Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

everyone i know who has played the remake without having played those two games keeps asking me to explain to them what the gently caress is going on

i think if you go back a couple of pages in this thread you can find someone talking about how they played rebirth and had no idea what the gently caress was going on whenever zack was on screen

edit: i mean if you just ignore all of those parts then yeah, everything else makes enough sense but i don't think that undermines what i'm saying

Tell them to Play And Find Out. Stories often show things that will be explained later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

the zack segments are written to be confusing even if you've played all the FF7s ever.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

seiferguy posted:

Also, in the OG FF7, the flashback to Zack's final stand is optional and kind of out of the way to find it. You can only see it in disc 2 after Cloud gets better from his mako poisoning and head back to the Shinra Mansion.

It was such a shock stumbling on this because if you've already recruited Vincent, or if you didn't even know he existed way back when, there's no reason to revisit the Shinra mansion unless for some reason you really want the ???? Enemy Skill.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

DeadButDelicious posted:

It was such a shock stumbling on this because if you've already recruited Vincent, or if you didn't even know he existed way back when, there's no reason to revisit the Shinra mansion unless for some reason you really want the ???? Enemy Skill.

The flashback scene is probably most notable because of the backstory and because you have to go through Shinra Manor again, but there's quite a lot of things in VII you can miss because there's no real reason to go back to some places. Like Final Heaven (why would you go to Tifa's house), Premium Heart (why would you check that one shop), HP Shout (why would you climb Shinra HQ at the end of the game), etc.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

The flashback scene is probably most notable because of the backstory and because you have to go through Shinra Manor again, but there's quite a lot of things in VII you can miss because there's no real reason to go back to some places. Like Final Heaven (why would you go to Tifa's house), Premium Heart (why would you check that one shop), HP Shout (why would you climb Shinra HQ at the end of the game), etc.

The Premium Heart at least is something you'd probably get if you found the Midgar Key, but the Midgar Key itself is something you'd kind of have to go out of your way to find.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 6, 2024

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
OG FF7 is one of the worst mainline final fantasy games, mainly due to the shoddy presentation of the story.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

not even close.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

no

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

OG FF7 is one of the worst mainline final fantasy games, mainly due to the shoddy presentation of the story.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Dogpile them not for their spicy take, but for their inability to use [/timg]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Mordiceius posted:

The fact that it has a complete, coherent story at all puts it in the top half straight away.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think you'd need to justify why other FF games don't meet that requirement to even make that a lukewarm take.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lol nice av

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Speaking of how stories are presented, I actually really love the recap features in FFXVI. It's total overkill for that particular story, of course, because it's not very complicated. But the "pause any cutscene at any time for a reminder of who these people are, what they're talking about, and where they are talking about it" button by itself would have come in handy on every game I've ever taken an extended break from, and the NPC who can give you a recap of both geopolitical and interpersonal relations as of any major plot point is pure luxury. A huge step up over something like Xenoblade's affinity charts, and a model that I hope gets copied by other games, especially the sort that already attempt such things.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
:shrug: When it comes to FF games, 7 just happens to be near the bottom of my list. I don’t like the story. I don’t like the characters. I don’t find anything about it interesting or engaging. There are very few FF games I like less than FF7. (And to be fair, I haven’t played 2/3/4/5, though based on how people talk about them, I doubt I would rate 3/4/5 below 7.)

I just have never liked FF7. I’ve tried so many times but idk what it is about the game that I find no aspect of it exciting.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Saying you don't like it is quite a big difference than saying the story doesn't make sense as presented or whatever lol.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Likes writing desks but isn't like one.

Mordiceius posted:

:shrug: When it comes to FF games, 7 just happens to be near the bottom of my list. I don’t like the story. I don’t like the characters. I don’t find anything about it interesting or engaging. There are very few FF games I like less than FF7. (And to be fair, I haven’t played 2/3/4/5, though based on how people talk about them, I doubt I would rate 3/4/5 below 7.)

I just have never liked FF7. I’ve tried so many times but idk what it is about the game that I find no aspect of it exciting.

Which FF games do you rank below 7 that you have played?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Saying you don't like it is quite a big difference than saying the story doesn't make sense as presented or whatever lol.

I never said the story doesn’t make sense. I think the presentation sucks.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ravenson posted:

Which FF games do you rank below 7 that you have played?

Games I have played that I rank above FF7: 6, 8, 9, 10, 14, 16.

Games I haven’t played: 2, 3, 4, 5, 11, 15.

Games I would rank equal or below FF7: 12, 13.

Games I have trouble ranking at all: 1.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mordiceius posted:

the presentation is amazing :psyduck:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I agree that the presentation is somewhat lacking (in the sense that the translation can be a bit wonky), but that's kind of it

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

do you care to give any kind of specifics or are you expecting that your shocking and unorthodox opinion will be stunning enough to stand entirely on its own?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
lmao he puts 16 above 7

opinion discarded

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

Augus posted:

the presentation is amazing :psyduck:

I dunno, there's all these ugly 3D polygons where they could have just done traditional 2D pixel art.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ravenson posted:

I dunno, there's all these ugly 3D polygons where they could have just done traditional 2D pixel art.

the fact that the field models are not good is pretty thoroughly acknowledged, yeah

pixel art was not the answer, though, like FF8 and FF9 both have way better field models.

Ravenson
Feb 23, 2024

cock hero flux posted:

the fact that the field models are not good is pretty thoroughly acknowledged, yeah

pixel art was not the answer, though, like FF8 and FF9 both have way better field models.

I assure you I was just goofin.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

There's no main FF game besides maybe 14 that even come close to 7 in narrative quality honestly. The game's just got much more interesting ideas and character writing then pretty much everything else in the mainline numbered games. 9 and 10 are probably the only real competition besides 14.

RevolverDivider fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 6, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ff7 has basic field models but it uses them as well as the sprite based games. They could easily be better but they make them shocking expressive for how basic they are to the point they can carry the body language right over to Remake.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mordiceius posted:

aids

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Mordiceius posted:

There's more interesting presentation to cloud's mental breakdowns and the multiple internal dialogues he has than almost every other mainline ff game.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ApplesandOranges posted:

I would remember the HP Shout since it is something the game mentions and your character leaves it. Something your character refuses to steal for no reason.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Is there a way to go 2nd in queens blood? Seems that going first immediately puts one at a disadvantage.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Waltzing Along posted:

Is there a way to go 2nd in queens blood? Seems that going first immediately puts one at a disadvantage.
Usually you can just skip your first turn.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Raxivace posted:

Usually you can just skip your first turn.

:aaaaa:

That never occurred to me.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah passing your turn is a legitimate move in Queen's Blood and can be helpful sometimes

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Harrow posted:

Yeah passing your turn is a legitimate move in Queen's Blood and can be helpful sometimes

It’s not when you pass to bait the AI into playing a card so you can get an advantage but fail to realize you’re behind so the AI passes and wins :downs:

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
A question about QB mechanics: I get that the area of effect will turn yours/your opponents squres to the opposite side. But this doesn't happen all the time. I've tried to turn opponent squares and nothing happen. What am I missing?

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Certain cards have squares that they buff/debuff but do not gain territory for. So you might be placing cards that have an effect on a certain space but don't actually claim it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Hm..that might be it.

I think I need better cards. That ventriloquist girl took a LOT of attempts to beat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Having caught up on the last 6 pages, what is this assumed phenomenon that a series doing a genre shift will lead to long-term fans convulsing and frothing at the mouth like they're being tased? Like XVI is a huge existential hurdle to wrap your head around the concept of 'enemies that react in real-time in a JRPG'. If they just freshly escaped a cryo pod or they're an alien I can understand that but that's assuming it's the first video game they've ever played.

Never touched Dark Souls, Nioh, TWEWY, Tales, NIER, Megaman Battle Network, Kingdom Hearts, Genshin Impact, Yakuza, Monster Hunter or a single first or third person shooter or action game somehow, just fresh into FF16 and they just melt like Emil in Robocop the second they see 'Press △ to cast Fire.'