzLgdb1GQ

hmm lets look into this guys back ground a little, I'm sure he is well qualified and impartial when writing about China.

quote:

David Rennie (born 1971)[2] is a British journalist. He is a columnist for The Economist, where until September 2017 he served as the Lexington columnist (Farewell Lexington column). He is currently Beijing bureau chief and author of the Chaguan column on China.[3] He is the son of Sir John Rennie, former 'C' (i.e., Director) of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6).[4]

Sir John Ogilvy Rennie, KCMG (13 January 1914 – 30 September 1981)[1] was the 6th Director of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) from 1968 to 1973. He was once the head of the Information Research Department (IRD), a secret branch of the UK Foreign Office dedicated to pro-colonial and anti-communist propaganda during the Cold War.

On 15 January 1973, Rennie's son Charles Tatham Ogilvy Rennie, and his daughter-in-law were arrested for an alleged involvement in the importation of large quantities of heroin from Hong Kong.[2] Rennie resigned not long afterwards.[2]

lol

GlassEye-Boy has issued a correction as of 22:34 on Apr 5, 2024

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

stephenthinkpad posted:

I notice the collapsed Taiwanese building has anti-thief cages on all of the windows. It's going to be hard for people to find a hole to get out of the building.

China old buildings used to have these, but a lot of new buildings do away with it, either by local law or there has been alot less stealing in recent years.

The problem w the cage is that in the event of fire, people trapped on the balcony can't be saved.

huh ive never seen anyone describe those things as antithief cages before id always just assumed they were antisuicide cages ironically id never seen those things when i was living in east asia at all my first experience with them was as an undergrad in the desert did i mention that the air conditioning was broken for our first few weeks and the building was a living hell because we couldnt open the windows the whole thing kindof turned into a metaphor

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

china makes cool things while america makes things like the juicero

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

They don't even really make the juicero since it's probably manufactured in Asia. Also anything America makes is a side effect of a financial scam the product is irrelevant.

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

GlassEye-Boy posted:

hmm lets look into this guys back ground a little, I'm sure he is well qualified and impartial when writing about China.

lol

lol

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Some Guy TT posted:

huh ive never seen anyone describe those things as antithief cages before id always just assumed they were antisuicide cages ironically id never seen those things when i was living in east asia at all my first experience with them was as an undergrad in the desert did i mention that the air conditioning was broken for our first few weeks and the building was a living hell because we couldnt open the windows the whole thing kindof turned into a metaphor

the were all over the place in Russia during the 90s, now they're more rare, but still common on the ground floors of big cities

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,

GlassEye-Boy posted:

lol

I suffered through part of an interview with him. the guy is like the platonic ideal of an economist “china understander”, just an awe-inspiring ability to say a whole lot of scary things without a single gram of insight into what’s happening there

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug

BULBASAUR posted:

the were all over the place in Russia during the 90s, now they're more rare, but still common on the ground floors of big cities

That's what New York City looked like in the early 90s too

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
NY buildings...maybe 10% of the apartments have balconies. In China all apartments come with balconies. Chinese buildings also don't come with any common space, no bike room, no tenant basement storage, no laundry room etc.

stephenthinkpad has issued a correction as of 02:53 on Apr 6, 2024

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/sighyam/status/1775503692071903556

"is speaking mandarin a skill now?"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

stephenthinkpad posted:

NY buildings...maybe 10% of the apartments have balconies. In China all apartments come with balconies. Chinese buildings also don't come with any common space, no bike room, no tenant basement storage, no laundry room etc.

In building laundry is incredible. China is missing out.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

In Training posted:

in unit laundry is the only acceptable way

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

In Training posted:

everyone has a laundry area at home in their own apartment

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

fart simpson posted:

:staredog:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I need to learn mandarin,

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cerebral Bore posted:

this article seems to be about the world's biggest economy though?

RandolphCarter posted:

this time next year:

china’s high tech revolution was too successful

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Are China's moon bases too successful?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

the roof of the building is usually a common area to hang clothes and sheets to dry too

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

They put grating around windows so people can't break in through the windows

They put grating around the air conditioning units so people can't steal the unit

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

gradenko_2000 posted:

They put grating around windows so people can't break in through the windows

They put grating around the air conditioning units so people can't steal the unit

its called vibrant democracy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

fart simpson posted:

i thought that was kind of standard around the world tbh. laundromats, cheerleaders and employer health insurance were just things i had filed away as "american poo poo"

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Common room laundry room is unsanitary because people put shoes in the laundry machine.

The building where we live don't allow apartment wash machines so I just wear hiking clothing and hand wash them.

Telluric Whistler
Sep 14, 2008

crepeface posted:

i thought that was kind of standard around the world tbh. laundromats, cheerleaders and employer health insurance were just things i had filed away as "american poo poo"

Laundromats tend to be more about the age and density of the construction around them. Though the "banks of washers and you sit around waiting for your laundry" is pretty American.

Most of the time in Asia when I've lived in a flat without a washer there'd be a laundry shop with next day pickup. Those are ubiquitous in HK because living in subdivides or tiny flats is pretty common. I've also seen "self service" laundromats like the American style pop up, but they're also super space efficient versions where there's hardly a space for a bench in front of the bank of machines.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
One of those things that varies a lot, as an Australian used to living rural or suburban sprawl I've never lived in a place without its own laundry room. We do have laundromats and such, but they tend to be used more for dry cleaning services, and also do minor repairs and alterations too.

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

Cerebral Bore posted:

all you have to remember that it's always projection and that liberals are fond of alleging that communist countries falsify their national statistics

COVID really drove this point home for me.

Everyone alleged that China was faking its numbers and hiding the true death toll. So I figured we'll wait and see how many stories break a year or two later when a journalist finds real numbers.

Turns out many of the western countries were faking numbers or just refusing to report them, and China was actually accurate and honest the whole time. That contrast just clarified for me how racist the whole perception difference is.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Telluric Whistler posted:

Laundromats tend to be more about the age and density of the construction around them. Though the "banks of washers and you sit around waiting for your laundry" is pretty American.

Most of the time in Asia when I've lived in a flat without a washer there'd be a laundry shop with next day pickup. Those are ubiquitous in HK because living in subdivides or tiny flats is pretty common. I've also seen "self service" laundromats like the American style pop up, but they're also super space efficient versions where there's hardly a space for a bench in front of the bank of machines.

the first time i remember seeing a self service style laundromat in china was a couple weeks ago, in a small city in yunnan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
In-unit washing machine is normal in Japan (sometimes the washer goes on the balcony). Somewhat rare in the city, but common in the countryside is the large coin laundry. They get slammed on rainy days and are a godsend for large blankets. Otherwise it is line drying on the balcony or inside.