Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I’m looking for a simple camera to set up inside the house. We have a tree and raccoons crawl up the thing at night. I want to look at them. Is there something without a ton of frills, connect 1 or two cameras, no subscription services, decent picture, can keep maybe 2-4 days (through a SD card?), maybe live view too? Am I asking too much for this magical product?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

obi_ant posted:

I’m looking for a simple camera to set up inside the house. We have a tree and raccoons crawl up the thing at night. I want to look at them. Is there something without a ton of frills, connect 1 or two cameras, no subscription services, decent picture, can keep maybe 2-4 days (through a SD card?), maybe live view too? Am I asking too much for this magical product?

You’re basically looking for a trail cam. I don’t have a specific recommendation but Google that phrase and you’ll find tons.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I've recently installed a Reolink camera at my house. It's got its flaws. The AI person detection can't handle the camera being angled down 45°. Sudden extreme changes in light level make the video and audio hang for two seconds, which is absurd. Maybe that doesn't matter if you're looking at raccoons?

The app works well enough and you get a live view as well as a look at recordings on an optional sd card. It's not in your face about entirely optional cloud services. I've not used the app on the go and so far all internet access it has required is a time server.

I'm not too enthousiastic about it as a security camera. But the benefit over a trail cam in this situation (where supposedly there is wifi or somehting) is you don't need to open it up and retrieve the sd card to see what's on it. A model with optical zoom would help you frame exactly what you want to look at. Be aware that any integrated led or infrared light will be uselessly reflected in the window if you place the camera indoors.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rabbit Hill posted:

This is a longshot but...

At some point in the course of my life, I picked up the phrase, "I am wholly aligned with that sentiment," to say when I agree with something. I'm sure it's a quote from somewhere, but I have no idea from where.

Does that phrase ring any bells for anyone? Google turns up nothing.

It sounds like something I would have read in some work of 19th-C. British or American literature in English class. Or, like, a PG Wodehouse "Jeeves and Wooster" story from the 1930s. I feel like I'm quoting someone snooty, like a matronly aunt from Wodehouse or some annoying office clerk from Charles Dickens. Or maybe Anne of Green Gables? IDK. Now it's niggling at me.

Sounds more like techbro management/VC talk honestly
"alignment" has become somewhat of a tech buzzword thanks to its usage with AI.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

You’re basically looking for a trail cam. I don’t have a specific recommendation but Google that phrase and you’ll find tons.

Oh man, those look like way overkill for what I imagined it for. I actually live in a city, but there are raccoons and coyotes around occasionally. I want to look at those raccoons chilling and poo poo.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

obi_ant posted:

Oh man, those look like way overkill for what I imagined it for. I actually live in a city, but there are raccoons and coyotes around occasionally. I want to look at those raccoons chilling and poo poo.

The nice ones are but there are cheap ones that I think would do what you want.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Are stemless wine glasses any more spill resistant than the normal stemmed kind?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
What non-plant derived sorts of denatured spirits exist?
I am asking because I saw a sign raising questions answered by the sign. On a bottle of spirits was a sign that it was made from plant-derived sources.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

bee posted:

Are stemless wine glasses any more spill resistant than the normal stemmed kind?

They should have a lower center of mass, so they'll be more stable if knocked sideways. I don't know how much of a practical difference it makes, though.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

VictualSquid posted:

What non-plant derived sorts of denatured spirits exist?
I am asking because I saw a sign raising questions answered by the sign. On a bottle of spirits was a sign that it was made from plant-derived sources.

Pretty much any organic molecule manufactured is a petrochemical in origin if it's not specified where else it may have come from. Ethanol (which I think you're referring to) can easily be made from ethylene in crude oil, especially in non-food grade applications.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Just as energy drinks over here has branched out and have different concentrations of caffeine and also can sizes, they also started labelling the caffeine content as a percentage. How does this work? I'm looking at a particular can that has both right now. The content is labelled as 75 mg per 250 ml serving, and 0.32% caffeine by mass. Now 250 ml of water weighs 250000 mg and 0.32% of that is 80 mg. Which is close but not the same. Does the percentage take into account differences in the weight of the drink when it it isn't pure water? But if it does account for say dissolved sugar than shouldn't the same amount weight more than pure water? i.e. I couldn't get to the extra 5 mg by accounting for differences in mass/ml as it would be higher not lower, presuming it's the specific content listing of 75 mg which is correct.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

What was the relationship between 'Shockwave' and 'Flash'? I remember having to install them separately, but wikipedia seems to imply they were the same product?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Killingyouguy! posted:

What was the relationship between 'Shockwave' and 'Flash'? I remember having to install them separately, but wikipedia seems to imply they were the same product?

They were both owned by Macromedia and then by Adobe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Flash
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Shockwave

mystes
May 31, 2006

Killingyouguy! posted:

I think they were separate plugins for playing content produced by separate applications, but the confusion may be that "flash" was originally confusingly called "shockwave flash" (as opposed to "shockwave player" which is probably what you mean when you say "shockwave") so they both had "shockwave" in the name at some point?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Killingyouguy! posted:

They were two products that basically did the same thing that got bought by the same company and eventually everyone decided flash was the better one. There was a moment where the brand was “Shockwave Flash” to piggyback on shockwave initially being more famous, but that didn’t last.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 6, 2024

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Did .swf stand for Shockwave-Flash, or Shockwave File?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

alnilam posted:

Small Web Format, lol.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

alnilam posted:

Shockwave Flash

Edit:

Paladinus posted:

Small Web Format, lol.

Adobe backronymed that after they bought it

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Sounds more like techbro management/VC talk honestly
"alignment" has become somewhat of a tech buzzword thanks to its usage with AI.

I’ve been hearing/using the terms aligned and alignment for more than a decade in my corporate career with non-tech folks, not sure if it’s seeing a resurgence now but it’s been around for a while

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

It's been an important word in pedagogy for a long time, as in, are your lessons, home/classwork, and exams in alignment with the learning objectives?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

alnilam posted:

It's been an important word in pedagogy for a long time, as in, are your lessons, home/classwork, and exams in alignment with the learning objectives?

The way we use it in corporate land is for agreement, like “I’m aligned with this plan” or “we need to talk to Operations and make sure they’re aligned.”

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Bright Bart posted:

Just as energy drinks over here has branched out and have different concentrations of caffeine...

I don't know the answer, but I'm very interested if someone does.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Alignment is a table top rpg thing. HTH

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bright Bart posted:

Just as energy drinks over here has branched out and have different concentrations of caffeine and also can sizes, they also started labelling the caffeine content as a percentage. How does this work? I'm looking at a particular can that has both right now. The content is labelled as 75 mg per 250 ml serving, and 0.32% caffeine by mass. Now 250 ml of water weighs 250000 mg and 0.32% of that is 80 mg. Which is close but not the same. Does the percentage take into account differences in the weight of the drink when it it isn't pure water? But if it does account for say dissolved sugar than shouldn't the same amount weight more than pure water? i.e. I couldn't get to the extra 5 mg by accounting for differences in mass/ml as it would be higher not lower, presuming it's the specific content listing of 75 mg which is correct.

At a guess and relying on 30 year old high school chemistry, wouldn't the different molar weights of the various substances besides water affect that? You're equating mg and ml which is fine for distilled water but all the sugar, taurine, vitamins, caffeine, etc that are added must change that 1 ml = 1 mg calculation.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Is there a way to make Windows 10 take a screenshot of only one monitor at a time, rather than doing both like this?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

At a guess and relying on 30 year old high school chemistry, wouldn't the different molar weights of the various substances besides water affect that? You're equating mg and ml which is fine for distilled water but all the sugar, taurine, vitamins, caffeine, etc that are added must change that 1 ml = 1 mg calculation.

This is what I'd suspect too- there's actually, physically more or less stuff in the can if it's not just water and that alters the percentages.

Think about it as if you filled the can with sand and 1% of that was some other powder, vs if you filled the can with pebbles and 1% of that was some other thing. The sand and the pebbles would vary in terms of what 100% by mass means, and so would the 1%.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â

El Jeffe posted:

Is there a way to make Windows 10 take a screenshot of only one monitor at a time, rather than doing both like this?

Try Snipping tool? Search for it on the windows search bar and you can dictate exactly what's included.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Try Snipping tool? Search for it on the windows search bar and you can dictate exactly what's included.

I know about the snipping tool, I was just wondering if there was a way specifically with the PrtSc key. Sometimes I want to get just a screenshot of the entire screen, no cropping leading to odd resolutions.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Winkey+Shift+S

Then click and drag, or select the “snip window” or “snip screen” button.

Although I don’t recall if snip screen takes both monitors? I find clicking and dragging to be the best solution 90% of the time.

The image ends up in the clipboard so you can just ctrl+v it into paint or whatever

E: never mind, sounds like it isn’t working for you the way you want it to

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

I know about the snipping tool, I was just wondering if there was a way specifically with the PrtSc key. Sometimes I want to get just a screenshot of the entire screen, no cropping leading to odd resolutions.

Are you aware of alt+PrtSc? Screenshots the active window. Might accomplish what you're trying to do.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Winkey+Shift+S

Then click and drag, or select the “snip window” or “snip screen” button.

Although I don’t recall if snip screen takes both monitors? I find clicking and dragging to be the best solution 90% of the time.

The image ends up in the clipboard so you can just ctrl+v it into paint or whatever

E: never mind, sounds like it isn’t working for you the way you want it to

Actually the "Window snip" button does the trick! A little more involved than just hitting PrtSc but it only captures the active monitor, so I'll take it. Thanks!

e:

alnilam posted:

Are you aware of alt+PrtSc? Screenshots the active window. Might accomplish what you're trying to do.

This works too! Thank you

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

If we go by what's on the can, the specific weight of the whole liquid should be 0.9375, which is weird, because what is going to be in there that's lighter than water to throw off the average that much? The specific weight of coca cola is supposedly 1.06 mg/ml.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Lots of things are lighter than water.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
Someone else pointed this out on the forums, but a lot of people are using the word "bespoke" lately. Why is that?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

Lots of things are lighter than water.
Name some you'd find in soda though.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

credburn posted:

Someone else pointed this out on the forums, but a lot of people are using the word "bespoke" lately. Why is that?
Linguistics trends like this come and go all the time, and have forever. For sure you've participated yourself loads of times in your life, this is just the first time you noticed.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Flipperwaldt posted:

If the other person would post the soda's ingredients, we could answer the question. Maybe it has some sort of oil in it as an additive or something, could be lots of things in a faddish energy drink.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Flipperwaldt posted:

Carbon dioxide

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

If the other person would post the soda's ingredients, we could answer the question. Maybe it has some sort of oil in it as an additive or something, could be lots of things in a faddish energy drink.
The drink would have to be approaching 80% of say palm oil to come near that specific weight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Taeke posted:

Linguistics trends like this come and go all the time, and have forever. For sure you've participated yourself loads of times in your life, this is just the first time you noticed.

Yeah but sometimes you can pinpoint what caused the bubble. Like if it was used in a popular song or was from an Avenger's movie catchphrase or something.