Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This is the first anomaly preview that made me actually excited. This stuff sounds cool. Apart from the 'randomly teleport someone into the middle of our circle' but I can still see them summoning my 20 melee god warrior and immediately being blundered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
It sounds like there's a spool up and I imagine mechanically once you gently caress up one or two of them the ritual fails.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

George Sex - REAL posted:

Anomaly, so far, seems to be a lot more in the vein of royalty over ideology and biotech. Fleshing out events/abilities, rather than reworking a core tenant of the game.

Gameplay loops rarely get changed and I don't forsee Tynan ever doing something different with the game than build up base -> get raided

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Telsa Cola posted:

It sounds like there's a spool up and I imagine mechanically once you gently caress up one or two of them the ritual fails.
This is my take. It's basically a siege variant with kidnapping rather than mortars which sounds cool. My planned caveman to spacer tech tribals might turn into cultists.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
or ~Space Cultists~ :hmmyes:

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Flesh Forge posted:

or ~Space Cultists~ :hmmyes:

A post/username combo 13 years in the making.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

George Sex - REAL posted:

Conflicted on what has been teased of this latest expansion.

Ideology changed the way we saw society within the rim. It affected culturally how one group related to another, how the group related to themself. It gave colonies and factions a lot more identity. It was/is very interesting.

Biotech changed the way we thought about pawns and gave us an alternative to traditional pawns in the form of mechs. In a game that is based around the lives of pawns, that is hugely impactful. It was/is very interesting.

Royalty on the other hand fleshes out the background of the world a little bit through the empire. Adds some abilities in the form of psycasts. It also added some variety in the events system. It is/was kind-of interesting.

Anomaly, so far, seems to be a lot more in the vein of royalty over ideology and biotech. Fleshing out events/abilities, rather than reworking a core tenant of the game.

I'm actually looking at this as being closer to Ideology than anything else - all these rituals are cool and all, giving you more toys to gently caress up a raid or whatnot... but it's all stuff that you have to build your colony around. The cult stuff looks like a Very High impact meme that needs its own infrastructure. Monster science lab is a Very High impact variant of Rancher. You can ease into most other stuff with just one pawn on a throne or the anima tree, or one pawn pruning guaranlens, or one pawn with lifters, etc., but the Anomaly stuff looks fairly siloed from 'classic' play. We'll have to see how it actually plays out instead of just relying on the preview teasers, of course.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

monster science lab has kind of a biotech feel to it tbh

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Feasts give me PTSD of living with people who party way too late. I don't know why pawns choose to absolutely gently caress themselves on sleep feasting for 24 hours straight.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Doltos posted:

Feasts give me PTSD of living with people who party way too late. I don't know why pawns choose to absolutely gently caress themselves on sleep feasting for 24 hours straight.

The only feast in vanilla is the cannibal feast which is timed like every other ritual as far as I know. I'm guessing you're seeing something from Vanilla Expanded or something.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Can you use skip abduction on your own pawns? That would be a cool way to get a caravan back home, as they wouldn't need a farskip capable pawn with them.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

guess we'll find out in a week, but i doubt it. consensus so far is that it looks like an on-map siege-style thing

isndl
May 2, 2012
Countering a siege by abducting their mortar crew one by one sounds funny as hell though!

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I see tentacle arms in those screenshots, just like the cult mod. I don't think that's been called out in the previews yet. Hopefully they are +manipulation upgrades.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Also acts as a Love Enhancer

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

I think it'll probably be a couple months before I go for the DLC and the 1.5 patch. Not because I don't want to get them, but because a lot of mods I don't think I can play without don't seem to be updating any time soon.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I think it'll probably be a couple months before I go for the DLC and the 1.5 patch. Not because I don't want to get them, but because a lot of mods I don't think I can play without don't seem to be updating any time soon.

I encourage people to play the game without mods if you’re used to 300+ mod lists. My mod list ballooned to 700+ over time and it was very refreshing to go back to vanilla and start building up the list again with just the things I really missed and go from there.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Gadzuko posted:

I see tentacle arms in those screenshots, just like the cult mod. I don't think that's been called out in the previews yet. Hopefully they are +manipulation upgrades.

I am fairly sure Tynan actually hired Jecrell (author of the original Cults mod and many related), and Jecrell oversaw/created a lot of this DLC. Just basing this on the radio silence of Jecrell since November of 2022 aside from one very small mod a few months later. Last profile updates on Patreon and the Ludeon forums are "maybe someday I'll work for Ludeon"
https://www.patreon.com/jecrell

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

if it were not for 1.5 forcing a mod reset I probably would not have touched Big and Small/Alpha Genes, the combination of which has led to something magical :allears:

Combined with a self-imposed limit of never taking joiners as full members from outside, just using them as hosts to make extremely adorable babies, converting some prisoners to pheromone addled haulers and cleaners and such (tiny people are not good at carrying things)

yes I am aware all the prettiness stuff is way over the cap, it's just there to make it more expensive

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

lunar detritus posted:

I encourage people to play the game without mods if you’re used to 300+ mod lists. My mod list ballooned to 700+ over time and it was very refreshing to go back to vanilla and start building up the list again with just the things I really missed and go from there.

Oh it's less the gameplay addition mods and more the graphical and QOL ones. Stuff like Run and Gun and Search and Destroy, or like I've got so used to running with faces from Vanilla Facial Textures Expanded that I can't go back to the old non modded pawns.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

well yeah Search and Destroy is pretty great, I miss it a bunch

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I'll probably also wait a bit for mods to get updated, though I tend to nuke and rebuild my mod list every time there's a major update anyway.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Eiba posted:

Unless you were doing a themed run with strict rules against ranged weapons, it would still be worthwhile to give some of your neanderthals a sniper rifle or two, or some bolt action rifles with the goal not of doing significant damage, but just annoying the attackers enough from range to come at you. Every hit is a 10% chance to get them to abandon their mortars and assault. It probably would have taken a while, and if the attackers had long range guns of their own it would have been really fiddly to try and stay safe, but that would still be a viable way to force an engagement.

I'm a bit late but not only is this good to know, the mental image of a handful of cavemen trying to figure out how bolt action firearm work and firing all over the place until the raiders get too annoyed to tolerate it any longer is pretty funny.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I wish it actually worked that way mechanically (your guys suck with firearms unless you have some tech threshold)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

Pawns have to stop and bang their bolt-actions on the ground every once in awhile to get them to cycle, unclear whether this is because we’re Neanderthals or if the game is accurately simulating Mosin-Nagants.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

With the new DLC and 1.5 coming out soon, how long do people expect it to take for mods to be updated? I'm excited to start a new run but I'm going to wait for the new stuff, I'll also probably cull my mod list a little bit but I really want some chromed out dinosaurs for my cave people to ride so some mods are pretty key to the run I'm planning.

Speaking of dinosaurs, does anybody have much experience with the prehistoric biome mod? I'm considering being Dino ranchers for at least some of it, are there dinosaurs that fit the bill for that?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

same as with biotech, i'd imagine - couple weeks, not really all that long.

big mods (e.g. VE) have had time to refactor their stuff before release; other mods may just need a number incrementing somewhere.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

same as with biotech, i'd imagine - couple weeks, not really all that long.

big mods (e.g. VE) have had time to refactor their stuff before release; other mods may just need a number incrementing somewhere.
I figured that would be the case, with the other DLCs I had just finished a run so was happy to play something else whilst I wait. This time the DLC has rolled around just as I got the itch.

This gives me time to decide whether I want to go into a boreal forest or arib shrubland. Shrubland seems more fitting for a Dino rancher caveman colony. Maybe I'm just saying that because the last time I did a boreal forest start I gave up on it since I found the marshes and winter slow down irritating though.

Do people have a favourite/least favourite biome? I kind of hate the jungle because disease isn't fun to manage.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Redundant posted:

With the new DLC and 1.5 coming out soon, how long do people expect it to take for mods to be updated? I'm excited to start a new run but I'm going to wait for the new stuff, I'll also probably cull my mod list a little bit but I really want some chromed out dinosaurs for my cave people to ride so some mods are pretty key to the run I'm planning.

Patch 1.5 is already available as a beta release on Steam (labeled as Unstable). Mods are already being updated to work with that version and you can filter for 1.5 compatibility on the Workshop. How long it will take for individual mods to update is up to the author and the scope of the mod - I expect something like HAR and its downstream mods to take longer because the patch substantially changes the pawn rendering system, for example.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Prehistoric biomes is fun, the dinosaurs are well made. My only complaint is one farmable plant they added is a multi harvest with a relatively short lifespan, so I get lots of, “plant died while not being harvested” alert spam which is annoying. I like the plant though, and the output has individual units be 0.15 nutrition so I love it for the inventory compression.

Favorite biomes are jungle and arid. Desert and things colder/sparser than boreal forest I don’t like.

isndl
May 2, 2012

HelloSailorSign posted:

I like the plant though, and the output has individual units be 0.15 nutrition so I love it for the inventory compression.

That's honestly a weird number for nutrition - with the exceptions of nutrient paste, packaged survival meals, and vegetarian fine meals, you're going to be wasting nutrition because everything else will be rounding up on a fractional number.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

I like a Boreal Forest unless I’m planning to do some serious ranching (if you start Undergrounder, or reform into it for your first pick, you can support a modest pack-animal herd over winter once you dig out a silly amount of cave space). Worst comes to worst for the cold winters, there’s a fuckton of wood on the map to just burn. The sprinklers from Dub’s find their actual use here: if you put them out on a long-grow tile you’re going to be swimming in a game-warping amount of corn and drugs.

I’ve got a mod which makes tree sprites get snowy in the right weather, makes the whole biome feel very charming (even when predators are down to trying to hunt pawns on lumberjack duty).

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.
I've come to like the animal variety on boreal maps. Between horses, alpaca, bears, and megasloths you've got top-tier tamable animals foe any purpose you could want, and unlike tropical rainforest the rest are generally pretty safe to hunt.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

They get warm enough for most temperate animals to show up, and frosty enough that cold-weather guys you usually don’t see down in the grasslands and swamps also make appearances, yeah.

I’ve actually never gone colder than a 20-day average growing season, you need an immense amount of plant labor to grow your corn, textiles, and drugs for the entire year all in once go. Hay, too, if you’re keeping a pack herd. Kind of thinking I might set my first post-1.5 embark to have a pirate faction with an Undergrounder ideo, so I can reform a clutch of assholes to grow me mushrooms in a boreal forest mountain for animal feed (and theirs probably too).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I avoid 20/60 because Randy likes to give me a cold snap with solar flare right behind it while giggling

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I like colder maps, it's a challenge but also it has some upsides like you only need heaters and you can use the exhaust heat from your freezer to warm up your base. Polar bears are excellent pets too, and I like raising muffalo

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Boreal is hands-down my favorite, particularly with the mod that removes the bogs from them. That said, those bogs are useful, you can construct some fun defenses around them that make raiders Very Sad.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cold Bog is another really neat biome if you're into maps with a real winter, giant amounts of renewable wood.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Swamp biomes are neat and offer unique challenge, but they basically disable world map travel, which is usually a bit too much of a downside for me (same with Jungle). Every once in the while I find a nice spot right at the edge of the swamp, but usually I don't bother and go for Boreal Forest or Tundra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
It was ultimately another mountain base in the end, but I was rather fond of my Ice Sheet run early in Biotech's life. The summer warmth was almost, but not quite, above freezing, while the coldest depths of winter regularly hit -80F. A few raiders tried to assault the place, but I don't remember any even making it to my fortifications.

However, with temperatures so cold, there's basically no outside trading. Caravans will exit the map because of dangerous temperatures before they reach your gates, and you'd need an SRTS to do any proactive trading for the same reason.