Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Of watch some videos to see if it's in your wheelhouse. Its a single line operation so a lot of time is spent playing shunting puzzles to get the freight in order and then drop it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

I only played it for a little over an hour, but in that time I did not care for it. The UI was designed by people who seemingly set out to implement as many UX worst practices as they possibly could (though if you're in this thread that probably shouldn't be a problem for you), and the actual train driving is by far the weakest of any comparable game I've played.

The switching puzzle and industry management looks compelling based on videos I've seen, but I didn't get very deep into that before refunding. Which I had to do because it does the thing a lot of low-budget Unity games do where it accepts any and all controller input without making any controller settings available to turn off or rebind that input to something besides "scroll menus at random as fast as possible." I'm not unplugging my flight/racing sim gear just to play a mediocre game so into the bin it went.

Theris fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Mar 31, 2024

LeFishy
Jul 21, 2010

tater_salad posted:

Of watch some videos to see if it's in your wheelhouse. Its a single line operation so a lot of time is spent playing shunting puzzles to get the freight in order and then drop it off.

I’m trying to design a game where you have a yard. Break up manifests into locals etc so it definitely sounds up my alley… None of the videos I have seen seem to really go beyond the initial couple of hours so it’s hard to tell but i can dig a bit deeper I guess.

The control issues sound annoying especially as I’ll be on deck. I have seen a couple videos of it playing on deck though so it might be ok.

I’ll probably hold off for now I just really want to do some slightly crunchy logistical stuff and nothing really seems to hit that. Maybe it’s time to dive back into rail route…

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

LeFishy posted:

I’m trying to design a game where you have a yard. Break up manifests into locals etc so it definitely sounds up my alley… None of the videos I have seen seem to really go beyond the initial couple of hours so it’s hard to tell but i can dig a bit deeper I guess.

It's the same thing, just for longer tracks. You don't ever really get a full yard. Just a handful of sidings.
I'll just keep waiting for derail valley to get a ln economy which would be cool.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

tater_salad posted:

I'll just keep waiting for derail valley to get a ln economy which would be cool.

Might be waiting a while; It's planned for their "Foundation 4" update, which they currently have scheduled for "2025+."

At least if their previous major updates are any indication, it'll be worth the wait.

Edit: their whole roadmap is here.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Yeah am aware... Maybe world of steam will come before dv update.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

StarkRavingMad posted:

I know the game pretty well at this point, but I still install a mod to show me whether the wrench I'm using is too big or too small, and something that lets me bring up a minimap if I need it. And I still look up a guide for the drat electrical wiring.

Tbf no mechanic or electrician is going to know a wiring diagram by memory and would consult one first

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Anyone played Simutrans? Thoughts?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

It's free just friggin play it.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Elendil004 posted:

Anyone played Simutrans? Thoughts?

Simutrans is an alternate reality OpenTTD. While TT was designed by a Brit, Simutrans was made by a German dude. I’m sure there’s a coherent argument to be made how that influences things, but I’m down with a flu and a toddler.

One thing I always enjoyed more in Simutrans is the feeling of scale - cities and inter-city distances feel more realistic. A truly massive mountain can be a challenge. There’s also more freeform building of station, airports and ports which I always enjoy. The canal building and ship transport goes into some fantastic detail. Trams and intra-city busses are also much more fun than in TTD.

In theory, maps can have infinite sized bottlenecked only by your processing power, though last time I checked a few years ago a 4096x4096 USA map almost murdered my computer. You can also expand you map with a new section - towns and all - during play, which is a fantastic feature.

The Experimental branch is it’s own type of insanity, run by a single dude for the past decade or two, though I haven’t checked lately if he’s still going. It has some great details implemented and a timeline going to something like the XVIII century.

Simutran’s interface is absolute eurojank, but you learn to live with it. There’s a notable Japanese community that makes fantastic stuff and maps in their own .pak.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

tater_salad posted:

Sometimes it's nice to now whether it's worth investing time in something when you could have spent that time driving a train up and down the valley.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

tater_salad posted:

How was it, Tater?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

How was it, Tater?

I didn't really find it interesting in the little bit I played it.

25 fps on a system yay runs most sim racing titles at full/ ultra 1440p 144fps

There's no icons for industry so hope you like clicking on buildings

The interface is like if you told someone make open ttd but worse and more cumbersome.

Not my bag but I'm sure some people enjoy it.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I had pretty much the same experience with Simutrans. It's appealing, because it has a bunch of really cool features that are either absent from openTTD or supported only with really gross hacks, like subways, trams, and elevated LRT/monorails, and some of the paksets are prettier than anything you can find in openttd's newgrfs, but I found the UI so awkward that I put it down after a few hours and have never gone back to it. Also, the documentation is absolute garbage compared to openTTD, and the lack of an in-game pakset manager is unfortunate.

I'll probably try it again sometime.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I got Tunnet finally and I'm having agood time. Apparently I got into it right at the correct time because an update went out recently that added a way of dealing with hackers and also colored cables, which I am still trying to find.

Bishop Beo
Jul 3, 2009
There's a big ol' farming sale on Steam right now and I'm thinking about trying out Farming Simulator 2022. I played 2019 a good while ago and enjoyed it for a bit, but is 2022 another one where you need a bunch of QoL mods immediately? Also are any of the expansions/DLCs worth picking up right away?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Bishop Beo posted:

There's a big ol' farming sale on Steam right now and I'm thinking about trying out Farming Simulator 2022. I played 2019 a good while ago and enjoyed it for a bit, but is 2022 another one where you need a bunch of QoL mods immediately? Also are any of the expansions/DLCs worth picking up right away?

All the farming sim games need QOL mods immediately.

Courseplay, guidance steering, the logging mod that gives you super-strength at the touch of a button, a map you jive with

I’ve got 400 hours in without any DLC so I guess it’s good. The built-in seasons are ok, but not as in-depth as the 2019 Mod version. The new crops are very meh. The purchasable industries are actually interesting new mechanics, and the fieldstone is an interesting mechanic that I always end turning off.

I have fewer hours than the previous 2 so maybe not that good.

I would buy if on sale.

It’s on Gamepass the last time I looked and was the EPIC free game long ago, so if you grab those check your account.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Does Arcade Paradise fit into this thread? I'm loving running this laundromat-front-for-my-arcade. Getting upgrades help so much.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Man, Construction Simulator is extremely my poo poo, but I am having trouble getting it to run consistently smooth on Steam Deck and it's loving with me. It will run smoothly at 45fps as long as I don't move around too much, but it seems to do a LOT of loading and unloading of assets as you move around.

I want to operate backhoes in peace! :mad:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Correction to my post a few posts up.

Farming Simulator is currently the Free Epic game until May 30 (next Thursday)

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Jonny Nox posted:

Correction to my post a few posts up.

Farming Simulator is currently the Free Epic game until May 30 (next Thursday)

lol yeah I was gonna say, it's the free game now

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1cyuva8/epic_games_farming_simulator_22_100_off_free/

Someone posted a big ol mod guide and said the DLC isn't that necessary.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
This is what I posted in the free games thread (referencing another thread again.) In summation of my summation, if you like sims, get it. You really don't need DLCs. And I have pretty much all of them bar the latest and rarely use them over the mods I have installed. The link to the my big effortpost is where I put my "love letter" to farm sim.

I wrote a big effort post for the "Best Games Ever: EffortPost Your Favorites" thread.

Mrenda posted:

Farming Simulator 22 (Or 19, or whatever, who cares? 22 is the newest for PC/Console, get that one.)

Farming Simulator is a game that has transcended stereotypes a few times. A series of games from Swiss-German developers Giants Software, Farming Simulator is basically exactly what it says it is, it simulates (some) aspects of farming...

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3955050&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=22#post530236509

If you like sim games, have any interest in Farm Sim at all, or any kids who might be interested just get it (if you can stand Epic.)

It has a lot of DLCs. I know people get annoyed by that, and the people that say, "You don't need them. Only get them if you want." You don't need them, really. There are so many mods available for free via an in-game download system, or if you prefer to download them normally via a browser then putting them in folders, that you do not need any DLC. And don't get obsessed thinking, "I have to get mods." You don't, apart from messing around with user made maps after anywhere from about 20 to 100 hours of play (a lot of the user made maps are amazingly good. You will not have the time to play all the ones you want to.) With mods you'll probably become familiar with the game after a certain amount of hours and think, "A different piece of machinery that could do X+Y would be great!" There's a different piece of machinery on the modhub that almost certainly does what you want. Go look for it. If your kid is playing you only have to the "government subsidy" mod which gives you the option of get tens of thousands of dollars a day or hundreds of thousands by putting a small sign on your farm. It's basically infinite money.

Download the mods here https://www.farming-simulator.com/mods.php?lang=en&country=us and put them in the mod folder, then re-load your save. Or get them via the in-game menu at the start screen.

There's no "trick" to FS22 appearing on Epic. They're almost certainly releasing a new Farm Sim at some point before Christmas. If this gets its hooks in you you'll want to buy the new game. And the current game isn't "Dated." Giants are a good developer.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I tried to play farming sim at one point and it seemed to have a similar tutorial to nucleares, which is to say it had some modals saying "this is the map" and that's it. Is that still the case here and if so how do you learn the game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Farm Sim has had an online manual since I started playing which was FS 19. It's not perfect but bounds above Nucleares.

Also unlike Nucleares if you're familiar at all with how German sims work you can play it entirely like a dumbass bumblebee bouncing into prompts and menu options and pick it up without hitting a failure state.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

30.5 Days posted:

I tried to play farming sim at one point and it seemed to have a similar tutorial to nucleares, which is to say it had some modals saying "this is the map" and that's it. Is that still the case here and if so how do you learn the game.

It is both a complex game, and a simple game. To achieve "best" crop yields (without the fancy Precision Farming DLC (a free DLC)) there is a kind of flow to how you do things, and the order you do them in. It isn't really presented in game. In my experience the main way people used to learn was from talking to a friend who plays it and sometimes playing multiplayer with them, or watching youtube videos. Either let's plays, especially ones released around the time the game was first released, or tutorials and guides made specifically. The youtube content creation "industry" is really good for Farm Sim, twitch less so. Just search youtube and look around for a youtuber you like who tells you what you want to know, or a beginner's guide video, or a specific tutorial. Since the game was launched Giants have been working on their written guides, if you prefer reading. I do when I don't know how to do something. They are quite good at this point. The good thing about Farm Sim is that once you get the general flow of things down, everything else of a similar game aspect follows a similar flow. So you immediately know what to do once you read or hear the "key" step. The written guides are here.

The reason I say you don't "need" mods to play the game is because the sheer volume of them makes them intimidating. And it's quite similar with how you actually play the game. There is a lot, but you don't need to know everything immediately. You learn things and find things out when you need to/want to. You don't "need" mods to play because you will quickly discover what you think is a pain in the rear end. Then you search for a mod for it, and there is one. What you need to learn and want to mod quickly becomes obvious through playing and learning the game (and it is all preference and QoL. They game is totally playable in a base-game default state. And enjoyable.) Also there is no real "fail state" as it were, in the sense that maxing out your loan and going broke would take intent or the worst player in the world.

If you're someone who plays games and wants complete optimisation from the very beginning you'll spend days watching youtube and never play the actual game. Farm Sim is not a sim in the hardcore sense of flight sims with everything modeled to the nth degree. It's mostly accurate, or a good approximation. It is a sim in the sense of a sims' customisability. You can do what you want, however you want. If something is annoying you there's either an in-game option or a mod, especially on PC. Giants want people to play the game in whatever way they want. The base game is pretty much "balanced." Some mods will destroy all balance. Some will give you a massive challenge. If you're someone who's happy setting your own challenges but want some parameters (i.e. not pure sandbox) you'll probably enjoy Farm Sim. If you're someone who immediately mods the game with the essentially "cheat" mods then complains it's too easy, this game is not for you. This game is what you make of it.

Seriously, though. The effort post review I linked to above goes into a lot of what Farm Sim is (to me at least, and some people talk about it after.)

Farm Sim Official Written Tutorials - https://www.farming-simulator.com/newsArticle.php?lang=en&country=us&news_id=280
Farm Sim Official Modhub (Download and put in folder, don't unzip the file) - https://www.farming-simulator.com/mods.php?lang=en&country=us
MrSealyP's Guide Playlist (Videos aren't in the order you need. I'd say watch the Ground Working Videos first) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYWjATvxZ40TsQx6rRIyf9ws73LiMVL_N
MrSealyP's first Video Let's play on FS22 on a base map (in order. Perfect if you have a second screen while playing FS or any game.) - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLYWjATvxZ40QgV4tXS4aTMHPRu6XLUBBx

One warning - The shader cache can be weird in FS22. The first time you load into a map it can take a few minutes of your FPS being all over the place. It's just the cache being built. It won't happen the next times you load in unless there's been a change to it, sometimes a game or map update. Sometimes a GPU Driver update. Sometimes it's just something gone funky. It'll be fine after a few minutes. If you keep having issues google how to delete the cache file in the windows folder and let it do its thing when you load in again.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I loaded Elmcreek. Made one swath through the wheat field. Couldn't figure out how to do autodrive or courseplay, and then quit the game :v:.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

skooma512 posted:

I loaded Elmcreek. Made one swath through the wheat field. Couldn't figure out how to do autodrive or courseplay, and then quit the game :v:.

I learned from watching Farm Sim Guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtM4jLWZ50U

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Cross posting from the new games thread:

Trans-Siberian Railway Simulator

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256954407/movie480_vp9.webm

quote:

Take the helm of a classic Russian locomotive, discover the raw beauty and wildness of Siberia and try to survive on the longest railway line in the world. This is the Trans-Siberian Railway Simulator. A game for real adventurers!

Key features:
Detailed simulation of driving a VL10 locomotive - the locomotive control is slightly simplified.
Locomotive repair system - Manage and replace locomotive parts that are constantly wearing out.
Train traffic simulation - Follow rail signs and signals to avoid derailment or damage to a part of the locomotive.
Work system - Earn by completing transport orders. You can also do other additional work.
Story Mode - Play with survival elements. Manage the locomotive and complete transportation jobs. Complete missions for the mafia.
Survival - Play with survival elements. Manage the locomotive and complete transportation jobs.
Simulator - Play without survival elements. Manage the locomotive and complete transportation jobs.
Mafia system - Complete missions for the mafia to earn extra money.
Survival system with statistics of hunger, thirst, alcohol, hangover, disease and hypothermia - Eat and drink to avoid death.
Keep the right temperature so you don't freeze.
Shooting system - Use your weapons for hunting and self-defense.
Hunting system - Hunt to get meat and trophies that you can sell to a forest ranger.
Purchase and sales system - Buy various items, food, tools, weapons and ammunition. Sell trophies and scrap.
Locomotive inspection mode - Inspect the condition of locomotive parts and replace them in time to avoid damage.
Dynamic weather system with day and night cycle - Survive extreme weather conditions.
Police system - A corrupt militia watches over your movements.
The current length of the railway route is approximately 220 kilometers, on a 1:1 scale.
Much more to discover.

Early access, $17.99. I was watching someone stream this today and it's an interesting and weird mix of "hahaha guys are shooting at you" and "ungodly complex and intricate train sim."

Biscuitbeard
Feb 16, 2020

StarkRavingMad posted:

Cross posting from the new games thread:

Trans-Siberian Railway Simulator

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256954407/movie480_vp9.webm

Early access, $17.99. I was watching someone stream this today and it's an interesting and weird mix of "hahaha guys are shooting at you" and "ungodly complex and intricate train sim."

Genuinely wondering whether this could become a bit of a breakout hit? My geeky brain kinda just wants the complex sim without the endless daft streamerbait, I wonder if they'll add a more relaxed mode. Gonna pick it up today I think, looks like a laugh.

Co-op would be bloody awesome too.

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Biscuitbeard posted:

Genuinely wondering whether this could become a bit of a breakout hit? My geeky brain kinda just wants the complex sim without the endless daft streamerbait, I wonder if they'll add a more relaxed mode. Gonna pick it up today I think, looks like a laugh.

Co-op would be bloody awesome too.

I initially loved the demo but cooled on it the more I thought about it. What you might be describing as the streamerbait stuff is kind of jarring. The mafia poo poo in the demo was painful and felt at total odds with the rest of the game. Initially I kind of thought it was neat but I’m suspicious that they can mesh it meaningfully. The demo mission has you have to stop your train in a weird spot, then run for 5+ minutes with a quick “place a bomb” button in between. Survival doesn’t seem interesting and more of a gut check that you remembered not to let your bars fall. I can’t imagine the shooting is good.

It kind of feels like it’s for kids excepting the detailed train sim. I absolutely love games like my summer car that take a weird deep dive on something and tack on a life sim, but this feels like a train sim with a bunch of systems that don’t meaningfully interact with each other added onto it.

But, for $17 - maybe the demo wasn’t a great representation - it could be worth it, but it’s just got that low effort, appeal to the streamers/kids/whatever stink to it with the mafia missions and guns and that.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
My kid loves playing farming simulator on my PlayStation. Just turn on the money mod and he buys and drives all kinds of stuff.

Recently got farming simulator 2023 on switch, and it seems impossible to have mods and/or infinite money? Or am I just not looking in the right places?

incoherent light
Aug 15, 2014

shut up blegum posted:

My kid loves playing farming simulator on my PlayStation. Just turn on the money mod and he buys and drives all kinds of stuff.

Recently got farming simulator 2023 on switch, and it seems impossible to have mods and/or infinite money? Or am I just not looking in the right places?

FS23 is the mobile version which unfortunately does not appear to support modding. Poor Switch, relegated to mobile again.

e: Giants alternates releases between Pc/console and mobile each year with 22 being the last Pc/major console release

incoherent light fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 3, 2024

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So this popped up in my queue and holy poo poo, the first screenshot made my partner die laughing because of how close to My Summer Car it was. Anyone ever heard of it or given it a try yet? It's at 90% positive but those could just be joke reviews because "haha My Summer Car but train"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/998400/TransSiberian_Railway_Simulator/

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---

incoherent light posted:

FS23 is the mobile version which unfortunately does not appear to support modding. Poor Switch, relegated to mobile again.

e: Giants alternates releases between Pc/console and mobile each year with 22 being the last Pc/major console release

OK thanks.
So if I buy FS22 for switch, there is mod support? Or did I read your edit wrong?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

shut up blegum posted:

OK thanks.
So if I buy FS22 for switch, there is mod support? Or did I read your edit wrong?

It does not support mods.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

shut up blegum posted:

OK thanks.

OgNar is correct. No support on Switch. I believe it is slightly more fleshed out than the basic mobile version but I'm not quite sure how.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

My problem with Farming Simulators, which I own two latest, is that the physics suck. All the vehicles feel super light and floaty. It might not be an issue if you are super into farming, but for me it's more about the mood and feel and they feel weightless. That's not what I want from heavy machinery.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

lobsterminator posted:

My problem with Farming Simulators, which I own two latest, is that the physics suck. All the vehicles feel super light and floaty. It might not be an issue if you are super into farming, but for me it's more about the mood and feel and they feel weightless. That's not what I want from heavy machinery.

agreed, flipping my tractor repeatedly should feel impactful. it's better for everyone if I get my "drunk drive heavy equipment" kicks in-game

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
There are some mods that at least enforce turn limits and such while on keyboard or controller but Giants is really counting on you having a steering wheel peripheral that you set your own force feedback curves on.

Which is like the most amazing thing about Truck Sim, all their stock in game curves are good enough to make me feel like "nah" when Farm Sim is over there asking me to control my own tractor feedback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I think part of the problem with Farm Sim is the actual name. It's not really a "sim" in the old school sense of meticulously detailing processes and experience. It's quite arcade-y in gameplay and is extremely accessible once you get over the initial learning curve of what the actual processes and flow is in doing things.

It's only really comparable to a traditional sim in the amount of things that are in the game and how moddable it is. If you're on PC there's mods that will let you do pretty much anything within the constraints of quite broad coding.

They've made it very clear (at least via community managers and the like, and some of their blogs) that they want to make the game accessible to everyone, of any ability and age. That anything they add to new versions will be optional, like you can see with the last release and the ability to turn on/off things like rock picking. They know their game has an extremely wide appeal, as evidenced by it appealing to toddlers all the way to actual farmers. It is not a "grog" sim.