Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Discovery has never fallen back on the Borg, I think it and Strange New Worlds are the only post TNG series that can claim that

I was going to say well how would SNW with being set in the past and all, but then I remembered enterprise managed it.

Edit: Strange New World: Season 11 Epsiode 3 (Borggians Island): After being stranded on a desert Island planet on a short holiday three hour space tour, the Enterprise bridge crew expects to have a relaxing few days on an alien Pacific beach awating rescue. Things turn bad after they find a strange creature not quite human, not quite machine. After a some comical mis-understandings with this mysterious creature they push it into a volcano.

Shortly after all the standard crew are hit on the head by space coconuts and competly forget the past few days.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Saw this pointed out. So, like... was this done with foreknowledge? It seems like it had to be but the animation cycle is like a year and a half.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

If I remember right, wasn't that episode about Boimler's story being reduced to a series of cliched scenes made up on the fly by the computer after he lost confidence in his own planned narrative?

If I was going to see it as a dig against anything though I'd be more likely to think it was poking fun at Nemesis and the random "Oh let's use our space dune buggy that has always been a thing you just never saw it and we never mentioned it before" scene in that. And I don't even think it's a poke at that!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

That chase and everything else that Tendi and Rutherford did were programmed by Boimler, it's all the stuff that he and Mariner did that was made up, like Nick Nack and the talking cave.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah the whole thing is a videogame plot.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Yep it's the one where he hears he's clone died and he's suddenly not intrested in the story he wrote and he just wanders off from the main story trying to find meaning in like anything. I don't think we ever really get to know much of the plot of the main story he orginally wrote but the jist is it's a genric thin story line with random nonsensical twists and action scenes that just sort of happen all over the place.

So yeah very much making fun of generic action films who's plot doesn't really make much sense if you think about it more than a secound.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Leoben Conoy out of nowhere! What a great addition to the cast this season.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Discovery has never fallen back on the Borg, I think it and Strange New Worlds are the only post TNG series that can claim that

I think Deep Space Nine counts, the Borg never show up other than seeing Sisko at Wolf 359 in Emissary. They never do the "ah poo poo we're out of ideas uh... Borg" that Voyager and Enterprise do.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I’m definitely not as Disco-critical as some here, but Disco S2 was basically the Borg with the serial numbers filed off, to the point where I was honestly worried they were going to make that the canonical start of the Borg until the finale.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

They're not going to be able to help themselves one day and make an episode about a control freak cybernetist with a taste for catsuits who desires something more than her her menial human life, I think Enterprise nearly did already?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
In Enterprise’s defense, they at least had the somewhat novel approach of having the Borg episode be a continuation of an unexplored thread from First Contact instead of just having the Borg show up unprompted and explaining their origin.

It is still unnecessary though.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Gonz posted:

Leoben Conoy out of nowhere! What a great addition to the cast this season.

Oh wow, I saw Elias Toufexis in the credits and assumed it was Rayner. He even does the Adam Jensen growl at points!

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In Enterprise’s defense, they at least had the somewhat novel approach of having the Borg episode be a continuation of an unexplored thread from First Contact instead of just having the Borg show up unprompted and explaining their origin.

It is still unnecessary though.

I think the Enterprise episode is pretty good for what it is. But they clearly did just think oh poo poo let's throw Borg in here and see if people will like it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Voyagers panic button into Borg and 7 I think is a fantastic concept. About as fantastic as the original concept of Voyager. However it is Voyager so it gets executed Voyagereur style.

Assimilating a Borg into the federation is the best idea of what to do with Borg after the initial kinda shallow "ooh scary collective" introductions in TNG (until a much better Borg idea happened in the worst Trek show, but it's retconned so does it even count?).

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Grand Fromage posted:

I think Deep Space Nine counts, the Borg never show up other than seeing Sisko at Wolf 359 in Emissary. They never do the "ah poo poo we're out of ideas uh... Borg" that Voyager and Enterprise do.

The Deep Space 9 movie "Worf's First Contact Adventure" was entirely about the Borg

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

So Disco's start to the season is good and fun

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
it feels like they found a nice balance between whoever the gently caress is forcing them to do "THE UNIVERSE IS ENDING, WE MUST STOP THE END OF THE UNIVERSE" plot and a fun adventure.The danger only happens when someone finds the technology, so we can just have a fun race against the other people until then. But now that I've said that, the next episode will probably be Moll and Lak finding it and then using it to destroy the universe and then it we'll be back to the same boring poo poo from all the other seasons.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah I mean technically it’s still a potentially civilization-ending superweapon but it’s played more like a relatively-light Indiana Jones macguffin chase.

It helps that the macguffin isn’t just purely a weapon, it’s also a source of potential knowledge that could be corrupted into a weapon by bad guys. It’s very much a Lost Ark/Holy Grail kind of object (or at least seems to be so far) instead of random singularities that eat planets like last season.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Khanstant posted:

Voyagers panic button into Borg and 7 I think is a fantastic concept. About as fantastic as the original concept of Voyager. However it is Voyager so it gets executed Voyagereur style.

Assimilating a Borg into the federation is the best idea of what to do with Borg after the initial kinda shallow "ooh scary collective" introductions in TNG (until a much better Borg idea happened in the worst Trek show, but it's retconned so does it even count?).

Its the best bit of Voyager because other than the Doctor, Seven is the only character that was invented with a clear development arc in mind for what any episode written around them can gravitate to.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Alchenar posted:

Its the best bit of Voyager because other than the Doctor, Seven is the only character that was invented with a clear development arc in mind for what any episode written around them can gravitate to.

IMO, every regular on Voyager had the potential for development - the “two crews” thing could have been a plot generation machine of conflict and growth. Had even better chances than TNG, where everyone was hyper-competent models of modern major-generals.

But Voyager’s story is one of squandered potential, so they actively avoided that at all costs. That left the Doctor, then Seven, with “Data aspiring to be human” stories as the only avenues for real development.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Blue Moonlight posted:

IMO, every regular on Voyager had the potential for development

Except Harry, of course.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Yes, the Voyager was a setting that desperately needed some story progression and had very interesting premise but no, "reset to status quo" it is. Like said many times before, Moore was right but BSG with its "oh but it gets worse" times infinity wasn't the right answer either. It just gets super boring and depressing and that ain't Star Trek.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

I never actually finished BSG because I really liked it but the HARD MEN MAKING HARD CHOICES poo poo got really grating

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Phy posted:

Still Anson Mount though?

Of course. I think he'd have a blast doing it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Yes, the Voyager was a setting that desperately needed some story progression and had very interesting premise but no, "reset to status quo" it is. Like said many times before, Moore was right but BSG with its "oh but it gets worse" times infinity wasn't the right answer either. It just gets super boring and depressing and that ain't Star Trek.

We don't need a year of hell, we just need a bit of hell every now and then.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neelix needs a year of hell

O fresh

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Bilirubin posted:

So Disco's start to the season is good and fun

Isn't that usually the pattern with DISCO? Start with promise, then waste it?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kesper North posted:

Watch episode 2, they actually went somewhere really interesting with it

Yup, Rayner is going to be a very interesting addition to the cast. I also super appreciate what they did with the music as his last scene with Burnham was ending. That busy, subtle-but-perky music is so very Star Trek. The musical choice alone gives me confidence that this is a good direction for the show.

Burnham and Book, well they don't have to be ending their romantic relationship. But maybe they are. But I do like Saru and T'rina because I like slow burn relationships.

More Dadmiral and David Cronenberg is always good. Keep 'em coming.

Discovery's last season being a McGuffin quest with ultimate implications... not a fan. These superpowered cosmic threats have gotten incredibly old and decrepit. They could solve this particular problem next week and then do a bunch of planetary crises of the week for the rest of the season and probably a lot of people would be happier than 13 episodes to find the final clue to some Progenitor bullshit.

Let's be clear here. The show that does crossovers and musical episodes is not the flagship show of the franchise. The show that can dig back to some truly memorable TNG episodes and make a new story out of 30+ year-old characters is the flagship show. Long live Lower Decks!

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Isn't that usually the pattern with DISCO? Start with promise, then waste it?

Yeah the first two episodes of any season of Disco are always fine-to-actually-good. Episode 3 is usually where they suddenly divert off the main plot and you realise they're going to tread water on that for the next 6 episodes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The next few eps are the important ones yeah. I will say this start feels better than previous seasons, it's less self serious even though yet a-loving-gain there's a threat to the entire galaxy. This one at least is more interesting, and if Moll and Jensen are the antagonists the whole season that is better. Having fun characters instead of faceless unknowable aliens or whatever has more potential to work.

Disco has incredible ability to gently caress it up, I hope they don't since this is fun to watch so far.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

holefoods posted:

I never actually finished BSG because I really liked it but the HARD MEN MAKING HARD CHOICES poo poo got really grating

When the entire point of a show is "...and they have a plan" but they don't and the writers are doing poo poo randomly I cannot get into it. That's ruined BSG forever for me.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Alchenar posted:

Yeah the first two episodes of any season of Disco are always fine-to-actually-good. Episode 3 is usually where they suddenly divert off the main plot and you realise they're going to tread water on that for the next 6 episodes.

I'm somewhat more optimistic this time because they've set a very by-the-numbers plan for how the rest of the season is going to go: they've used the first two episodes to set up the chase, the next five episodes will be fairly self-contained adventures for each of the remaining five parts to put together the map, then probably two episodes for the conclusion to the arc and episode 10 is the series sendoff

It's formulaic but at least it's a formula better than two episodes of intro, eight episodes of wheel spinning and then rushing to the climax to try to beat the buzzer

The Chairman fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Apr 6, 2024

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

im sure this is has been discussed exhaustively already, but ive veen watching through Disco with my Fiancee who insists on watching every single Star Trek series and jfc

S01 was a deeply unpleasant slog, just completely joyless and needlessly edgy. S02 showed some signs of improving but they still need to drag out every single plot across multiple episodes. Almost none of the plots even have q clear beginning middle and end, and so much of it just feels like a series of rear end pulls with no consistent themes whatsoever.

and visually it'd nauseating with the constant shakey cam, dutch angles, and relentless flashing lights and movement.

i just dont get how anyone can watch these seasons and feel anything other than exhaustion. my fiancee's biggest complaint is just that it feels nothing like Star Trek to her at all and I have to agree.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 6, 2024

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I liked season one of discovery better than two tbh. Season two felt very video game fetch questy and the need for everything to be FASTFASTGOGOGO at all times was exhausting. It was all very loving stupid. Season one wasn’t good by any means but it felt like it had enough story to fit the time allotted without feeling rushed.

Also it had a guy w two dicks which was funny and stupid.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Neelix needs a year of hell

O fresh

What, fresh hell?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bismack Billabongo posted:

I liked season one of discovery better than two tbh. Season two felt very video game fetch questy and the need for everything to be FASTFASTGOGOGO at all times was exhausting. It was all very loving stupid. Season one wasn’t good by any means but it felt like it had enough story to fit the time allotted without feeling rushed.

Also it had a guy w two dicks which was funny and stupid.

S02 feels rushed and at the same time, needlessly drawn out

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

I was absolutely dumbfounded by the season two finale, like my brain just shut down from the absolute bombardment of stupid, nonsensical horseshit delivered through an endless barrage of kaleidoscopic vomit.

That may be why I really enjoyed everything afterwards, in comparison S3 - 5 have been a clear improvement.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

At no point has Discovery done anything smarter than the pre-credit sequence of S1E1 where the Comms are down and Georgiou solved the problem by marching out a big Starfleet symbol in the sand. That was it. The show peaked there.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If you go back and watch now the first 20 minutes or so of Discovery hurts because of how much better Trek it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Remember how in Michael tried a mutiny and it instantly failed and she had to watch a battle from the brig because the universe didn't revolve around her?