Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

when did marc gasol die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

The stars are aligning for giannis to demand a trade to the spurs in 2-3 years

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Lockback posted:

They are a worse defensive team, which is also not a surprise. They replaced Jrue (a ++ defender at guard, and one of the rare PGs who moves the needle since he can guard most players on the floor) and Ted Cruz who was a pretty solid defender for Dame (Real Bad) and Malik Beasley (secretly maybe worse than Dame considering he is expected to defend better players typically). Brook Lopez is also not the same guy he was last year at this end at all.

When did Ted Cruz become a hooper

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
He plays for The Suns.

He's a piece of poo poo.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Hell of a shooter though

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Hell of a shooter though

Just like his Grandpa's buddy, ol' Lee Harvey

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Hell of a shooter though

Best shooter in the Bay Area until Steph Curry showed up

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Shocker

Should have been automatically reviewed and deemed a flagrant.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
as much as i like the Orlando Magic, teams like them lose 4-1 in the first round these days.
Maybe they’ll change the paradigm.

also lockback good buxks post

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

You may want to mute but it’s always a amusing to watch someone scream about Doc being horrible and Dame being horrible on defense

https://youtu.be/AdQF4mdY1Is?si=rHSBrRCkY3vVyGft

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.
I like doc rivers now because I hate the guy shouting in that video more

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

slave to my cravings posted:

I like doc rivers now because I hate the guy shouting in that video more

I told you to mute!

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Dejan Bimble posted:

as much as i like the Orlando Magic, teams like them lose 4-1 in the first round these days.
Maybe they’ll change the paradigm.

also lockback good buxks post

It would be kinda funny if Orlando/Philly was a 2/7 because if you told someone at the beginning of the season that they’d say “oh that makes sense” until you tell them which team is the 2 and which is the 7

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Lockback posted:

The bucks are objectively a much better offensive team this year, this isn't a surprise as that is what Dame brings even if he is having a down year. If nothing else, the gravity and attention Dame generates is going to make the Bucks better at basketball.

They are a worse defensive team, which is also not a surprise. They replaced Jrue (a ++ defender at guard, and one of the rare PGs who moves the needle since he can guard most players on the floor) and Ted Cruz who was a pretty solid defender for Dame (Real Bad) and Malik Beasley (secretly maybe worse than Dame considering he is expected to defend better players typically). Brook Lopez is also not the same guy he was last year at this end at all.

They were a better offensive team under Griffin, and have dipped with Doc but even JUST Doc's numbers their offense is better. They're about average right now on defense, because they were TERRIBLE with Griffin but Doc has them playing top-10ish defense and that's averaged out to just about median for the year.

There's something to be said because I think the defense of the Griffin Bucks was fatally flawed, and for a team with championship aspirations its probably better to be a lower seed but better defense. But they're probably just a worse team on top of that. They're good enough to beat just about any of the 4-10 teams in the first round but watch them catch a surging 76ers team. I'd like to see a Cavs/Bucks 2nd round series as I think that'd actually be really good.

Counter argument: They won a title already with that core. And the team was at that point better than their title team by the numbers. It wasn’t like they went to the conference finals and got the door blown off of them by a superior offense, they got into playoffs and had a rash of injuries including to Giannis.

Maybe you could make the argument they should have traded for someone less injury prone but they did the opposite.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

The Maestro posted:

Shocker

Should have been automatically reviewed and deemed a flagrant.

He got ball first. Svi is innocent.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Rick posted:

Counter argument: They won a title already with that core. And the team was at that point better than their title team by the numbers. It wasn’t like they went to the conference finals and got the door blown off of them by a superior offense, they got into playoffs and had a rash of injuries including to Giannis.

Maybe you could make the argument they should have traded for someone less injury prone but they did the opposite.

Oh, I think "They should have held pat" is totally justified, but I think the team Adrian Griffin was running (this season) was very very flawed, even if it was a team that would have finished with more wins I think their defense would clamp a low ceiling on them. They absolutely should have just kept Bud, I think they'd be in a better spot and wouldn't be paying 3 coaches and one of those wouldn't be Doc Rivers.

Keeping Jrue is super defensible (I mean, it's worked out great for Boston), but ultimately if Giannis said "I'll re-sign if you get Dame, I won't if you keep don't" means that's not even a thing worth considering.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Is Charles Lee just a terrible interview or what, I feel like he’s been the next guy up for the last five years and it’s never happened and now he’s apparently the next guy up in Charlotte

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

morestuff posted:

Is Charles Lee just a terrible interview or what, I feel like he’s been the next guy up for the last five years and it’s never happened and now he’s apparently the next guy up in Charlotte

The Wolves had an assistant like that under Flip for a long time and then he finally got a head coaching job and was terrible so it might just be that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm going to run the playin/playoff prediction thread again, quick couple asks:

1. Everyone good with the current format? Want more crazy questions that might skew winners or keep it more or less how it is?

2. If anyone has good ideas for bonus questions let me know. I'm kinda cycling the same bunch so interested in getting more ideas. Ideally questions should have multiple likely answers or have a good odds where they can be worth different points.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I’m gonna be in Minneapolis for the first week of the playoffs so i pulled the trigger on a ticket to Game 2 even though there’s a non-zero chance that they play Monday before I arrive

So I’m cheering for them to be the 1 seed so they can’t play on the first Saturday. Also so I have a good chance of seeing LeBron, Steph or Keegan Murray.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Lockback posted:

Keeping Jrue is super defensible (I mean, it's worked out great for Boston)

Jrue's working out great for Boston because he doesn't need to be an offensive contributor given the weapons the Celtics already have.

With Middleton's injury issues, he was being asked last year to both guard the best perimeter guy on the opposing team and carry some of the offense. Not really his fault, but that's asking too much of him and that meant the Bucks were realistically capped in how far they could go with that lineup.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

DC Murderverse posted:

I’m gonna be in Minneapolis for the first week of the playoffs so i pulled the trigger on a ticket to Game 2 even though there’s a non-zero chance that they play Monday before I arrive

So I’m cheering for them to be the 1 seed so they can’t play on the first Saturday. Also so I have a good chance of seeing LeBron, Steph or Keegan Murray.

Nice! If you need to unload that ticket hit me up. I'm looking at Game 1 but would take a decent deal on Game 2 tickets.

Mean Baby
May 28, 2005

Acting like the Bucks are already eliminated might be a bit premature

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

really enjoying the schedule quirk where the bulls are only playing the knicks for the rest of the season.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

nikosoft posted:

Basically, yes, and that's not fair to Sasha that he is expected to save the season because every one other than Sabonis is wildly inconsistent from game to game, and Mike Brown thinks the solution to this is The Chris Duarte Experience.

I truly love Sasha btw, he is so consistly in the wrong place on the court on defense that he forces all sorts of wacky turnovers because no one expects him to be lumbering around in the middle of the passing lanes like that. And at least he genuinely attempts to crash the boards, even if it's in a slow, stumbling way that looks like a baby giraffe trying to walk for the first time.

I was actually kidding about Sasha being the reason, but you are totally right about the turnovers he is forcing. He looks so lost out there and the fact that he has not gotten any more in tempo with the NBA is really odd. It looks like he has never practiced with the team or something and is just playing a pick up game.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
It’s gonna be insane when Guero Allen gets a podcast after he retires and suddenly people like him.

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Bismack Billabongo posted:

It’s gonna be insane when Guero Allen gets a podcast after he retires and suddenly people like him.

Oh no

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

https://x.com/underdog__nba/status/1776747237650927748?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This has to be in the running for the worst lineup top to bottom of all time, right?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

DC Murderverse posted:

https://x.com/underdog__nba/status/1776747237650927748?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This has to be in the running for the worst lineup top to bottom of all time, right?

The bobcat and 76ers have done worse

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Lockback posted:

I'm going to run the playin/playoff prediction thread again, quick couple asks:

1. Everyone good with the current format? Want more crazy questions that might skew winners or keep it more or less how it is?

2. If anyone has good ideas for bonus questions let me know. I'm kinda cycling the same bunch so interested in getting more ideas. Ideally questions should have multiple likely answers or have a good odds where they can be worth different points.

I like the current format. Brain totally empty but will let you know if I think of something

DC Murderverse posted:

It would be kinda funny if Orlando/Philly was a 2/7 because if you told someone at the beginning of the season that they’d say “oh that makes sense” until you tell them which team is the 2 and which is the 7
that would be kinda funny

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

DC Murderverse posted:

There were a few terrible ones in the Kobe injury years, I seem to recall they had one game with 7 players and Chris Kaman fouled out and just stretched out on the entire bench

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
The blazers put up some late season no dame lineups in years past that would match with that grizz crew.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The concept of "scottie pippen jr" is doing enormous amounts of psychic damage to me

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Bismack Billabongo posted:

He's a Dukie that looks like "what if Eddie Munster could hoop." There's maybe a 5% chance he isn't a right-wing shithead.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
They don’t let you listen to frank ocean if you’re right wing. It’s in the liner notes

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

The concept of "scottie pippen jr" is doing enormous amounts of psychic damage to me

Is it just the idea that Scottie Pippen had sex or what?

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

I’ll never forget Scottie Junior, the only player to ever have to be teammates with someone confirmed to have hosed their mom

edit: well until lebron’s plan to play alongside his son comes to fruition, although the context is very different

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is it just the idea that Scottie Pippen had sex or what?

it makes me feel very old thanks for asking

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

R.D. Mangles posted:

Just wait until you hear about lebron james jr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

R.D. Mangles posted:

I assumed it had to be something else because, like, Kenyon Martin's kid is also around.

And Gary Payton