Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: sharknado slashfic)

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
i am not surprised the gateway tapes are so effective, seeing how they hijack that fancy auditory processing wetware to do... something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

sharknado slashfic posted:

I've tried yeah, and whistling it to him. He just looks at me like I'm nuts, which is kind of his default look though. Who knows.

Mellon posting specific cases is interesting and I'm going to read a lot into it just because it's more fun that way.

The military continues to refer to all these incidents as if they are regular human drones, but a little bit of thinking reveals that is bullshit. For China/Russia to repeatedly pull off drone incursions of that size and frequency over our most important military sites and never get caught is ridiculous on its face. It would require advanced technology they most likely don't have and an enormous program in order to deploy and retrieve these things overseas near high security sites. It's just not possible. Not to mention I highly doubt they would attempt it in the first place because it would be incredibly high risk and one slip up immediately starts a huge international incident. Now does that mean that China/Russia doesn't occasionally fly a recon drone over a sensitive site? No, but the incidents described in these articles are not that.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
fake concocted phony fabricated completely bogus

this tho?
:swoon:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I knew exactly what the punchline was gonna be and I still lolled

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

D-Pad posted:

The military continues to refer to all these incidents as if they are regular human drones, but a little bit of thinking reveals that is bullshit. For China/Russia to repeatedly pull off drone incursions of that size and frequency over our most important military sites and never get caught is ridiculous on its face. It would require advanced technology they most likely don't have and an enormous program in order to deploy and retrieve these things overseas near high security sites. It's just not possible. Not to mention I highly doubt they would attempt it in the first place because it would be incredibly high risk and one slip up immediately starts a huge international incident. Now does that mean that China/Russia doesn't occasionally fly a recon drone over a sensitive site? No, but the incidents described in these articles are not that.

Yeah and the recent incident over...Norfolk? Or Patuxent Naval Air Station or wherever it was that had the drone swarm and the guy in charge was just like yeah we didn't really know how to handle that. If true 2 of the 3 branches of Government should be raising holy hell about it but instead everyone seems to be hoping that if they pretend it's not happening it'll just go away. I know you know this already but poo poo orbs/lights/"drones" have been buzzing mil bases since at least the 50s I'm pretty sure.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Evo psych is extremely useful. It just gets massively misused by dumbasses looking to justify their bullshit with just-so stories too.

fair enough

I was referring to the just so stuff (or “adaptionism”)

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Yeah and the recent incident over...Norfolk? Or Patuxent Naval Air Station or wherever it was that had the drone swarm and the guy in charge was just like yeah we didn't really know how to handle that. If true 2 of the 3 branches of Government should be raising holy hell about it but instead everyone seems to be hoping that if they pretend it's not happening it'll just go away. I know you know this already but poo poo orbs/lights/"drones" have been buzzing mil bases since at least the 50s I'm pretty sure.

It was langley air base right outside of DC. The most monitored and secured airspace in our entire nation. Not only that but it happened multiple times over the course of a month to the point that they not only brought a special sensor plane in from NASA but they relocated the fighter squadron there to another base for the entire month while it was going on because it was interfering. And people are like "must be China" my rear end China can or even would pull something like that off.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

It's the Houthis

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

D-Pad posted:

It was langley air base right outside of DC. The most monitored and secured airspace in our entire nation. Not only that but it happened multiple times over the course of a month to the point that they not only brought a special sensor plane in from NASA but they relocated the fighter squadron there to another base for the entire month while it was going on because it was interfering. And people are like "must be China" my rear end China can or even would pull something like that off.

Lmfao I must have missed some of the details, amazing

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Orbs I can't remember what your original question was but on a whim I did a random turn to a page and point in the Vimalakirti Sutra. It's a bit of a generic message but who knows maybe it'll be more meaningful to you.

quote:

With courage and strength unsurpassed they vanquish the thieves of affliction. Having subdued the four demons and raised the banner of victory they establish a place for Awakening.

Rickshaw
Apr 11, 2004

just a coconut going for a stroll

euphronius posted:

yeah music is a gift. lol at that evo psych nonsense

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LuckyCat posted:

My next Hanuman Chalisa for all beings in the thread, for happiness and fulfillment.

It's been a few days (weeks?) but Orbs, thank you for your kind consideration when replying to me about the card reading for my family. :) And thank you to everyone who gave well wishes!

LAB, thank you for the reading! I showed it to my spouse and we both teared up reading it. We met our kids and it was life changing. The fact that we met in person for the first time and got big hugs and smiles was way more than we expected given their family trauma and years spent at orphanages and for the oldest, in a foster home. We were prepared for them to at least be skeptical of us, if not outright reject us, but hoped it would go the way it did.

Barry Foster, I promised your name to our next rooster. Well, we happened to have a single hatch (which is annoying tbh, why couldn't they give us at least 3 for ease of raising). If anyone has hens and wants/needs a silkie rooster please let us know. :classiclol:

He's already a few weeks old, but welcome to Earth, Barry Foster the silkie rooster:

Here is what he looked like a few weeks ago on top of his mama. Her name is Honey. He's going to be such a beautiful roo. We have grey, orange, and tan roosters. He's going to be snow white with little black blotches like his mama.

incredible things are happening

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Jazerus posted:

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the parent and babies are beautiful

Nichael has issued a correction as of 00:17 on Apr 7, 2024

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Is there a reason for disclosure to be trending atm that isn't nonsense?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Nichael posted:

Congressman tweeted "it's a good day for disclosure" or something, nothing much else

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nichael posted:

Burlison said it is a good day to die for disclosure, so, no

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

D-Pad posted:

Langely AFB isn't too close to DC, it's a couple hours southeast in Hampton Roads on the Virginia coast. I am only being pedantic about this because that puts it very close to the area where Ryan Graves says they would see cubes-in-spheres and other weird stuff every single day.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

Langely AFB isn't too close to DC, it's a couple hours southeast in Hampton Roads on the Virginia coast. I am only being pedantic about this because that puts it very close to the area where Ryan Graves says they would see cubes-in-spheres and other weird stuff every single day.

Ah that's probably why I was thinking Norfolk

Fun fact I went to Norfolk once to see Blues Traveler

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Ah that's probably why I was thinking Norfolk

Fun fact I went to Norfolk once to see Blues Traveler

I went to VA Beach once to see Converge and Mastodon and I think High on Fire and Dethklok played too. Not many good reasons to go the that area tbh. Maybe UFO hunting though.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

not exactly UAP related but some engineering footage of the first SLS launch just got released and it's loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69vIR9zqnOU

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I always had a strong feeling the cube in sphere sightings are some sort of sigint thing, like sub-deployed inflatable retroreflectors. (Like this, but filled with helium and using foil or something https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ema03i-solas-inflate-radar-reflector-for-liferafts-24-dia-1cs-ema03im)

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

weird to see people talking about my local area in here :honked:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Fausty posted:

You north or south of the bridge?

040624_4
Apr 6, 2024
PRESS THE PEDDLE ON THE RIGHT

Fausty
May 16, 2014

"Flowers!"
"Is there a
John Luck Pickerd
here?"

Justin Tyme posted:

You north or south of the bridge?

south

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Justin Tyme posted:

I always had a strong feeling the cube in sphere sightings are some sort of sigint thing, like sub-deployed inflatable retroreflectors. (Like this, but filled with helium and using foil or something https://www.globalindustrial.com/p/ema03i-solas-inflate-radar-reflector-for-liferafts-24-dia-1cs-ema03im)

Graves has been adamant that this isn't the case because they sit there stationary in high winds that would blow any kind of inflatable all over the place

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Fausty posted:

the Norfolk Zoo is very nice

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Nichael posted:

Jazerus posted:

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

the publication he keeps quoting appears to be incapable of crafting a headline without the word 'mysterious' in it lol

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

Spergin Morlock posted:

not exactly UAP related but some engineering footage of the first SLS launch just got released and it's loving awesome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69vIR9zqnOU

:hellyeah:

Orbs
Apr 1, 2009
~Liberation~

Orbs I can't remember what your original question was but on a whim I did a random turn to a page and point in the Vimalakirti Sutra. It's a bit of a generic message but who knows maybe it'll be more meaningful to you.
That still helps a lot with my question, thank you! I got a different personal reading, as well as advice from friends and loved ones. Between your quote and those supports, I am feeling pretty good about my path now. (That was basically what my question was related to- if I needed to change my path at all. The answer seems to be: yes but just a little bit.)

Moonday, April 8th is going to be a big day I feel. My local library was out of eclipse kits, but my rituals and friendships will both likely be supercharged that day anyway. Really looking forward to it. Especially since I also have a really personal and long-awaited health appointment the same day (which the readings I've given also helped me figure out was right, thanks again!)

Jazerus posted:

This. All is filled with meaning, things great and small.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

What do Lue and Burlison and Mellon get out of this slow drip

why do they keep pulling that "why won't someone do something about this" nonsense

it's been like 7 years now

poo poo or get out of the saucer

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

why do they keep pulling that "why won't someone do something about this" nonsense

counterintelligence ops don't ever need to end necessarily

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Cuz then they couldn't do their grift anymore

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Justin Tyme posted:

Cuz then they couldn't do their grift anymore

lue at least has books and poo poo coming out. mellon feels like a true believer imo, he's super rich already

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

euphronius posted:

fair enough

I was referring to the just so stuff (or “adaptionism”)

I still think there are multiple routes to sapience and this means sapient creatures having or not having music. Not "having" music as in just hearing music and just not being capable of understanding it as anything except noise. If rats or some certain (literal) birds can only interpret certain beat patterns or frequencies or whatever, and literally every great ape gets stressed the gently caress out whenever human music is played, then maybe some skaven or a flint knapping emu or dr zaius are just not going to have the components needed to feel human music.

This doesn't mean nobody else won't and doesn't mean that nobody else does already -- nothing is precluded and it's all just speculative.

The idea that needing to maintain group communication while keeping up the running rhythm, where you need to exhaust your target and if you gently caress this up you maybe starve, starts you down a path where your brain needs to develop certain features and I don't think it's absolutely implausible that this can end up forming music. And once you start getting the toehold you're going that way because music also gives you things like complex social bond reinforcement and all that. Some great apes don't need music for this purpose and have other behaviors.

Maybe I'm deadass wrong on the whole thing, but knowing more about this could be a useful line of inquiry if you're trying to develop some xenolinguistic or just animal linguistics system. At some point these disciplines merge. It also could be super useful as in the giant response before, where humans who have disease, injuries, or difficulties can be helped, if we know more about the brain. It's all interconnected and repurposed and repurposed again, and it makes sense how language in humans is closely related to gestures and motion. Identity and sapience in humans I think is tightly related to memory formation.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the other thing to remember is that every animal's hearing is a bit different so even if they were cognitively interested in music they will literally not be hearing the same thing as you

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

mediaphage posted:

the other thing to remember is that every animal's hearing is a bit different so even if they were cognitively interested in music they will literally not be hearing the same thing as you

This is a cool chart, and also kind of hard to conceive of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

mediaphage posted:

drat, so ferrets are the listening GOAT. proud of those little guys