Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

JBP posted:

I listen to Shameless when my partner has it on. It's the only podcast I listen to that isn't about war.

Whenever I read things like this I think of Phil Hartmans role as a dad in Small Soldiers watching TV and saying "I think world war two was my favourite war".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

No one listens to Boonta Vista or BigSoftTitty?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
smh no love for conez and doh

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Megabound posted:

No one listens to Boonta Vista or BigSoftTitty?

I listen to boonta vista, it's a chill, sometimes funny, easy listen

I have listened to Ben Jenkins and Michael Hing's podcast Free to a Good Home, but it's not very good

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Yeah Boonta Vista is fairly relaibly entertaining.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Casefile is/was a pretty great true crime podcast, and since it’s done by an Australian guy he started initially covering Australian crimes. Stuff like the Beaumont kids, the murders on Wanda Sands, Peter Falconio etc. I dropped off it years ago, no idea if it’s still any good.

Betoota Advocate podcast is pretty funny when they do interviews and actual shows - the ones where they just read out their week of Instagram headlines are pretty skippable unless you don’t follow any of their socials. Back when Turnbull was PM they interviewed him on video in a pub, but kept subtly moving the pint glasses around his table so it looked like he was on a serious bender

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Doctor Spaceman posted:

smh no love for conez and doh

broke: boonta soporific hour

woke: conez and doh

bespoke: my boyfriend is a podcast :smuggo:

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

EoinCannon posted:

I listen to boonta vista, it's a chill, sometimes funny, easy listen

I have listened to Ben Jenkins and Michael Hing's podcast Free to a Good Home, but it's not very good

Micheal Hing is spectacularly unentertaining for me. I can't explain it, he just shits me no end.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BrigadierSensible posted:

Micheal Hing is spectacularly unentertaining for me. I can't explain it, he just shits me no end.

Yeah I don't get his schtick. He seems like a genuine weirdo and he mines some comedy out of that but it's not my cup of tea

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I’ll listen to Free to a Good Home is the guest is good. Basically if Tom or Demi are on but also Hum.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
What's the Australian equivalent of Chapo Trap House?

A Banana
Jun 11, 2013
Free to a good home is terrible when they're actually engaging in the premise of the show and reading some dumb poo poo off the internet you've already seen elsewhere, but fun when they have a good guest and go off track talking codshit.

Which is maybe not great "oh yeah the premise of this podcast sucks but trust me the rest of it is good"

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

Megabound posted:

I’ll listen to Free to a Good Home is the guest is good. Basically if Tom or Demi are on but also Hum.

Hum is so mean

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I got really mad while listening to a Free To a Good Home episode with Matt Christman on, and he asked what the big Ned Kelly movies were. Ben and what's his face didn't know The Ballad Of the Kelly Gang. First movie! Big deal!

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

The Peccadillo posted:

I got really mad while listening to a Free To a Good Home episode with Matt Christman on, and he asked what the big Ned Kelly movies were. Ben and what's his face didn't know The Ballad Of the Kelly Gang. First movie! Big deal!

such is life

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lol Sydney median house price $2m by 2027 :cheers:

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
It's wild how the Sydney property market ultimately necessitated a kind of American style tipping system in one city

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Is that true? Do you have to tip in Sydney now? If so burn it down.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Megabound posted:

Sydney is a tip so it checks out.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Megabound posted:

It's not as culturally mandatory from what I can tell but it's very normalised and a few places do compulsory gratuity charges

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
those places are scabs

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Eh while it is basically impossible to live in Sydney on an award wage I think it's kind of more honest to enforce a gratuity than it is to just hope for the best but ultimately the solution is to guillotine landl USER PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

It's worth pointing out the places with enforced gratuity I know of are places that pay well above the award and have a reasonably healthy workplace culture in so much a thing exists in hospitality so it's not just owners being cheap cunts

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

It's still trash. If the price of the food isn't enough to pay people appropriately, increase the price. Don't hide it in a bullshit additional fee. Even if it's well intentioned, it's still deceptive and scammy.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

How is it deceptive if they have a big thing on their menu describing it. It's more transparent to do so than simply slam it into product prices which are literally inscrutable

I dunno I am very much not a fan of it but deceptive is not the word I'd use to describe the issue with it

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
starting week 5 of my BSci and my first year chemistry course is literally explaining in painstaking detail how the Bohr model of the atom is useful but inaccurate (because the 'orbits' represent energy levels that don't reflect how electrons function under the quantum mechanics that operate at that scale)

thinking of you bucky <3

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

How is it deceptive if they have a big thing on their menu describing it. It's more transparent to do so than simply slam it into product prices which are literally inscrutable

I dunno I am very much not a fan of it but deceptive is not the word I'd use to describe the issue with it

Because they rely on you having to notice it and mentally calculate the extra %. It's like the dumb way Americans list prices without factoring in taxes, or the way airlines don't include the cost of fees in the advertised price. They're using the lower list price to drive sales, as most people won't realise the true cost until final bill comes.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

It's worth pointing out the places with enforced gratuity I know of are places that pay well above the award and have a reasonably healthy workplace culture in so much a thing exists in hospitality so it's not just owners being cheap cunts

Sounds dumb

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Captain Theron posted:

Because they rely on you having to notice it and mentally calculate the extra %. It's like the dumb way Americans list prices without factoring in taxes, or the way airlines don't include the cost of fees in the advertised price. They're using the lower list price to drive sales, as most people won't realise the true cost until final bill comes.

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the rich cunts that eat in these places but you do you. I'm sure they care about you. Im glad the employees are being paid well.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

I don't have a lot of sympathy for the rich cunts that eat in these places but you do you. I'm sure they care about you. Im glad the employees are being paid well.

Lol, how the gently caress is that what you got from what I said? Mandatory tipping is explicitly anti-worker and a crutch for businesses to get out of having to carry the cost of paying their employees adequately.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

Eh while it is basically impossible to live in Sydney on an award wage I think it's kind of more honest to enforce a gratuity than it is to just hope for the best but ultimately the solution is to guillotine landl USER PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST

https://twitter.com/SarahisCensored/status/1777044551112315292

Urcher
Jun 16, 2006

I didn’t realise the first post was meant to be negative until I read the second post

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I've always rounded up to the nearest $5/10 on the total bill but I usually only do sit-down dinners in a big group so its split bill anyway and it makes up for the fact we have a bunch of precious cunts that make a bunch of changes to dishes so they dont get tummy aches.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

we gotta steal her house

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

Captain Theron posted:

Lol, how the gently caress is that what you got from what I said? Mandatory tipping is explicitly anti-worker and a crutch for businesses to get out of having to carry the cost of paying their employees adequately.

They are paying their employees above well above the award already you goony weirdo the problem is Sydney is a city built around rich cunts and normal people can't afford to live there

Pleasant Friend
Dec 30, 2008

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

They are paying their employees above well above the award already you goony weirdo the problem is Sydney is a city built around rich cunts and normal people can't afford to live there

That's real loving poo poo and it's dumb you're defending it. Just pay your workers more and don't try to scam your customers. No I don't care they're rich assholes, don't normalise tipping.

Captain Theron
Mar 22, 2010

Jezza of OZPOS posted:

You're the one being weirdly aggressive and patronising. Tipping culture is a cancer that is used to keep wages low. If a 10% or 20% additional fee is required to pay people appropriately, then it isn't a fee and is just part of the cost.

If some businesses are paying people well with them, that's great, but it provides cover for others to push for wages to stay low and rely more on the largesse of customers.

How can you look at places where tipping is common and see that as desirable? If the award rate is too low, we need to raise it, not come up with ad hoc solutions to structural problems.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
The crazy thing about Boonta Vista is the podcast alone earns 20k per month.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Anidav posted:

The crazy thing about Boonta Vista is the podcast alone earns 20k per month.

Wow, well, they seem to have hit on a combination of host chemistry, content and being funny enough that makes for wide appeal. Great idea to move away from politics and be more of an Uhh Yeah Dude type of thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

That’s cool but between 4 hosts it’s like 60k a year. I mean they all work too but it’s not gently caress you entertainment money.