Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I think the Hyperion could just fly under or over that debris field tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

This is the best-written mission in the whole campaign.

I mean it's not amazing or anything but the dialogue is all fun to read and everyone's motivations make sense.
Fun change of pace too.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

painedforever posted:

This mission seems like it's so much fun. Is it fun?

I think that's been my reaction to all of Heart of the Swarm. The gameplay seems fun.
Yes. Pretty much all the missions in Starcraft 2 are quite fun to play through once; I'm not sure I can think of a single mission that I flat out disliked my first time playing through. Most of them even hold up pretty well on a second play-through, especially if you choose some different options with the modifiable stuff like Wings Research or Heart Evolutions.

It's a shame the story doesn't hold up its' end of the bargain.

GunnerJ posted:

I think the Hyperion could just fly under or over that debris field tbh
Why maneuver in the vertical dimension when you can teleport?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I don't like Miras hijinks but I think it's because I just really dislike Matt

A lotta other people do though so ymmv

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

How could you not like someone as exciting and impressionable as a woolly sweater?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Gun Jam posted:

Yeah. So we could have a fun fight with friends without the horrors of people actually dying (like so!)
Don't ask what this fully automated war machine says about terran tech, this would require taking this mission seriously.

Just assume it's actually super-expensive to do it this way and doesn't scale up well to the levels a state military actually needs. Mira's just weird and actually likes assembling her Spacehammer 50k army to smash apart even if it means she spends months busting asteroids for minerals in between. (Busting heads would be more fun, but she needs the army ready for that.)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

BisbyWorl posted:

But the Hyperion has the new ability to fire while moving.

explain

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Mission is fun but Mira&Matt relationship is one of these double standard cases where it is played for fun, but would be extremely creepy if roles were reversed.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

"What if Diamondback but Battlecruiser?"

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Like Phoenixes or Diamondbacks, they gave Battlecruisers the ability to use their regular attack while moving. Fire on the move isn't worth much in campaign, but in multiplayer, oh boy. Terrans in multiplayer have the hilarious option to fast tech to Battlecruisers and then teleport them directly into your base, killing as much of your poo poo as they can while very slowly leaving. Then they just repair them and do it over and over until their opponent has finally massed enough anti air to shoot them down.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think Hots is fun unless you played Zerg extensively in Wings.

Then you play it and it is the most relentlessly boring campaign because like, basic loving zerg macro annihilates it and any need for thought completely.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

the biggest problem with HOTS is that it's very much a make-your-own-fun situation: you're given a bunch of insanely powerful tools so you can play the game however you want.

the problem is that, in doing so, the game becomes braindead easy. all of the stuff that makes the zerg into what they are is stripped out in favor of an easier, more accessible campaign.

of course you could solve this problem by having a better power slider that gives/takes power to/from kerrigan and your army, allowing for a choice between a "hero mode" that focuses on kerrigan and a "zerg mode" that focuses on the swarm. kerrigan's ability loadout kinda does this, but not in any way that really matters since there are almost always clear winners at every tier regardless of how you're playing the campaign.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
If nothing else, more and more Campaign mods coming out these days remove Kerrigan as a controllable hero and turn all of her active abilities into more passives to benefit your army.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Intermission 14

Even though we're on the cusp of finally saving Kerrigan's TWUE WUV, she still has time to put one last world to the torch.

Now, we only see one planet get Swarmed here, but 'across the sector' implies that many other worlds are getting devoured.

Either way, Kerrigan sacrficed at least three worlds to the Swarm while hazing the newbies.

>Talk to Stukov.

Not the sort of spacecraft I am used to, but it is good to be aloft once more.

Growing up, I always wished to travel between the stars. The strange things I've seen.

If you wish to save James Raynor, I will not speak against it.

>Talk to Izsha.

They are asking if we may destroy the terrans now that they are no longer useful.

Tell them the terrans are not to be harmed. It is my will.

I will tell them, my queen.

>Talk to Dehaka.

Essence count: 89

I follow for essence.

Essence count: 90

You must learn obedience, primal!

Yes, come to me. I will collect your essence now.

Essence count: 91

This is the closest Heart gets to having any form of conflict within the party, and Kerrigan deals with it by treating them like arguing children.

>Talk to Abathur.

So our thoughts are too different for anything beyond simple transmissions.

Accurate. Zerg processes complex. Incompatible with terran machinery.

Then it's up to Valerian now.

>Talk to Hyperion.

Tell him he's got one hour.

Considering the last time Valerian had to deal with Kerrigan ended with him getting strangled, he's certainly toughened up.

You're already in over your head. Don't make it worse.

And Kerrigan immediately jumps to threats, as usual.

If the Dominion sense our intrusion, they'll move Jim, or kill him.

Kerrigan just stares at him for a few seconds.

Zerg are not the only ones who adapt.

Very well, I will wait for your expert to do his work.

Kerrigan's levels from Phantoms of the Void. I also swapped Twin Drones for Malignant Creep again.

This is actually the end of the Space missions, so after this it's straight to Korhal!

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
I can only imagine the posting on Koprulu sector CSPAM and D&D during the Zerg invasions that Kerrigan orders.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead
I spent a bit of free time the other day playing a Heart mod called "Leviathan Crew". Rejiggers the HotS campaign so you don't control Kerrigan at all, and all of her abilities are now army passives. Your ability to build an army is limited by biomass - basically, you need to eat critters and complete optional objectives instead of just building a massive 200-supply swarm every mission.
Biomass carries over between missions, so there's some resource management. In exchange, all of the zerg units have individual upgrades that work like squad upgrades in 40K Dawn of War. Zerglings can all get a little armor boost and attack speed boost with a mineral investment, for example. Also there's an early passive that drops zergling mass needs to 0 so it's harder to get into a no-win scenario.

It is absolutely amazing just how much more interesting the campaign gets when you don't have your OP queen bitch. Feels like a proper zerg campaign now. The limited biomass thing seems like it would kill the flavor of the Zerg, but it really doesn't, it's just one more macro-level bit of resources to manage. Zerg play is already very macro-level.

Also the first level of Zerus where you need to gather meat may be the worst frigging mission in SC2. What railroady level designer thought "if you try to speed things up by going for more than one objective at once we'll spawn infinite super-guardians at you forever" was at all good design? Zeratul 4 in Wings is just kind of dull on repeat playthroughs but Welcome to the Jungle Zerg Edition is actively infuriating.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

rescuing jim raynor is one level short of being equal to the supposedly massive power boost that was being transformed into the Primal Queen Of Blades

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

Kith posted:

rescuing jim raynor is one level short of being equal to the supposedly massive power boost that was being transformed into the Primal Queen Of Blades
TWUE WUV: less rewarding than bathing in random zerg goop.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
You know, if I was trying to rescue my true love and wasn't sure where the enemy was holding him, I wouldn't be quite so cavalier about wiping out entire Terran worlds.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Angry Salami posted:

You know, if I was trying to rescue my true love and wasn't sure where the enemy was holding him, I wouldn't be quite so cavalier about wiping out entire Terran worlds.

Hey, Mengsk just said to stay away from Korhal. The rest of the Dominion is fair game.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

What if Mengsk imprisoned him on Korhal so it'd be easy to defend the cell, and convenient access for gloating?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
he could just release a grainy video of the zerg overrunning a random planet and say "oh oops Jim was on there, looks like Kerrigan killed him"

she believed him the last time, no reason it couldn't work again

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

habeasdorkus posted:

I can only imagine the posting on Koprulu sector CSPAM and D&D during the Zerg invasions that Kerrigan orders.

Monshk

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
I wanna know how in the last five years or so anyone in the Dominion is left /alive/.

Like, shouldn't the Terran population be near extinction levels even with hundreds of planets given we're seeing tens of billions of people dying?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

habeasdorkus posted:

Imagine if Abathur was wrong and Zerg really can post on the internet, then it would be even better.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

wedgekree posted:

I wanna know how in the last five years or so anyone in the Dominion is left /alive/.

Like, shouldn't the Terran population be near extinction levels even with hundreds of planets given we're seeing tens of billions of people dying?
Yeah, seriously. How big were those colony ships?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

making a baby only takes like, 15 minerals and 6 seconds

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

he could just release a grainy video of the zerg overrunning a random planet and say "oh oops Jim was on there, looks like Kerrigan killed him"

she believed him the last time, no reason it couldn't work again

And then she just rushes Korhal because she's got nothing left to lose.

The whole hostage plot just feels half-baked at this scale. Where's Mengsk calling up to alter the deal in response to Kerrigan burning border worlds? As was pointed out early, plot only happens when we're looking at it. No one reacts to events in the background.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Imagine something like this, but with Mengsk and a random Zergling attacking him in the background.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2eaG7MVaqD8&pp=ygUbdHJldm9yIGF0dGFja2VkIGluIGN1dHNjZW5l

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

im sorry every one. the throne of heroes ran out of new heroic spirits so the grail had to summon existing ones in swimsuits instead

Warmachine posted:

As was pointed out early, plot only happens when we're looking at it. No one reacts to events in the background.

Doing stuff is, like. Hard. I'm sure Jim's fine wherever he is.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021

habeasdorkus posted:

"I get it, Mengsk is evil, but was it necessary to wipe out three planets? [USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST] (posting in bad intention, strawmanning)"

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Szarrukin posted:

"I get it, Mengsk is evil, but was it necessary to wipe out three planets? [USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST] (posting in bad intention, strawmanning)"

I take it Koos is Xelnaga in this analogy?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006
president kerrigan deploy the nydus worms we are ready

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Is our beloved Emperor's disgraced son secretly working for the Queen of Blades? The answer may surprise you!

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Warmachine posted:

And then she just rushes Korhal because she's got nothing left to lose.

The whole hostage plot just feels half-baked at this scale. Where's Mengsk calling up to alter the deal in response to Kerrigan burning border worlds? As was pointed out early, plot only happens when we're looking at it. No one reacts to events in the background.

Listen the deaths of millions BILLIONS doesn't matter, because we don't know them. But the chance a main character could lose her twue wove? Unacceptable.

Besides, Blizzard murders populations like that every single time as a matter of establishing stakes.Gotta build your heel for the PPV.

Although I guess kerrigan is currently more of a tweener slowly working to a face turn.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Civilian populations never matter in Blizzard games. Not just in moral terms either, it doesn't matter how much of a population is slaughtered, there's always enough more of them to field a massive army hiding off to the side.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Civilian populations never matter in Blizzard games. Not just in moral terms either, it doesn't matter how much of a population is slaughtered, there's always enough more of them to field a massive army hiding off to the side.

I love how if you take a ton of casualties as Raynor in co-op he'll comment about losing a lot of good people.

Don't worry bud, they were marines. I'll be back to pop cap in one minute.

bladededge
Sep 17, 2017

How we got from 500 mil or so humans in the koprulu sector to "so many billions die and it's just fun background flavor", I don't know. Also how Kerrigan travelled across the galaxy to Zerus and back before anybody did anything of importance or noticed she was gone.

Fun thought experiment. What sci-fi universes actually do have a believable sense of scale? The Forever War and Gunbuster. Maybe Revelation Space. Arguably Dune, though in Dune's case because of the way space travel works the planets are basically neighbors and physics don't matter, so not sure it counts.

It's actually really rare in fiction! Starcraft isn't even in the toplist of worst offenders! Captain Harlock might be at the top of that list.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

bladededge posted:

Fun thought experiment. What sci-fi universes actually do have a believable sense of scale? ... Maybe Revelation Space.

In the Revelation Space stories, the scale is often one of the core elements, the time spans involved in travel and interstellar-scale civilizations, so I think that's more than a maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

bladededge posted:

How we got from 500 mil or so humans in the koprulu sector to "so many billions die and it's just fun background flavor", I don't know.

the UED forces from brood war deserted and joined the locals!

please do not consider the scale of this