Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: muscles like this!)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
How can they be too old to play a dragon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Sugar. I can watch Colin Farrel in anything.

What I'm really digging though, after waiting way too long to start it, is Resident Alien. I can't imagine anyone but Alan Tudyk in the role of Harry, he's fantastic. I'm only 3 episodes in and it's extremely my poo poo.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

isaboo posted:

I can watch Colin Farrel in anything.

Hell yeah.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

isaboo posted:

I've enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Sugar. I can watch Colin Farrel in anything.

Oh, I thought it was weekly releases, I didn't realize episode 2 was already out!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Apple usually releases the first two episodes at once.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I gave Ripley a shot purely because of Andrew Scott, but it didn’t really do much for me. I read a summary of the book and that made me sure it wasn’t something I wanted to continue with.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

False. There is only one electron and it has never stopped
Sugar is top notch if you don't expect them to have attempted to make something like The Wire or Breaking Bad which are seriously good shows. It's an unseriously good show.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mainly just hate the dialogue. It’s extremely poor. I like Colin Farrell and Amy Ryan tho

So I’ve never actually consumed any version of the Ripley story before and I had no idea what was coming and now I’m all :popeye:

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

The dialogue in Sugar is poor, especially the voiceovers. Not only how it's written but sadly also how Farrell delivers the lines.

His voice being entirely different in the voiceovers is also jarring.

And he goes overboard with being friendly and helping strangers. It's a noir show. I expected by him being a nice guy he'd call the driver by his name and drop a twenty to a beggar then keep moving. Instead he's actively getting involved in their lives.

And I know that detectives need some kind of mysterious health problem but the way it's introduced is not it.

That said I like the show. I love how it switches styles and genres and influences and does camera tricks out of the blue.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
The thing that's most thrown me about Ripley is that the Italian language vinyl is real. Obviously they've cherry picked the lines, but the recording itself is the actual thing -- according to the credits -- and it's quite creepy and weird sounding.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I'm not normally a fan of Colin Farrell, but I liked the first two episodes of Sugar.

Bright Bart
Apr 27, 2020

I actually think that while less fun it would be an A (maybe +/-) show if they made it like a silent picture but kept the score.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
Beacon 23 is back

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Got some recommendations from family to watch The Chosen. Not family who have good opinions on anything in the world. I have to assume a show about Jesus that doesn't upset American Christians cannot be very good since they won't have portrayed Jesus very well, certainly gonna be Paul's lovely fanfic version of Christ. gently caress Paul.

Anyone here seen it, is there anything there or is it just christofascist propa?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Never watched it but I've seen articles from mainstream press saying it's surprisingly good or at least competently made. I feel like there's 50 other shows worth watching before it though.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 7, 2024

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Beacon 23 is back

Did they film the seasons back to back or did they break the first season into two because season 1 just wrapped up in December.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Did they film the seasons back to back or did they break the first season into two because season 1 just wrapped up in December.

They filmed it all at once IIRC.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Khanstant posted:

Got some recommendations from family to watch The Chosen. Not family who have good opinions on anything in the world. I have to assume a show about Jesus that doesn't upset American Christians cannot be very good since they won't have portrayed Jesus very well, certainly gonna be Paul's lovely fanfic version of Christ. gently caress Paul.

Anyone here seen it, is there anything there or is it just christofascist propa?

I've watched it as someone that is more just interested in it as a fictional story and as someone that's just interested in theology rather than actually believing in it. I was a believer growing up, but not so much now. And it's very well made show. I guess how you react to it is going to depend more on how you interpret it. A weird thing to say of course but I think it's true. At the end of the day the show is presented and made with the idea that this stuff actually happened because they are believers of course, but they've made it explicit that they have taken liberties in even their version of events which has kinda made a lot of fundamentalists not take to it.

I think the supplementary videos on the website are just as interesting as they have videos where Catholic and Jewish scholars discuss how they interpret the events in their own way. Those theological discussions are interesting to see unfold sometimes. Also some of their main advisors on the show are Orthodox Jews so they're not coming at this from just a Christian theological standpoint even though that is what they are producing.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I'll say this about the Chosen - the producers were on the good side of the WGA during the strike, so it can't be ALL bad.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The only thing I know about The Chosen is that the guy who plays Jesus is also the VA for that weird doll in Death Stranding 2.

040724_2
Apr 8, 2024

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Absolutely cackling at this episode of 90s X-Men where a mutant drains a human to power his time travel and tells Master Mold (a giant robot making robot) that he'll be fine in a couple of days.

Master Mold: "Whatever."

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

muscles like this! posted:

Absolutely cackling at this episode of 90s X-Men where a mutant drains a human to power his time travel and tells Master Mold (a giant robot making robot) that he'll be fine in a couple of days.

Master Mold: "Whatever."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4LMs6tELrE

Master Mold had the best line of the series, or maybe second best to "I'm the wild man from Borneo"

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

X-O posted:

I've watched it as someone that is more just interested in it as a fictional story and as someone that's just interested in theology rather than actually believing in it. I was a believer growing up, but not so much now. And it's very well made show. I guess how you react to it is going to depend more on how you interpret it. A weird thing to say of course but I think it's true.

Jesus can be a cool character and there are a lot of Bible stories I can still appreciate just as any story, others not so much because of their lessons or morals. Thanks for the added context, wasn't about to install some angel app just to see. If nothing else might check out a compilation of top ten coolest miracles, big fan of legion and the demon pigs. I think Acts is where my bar is.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Jesus "love thy neighbor and forgive thy brother" Christ seeing religion turned into a moneymaking exercise and going,"Welp, time to beat an extraordinary amount of rear end" is legit one of my favorite stories.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Makes his own whip too! The hard way too, just to prove the point.

The church I was raised into built a second bookstore and a coffee shop and I always wanted to go Jesus on the place but my dad was against me attacking our church even though he got us all WWJD necklaces.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I want to recommend Mr Bates vs The Post Office, it's about a bunch of british postmasters who get accused of theft because of a faulty computer system, it's a pretty tragic story.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
The first epeiode of discovery season 5 was bloody awful.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Could just save time and write

Stegosnaurlax posted:

discovery […] was bloody awful.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I like Discovery :(

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's pretty cool that we have so many Star Trek shows going on at the same time. Wish they were more consistently good of course, but I seriously thought the TV shows were over after Enterprise bombed. I lacked faith, faith of the heart.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023
It's like gilmore girls dialogue in space, the only time there's no talking is when someone is looking meaningfully at someone

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Strange New Worlds and Lower Decks are both so, so, so good. :shobon:

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Discovery has the same problem Picard in that the showrunners are so obsessed with expanding the deep lore of the franchise they don't really write the characters as people so much as walking exposition.

Disco's Big Reveal for its final season is that it is focusing on the Progenitors, from The Chase, something Star Trek never followed up on for good reason. It's just another ancient civilization with borderline magic leftover technology that only drives the plot because bad people want it.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I don’t like most American comedies, and Lower Decks didn’t do anything for me. Strange New Worlds is too episodic, I’m not interested in rehashing old stories, I’m tired of Spock and all the episodes dedicated to his love life, and the show killed the only character I truly loved.

Discovery at least has Saru and Tilly that are good characters.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
What lore are the discovery writers trying to expand? The show is so far in the future that no one gives a poo poo. Are they ever going to make another show in this time period? I hope not, I have no desire to see any of this poo poo ever again. I think SNW is lucky that it can't do too much because there is already so much established canon for that time period and the future, so they have to be restrained with what they do. But that works in its favor because they can explore fun stories that only affect them, not THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE. Once Discovery is done, any writer or show runner that attempts to make a Star Trek show that even hints at a galaxy level threat needs to be fired into the sun. The universe can't be on the verge of ending EVERY season.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anthony Hopkins is doing a TV show about gladiators?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xouFXMOvaU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Will this show have any basis in reality, or will it just be about a bunch of people dying in gladiator combat even though most of them didn't die.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Man, the latest Simpsons barely qualifies as a parody. Things are really that dire in the US. Honestly, it's way to hopeful.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TuxedoOrca
Feb 6, 2024

Cojawfee posted:

What lore are the discovery writers trying to expand? The show is so far in the future that no one gives a poo poo. Are they ever going to make another show in this time period?

Supposedly they have a Starfleet Academy show in the making that's set in the 32nd century, but it's anyone's guess if it will be real between how the strike derailed production and paramount being in financial trouble.