Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

deep dish peat moss posted:

Or just one person with a laser cannon

Gunships are still bullshit though I have seen them intentionally shoot at hellbombs with no nearby divers and they destroy them in one shot :argh:

A quasar has tends to have a lot of downtime to quickly deal with 4+ of them solo, or more if your team mates pubbies make some mistakes and wipe near their base. In a well oiled group it works though I’ll give you that.

What would be nice though is if people refrained from aggroing the gunships until after our 5+ dropships alarm and shooting at random bases was cooled down somewhat. Having to deal with a land and air assault leads to stupid losses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

The king of the sand castle
All enemies will target hellbombs if they aren't actively engaging a player, it seems high on their priority list. They will even smash your resupply boxes if they can't find anything better to do. I think it's cool, I enjoy seeing berserkers angrily kick over my fascist ammo crate.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lobok posted:

So Durgen is uh, not fun. Several minutes each mission when you just can't see a drat thing.

The bots can't see anything either. You can just walk into a base and plant a hellbomb.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

All I know about it is 'it's Starship Troopers where you shoot antlions for democracy, but it has MGSV style movement'. Got the impression you could unlock gear, armor, weapons, etc.

That's pretty accurate, but right now the big campaign is against robots who hate our freedoms.

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Muscle Enhancement booster prevents slowdown during sandstorms and blizzards so it's pretty much a must-pick for those planets. Lets you get a lot done while enemies are blind.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Strong Sauce posted:

okay so what's the deal with not choosing boosters at random (it's not someone else taking it and doesn't seem to be dependent on if you're start at the beginning or middle)
I've only seen it happen when joining an in-progress game, but regardless I don't think anyone knows what's up with that behavior.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

That's pretty accurate, but right now the big campaign is against robots who hate our freedoms.

The robots keep calling me Sneaky Scum so they must pay.

thiccabod
Nov 26, 2007

Someone mentioned earlier that they joined a blitz map just as the existing player(s) we're leaving and got that Gone In 360 Seconds trophy. I decided to try for it solo on a bot map and after sprinting from one factory to the next and then to the extraction zone, I popped an SOS and had three people join before we all left. Hopefully at least one or two of them got the trophy along with me

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I just got gone in 360 and the no deaths on extreme cheevos too.

Basically was a bunch of bases clustered near the extract, so I dropped a walking barrage on the extract base, an orbital laser on a heavy base, an eagle on a mortar base and a second eagle on a random light all in about a minute. Randoms were finishing off clearing the extract point, we triggered it and zoop.

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Apr 7, 2024

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
I saw someone earlier today with a username like "himmlerreich" and that was an easy instakcim

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Strong Sauce posted:

okay so what's the deal with not choosing boosters at random (it's not someone else taking it and doesn't seem to be dependent on if you're start at the beginning or middle)

Allegedly there's a bug if someone picks a booster, then leaves the game for whatever reason, nobody else who joins can pick that booster.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah that's definitely not an alleged bug, that's exactly what happens. It's very obvious when you join into to a quick play mission with one person in it but three of the boosters are greyed out.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I keep to easy (2) missions, solo, since I'm not a joystick junkie.. I had to do the 2nd half of a 4 mission solo, when the team I had called it a night. It was 25 minutes of find hulk, Run around like chicken with head cut off because it's constantly firing missiles at me, fire at it, doing no damage, try to set up the hellbomb to kill it, only to have the Hulk shoot the hellbomb. Rinse, repeat, curse (loudly), repeat, curse (even louder) etcetera

(yes, I know you're supposed to shoot the glowy stuff on the back.. I couldn't GET at it!)

Tommy the Newt
Mar 25, 2017

Bring a support weapon that can damage its eye, like the AMR, or anti-tanks. If you're really stuck with low level gear you can kill them with the orbital precision strike; if you can unlock the EMS strike as well you can stun it so it stays still for you to shoot it or call in an orbital/airstrike, otherwise you'll have to lead your throw. Shooting it in the back is rarely something you'll be able to do solo, they will be facing you. (I know this doesn't help retroactively win that mission for you, but for the future, if you're solo, don't count on being able to backshot them).

Tommy the Newt fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Apr 7, 2024

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Does the AMR sight's offset change depending on the range you set it at? I'm having a lot of trouble with this crosshair, i know it's "off" but I can't seem to find the sweet spot for reliable shots

Lobok posted:

So Durgen is uh, not fun. Several minutes each mission when you just can't see a drat thing.

Sandstorms blind bots as much as you, you can walk up to bots with zero effort for stealth and still steal their wallet.
https://i.imgur.com/jrZvwHG.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/lAMNGRF.mp4

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Apr 7, 2024

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Someone became upset at me because both the health booster and the stamina booster hadn't been selected and I was sitting on the muscle booster. But I completed a level eight 'destroy the control tower' when a sandstorm appeared by just walking in, doing the objective and walking out. The bots didn't even notice

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008
Yeah, as long as someone has the muscle booster in play to counter the sandstorm's slow walking, I'm always happy for it to happen.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

As long as you're not bringing something useless like the reinforcement boosters (or worse, nothing) I don't really mind which boosters get brought.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m gonna bring the reinforcements boosters

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Saw my first factory strider waiting at extraction, we agreed to leave it and come back at the end, when we came back it was gone. I hope it's safe out there somewhere, wandering the sands.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

bandaid.friend posted:

Someone became upset at me because both the health booster and the stamina booster hadn't been selected and I was sitting on the muscle booster.
maybe they should have selected the health or stamina booster themselves lol

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

CelticPredator posted:

I’m gonna bring the reinforcements boosters

I brought that to a bot eradicate helldive. No regrets.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

LazyMaybe posted:

maybe they should have selected the health or stamina booster themselves lol

Yeah they spent a minute in the pods swapping between the health and stamina to get me to take either, I'm just thinking, pick one and go, I prefer mine over both

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Arglebargle III posted:

The bots can't see anything either. You can just walk into a base and plant a hellbomb.

Sure, but I have not been getting them at opportune times like you guys. The game seems to know when we're trying to explore visually or take things out from afar.

Lobok fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 7, 2024

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

there is a bug allowing robots to see you when they shouldn't during sandstorms. i think that they need to have spotted you before it starts and the accuracy penalty is still applied

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Lobok posted:

Durgen is amazing and lovely. It looks great, and when the storm comes in you can be 10 feet away from bots without either you or they knowing about it. It adds genuine tension to missions that are otherwise a bit samey.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah we were able to sneak around groups of heavies like feet in front of us during a sandstorm on Durgen to give them the slip. It felt real cool to pull off and the storm subsided just as we were out of their detection range.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020
Im gonna miss the bots yall ive grown fond of their quirks and dropships i can shoot down

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Does anyone think the armour perks will get mix 'n' matched at some point? Would especially make the Super Credits shop a lot more interesting if the perks were more randomized or shaken up. I mean unless they have been and I've missed it.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

Yeah they spent a minute in the pods swapping between the health and stamina to get me to take either, I'm just thinking, pick one and go, I prefer mine over both

fun fact, the vitality booster increases LIMB health, not your hp bar. You're extra justified in picking muscle booster over it.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Hellpod capacity, stamina booster, and muscle enhancement seem to be the clear top three boosters, especially if you're running extra stim/grenade armor.

Muscle enhancement is maybe more variable, with it being both better against bugs and invaluable on planets with deep snow/sand/sandstorms, but when it helps it really helps.

E: vvvvv didn't know that, that does make it seem more valuable. Still less than the other three though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 7, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

apostateCourier posted:

fun fact, the vitality booster increases LIMB health, not your hp bar. You're extra justified in picking muscle booster over it.
It does increase your health bar by about 30%. Not enormous but probably saves you a few deaths in the course of a game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

cheeseboy58 posted:

Im gonna miss the bots yall ive grown fond of their quirks and dropships i can shoot down

On one hand yes, but on the other I've been wanting to check out the buffs to fire damage and I've learned the hard way that bots still are not a good place to being napalm/flame throwers

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Sindai posted:

It does increase your health bar by about 30%. Not enormous but probably saves you a few deaths in the course of a game.

Wait, really? That's pretty huge if true. Runs counter to what I've heard before, but drat.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

apostateCourier posted:

Wait, really? That's pretty huge if true. Runs counter to what I've heard before, but drat.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Helldivers/comments/1b4vxq7/psa_vitality_booster_increases_max_health_by/

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

apostateCourier posted:

Even the people who bother to test and record stuff were confused for by the description for a while and focused on testing how limb health and injuries worked, so there's a lot of confusion about it.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

It is pretty awesome how radically different Bot missions feel vs Bug missions

Bugs you're getting the full Starship Troopers experience of trying to constantly make space/hold the line while frantically switching from target to target

Bots you feel like a true commando team sneaking around and making precision strikes against big facilities before disappearing back into the terrrain

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I unlocked the flame breaker and the incendiary grenades, I love them both to burning bits.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

Hot drat, that's actually a big deal. Easy fourth slot pick for sure, or third if the planet doesn't need muscle booster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

DreadUnknown posted:

I unlocked the flame breaker and the incendiary grenades, I love them both to burning bits.
Incendiary breaker is so good at clearing bug trash it's probably surpassed every support weapon in that role except the grenade launcher. If it was possible I'd seriously consider foregoing a support weapon in favor of just it and a dominator for popping guards/commanders/stalkers at range.