Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

A Sneaker Broker posted:

D U N 2 is now out on digital. I am waiting for Amazon and Apple to release the pre-order wall. However, enjoy:

Ah, that's why the scene is confusing for a lot of folks. Left and right get flipped for the closeup of disarm and stab. Just change that 180 and it'd make a lot more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Wait so the digital release has more footage? Or what do they mean by full

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Red Rox posted:

Wait so the digital release has more footage? Or what do they mean by full

They mean that we have the whole thing digitally to upload on YouTube and the like. Previously there were only clips for video essayists to play with. It’s the same film you saw in theaters.

I really wish they’d have released the digital version in 1.90. I get that they don’t want to have pillarboxing with the 1.43, but the 1.90 version from the smaller imax screens would fit 16:9 TVs quite well. I think it suits most of the compositions better than 2.39 too. A lot of shots wind up feeling kind of cramped in the latter.

I had some hope since many of the trailers were in that 1.90… oh well.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Apr 7, 2024

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot

Bugblatter posted:

They mean that we have the whole thing digitally to upload on YouTube and the like. Previously there were only clips for video essayists to play with. It’s the same film you saw in theaters.

I really wish they’d have released the digital version in 1.90. I get that they don’t want to have pillarboxing with the 1.43, but the 1.90 version from the smaller imax screens would fit 16:9 TVs quite well. I think it suits most of the compositions better than 2.39 too. A lot of shots wind up feeling kind of cramped in the latter.

I had some hope since many of the trailers were in that 1.90… oh well.

Yeah, theirs a lot of discussion on twitter (and rightfully so) hoping that Legendary release the film in IMAX ratio. When Paul is giving his speech to the War Council and Fremen, his hand gets cut off the screen.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Denis seems to be under the impression that the imax version of the first film was released for home video… so I guess he’s just not aware of the home video releases at all.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

Finally watched DUNC Part Deux.

It's neat.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Rewatching over digital, a bit bitter than my old bravia looks sharper than the cinema big screen but i cannot crank the volume to 11 so the ticket was still worthy. I'll have to wait for the end of the trilogy to grab the blus.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

breadshaped posted:

I was in Karlsruhe, first IMAX also. I could have gone to Leonberg but decided against it last minute because I heard 1.43:1 is better.

When I say I experienced a lot of "vertical compression" I mean like this effect:

It was quite difficult to focus back and forth on certain parts of the screen and I should add that I have perfect vision.

I'm going to recreate this cinematic experience at home by watching it on an iPad held an inch away and perpendicular to my face.

Cacator fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 8, 2024

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Spiteski posted:

Finally watched DUNC Part Deux.

It's neat.

Same. Visually stunning, beautiful set design and costume design, terrible choice of actors for a variety of parts.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Life got in the way of me seeing this in my local cinema's IMAX screen which is now showing some stupid poo poo, but finally made it along today after literally finishing the book this morning. Having the book so fresh in my mind certainly made for an interesting experience watching it although I would have probably enjoyed the film more if all of the changes weren't so obviously apparent.

I'm glad we didn't get a twilight-like situation with an uncanny valley toddler but I really hate what they did with Chani's character and how rushed it ultimately ended up feeling despite the huge runtime? But then the book also wraps up very quickly so maybe that was true to form at least.

Glad I've got a bunch of new books to read though

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

breadshaped posted:

I was in Karlsruhe, first IMAX also. I could have gone to Leonberg but decided against it last minute because I heard 1.43:1 is better.

When I say I experienced a lot of "vertical compression" I mean like this effect:

It was quite difficult to focus back and forth on certain parts of the screen and I should add that I have perfect vision.

I am going into battle and I need your strongest worm juice

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I really hate what they did with Chani's character

What, like, give her one beyond "Paul's Fremen wife"? :confused:

Jeremor
Jun 1, 2009

Drop Your Nuts

This movie fuckin ruled

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
It really did.
It's the same category as the Lord of the Rings movies. They're great, they're clearly made by people who care what they're doing, and while they're not perfect there is no universe in which we get better versions. If the studio execs had their way, Dune 2 would have a scene where a harkonnen gets sucked under the sand by a mini worm accompanied by a high-pitched scream and then Chani would look back towards the camera and say "well THAT happened."

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tree Bucket posted:

a scene where a harkonnen gets sucked

I believe this is implied offscreen

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

It really did.
It's the same category as the Lord of the Rings movies. They're great, they're clearly made by people who care what they're doing, and while they're not perfect there is no universe in which we get better versions. If the studio execs had their way, Dune 2 would have a scene where a harkonnen gets sucked under the sand by a mini worm accompanied by a high-pitched scream and then Chani would look back towards the camera and say "well THAT happened."

[Paul and Jessica watch fearfully as Harkonnen soldiers float with ethereal grace up to the top of a rock outcropping in a stunning, beautiful piece of cinematography]

"They fly now!?"
"They fly now."

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Mode 7 posted:

[Paul and Jessica watch fearfully as Harkonnen soldiers float with ethereal grace up to the top of a rock outcropping in a stunning, beautiful piece of cinematography]

"They fly now!?"
"They fly now."

Paul strides across the rocky plains of the south towards the fundamentalists' cave-temple. A worm breaches in the background, wreathed in dust and heat haze.
Bad to the Bone begins playing

e: hilarious "learning to ride the worm" montage set to an upbeat pop hit. Multiple shots of Paul falling off the worm, getting sucked into sand vortices, jamming his finger in the thumper, etc. At one point he is swallowed by the worm and next appears covered in worm-slime and walking awkwardly. Intersperse these shots with various Fremen laughing and, eventually, cheering, as Paul's skills improve.

Tree Bucket fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 9, 2024

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
That's our usul! :imunfunny:

(I can't promise I wouldn't have been one of the people laughing as Timothee Chalomet did a pratfall into the sand)

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

Mode 7 posted:

What, like, give her one beyond "Paul's Fremen wife"? :confused:

Maybe it's just that the book was so fresh in my head so I was always going to be looking out for the differences, but it felt like the film exaggerated Paul's ruthless ascent to power at the expense of his self-doubt, introspection and reflection, and I guess Chani's role felt like she became the avatar for how the audience were supposed to question his character by the end of the film. Removing the time-skip, their child and the loss of their child also removed a lot of the foundations of her relationship with Paul and her motivations for the fight. As the characters were presented in the film she acted rationally but I think she lost a lot of the strength it felt like she had in the book, where it felt like she was one of the most trusted Fremen leaders, and her relationship with Jessica was less antagonistic and more about mutual respect and appreciation.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Maybe it's just that the book was so fresh in my head so I was always going to be looking out for the differences, but it felt like the film exaggerated Paul's ruthless ascent to power at the expense of his self-doubt, introspection and reflection

4/5 of the movie were Paul self-doubting and refusing his call.

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Apr 9, 2024

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Chani is the protagonist of DV's DUNCology

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Random thought as I rewatched it on digital: Unlike the book, the movie tends to prefer the title "Lisan Al-Gaib" for Paul over "Mahdi". On my first watch I figured that was only for simplicity's sake, as otherwise Muad'dib and Mahdi can sound fairly similar and might confuse audiences. But on the rewatch, I also realised that Lisan Al-Gaib specifically emphasizes the outsider/off-world nature of Paul, while Mahdi doesn't. IIRC one of the Fedaykin even outright claims that the Mahdi can/should only be a (native) Fremen. A nice touch that works nicely with the movie's greater focus on internal Fremen friction.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

YggdrasilTM posted:

4/5 of the movie where Paul self-doubting and refusing his call.

But then he goes full mask-off tyrant. I don't want to spoil myself on the rest of the books but I already know that's probably the direction he's going in, but by the end of the first Dune book it's still very ambiguous. Obviously the written format lends itself more to showing a character's internal turmoil but I got much less of a sense of that in the film and even though he did spend a good chunk of it doubting as you say, it still came across to me like he was railroaded to power very quickly rather than building up to it through years of living with the Fremen, learning their ways, becoming one of them and earning the right to be their leader instead of waltzing straight into it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

But then he goes full mask-off tyrant.

Does he? That's not the feeling I got.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

The film ends with him launching a holy war after making the emperor kiss his ring.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
The Holy War is happening whether he wants it or not.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Butterfly Valley posted:

The film ends with him launching a holy war after making the emperor kiss his ring.

Did you miss the part where he undergoes a substantial character shift after drinking the worm juice, something he feared throughout the whole movie until every avenue to avoid it he could think of was closed off by the Harkonans, Emperor, and his mother?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Butterfly Valley posted:

Sure, a display of authority and large scale violence that were unthinkable for him at the start of the first movie. Does he go "full mask-off tyrant", though?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Did you miss the part where he undergoes a substantial character shift after drinking the worm juice, something he feared throughout the whole movie until every avenue to avoid it he could think of was closed off by the Harkonans, Emperor, and his mother?

Again I'm just comparing it to how it was presented in the book, where it was his own decision to take it and felt like it was coming from his desire to have all the information possible to stop the upcoming war. He takes a single drop and is out for weeks and then wakes up and realises the jihad is coming with or without him, but with him he can try to limit the destruction.

I think the water of life scenes in general were the most disappointing for me, I was hoping for a lot more psychedelia attempts to visualise the weirdness of what they were actually undergoing. Difficult to adapt, sure, but not beyond someone of Villeneuve's skills and they felt like such pivotal moments in the book.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Tree Bucket posted:

It really did.

It occurs to me God Emperor of Dune could go full full “gently caress you” to WB’s face just like The Matrix Resurrections and still be true to the books.

Leto: Moneo! Things have changed. The market's tough. I'm sure you can understand why our beloved parent company, Warner Brothers, has decided to make a sequel to the trilogy.
Moneo: lord?
Leto: They informed me they're gonna to do it with or without us.
Moneo: uh…. yes, lord. The new Duncan gh…
Leto: that's the thing about stories... they never really end do they?

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

breadshaped posted:

The Hapsburg line is secure, Reverend Mother :gonk:

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

E: nm

Unrelated question: At the beginning of the movie, when the Harkonnen troops are landing and the Fremen scatter, does Stilgar tell Paul and Jessica to "stay here"? If so, why? The Harkonnens are coming and Stilgar does want Paul and Jessica back at the sietch, so why encourage them to stay put and presumably get killed?

Cognac McCarthy fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Apr 9, 2024

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Unrelated question: At the beginning of the movie, when the Harkonnen troops are landing and the Fremen scatter, does Stilgar tell Paul and Jessica to "stay here"?

I thought that too. Charitable reading; he was testing them to see if they'd take the initiative. Uncharitable reading; poor writing.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

The Harkonnens outgun the Fremen. He needs the element of surprise and can't have two newbies accidentally giving away the group's position. They drew away the Harks to the tower with the thumper anyways and should have been able to kill them all up there, they didn't perhaps because their bear fighter just got killed by an offworlder.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I felt like the bigger problem was that Zendaya and Chalamet had zero chemistry. That coupled with what Butterfly Valley was saying about Chani turning into the audiences outlet on the distrust of Paul it felt like the movie Chani was an indignant party moreso than the love aspect that drove Paul to keep her as a true wife/concubine while still marrying the princess.

I think they're both fine actors in their own right but this rise to power story didn't quite fit their acting styles.

The movie also felt kind of rushed so I had a problem with Batista and Christopher Walken's portrayals simply because they didn't get enough screen time to fully develop. Batista's yell acting fell short because we didn't get to see enough examples of him being a toothless bully and tyrant before he gets ripped apart by the Fremen insurgency. Kind of felt like he just showed up, yelled, and got his rear end kicked. Walken's cadence and accent was too jarring but might have been able to work if there was more intrigue scenes around him. Same with his warriors. I understand that the bulk of the book and movie should be devoted to Paul's ascension but it made Walken's portrayal seem weak by barely having him do anything other than show up to Arrakis. If I wasn't aware of the story I would think that Paul glided into power instead of having accomplished a huge feat due to his enemies being portrayed so weak.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'd go so far as to say that Alec Newman and Barbora Kodetová had more chemistry as a loving married couple than either film adaptation. Spending more time with them, including the subplot of losing their first son, and including the whole Messiah narrative probably has a lot to do with that.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cognac McCarthy posted:

E: nm

Unrelated question: At the beginning of the movie, when the Harkonnen troops are landing and the Fremen scatter, does Stilgar tell Paul and Jessica to "stay here"? If so, why? The Harkonnens are coming and Stilgar does want Paul and Jessica back at the sietch, so why encourage them to stay put and presumably get killed?

It’s a feint (within a feint (within a feint))

Joking aside, it is a pretty simple bait/flank tactic.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Just back from watching this at IMAX, blew me away. 2 and a half hours and not once did I have the urge to look away from the screen. Had to pee about one hour in and held that sucker in til the end of the movie, it was that good. Part two is making it into my top ten list, what a beautiful movie. Towards the end, I started to get a bit jarred by all the quick cuts, especially when they were going south to that temple place.

Overall though, wow. I can't wait for the third movie, this is gonna become my very own LOTR trilogy and I cannot wait for future me to be able to binge all three back to back.

I was wondering how the Fremen were sniping Hark soldiers so well, I'd not seen them using weapons other than swords in the previous movie. And to make sure I understood it right, once Paul and the Fremen teamed up, they started wreaking havoc on Hark's spice harvesting operations, because of Paul's knowledge of how Hark's operate? Whereas before this teaming up, the Fremen weren't able to inflict this level of disruption on the harvesting capability?

I loving loved this movie drat I want to rewatch it.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 10, 2024

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Qubee posted:

I was wondering how the Fremen were sniping Hark soldiers so well, I'd not seen them using weapons other than swords in the previous movie. And to make sure I understood it right, once Paul and the Fremen teamed up, they started wreaking havoc on Hark's spice harvesting operations, because of Paul's knowledge of how Hark's operate? Whereas before this teaming up, the Fremen weren't able to inflict this level of disruption on the harvesting capability?

the opening scene of part one has them nuking Harks with lasguns (and then getting blown up) but that Atreides knowledge gained by centuries of conflict had to have helped a lil bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Im Paul's prescience is also a huge part of it but the movie could stand to be more explicit on this point. In the book a lot of the increase in fremen effectiveness comes down to Paul and Jessica teaching them Bene Gesserit fighting techniques sometimes called "the weirding way" which combined with the Fremen's natural skills and produced an insanely effective fighting force but I don't think you could have fit that in the movie without grinding the pacing to a halt