Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

Dameius posted:

We probably have another ALCS appearance in us but yeah, we're on the wrong side of this hill.

Yeah 'cause the only other teams worth a drat are AL East.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Stephen Strasburg is finally retiring

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2024/04/stephen-strasburg-officially-retires.html?utm_source=twitter

Sounds like the team finally agreed to pay him, but he did agree to some deferrals in his remaining contract years

I really really hope his arm recovers enough for a normal rear end life. I'm so glad he had 2019.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
Never gets old

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Intruder posted:

Reminds me of when Westbrook hit a 3 and did the shoosh gesture at the crowd in an elimination game against the Lakers while down 30 for the Rockets

Every player should take the opportunity to enrage Yankee fans when presented with the opportunity IMO.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
lol diamondbacks

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Not only is he a loser, he kinda just sucks.

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Nfcknblvbl posted:

Yeah 'cause the only other teams worth a drat are AL East.

The Rangers are really good

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
I'd be fine with the pitch clock going away tbh. Go back to the old mound visit and pitching change rules too

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Braves will be fine if Strider needs surgery. Better than fine in fact, since the last time they played a season with a superstar on the IL they won the World Series.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

weird because his dad was literally the coolest player ever

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Jose Oquendo posted:

Never gets old

PNC Park is amazing. I'm going to try and make it out there the next time (next year?) the Rangers are playing in Pittsburgh.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Lmao don't get rid of the pitchclock it has been a godsend

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

He does this for every home run he hits. It's absolutely nothing

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/BarnHasSpoken2/status/1776790286204637466?t=jtctoeTRrl1fNj-uUQDP1Q&s=19

You dont hear pbp guys going after the league like this very often.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Didn't watch, but let me guess, is it about the new blocking rules and the umpires' apparent unawareness that it's not blocking if you have the ball in your glove

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Vlad Jr is friends with literally everyone in mlb he's not showing anyone up just cause Jomboy is a moron again

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Vlad Jr owns because he can do the tamest slight towards the Yankees and it immediatly blows up on the Yankee Twitter sphere and AM sports talk shows.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

It's not even a slight towards the Yankees. It's a thing he does with the 3B coach.

There's a reason no one on the actual team gave a gently caress

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002
make forkballs great again

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It's not even a slight towards the Yankees. It's a thing he does with the 3B coach.

There's a reason no one on the actual team gave a gently caress

I don't think you understand. He was playing against the Yankees, that's a slight.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Didn't watch, but let me guess, is it about the new blocking rules and the umpires' apparent unawareness that it's not blocking if you have the ball in your glove

Nah it's a good tear into everything lately while also topping off with the score change killing the rookie player's base hit streak and the incompetence of MLB wrt all the scandals and problems going on right now. It's actually relatively candid.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I bought tickets to the Yankee game Monday because the solar eclipse is happening right smack in the middle of the game. Which sounds cool. But then they postponed the game by 4 hours, so I sold them.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

I bought tickets to the Yankee game Monday because the solar eclipse is happening right smack in the middle of the game. Which sounds cool. But then they postponed the game by 4 hours, so I sold them.

That would have been cool. I wonder if they would have paused the game.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Popete posted:

Yea I’m not sure what the plan was. Doesn’t seem safe to have guys shagging fly balls during a solar eclipse.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

RCarr posted:

I played a game called Eclipse Ball in middle school gym class

https://www.eclipseball.com/eclipseball

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Eric the Mauve posted:

No, this one is about the guy losing his on-base streak because of a retroactive scoring change.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I played a game called Eclipse Ball in middle school gym class

https://www.eclipseball.com/eclipseball

Maybe that’s what they were planning on playing.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Dude was cooking.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

RCarr posted:

Yea I’m not sure what the plan was. Doesn’t seem safe to have guys shagging fly balls during a solar eclipse.
the eclipse is not total in New York and is not sufficient magnitude to make the light levels dangerous for playing baseball

You’ll only really notice it in New York if you look at the sun through a solar filter or with a pinhole projector

Popete posted:

since it’s only a partial eclipse there, it lasts like 2+ hours and there would be no specific time to pause the game

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Why would they postpone it then?

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Luigi Thirty posted:

No, this one is about the guy losing his on-base streak because of a retroactive scoring change.

On one hand, I think it is slightly annoying that they changed it. On the other hand, it's an on-base streak. It's a big ball of nothing and not worth that level of anger.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

DeepDickPizza posted:

On one hand, I think it is slightly annoying that they changed it. On the other hand, it's an on-base streak. It's a big ball of nothing and not worth that level of anger.

it's an on base streak to start his career, which I think is more than nothing

e: this is the play if anyone wants to see it

https://www.mlb.com/video/nolan-schanuel-reaches-on-a-ground-ball-to-first-baseman-ryan-mountcastle-offici

I think calling it an error is probably the right call but it's close enough that going back to change it a week later seems spiteful more than anything else and it's a dumb look for MLB

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Apr 7, 2024

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I personally thought it was funny that Vladdy did his HR thing despite the score being the score

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Carlosologist posted:

I personally thought it was funny that Vladdy did his HR thing despite the score being the score

if you've got a bit, you must commit

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Story may need season sending surgery on his shoulder.

Goddamn pitch clock! :argh:

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

I mean, making the batters swing faster probably has some sort of effect

On the other hand, Story hurt, water wet :sigh:

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Giants are the only team without a stolen base so far this year (2 failed attempts)

White Sox have scored 13 runs in 8 games. This includes a game where they scored 6 runs; if you remove that game, they are averaging a blistering 1 run per game

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

The more your team is being blown out, the more you should get to celebrate.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

quote:

The Braves announced Saturday that right-hander Spencer Strider’s MRI exam revealed damage to the UCL in his right elbow and that he’ll be further evaluated by Dr. Keith Meister.

While it’s not a certainty that he’ll wind up requiring Tommy John surgery, damage to the UCL and a visit to Dr. Meister are never what you want to hear. The 25-year-old fantasy ace experienced significantly diminished fastball velocity during Friday’s abbreviated four-inning start against the Diamondbacks and told the Braves’ medical staff afterwards that he was experiencing elbow discomfort. While he hasn’t been placed on the injured list yet, it’s only a matter of time. It’ll most likely be either Bryce Elder or Dylan Dodd taking the ball in his absence on Wednesday against the Mets.

Combined with fried looking like poo poo, not sure how I feel with the whole "world series or bust" mantra

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Good Dog posted:

You dont hear pbp guys going after the league like this very often.

GET ‘EM