Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Pretty much. Trumps gonna rob them blind hook or crook and apparently a lot of gop state parties are out of money already. The gop is gonna get hollowed out and it’s gonna be interesting if they lose a ton of races(state or local) because they don’t have cash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Care to give some examples?

For "distinctly rural AND democrat", the ones I know talk about stuff like ensuring sustainable hunting, public access to ATV and dirtbike trails and lake beaches and areas to hunt in, keeping out the big chains to preserve local businesses, "responsible gun ownership" (as opposed to those lovely republicans who are cavlier with their guns, although the "responsible" gun owner who associated it with being a Democrat did still have a gun rack on his truck, again I don't know the details), running social services like shipping food out to old people stuck in their homes, one of them was big on unionization and "rural solidarity", loving with people who dumped trash and especially chemicals, and punishing people who broke the rules because "you're hurting all of us with your selfishesness", and being "pro-veteran" and taking care of military soldiers, taking care of the community, and being willing to invite someone who looks hungry over for dinner, and liking specific wrestlers more than other ones.

Not that none of this were actually policy stuff, this was stuff they associated with themselves, individually, as a rural Democrat, things they did or tried to do, and not things they expected politicians to do for them, but rather doing those things meant that of course they were gonna vote for the Dem because that was just another part of that culture. It meant things like putting some of their land under conservation or at least letting hikers access it (opposing themselves against the sort of folks who post NO TRESPASSING signs everyhwere). It also wasn't universal, but there was quite a bit of overlap.

I have no idea how representative these people are - it's only three people (one owns a roofing company, one was a fisherman, and I think the last one was in some sort of trade before he retired?) but that's the sense I got.

I also have no idea how to create a modern version of that sort of culture.

Discendo Vox posted:

No. The "sell" is not the same as addressing needs. It has already been demonstrated that the Democrats do in fact address needs for this demographic. Do not conflate the performance of fear and hate with actual policy.

What do you think the "needs" are for this demographic, exactly/

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Apr 6, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

His charges are not US charges

easily rectified, it's not like Romania has had a useful military since Vlad the Sensible

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Do you think Trump is just going to pay off Romania or something?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

Do you think Trump is just going to pay off Romania or something?

I was attempting to make a joke that we should invade it and make it the 51st state. My actual serious response is that Tate is hosed, Romania has him dead to rights and is also annoyed with his flight risk antics.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Byzantine posted:

Deep down, the root cause is economic anxiety. Unfortunately it is so buried under layers of bigotry and racism that directly addressing economic matters, while it would eventually fix the problem, will not immediately fix the problem and will not be hailed as a liberator by the fascist rurals.

Even if we could remove the layers of bigotry and racism, the current democratic party is incredibly stubborn about holding onto the same economic solutions they implemented decades ago. They refuse to listen to solutions offered by the left and cling on to the half-handed, means tested solutions born from the past century. It seems like a miracle we even got the PPACA at all, and look how difficult it is for Biden to push for student loan forgiveness even without republican stonewalling and their takeover of the judicial system.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's very funny that he was somehow able to get out of prison into house arrest, but was then stupid enough to blab to another Chud streamer that he was going to try and leave the country which got him rearrested.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I haven't read the white rural rage book but it sounds like another version of "land doesn't vote". Rural white people are more likely to be MAGA Republicans than the average American, but most of the MAGA Republicans live in metropolitan areas because those are where people live. I don't think rural white people are any more enraged than you would expect from how Republican they are.

Business owners who live in major cities or their suburbs but self-identify as rural because they own a truck are psychos though.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Goatse James Bond posted:

I was attempting to make a joke that we should invade it and make it the 51st state. My actual serious response is that Tate is hosed, Romania has him dead to rights and is also annoyed with his flight risk antics.

I guess USA was built on a Roman model. But then it would become USAnia.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Mustang posted:

What do people think about how Democrats should engage with rural Americans? I ask because of this article in Politico: What Liberals Get Wrong About ‘White Rural Rage’ — Almost Everything.

It's a response to a book that came out recently titled White Rural Rage (which I haven't read). Basically, the Politico article argues that it's resentment and not rage that rural white Americans are feeling and why they turn to Republicans who play to those fears. He even acknowledges that Democrats often enact policies that benefit rural Americans far more often than Republicans do but get little credit for doing so from rural people.

The article doesn't really give any real recommendations on how Democrats should change the way they engage with rural America other than essentially to "do better".

Half of my family are Trump voting rural white Americans. As the article mentions, something like 20-30% of rural Americans do in fact vote for Democrats. But the 2/3 that vote GOP? They're racist, sexist, homophobic, transphobic, xenophobic. Whatever types of bigot are out there, you can find one among them. And that 20-30% that vote Democrat are politically impotent.

What really irks me about this article is that it wants Democrats to coddle rural white Americans and treat them with kid gloves. The GOP is gleefully attacking and stripping away the rights of minorities in the states they control, and we're supposed to turn the other cheek and treat these people with compassion?

I just don't have it in me to kiss the asses of people that would eagerly inflict harm upon my friends.

edit: the sad thing is, unless rural white Americans can stop being lovely people, this group is in my opinion a lost cause for Democrats to pursue.

The reason he doesn't suggest any real recommendations here is that what he describes here is a fundamentally unsolvable problem for a national party, and it's a lot easier to avoid directly confronting that head-on if he refuses to think it through to those natural conclusions and instead declares that it's someone else's job to figure it out.

When this article isn't just repeating different variations on "correlation != causation" over and over again, here's the kind of stuff he's saying:

quote:

Resentment, instead, asks us to consider how rural voters’ choices are frequently rooted in values and place-based identities that place a strong emphasis on self-reliance, local control and a profound sense of injustice regarding the lack of recognition for rural contributions to society.

There is no “mystery” to it. Rural Americans often prioritize their way of life over immediate economic gains that are often promised (and not always delivered) by policy solutions.

quote:

Taken as a whole, rural voters are not merely reacting against change — be it demographic or economic. They are actively seeking to preserve a sense of agency over their future and a continuity of their community’s values and social structures. Some might call this conservatism, but

quote:

For many rural residents, the solutions they seek may not always come neatly packaged as government policies, white papers or policy briefs pumped out of a campaign war room. I’ve found that resentments exist because self-reliance and local problem-solving is intrinsic to rural identity, and self-reliance is something by nature resistant to government policies emanating from Washington, D.C.

quote:

But rural resentment — that sense of place, the anxieties felt about one’s community, the deeply engrained feeling that urban America would erase rural ways of living if given the chance — that is a predictor of Trump support only in rural America.

quote:

It is also true that federal involvement has a tendency to irreparably change the character of many communities. The scars of federal tinkering — from land use policy to free trade agreements to dead-end retraining programs — are still very visible.

He'll occasionally mix in mentions of material concerns, but this is a theme that he Just Keeps Coming Back To: that rural communities fundamentally hate the federal government and do not want any kind of help from Washington DC, which just gets in the way of their "way of life". It's no wonder he doesn't have any suggestions for how the President of the United States could possibly resolve a resentment that could uncharitably be phrased as "gently caress da feds, we want our states' rights back and we want the gubbmint out of our business". If he's right (though, as I'm about to cover, he isn't necessarily right!), then he's basically saying that all the rurals want is tax cuts and deregulation and "their way of life" (something he stubbornly refuses to elaborate on) and they don't care whether they actually benefit from those things or not, and I'm not really sure how the Dems are supposed to appeal to that!

Of course, it's very worth pointing out that for all his complaints about how liberal academia doesn't know about rural voters, this assistant professor writing from an ivory tower in New England seems like he might be exaggerating his expertise a little bit! He claims that he lives in rural Maine, but Colby College is in a historically industrial area - one known for factories and mills, not vast fields of wheat and corn. Moreover, it's the second-largest city in Kennebec County, and less than 20 miles away from the capital of Maine (the largest city in Kennebec County). In addition, Maine also has the smallest minority population of any state (94% of the population is white), and the county he's writing from is even whiter than the Maine average (Kennebec County is 98% white!). It occurs to me that any experience and knowledge he's accumulated there might not be too informative about what the vast swathes of agricultural or ex-agricultural land in the South and the US interior might think! On top of that, he only moved there a few years ago, so it's not like he has deep personal knowledge of rural America.

If anything, he reminds me painfully of the people who'd move from New England down to Florida or Texas and start wearing big boots and cowboy hats everywhere, talking about how they love to go to the gun range at every opportunity, and so on. They're not Southerners, but they're in love with the idea of being Southern, as filtered to them through the lens of media. I'm feeling the same spirit off this - it's not that he has a deep understanding of rural America, it's that he has a deep love for the rural lifestyle and for the people he's met there, and he wants the people in his social and professional circles to stop talking bad about them.

And as much as he likes to point to poll numbers and criticize other people's polling, I notice that he doesn't cite any polling for his resentment narrative. He relies heavily on polls and studies when arguing that others are wrong about what motivates rural voters, but when he turns to what he thinks motivates rural voters, he's suddenly not citing any more numbers! He puts plenty of effort into trying to prove others wrong, but he doesn't seem to try very hard to prove himself right!

On top of that, while reading it again to confirm that last bit, I noticed something else important: not only does he not have any suggestions for how Democrats should appeal to rural voters, he doesn't even seem to have any idea how Republicans managed to appeal to rural voters! He claims that the entire motivating factor behind all his research was to determine how rural areas became attracted to Republicans, but at no point in this article does he ever suggest any cause. Nor does he talk much about how Democrats managed to lose rural areas, aside from vague references to "a collective grievance against experts, bureaucrats, intellectuals and the political party that seeks to empower them, Democrats". Doesn't exactly sound like grade-A analysis to me.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

James Garfield posted:

I haven't read the white rural rage book but it sounds like another version of "land doesn't vote". Rural white people are more likely to be MAGA Republicans than the average American, but most of the MAGA Republicans live in metropolitan areas because those are where people live. I don't think rural white people are any more enraged than you would expect from how Republican they are.

Business owners who live in major cities or their suburbs but self-identify as rural because they own a truck are psychos though.

Problem is thanks to the senate land does, in fact, vote :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

James Garfield posted:

Mark Ames, despite and perhaps because he was a horrible person, basically nailed this issue in 2004; twenty years later and I have yet to see a better analysis.

quote:

It came on suddenly and without warning. gently caress the Democrats. gently caress the liberals. I hope Bush wins. I hope Bush steals another election and urinates into everyone’s wounds…

This interior rant lasted for a good five minutes before I snapped out of it. The realization that some pro-Republican sentiment lurks inside of me was enough to make me want to stick my head in the oven. Or throw myself out the window like the possessed priest at the end of The Exorcist.

. . .

And this leads to another truth that the left still has trouble understanding: Millions of Americans, particularly white males, don’t vote for what’s in their so-called best interests. Thomas Frank recently attacked this riddle in his new book What’s the Matter with Kansas? but he fails to answer his own question. He can’t, in fact, because his is a flawed premise. Frank, who is at his best when he’s vicious, makes the same old error of falling back on the comforting lie that Middle Americans are actually innocent victims in all this, duped by an evil corporate-political machine that subtly but masterfully manipulates the psychological levers of cultural backlash, implying that if average Americans were left to their own devices, they would somehow make entirely rational, enlightened choices and elect sensible New Deal Democrats every time.

This puts Frank in a logical bind he never quite gets out of. Like all lefties, he is incapable of taking his ruthless analysis beyond a certain point—a point that considers the most obvious question no one has the guts to ask: “What if Americans don’t want to be enlightened? What if they’re a bunch of mean, miserable hicks as hostile to enlightened thinking as they are to the possibility of free, quality health care?”

The reason he can’t go there is simple: the entire left-progressive edifice, built on a Spielbergian caricature of decent honest Americana, collapses once they’re humanized.

The underlying major premise of humanist-leftist ideology assumes that people are intrinsically sympathetic, reasonable and fair, and are only spoiled by nefarious outside influences. But if you allow that tens of millions of Americans are defiantly mean and craven and defiantly ignorant, the humanist-left construct loses its purpose and self-destructs. “Why the gently caress should I bother fighting for Middle Americans,” they ask, “if they’re just as loathsome, in their own petty way, as their exploiters, with whom they actively collaborate?”

. . .

This is why all the talk about “personal interests” is a sham, a delusion that the left needs to get over. Spite voters don’t care solely about their own rational economic interests, nor are they bothered by how “the left talks as if they know what everyone’s best interests are,” an argument you often hear from the whiney right. What bothers the Spite-ists is that the left really does know what’s in their interests. If you’re miserable, you don’t want to be told what’s best for you by someone who’s correct–it’s sort of like being occupied by a foreign army with good intentions. You’d rather gently caress things up on your own, something you’re quite good at, and bring others down with you—than live with the shame of having been helped by someone more decent and talented than you.

Spite voting is mostly a white male phenomenon, which is why a majority of white males vote Republican. It comes from a toxic mix of thwarted expectations, cowardice, shame, and a particular strain of anomie that is unique to the white American male experience.

. . .

All we have to do is drive home the obvious to Americans:

There’s a class war going on, like Warren Buffett says, and they’re kicking your asses every time and laughing all the way to the bailed-out bank—just in time for the bank to foreclose on your house! Americans don’t have tea parties, we have bar-b-ques for gently caress’s sake, and we drink Coke or beer. “Tea Party”—what’s next, the “Vienna Ball” protest movement? Hundreds of thousands of “Viennaballers” in Mozart costumes hitting the streets demanding hereditary titles for our billionaires? Suck up to them all you want to, they’ll still despise you. They have yachts and airplanes and mansions all over the world and children who will never see a bill or worry about a single thing beyond remembering their servants’ names– and it’s all thanks to robbing you and your family blind. No poo poo you’re angry! You have every reason to be angry!

https://exiledonline.com/we-the-spiteful/

the root cause is that a large fraction of Americans are horrible, awful people and so they vote for horrible, awful candidates because they want people like themselves in charge. Trump is those jackasses' avatar incarnate so they'll forgive him anything. There's not much to be done to fight that except to go full explicitly socialist and develop rhetoric that attacks the capitalist class as a class and republicans individually by making the case that they all deserve to get hosed and the democrats are here to gently caress them up. But the Democrats don't want to do that because their funding base is also capitalists.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Kith posted:

It's really not that hard, most of these folks just want to be left alone and allowed to maintain their "traditions". Frame Dem policy as doing less to gently caress things up than GOP policy and letting people live their own lives without interference and you'll get votes. As insane as it sounds, it's mostly just a culture thing - many of them don't care for policy talk at all and just vote based on vibes.

The Republican rural voters don't want to be left alone, or rather they interpret "being left alone" is having their want their "traditions" of racism, sexism, transphobia, homophobia, and all around general bigotry to be forced onto everyone else. You're right that they don't care about policy, but the vibes they are voting on is bigotry and hate and are thus unreachable by the Dems

Piell fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 7, 2024

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Discendo Vox posted:

No. The "sell" is not the same as addressing needs. It has already been demonstrated that the Democrats do in fact address needs for this demographic. Do not conflate the performance of fear and hate with actual policy.

There are more needs than material things. People have a need to feel like they are valued, respected, and matter to a broader society. That need also doesn't have to be met with a performance of fear and hate, in fact I'd say the opposite- the performance of fear and hate is successful because that need isn't being met.

If the Democrats "do in fact address needs for this demographic", they'd already be voting for you. What has been demonstrated is that Democrats address what they *think* the needs of this demographic are and this article says the demographic keeps telling you that isn't what they asked for.

Main Paineframe posted:

The reason he doesn't suggest any real recommendations here is that what he describes here is a fundamentally unsolvable problem for a national party, and it's a lot easier to avoid directly confronting that head-on if he refuses to think it through to those natural conclusions and instead declares that it's someone else's job to figure it out.

When this article isn't just repeating different variations on "correlation != causation" over and over again, here's the kind of stuff he's saying:

He'll occasionally mix in mentions of material concerns, but this is a theme that he Just Keeps Coming Back To: that rural communities fundamentally hate the federal government and do not want any kind of help from Washington DC, which just gets in the way of their "way of life". It's no wonder he doesn't have any suggestions for how the President of the United States could possibly resolve a resentment that could uncharitably be phrased as "gently caress da feds, we want our states' rights back and we want the gubbmint out of our business". If he's right (though, as I'm about to cover, he isn't necessarily right!), then he's basically saying that all the rurals want is tax cuts and deregulation and "their way of life" (something he stubbornly refuses to elaborate on) and they don't care whether they actually benefit from those things or not, and I'm not really sure how the Dems are supposed to appeal to that!

The Republicans win elections there and they're as much a national party as the Democrats. There's a strong current of localism throughout the article, but I don't see any reason why that's an unsolveable problem for Democrats. If anything, leaning into it should be easy since the American system was built on devolution of power.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Dopilsya posted:

If the Democrats "do in fact address needs for this demographic", they'd already be voting for you. What has been demonstrated is that Democrats address what they *think* the needs of this demographic are and this article says the demographic keeps telling you that isn't what they asked for.

""dems are gonna look themselves in the mirror, take a deep breath and tell themselves 'we gotta get more racist'""

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

""dems are gonna look themselves in the mirror, take a deep breath and tell themselves 'we gotta get more racist'""

So according to you, 75 million of your countrymen have no motivation, thought, or creed beyond "racism" that could possibly be appealed to. Well I suppose that's a good demonstration of why you can't win an election.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Dopilsya posted:

So according to you, 75 million of your countrymen have no motivation, thought, or creed beyond "racism" that could possibly be appealed to. Well I suppose that's a good demonstration of why you can't win an election.

They are other flavors of bigot too, but yeah. A large majority of Trump supporters primarily care about hating their enemies, which is anyone who is not exactly like them

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dopilsya posted:

I mean, Trump voters know what they're voting for. It's not like he's hiding his power level.

You don't beat fascists by giving them what they want.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Piell posted:

They are other flavors of bigot too, but yeah. A large majority of Trump supporters primarily care about hating their enemies, which is anyone who is not exactly like them

They primarily care about that right now. That doesn't mean they couldn't conceivably, primarily care about something else in the future, if the underlying motivating desires could be met in another way. Some portion of them are probably lost forever, but it is still worth winning over whoever is winnable, and especially winning over people who are still young and have many possible paths they could go down.

You don't beat fascists by giving them what they want.

You genuinely have no idea what these people actually want, though, so how could you possibly know?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 7, 2024

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I mean the problem some of these areas are going to have is that places like Arizona or Georgia or Virginia as they urbanize will become more "liberal" and they write their own irrelevance.

It should be said that the Democrats reached out during 2016 and said we'll get you funding for retraining, we'll reinvest in these coal towns, we'll do more on heroin treatment and all you have to do is accept is women and people of color maybe your equals.

It will require a massive investment in organizing to even have a chance to flip things in these areas.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

GlyphGryph posted:

They primarily care about that right now. That doesn't mean they couldn't conceivably, primarily care about something else in the future, if the underlying motivating desires could be met in another way. Some portion of them are probably lost forever, but it is still worth winning over whoever is winnable, and especially winning over people who are still young and have many possible paths they could go down.

You genuinely have no idea what these people actually want, though, so how could you possibly know?

We do know what they want, they want to enforce their bigotry onto others. It's you, in fact, who is refusing to listen to them and patronizing them and insisting that actually they want something different

Democrats do things that help rural voters all the time! It doesn't matter to Trumpists because they just care about hate

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

GlyphGryph posted:

I mean, I do. So do you. We all know what they want. They want Trump. They want their perceived enemies to suffer. They want to stay angry all the time and afraid the rest because they watch Fox News all drat day and it's rotted their brains. We all know Trump supporters and none of them are shy about saying what they want, it's just hard to believe what they say because it's so bigoted and moronic and spiteful.

People keep doing Trump Diner Safaris because it's too hard to admit to ourselves that Trump voters are just horrible people with goals in opposition to an open society and they must be fought, not persuaded.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Rural voters correctly realize their living conditions are decaying, but then decide to blame the gays and birth control culture war bullshit for these problems instead of the business ghouls backing the Republicans they vote for, or

To make a minor but critical distinction here, rural-identified white people are incredibly sensitive to the idea that that their material conditons/social positions relative to the outgroup are decaying. It wouldn't meaningfully change anything if everyone was moving up, as long as the people they don't identify with were moving up faster than those they did. By definition, anyone else rising up means they are being pulled down.

LBJ posted:

“If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.”

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Piell posted:

We do know what they want, they want to enforce their bigotry onto others.

Don't confuse what they are doing with what they want. Do you really think those things are particularly related? Have you had no experience with, like, actual, real human beings, ever?

The vast majority of people haven't the slightest clue in hell of what they want. The closest they come is pursuit of something similar to whatever in the past made them feel some inkling of an idea that this might be is. There's no actual understanding beneath it.

Sure, as they age, that might ossify, like wagons wearing ruts in the ground, that it effectively becomes what they want, but very few people are like "poo poo, I've thought through all the options, and you know, being a huge racist is definitely the right life choice for me and the best way accomplish my personal goals and fulfill my personal desires".

Racism is a solution, a tool, a method for getting something else, that is sold to people, instilled in them (and not accidentally, either), it's not some intrinsic, immutable birth defect like how you're treating it.

I mean, I do. So do you. We all know what they want. They want Trump. They want their perceived enemies to suffer. They want to stay angry all the time and afraid the rest because they watch Fox News all drat day and it's rotted their brains. We all know Trump supporters and none of them are shy about saying what they want, it's just hard to believe what they say because it's so bigoted and moronic and spiteful.

People keep doing Trump Diner Safaris because it's too hard to admit to ourselves that Trump voters are just horrible people with goals in opposition to an open society and they must be fought, not persuaded.

We seem to be having a miscommunication based on a difference in understanding between terminal and instrumental desires. There is a difference between wanting something simply because you want it and wanting something because you think it will give you something you want. You get that that difference matters, right?

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Apr 7, 2024

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

GlyphGryph posted:

Don't confuse what they are doing with what they want. Do you really think those things are particularly related? Have you had no experience with, like, actual, real human beings, ever?

The vast majority of people haven't the slightest clue in hell of what they want. The closest they come is pursuit of something similar to whatever in the past made them feel some inkling of an idea that this might be is. There's no actual understanding beneath it.

Sure, as they age, that might ossify, like wagons wearing ruts in the ground, that it effectively becomes what they want, but very few people are like "poo poo, I've thought through all the options, and you know, being a huge racist is definitely the right life choice for me and the best way accomplish my personal goals and fulfill my personal desires".

Racism is a solution, a tool, a method for getting something else, that is sold to people, instilled in them (and not accidentally, either), it's not some intrinsic, immutable birth defect like how you're treating it.

You're right, it is not an intrinsic immutable birth defect. You're right, they have no understanding of what they actually want! The problem you're overlooking is that they've already decided to ignore facts and evidence and actual policy, and instead focus on hating anyonewho isn't like them.

Trump voters are not a loving mystery! There is no secret good policy that will get them to vote for democrats! Dems are the enemy, the ones who are replacing good white folk like you with millions of illegals and forcing your kids to be gay trans people who love to abort their already born babies and want to make every black homeless woman a pilot with no training.

Racism and other forms of bigotry is indeed a tool, and its the tool they have welded to their hands in order to try to reinforce their position in the hierarchy and you can't reason or policy position your way into getting them to vote for you because they don't actually give a poo poo about that, they just want to hurt anyone who isn't them and stop them from getting out from under their boot

If you want to actually reach rural people, go for the unactivated voters who aren't locked in on Trump, hell go for the neverTrumpers if you want! Trumpism is based in spite and hatred, and is actively opposed to evidence and reason and having actual policies.

Piell fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 7, 2024

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Piell posted:

Trump voters are not a loving mystery! There is no secret good policy that will get them to vote for democrats! Dems are the enemy, the ones who are replacing good white folk like you with millions of illegals and forcing your kids to be gay trans people who love to abort their already born babies and want to make every black homeless woman a pilot with no training.

I agree, they aren't. Which is why it's so mindboggling how thorough your commitment seemingly is to not understand them in the slightest, which this paragraph makes weirdly, abundantly clear in ways you also seem ignorant of.

Of course there's no secret good policy that will get them to vote for Democrats. Gee willikers, you're acting as if that's a relevation, but the only reason I can imagine you saying that is because you fundamentally do not, in any sense, remotely understand what are very, very easy people to understand.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dopilsya posted:

The Republicans win elections there and they're as much a national party as the Democrats. There's a strong current of localism throughout the article, but I don't see any reason why that's an unsolveable problem for Democrats. If anything, leaning into it should be easy since the American system was built on devolution of power.

I think you completely missed my point, which is two things:
  1. The President of the United States of America, the leader of the federal executive branch, is basically incapable of running on localism. The guy who's running to be head of the federal government can't run on "the federal government isn't going to do anything". Even Trump doesn't run on that - he's got lots of ideas for things the federal government should be doing.

2. The above means that his claimed motivations for rural voters cannot possibly explain why Republicans are winning rural voters and Democrats aren't, unless there's something more that he's not saying.

And indeed, the more I read from this guy, the more feel that he actually has no loving idea why Republicans are performing better among rural voters than Democrats are. Just look at some of the other poo poo he's saying during the press tour for his new book:

quote:

After crunching the survey data, you identify place-based grievance and anxiety as the strongest indicators of being a rural voter. What is place-based anxiety or grievance, and why is it so important?

Jacobs: Demographic indicators do not do that good of a job [of identifying rural voters] compared to values. … When you ask questions about the community: Is your community better off? Will your kids have to leave your community in order to live a productive life? Are politicians listening to the needs of your community? That is a distinguishing feature of ruralness. Rural people are thinking about their rural communities in a different way. Suburbanites and urbanites are not thinking about that.

In the book you talk about a few case studies of Democratic lawmakers who over-performed in rural areas, such as Reps. Jared Golden in Maine, Marie Gluesenkamp Perez in Washington state and Tim Ryan in Ohio. Why were those candidates successful in beating some of the trends you lay out elsewhere in the book?

Jacobs: If rural identity is an identity that has significant values in the mind of rural people, then what you are talking about here is identity politics. And we know that in identity politics, that candidates, especially the background and the persona of the candidate, is especially important in that type of environment. It’s hard, if not impossible, to fake your identity and it’s really easy to screw that up. … So, this comes down to candidate selection. This comes down to identifying good Democrats in that local community that can speak to that community’s history and particularized sense of place.

Donald Trump won large majorities among rural voters in 2016 and 2020. What explains a Manhattan billionaire’s strong appeal in rural America?

Jacobs: You have to get beyond Trump’s persona. You have to look beyond this idea that Trump is a typical Manhattanite. I think that’s where people try to carve out this disconnection: How could this billionaire living in his Manhattan skyscraper identify with these people? But the truth of the matter is he never pretended to be a rural person. He didn’t go around making a whole to-do about being born in Scranton like Joe Biden or chumming up with coal miners like Hillary Clinton. It made him not authentically rural, but authentic as a non-typical politician. And when he would speak about rural issues, like taking pride in mining coal, it was more empathy than anything. … A politician or a leader like Trump doesn’t necessarily have to pretend to be rural to play into rural identity politics. Just like progressives on the left don’t have to be a certain demographic to speak the language of identity politics.

What would be your advice to Democrats who want to start winning again in rural America?

Shea: The question is, can Joe Biden make inroads in rural America? He’s got a concerted effort and programs to reach out to rural America, but will it work? Our argument has been that economic programs of this sort are more likely to work if they are particularized, if they’re about that specific industry. … The voters have to believe that Joe Biden, the federal government and the Congress really understands what is happening here. Just sweeping your hand and saying, ‘we’re bringing you broadband,’ is not going to cut it.

Just look at how often they contradict themselves even in these few questions, and how hard they avoid giving direct answers to these questions. I absolutely do not get the impression that these guys actually have any idea what they're talking about. It just reminds me of the late-wave Trump Safari trend, where the endless lineup of reporters touring Midwestern diners gave way to self-proclaimed Rural Explainers like JD Vance buying themselves 15 minutes of fame by writing tell-all books about ruralness that ivory tower folks could prominently display on their bookshelves to show that they were more informed about the unique rural mentality than their peers.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Dopilsya posted:

There are more needs than material things. People have a need to feel like they are valued, respected, and matter to a broader society. That need also doesn't have to be met with a performance of fear and hate, in fact I'd say the opposite- the performance of fear and hate is successful because that need isn't being met.

You are painfully avoiding articulating what these "needs" are. You are avoiding articulating these needs and also ignoring the multiple explanations already provided that are anchored in actual messaging or explanation, which shows that the motivating factor is in fact the performance of fear, hate, and spite.

Dopilsya posted:

If the Democrats "do in fact address needs for this demographic", they'd already be voting for you.

I am not "the Democrats". The Democrats have already been demonstrated to be serving the needs, the actual falsifiable empirically extant needs of the demographic, to the point that the demographic is sometimes caught expressing entirely paradoxical beliefs based on attributing this need satisfaction to false sources.

Dopilsya posted:

What has been demonstrated is that Democrats address what they *think* the needs of this demographic are and this article says the demographic keeps telling you that isn't what they asked for.

The demographic does not in fact need an abortion ban or stonings. What they say they want is not needs.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Piell posted:

The Republican rural voters don't want to be left alone, or rather they interpret "being left alone" is having their want their "traditions" of racism, sexism, transphobia, homophobia, and all around general bigotry to be forced onto everyone else. You're right that they don't care about policy, but the vibes they are voting on is bigotry and hate and are thus unreachable by the Dems

it's this exact mindset that's causing the problem, hth

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Maybe if they stopped being bigots we would stop thinking that's what they are. Have they contemplated changing their behavior and being better human beings?

Or should we just ignore their hosed up beliefs?

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

Kith posted:

it's this exact mindset that's causing the problem, hth

What problem specifically is "the problem" and what is your proposed solution to that problem?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Piell posted:

Exactly. One of the things about these small, isolated communities is their inate distrust of anyone who isn't one of them. Race, creed, beliefs, orientation, etc..., if it isn't in ideological lockstep it's inherently distrusted. Which party better reflects what this base currently looks like and is going to look like going forward? Two guesses and the first doesn't count.

The ironic part is that Trump is someone who should fail that test with flying colors. Yet because he acts as an avatar of grievance he becomes someone they can live vicariously through; he's as nakedly ignorant, vulgar, and bigoted as they are. Add in that the Republican base has been conditoned to treat their leaders like a god and Trump becomes what they've wanted since Reagan. If Ronnie had been able to run a third time, both electorally and mentally, it would have been him again. Bush Sr. didn't have the charisma, Bush Jr. didn't have the wherewithal, McCain was too high class and missed his window though they did like his running mate, and Romney was too smooth and polished plus they'd never get past the whole Mormon bit. Trump welcomes the worship and give them explicit permission to give into their base instincts, which overrides everything else.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mustang posted:

Maybe if they stopped being bigots we would stop thinking that's what they are. Have they contemplated changing their behavior and being better human beings?

Or should we just ignore their hosed up beliefs?

Yeah the common refrain here seems to be that right wingers aren't responsible for their own horrendous beliefs, it is because the Dems didn't end capitalism that they are just forced to hate women and minorities. It seems a common argument that the only people with agency and who are responsible for their actions are the libs.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Piell posted:

If you want to actually reach rural people, go for the unactivated voters who aren't locked in on Trump, hell go for the neverTrumpers if you want! Trumpism is based in spite and hatred, and is actively opposed to evidence and reason and having actual policies.

Yeah even if a place is Trump+50 a fourth of the people there are already Democrats. The rural people who can be persuaded don't want mandatory genital inspections and think it was bad that Trump supporters stormed the capitol. There just aren't as many of them.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

FLIPADELPHIA posted:

What problem specifically is "the problem" and what is your proposed solution to that problem?

the problem is considering rural americans to be a lost cause because it's hip to carelessly paint them with broad strokes of various prejudices and speak of them as if they were lesser beings instead of realizing that they are just people that, with the proper messaging and outreach and respect, could become better. however it's much easier to give up on them because they're dumb hicks, which the democratic party has been doing for many generations, and the current situation is the result of that.

as for the proposed solution:

Kith posted:

It's really not that hard, most of these folks just want to be left alone and allowed to maintain their "traditions". Frame Dem policy as doing less to gently caress things up than GOP policy and letting people live their own lives without interference and you'll get votes. As insane as it sounds, it's mostly just a culture thing - many of them don't care for policy talk at all and just vote based on vibes.

learn their language and loving talk to them, just like any other constituent body.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

Kith posted:

the problem is considering rural americans to be a lost cause because it's hip to carelessly paint them with broad strokes of various prejudices and speak of them as if they were lesser beings instead of realizing that they are just people that, with the proper messaging and outreach and respect, could become better. however it's much easier to give up on them because they're dumb hicks, which the democratic party has been doing for many generations, and the current situation is the result of that.

as for the proposed solution:

learn their language and loving talk to them, just like any other constituent body.

Again, you're refusing to understand them. Their language, politically speaking, is anger and spite and bigotry. The claim that they "just want to be left alone" is laughably wrong in what it actually means . That is a catch-phrase for them, and what they mean by it is that they want to be allowed to be racist and sexist and anti-LGBT and anti-immigrant and that everyone should be forced to agree with them about it. That's what "being left alone" actually means to them. There is no "proper messaging and outreach and respect" that will reach Trumpists.

Also, there is a conflation between "rural American" and "Trumpists" going on in this thread that I would like to make more clear. There are plenty of rural people you can reach, but you can't reach Trumpists with "proper messaging and outreach and respect" because they don't actually care about policies, don't want outreach from someone who isn't exactly like them, and believe "respect" is complete deference to their hierarchy. You can absolutely reach left learning rural people and centrist rural people and even some right-wing rural people - but Trumpism is it's own thing and they're locked in and even in you could reach some small portion of them it would require giving up on everyone else in terms of effort and money and time and policy decision that is very much not worth it

Final Edit: Also, can you give like some concrete thing as how to reach them? You just keep going "there's some way to reach them, just talk like them!" Give me some concrete example of the method and message you think would reach Trumpists

Piell fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Apr 7, 2024

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Some reactionary sentiment is kinda inevitable in rural areas isolated from cosmopolitan cities but like, that's not the only interest they have. That is the one being exacerbated and exploited by a deliberate right wing media campaign. They're not orcs.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Piell posted:

Again, you're refusing to understand them. Their language, politically speaking, is anger and spite and bigotry. The claim that they "just want to be left alone" is laughably wrong in what it actually means . That is a catch-phrase for them, and what they mean by it is that they want to be allowed to be racist and sexist and anti-LGBT and anti-immigrant and that everyone should be forced to agree with them about it. That's what "being left alone" actually means to them. There is no "proper messaging and outreach and respect" that will reach Trumpists.

Also, there is a conflation between "rural American" and "Trumpists" going on in this thread that I would like to make more clear. There are plenty of rural people you can reach, but you can't reach Trumpists with "proper messaging and outreach and respect" because they don't actually care about policies, don't want outreach from someone who isn't exactly like them, and believe "respect" is complete deference to their hierarchy. You can absolutely reach left learning rural people and centrist rural people and even some right-wing rural people - but Trumpism is it's own thing and they're locked in and even in you could reach some small portion of them it would require giving up on everyone else in terms of effort and money and time and policy decision that is very much not worth it

Final Edit: Also, can you give like some concrete thing as how to reach them? You just keep going "there's some way to reach them, just talk like them!" Give me some concrete example of the method and message you think would reach Trumpists

In the interest of expediting any talking past each other that may be happening, I think when Kith says "learn their language," etc, etc, they're talking about the folks you mention in the bolded package, and not Trumpists. I think they are decrying the exact same conflation of "Trumpists" with "rural Americans" that you mention here.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Young Orc

fool of sound posted:

Some reactionary sentiment is kinda inevitable in rural areas isolated from cosmopolitan cities but like, that's not the only interest they have. That is the one being exacerbated and exploited by a deliberate right wing media campaign. They're not orcs.

Let's flip this in reverse - do you think there is any method that a Trump Republican could use to convince you to vote for him? Is there some policy argument or method of conversation that would convince you to vote for him without changing any of his policies towards trans people, asylum seekers, etc?

People don't have to be orcs to be unreachable by one group or another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I feel like it pretty much comes down to "you have to figure out how to stop letting people fund their own news networks to push whatever they want people to believe 24/7".

Also you have to actually call a spade a spade. I feel like people seriously underrate the degree to which people believe Republicans are ultimately just a normal political party at heart purely because there are no "serious" authority figures willing to call them out as a fascist cult and demand they be treated as one.