Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Cartoons? Get that 12fps poo poo outta here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

SCheeseman posted:

Cartoons? Get that 12fps poo poo outta here.

What about Cuphead?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Lammasu posted:

What about Cuphead?

Lazy devs

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Lmao at "idunno like it's not amazing but I find 30FPS totally playable" getting "you think you're fine with it but you're actually wrong" lmao it's just games let them play.

30FPS is fine and playable, more is betterer tho. But more importantly is the fun part of the game. 60 or 120 ain't making Starfield amazing, no sirree.

Also I was like "oh I'm not playing a tonne of games right now, I'll just pause gamepass" and then almost immediately got the itch to play games on it. Be better than me folks, keep gamepass going.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

LA Noire owns in B&W and 60 fps

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
lmao 30 fps standard didn't become a thing on consoles until 8th gen. Go back and play some N64 or PS3 games.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
It should have at least been mandatory to provide a performance mode on every game that hits 60, even if it looks like poo poo

Maybe next gen...

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
The same people that claim that 30fps is unplayable are the same ones who hold up bloodborne as a perfect game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ryoga posted:

The same people that claim that 30fps is unplayable are the same ones who hold up bloodborne as a perfect game.

Hrm, hrm.

I hate 30fps and will accept crazy sacrifices to get to 60, but also bloodborne was mediocre so I think you're right.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Ryoga posted:

Braindead sony gamers? say it aint so

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
If a game pass game is locked at 30fps on Xbox but 60+fps on PC (Starfield being a recent one that comes to mind) then I just play it on there. The difference is very noticeable to me in certain games. Slow-paced games I can deal with 30fps though.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Possible Gears 6 announcement in June

https://x.com/IdleSloth84_/status/1776361247358779523

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

https://www.windowscentral.com/gami...d-compatibility

Cool

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

"We are moving full speed ahead on our next generation hardware, focused on delivering the biggest technological leap ever in a generation."

Very cool

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

John F Bennett posted:

"We are moving full speed ahead on our next generation hardware, focused on delivering the biggest technological leap ever in a generation."

Very cool

4K 30fps but will all the tracing rays.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John F Bennett posted:

Very cool
Dedicated to the memory of Timdog

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
The biggest generational leap in what respect I wonder? AI will no doubt form a big part of it, but graphics will plateau around where they are now surely? Look at the leap from the likes of Halo 2 to Gears of War - that difference was incredible.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

Cool, an even more powerful console so people can keep playing old games :waycool:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ZeeBoi posted:

Cool, an even more powerful console so people can keep playing old games :waycool:

this but unironically

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The biggest generational leap in what respect I wonder? AI will no doubt form a big part of it, but graphics will plateau around where they are now surely? Look at the leap from the likes of Halo 2 to Gears of War - that difference was incredible.

I think it’s somehow going to be a steam deck like line of living room pcs.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
my most bizarre gaming opinion is that I was so used to Dark Souls in 30fps that when I saw it with the PC mod that makes it 60fps I thought it looked really weird and wrong. Not bad, or worse or whatever, it just felt off, like watching that 48fps hobbit movie

I think 60fps is mandatory for racing, fighting, and certain fast paced action/shooter games, but for a lot of things it's really not

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

Ruffian Price posted:

LA Noire owns in B&W and 60 fps
Nah, it's just a basic filter, it doesn't take advantage of being black & white in any way.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

kri kri posted:

I think it’s somehow going to be a steam deck like line of living room pcs.

I feel like this has been looming in the background for the last few years as the thing that might just kill off consoles eventually. It just seems like easy to use living room PCs are going to start popping up and people are gonna realize they can buy a thing with the largest library of games in history and it is way more consumer friendly than any console. And now with stuff like the Steam Deck, PC now has the best console OS. You could just make a beefed up box running Steam OS meant to be plugged into a TV and be like "look at what this has to offer compared to Playstation, nintendo, Xbox...I know people have been expecting a steam "console" for decades, but I think if Valve did that right now it would massively shake up the console industry.

I myself am basically 50/50 on whether or not I'll ever buy another console. After this gen it might just be PC upgrade time. Sony mostly just keeps me locked in for social reasons like that's where all my friends play and that's sort of hard to give up but frankly I am sick of consoles.

super fart shooter posted:

my most bizarre gaming opinion is that I was so used to Dark Souls in 30fps that when I saw it with the PC mod that makes it 60fps I thought it looked really weird and wrong. Not bad, or worse or whatever, it just felt off, like watching that 48fps hobbit movie

I think 60fps is mandatory for racing, fighting, and certain fast paced action/shooter games, but for a lot of things it's really not

Big same. First time I played Dark Souls at 60 I hated it. it felt like all the weight was gone or something. Then I played DS3 and was like ohhhh nm with is way better lol.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

I feel like this has been looming in the background for the last few years as the thing that might just kill off consoles eventually. It just seems like easy to use living room PCs are going to start popping up and people are gonna realize they can buy a thing with the largest library of games in history and it is way more consumer friendly than any console. And now with stuff like the Steam Deck, PC now has the best console OS. You could just make a beefed up box running Steam OS meant to be plugged into a TV and be like "look at what this has to offer compared to Playstation, nintendo, Xbox...I know people have been expecting a steam "console" for decades, but I think if Valve did that right now it would massively shake up the console industry.

I myself am basically 50/50 on whether or not I'll ever buy another console. After this gen it might just be PC upgrade time. Sony mostly just keeps me locked in for social reasons like that's where all my friends play and that's sort of hard to give up but frankly I am sick of consoles.

Big same. First time I played Dark Souls at 60 I hated it. it felt like all the weight was gone or something. Then I played DS3 and was like ohhhh nm with is way better lol.

Normal people aren't doing any of that poo poo fyi

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

Omon Ra posted:

Nah, it's just a basic filter, it doesn't take advantage of being black & white in any way.
gently caress, so I enjoyed it for no reason like an idiot

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Normal people aren't doing any of that poo poo fyi

Doing what poo poo? I don't think you understood my post at all

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Normal people are barely buying PCs right now, much less putting them in their living rooms. The target market for game consoles is not by and large the same target for people who have large steam libraries and want to have that on their TV.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I mean, Microsoft can kill their console but Sony and Nintendo couldn’t.

And I’m pretty sure people could manage to plug a box into their tv doesn’t seem too hard.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't understand what the "consoles are going to go away" people think is going to happen instead. Do you think I'm going to hook up a Windows PC and keyboard and mouse to my TV and manage Windows updates and juggling a dozen game stores and poo poo? I'm not doing any of that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

kri kri posted:

I mean, Microsoft can kill their console but Sony and Nintendo couldn’t.

And I’m pretty sure people could manage to plug a box into their tv doesn’t seem too hard.

People pay Best buy to plug their game consoles into their tvs

e: "oh wow this steam thing provides me with gazillions of unity engine shovelware trash games and hentai titles in addition to all the same poo poo that's available on the game console marketplaces, I'm sold" - absolutely no one currently gaming primarily on consoles

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 6, 2024

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

Normal people are barely buying PCs right now, much less putting them in their living rooms. The target market for game consoles is not by and large the same target for people who have large steam libraries and want to have that on their TV.

lol what? there's almost as many people on PC as all three consoles combined. It's also very popular with young people because streaming is so big. That's not even the point I was making though.

That the Steam Deck makes PC gaming almost as simple as playing on console if you want it to be. There's nothing stopping anyone from just making a PC with a "console" interface like Steam OS or whatever MS is working on, meant to be used as such on a television . And right out of the gate it would have more titles than every other console combined, free online play, better deals etc.

it's not even hard right now to just plug a PC into a TV but it's still less than ideal because of how people use boxes in their living room. And companies seem to be pushing towards more console-like ways to play on PC idg how you can't see that could be a game changer.

I guess my point is that right now it would not be hard at all to expand the target market.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

veni veni veni posted:

lol what? there's almost as many people on PC as all three consoles combined. It's also very popular with young people because streaming is so big. That's not even the point I was making though.

That the Steam Deck makes PC gaming almost as simple as playing on console if you want it to be. There's nothing stopping anyone from just making a PC with a "console" interface like Steam OS or whatever MS is working on, meant to be used as such on a television . And right out of the gate it would have more titles than every other console combined, free online play, better deals etc.

it's not even hard right now to just plug a PC into a TV but it's still less than ideal because of how people use boxes in their living room. And companies seem to be pushing towards more console-like ways to play on PC idg how you can't see that could be a game changer.

I guess my point is that right now it would not be hard at all to expand the target market.

This is like the magical belief that you can get people to vote for you by rationally explaining your economic policies. Streaming is built into PS5s and Xboxes now. No one gives a poo poo about the many thousands more titles on PC because you can play the ones people care about on console anyway. You are talking about a niche audience. No, no one is going to put out a new thing in the 9th console gen and make a big splash that disrupts the industry. I mean listen to your own post "almost as simple if you want it to be" my goon that is enough to stop most people who are already happy enough with their game consoles.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

shut da gently caress up

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D

Quantum of Phallus posted:

shut da gently caress up

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

This is like the magical belief that you can get people to vote for you by rationally explaining your economic policies. Streaming is built into PS5s and Xboxes now. No one gives a poo poo about the many thousands more titles on PC because you can play the ones people care about on console anyway. You are talking about a niche audience. No, no one is going to put out a new thing in the 9th console gen and make a big splash that disrupts the industry. I mean listen to your own post "almost as simple if you want it to be" my goon that is enough to stop most people who are already happy enough with their game consoles.

Statistically everything you are saying is complete bullshit.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
*pushes up glasses" well uh, you see here on this graph, the number of people with PCs is a clear sign that valve could eat nintendo's lunch if they introduced a gaming pc for the living room.

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
This is more annoying than FPS chat.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Professor Beetus posted:

*pushes up glasses" well uh, you see here on this graph, the number of people with PCs is a clear sign that valve could eat nintendo's lunch if they introduced a gaming pc for the living room.

I didn't say that. I said the opportunity is there. Obviously marketing and IP is a huge part of consoles, so I don't think they could just unceremoniously drop something like that and expect it to dominate. All the pieces are there for it to be possible though.

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Professor Beetus posted:

What kind of stance is this? Are you not aware that computers create every part of every video game that will ever be made? Without computers, video games simply don't exist because those consoles have nothing to play.

e: lmao, please show me a version of ZBrush/Maya/3DS Max/Visual Studio that runs on a Switch, XBox or Playstation.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Apr 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I just wanna play good video games, I don't give a gently caress about anything else. I'm excited for the Microsoft first party line up for the next year. Their upcoming games are exciting.