Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
I’m planning on heading up to my in-laws place in vt. I wonder what % the total population of the state will go up this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Luneshot posted:

How much do public spaces fill in the hours before the eclipse? Do people tend to show up in the early hours of the morning? There’s a small city park near us that we were going to walk to, but we may just stay in our backyard if it’s going to be hard to find standing room.

It could be a shoulder to shoulder madhouse or it could be totally chill. These events happen so rarely it's impossible to predict attendance with any reliability.

If your home is in the path of totality I'd stay there. Maybe a neighborhood park if you want to experience it with your neighbors. If you have to travel, my general feeling is the easier the spot is to google as a "best spot" the more people are gonna show up there.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Something like 15 miles to either side of the centerline you're still in deep totality, only sacrificing 10-15 seconds on either side of the 3-1/2 to 4 min. There should be plenty of places to be.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

I made a reservation for a room in Syracuse on Sunday about two months ago - I'm outside Philly and with two small children, a long trip would have been difficult. I'm really glad the forecast is looking good there for Monday, though it's snowing now so I guess it's an open question if the ground will still be snow covered by Monday. I'm also in the similar boat of trying to figure out where to watch it. I did just find a town park northwest of Syracuse that's closer to the 3 minute totality and has bathrooms and a playground so that's a strong contender, but there's also a nature center with an event, or worst case, I guess we can hang out in the hotel's parking lot.

Hopefully traffic home isn't too bad, but it's mostly interstates straight down. Even if it balloons from 4 hours to 8 hours, I would be home before 1 AM.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

In Mazatlán they're shutting down the malécon that runs along the beach to cars at 4am to make room for the crowds, because everybody is going to try and be there.

I have a SSE facing outdoor walkway at my hotel so I'm content to stay there. I don't want anyone bumping or knocking over my camera set-up anyway.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Anyone still need a place to stay? This concrete slab is only $600/night

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1126290273469328925

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

I’m planning on heading up to my in-laws place in vt. I wonder what % the total population of the state will go up this weekend.

As low as maybe just like 10-15%, but maybe as much as 30-35% more.

Despite the massive snow dump last night and today, road crews did their loving jobs with aplumb. The clearest I've ever seen them that quickly.

Definitely must have had some pressure from the higher ups to get it done ASAP for tourists starting to arrive.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
PBS released this nice lil hype doc about the eclipse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTfQpdTD_3M

Around 2 AM Monday I'm planning to leave nyc and drive north for hours towards Watertown. I'll check weather and environs when I'm close. I'm also not going to stress myself because it's a chill somber event.

FWIW I reached 2017 totality by driving overnight to Tennessee. Found a nearby campsite in the morning. The small town was crowded, lots of people directing lots of traffic. We ended up watching from a high school parking lot field with many others. Leaving the event was far worse--people arrive for days and all leave at once.

A lot of the warnings about traveling and booking places to stay is centered around families trying to stay indoors. If you're flexible, you're fine.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ProperCauldron posted:

PBS released this nice lil hype doc about the eclipse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTfQpdTD_3M

Around 2 AM Monday I'm planning to leave nyc and drive north for hours towards Watertown. I'll check weather and environs when I'm close. I'm also not going to stress myself because it's a chill somber event.

FWIW I reached 2017 totality by driving overnight to Tennessee. Found a nearby campsite in the morning. The small town was crowded, lots of people directing lots of traffic. We ended up watching from a high school parking lot field with many others. Leaving the event was far worse--people arrive for days and all leave at once.

A lot of the warnings about traveling and booking places to stay is centered around families trying to stay indoors. If you're flexible, you're fine.

i'm hopefully gonna be in watertown as well (forecast currently looks good, hope it stays that way). there's a viewing party at thompson park but i might just stay at my inlaws' house to watch since they're out on a farm and getting in to watertown proper likely won't be easy even from just outside of town on monday.

if it does start looking like cloudiness is gonna be an issue, i plan on driving north to plattsburgh sunday night instead, and just sleeping in my car in a graveyard or something.

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

I've got a hotel reservation in Canandaigua for sun->tue morning; hopefully it's clear but i'll have a car if I have to move northeast

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Cuttently in Montreal, which stores/chains might have eclipse glasses for sale?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I really wish there was some way I could see this but it's just not gonna happen )=. Maybe in 2026.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

ymgve posted:

Cuttently in Montreal, which stores/chains might have eclipse glasses for sale?
not specific to Montreal but I'd check with camera shops if there are any around, the kind that would have lots of fancy equipment and photo/astronomy nerds who are interested in the eclipse. If they don't have any they would be likely to know who does.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 5, 2024

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ugh the forecast for where i'm supposed to be keeps yo-yoing between mostly sunny and mostly cloudy. i hate this.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm trying not to read to much into an earthquake happening three days before an eclipse, a day after a massive snow storm...but if no I see locusts or some first born getting slaughtered this weekend, imma start to get nervous.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm trying not to read to much into an earthquake happening three days before an eclipse, a day after a massive snow storm...but if no I see locusts or some first born getting slaughtered this weekend, imma start to get nervous.

Maybe get some xanax then because two major cicada blooms are happening in the midwest in May.. estimates are up hundreds of thousands per acre. These two broods haven't synced like this since 1803.

Gonna be one noisy insect orgy in Illinois.

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

i'm hopefully gonna be in watertown as well (forecast currently looks good, hope it stays that way). there's a viewing party at thompson park but i might just stay at my inlaws' house to watch since they're out on a farm and getting in to watertown proper likely won't be easy even from just outside of town on monday.

What up Watertown gang, that was my destination but at this point I think I'm just going to punch through and keep going to QC. It seems like it's clear there across every single model at this point. The cloudiness in upstate NY looks like it might be the high clouds that stream in ahead of a weather front so maybe not a dealbreaker for the eclipse, but if I'm driving that way might as well add on a few more hours and get further ahead of the system.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

xzzy posted:

Maybe get some xanax then because two major cicada blooms are happening in the midwest in May.. estimates are up hundreds of thousands per acre. These two broods haven't synced like this since 1803.

Gonna be one noisy insect orgy in Illinois.

Thankfully (so far) locusts don't spread into New England. I'm sure with climate change that's...uhh...changing but since they're on long year cycles it must take even longer to notice cicada movement.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Mazatlán had a forecast for 80% cloud cover today, weather apps all say partly cloudy. Someone from the eclipse chasing group on Facebook that I'm in just posted a photo they took from the beach and it's just some wispy cirrus clouds.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

DrBouvenstein posted:

Thankfully (so far) locusts don't spread into New England. I'm sure with climate change that's...uhh...changing but since they're on long year cycles it must take even longer to notice cicada movement.

I thought we killed all the locusts in North America.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Miramichi, NB is having a snowstorm, but Monday is supposed to be sunny and 12. I hope we'll luck out. We're driving over tomorrow from Nova Scotia for a long weekend. We'll try to avoid any moose.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

wesleywillis posted:

I thought we killed all the locusts in North America.

no we just renamed them to grasshoppers and or cicadas

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

Mazatlán had a forecast for 80% cloud cover today, weather apps all say partly cloudy. Someone from the eclipse chasing group on Facebook that I'm in just posted a photo they took from the beach and it's just some wispy cirrus clouds.
yeah we landed in Mazatlan this afternoon, it’s high wispy clouds and not that many

The Canadian model shows like <20% cloud cover and is allegedly the most nuanced cloud cover model. The American model tends to overestimate and shows 80% or whatever, but it also has a cloud thickness foreceast which is <20%.

High thin clouds aren’t necessarily a show stopper. We do have some people with rental cars in our group for Plan B near Durango if it comes to that but as of now I don’t expect it will be necessary. Here’s hoping!

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Any recommendations for southern Ontario? I was planning on driving to dunneville for a RASC gathering but there's risk of clouds and I don't really see any place better.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I'm this close to diverting to southern Illinois at this point. I just don't have the scratch to spend the night somewhere and sleeping in my car would make me paranoid all night and tired.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

EngineerJoe posted:

Any recommendations for southern Ontario? I was planning on driving to dunneville for a RASC gathering but there's risk of clouds and I don't really see any place better.

I just saw some random thing while I was scrolling facebookthat said come to Port Dover for the eclipse.

No idea what the weather will be like though.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

EngineerJoe posted:

Odds of clouds will be pretty high anywhere in Ontario, Dunnville’s as good a place as any. I’ve got a train ticket to Kingston, don’t want to deal with traffic and hoping that it’s a little less mobbed than any place nearer the GTA.

root of all eval
Dec 28, 2002

Star Man posted:

I'm this close to diverting to southern Illinois at this point. I just don't have the scratch to spend the night somewhere and sleeping in my car would make me paranoid all night and tired.

I can point out places with 24 hours showers and bathrooms and about a billion quiet county roads you could nap on near Mount Vernon. It's my home town and I know the area very well

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Probably been posted here before but this USA Today article has an interactive map that lets you click on any location and it shows you the time, percent of totality, and likelihood of cloud cover.

I’m bummed my schedule didn’t work out and I couldn’t visit family in Indianapolis but it looks like ~66% chance of cloudy skies and I would be furious if I got skunked by clouds like I did here in South Carolina for the 2017 eclipse.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Reposting this slick page: https://www.pivotalweather.com/eclipse2024/

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

root of all eval posted:

I can point out places with 24 hours showers and bathrooms and about a billion quiet county roads you could nap on near Mount Vernon. It's my home town and I know the area very well

Not the OP, but by coincidence, I'm headed to Mt. Vernon myself. My wife, son, and I are going to Cedarhurst Center for the Arts. The main reason we chose Mt. Vernon is because there's a Bojangles there, the totality time is fairly long, and it's not too far from my corner of southern Illinois.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

I'll be somewhere in southern IL. Bought a solar filter force my big camera lens and have like a dozen different spots picked out to try. Visiting a friend in Springfield Sunday to cut the drive in half. Fingers crossed for decent weather.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

root of all eval posted:

I'm probably overreacting, but I also forgot to factor in that the time of totality will be earlier local time the further west I go from Pittsburgh. I think I'm going to end up trying to meet some other 3AP people at Cuyahoga Valley near Akron, Ohio. I'm waiting to figure it out by Sunday evening. Too bad it's going to be pretty clear on Sunday.

Star Man fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 6, 2024

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Flew above and through the clouds over Mazatlán at noon today. I could see the ground nearly the entire time, they were thin and wispy.

Then we missed our bus from Puerto Vallarta because loving Westjet was 2 hours late because their Dreamliner broke down and it was replaced with some piece of junk Swoop plane they bought for cheap. The flight attendants were pissed about it too, one of them told everyone on board to contact Westjet and complain.

Anyway, we secured the last 2 seats on a later bus so we should still make it. We just won't be at our hotel until like 1 am.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
Miramichi NB is shaping up to be a perfect sunny day still. Unreal considering the maritime provinces are so unpredictable sometimes. We got here today and walked a few blocks to a kitchen party in pretty windy, cold weather tonight. I'm really excited for Monday.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

It has been surprisingly dead in the Burlington downtown the past couple nights. I think the weird combination of locals not wanting to go out because of the assumption it would be all tourists, but perhaps the type of tourists who are eclipse chasing aren't big "going out" types, and the large snow storm maybe affecting people's plans (even though by Thursday afternoon most roads were fine,) just made a weird melange of "not as many people as expected"? Not sure? Or a lot of the tourists are with families so can't really go out late?'

Though to be fair, I'm not out NOW, but my girlfriend was out last night till late and it was dead, and there seemed to be less people than usual even earlier in the evening when I was out around 6-8.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The model simulation cloud cover forecast for essentially all of Ontario is looking increasingly pessimistic. It's looking like driving a couple hours would just be a waste of time.

EDIT: Maybe somewhere south of Montreal would be better, although there's no obvious spot.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Apr 7, 2024

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data
Looked at all the weather data this morning when I woke up at my friend's in Texas (Austin)—not that I was ever planning on seeing it there but to visit him and his wife, which was great. And I visited my other friend yesterday in Hill Country. No really hilly for my NorCal sensibilities, but good to see him.

I remembered that another friend lived in Memphis and figured he may be going somewhere to Arkansas.
I drove 700 miles today. And he's all in, he saw the 2017 eclipse at the Kentucky border.

Staying at his place tonight and we'll be picking our spot and heading there tomorrow.
Happier now.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug

root of all eval posted:

I'm in O'Fallon currently, planning to find a quiet place to spend the night in my car in Herrin (on the centerline path). I'm just watching the short term weather models on if I should stick with that plan or maybe head a little more northeast to maybe Mt Carmel. Oh and maybe storms to deal with this evening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
https://www.pivotalweather.com/eclipse2024/?m=srefens&p=blockedinsol_tle_2-mean&r=conus

That page is helpful as it is using the much higher resolution short range models now.

If it helps at all, I'm a meteorologist and this is what I'm seeing at this moment. I'm targeting southern Illinois. I'm still concerned about high clouds as I expect they may make seeing the corona a little more challenging.

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=nam3km&region=ncus&pkg=cfrachigh&runtime=2024040712&fh=21

This shows high clouds from one model. Thinking it'll be ok to stick with my Herrin plan. Here's a vertical profile from another model showing the high clouds (red [temperature] and green [dew point] lines close together towards the top). Hopefully with it being dark in the moon shadow and the high clouds being thin enough it won't be much of an issue.