Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I can only imagine the kind of player who insists on RAW to the degree that they’re whipping weapons in and out of their component pouch whenever they feel like it as being the most insufferable kind of rules lawyering dickhead imaginable, and I’m glad I’ve never had to encounter that person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If I had a player like that I'd take it to the logical conclusion: If you insist your pouch can hold weapons larger than itself it must lead to extra-dimensional space. Maybe you're not the only one using such magic to steal spell components across the cosmos.

Roll a dexterity check as the long bony hand of an eldritch being bursts from your pouch, clawing desperately for the pound of flesh it needs to cast a spell.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Huh, I'd just say no.

Any other response generally reminds me of an old Knights of the Dinner Table I wish I could find (I don't usually read it so I have no idea when I read that one) in which the party rages through some orc town basically unscathed, and the DM, in a fit of pique over his carefully planned town being handled with no difficulty, has an orc kid pick a turnip from a field and lob it at the party, dealing a D10 damage and knocking a guy off his horse. The party immediately stops, because at that exact moment turnips became the most powerful mundane ranged weapons in the game, and the whole thing bogged down into an argument as the DM flailed to try and regain the game, saying like "Oh, it's a special property exclusive to turnips grown here" just in time for the party to decide to garrison the town and force orcs to farm more battle turnips. Like, definitely emergent gameplay, but stupid. Perfect example of a situation where you could have just said "Oh whoops, this whole thing is a no" at the start.

theironjef fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 7, 2024

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Probably. it's very clearly a kludgy rule change just intended to stop people from doing a thing that was too cool (shadow +boom). Whic is dumb because it's just a few extra dice end of the day; let people have cool stuff.

It's been explicitly stated by Crawford that it's not! It was to stop people from casting it with focuses/having component pouches contain weapons.
e: just in case it's not clear I think the change was dumb. This is what they thought was worth changing? Especially since as written it fucks up shadow blade and probably other spells like flame blade?

Staltran fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Apr 7, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Crawford seems to come up with a lot of solutions for problems that don't exist.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Crawford seems to spend a lot of time not coming up with solutions to problems

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Is Mulan a Sword Warlock (the Dragon is her Patron?) or a Archer Ranger with an animal companion?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

No way she's a warlock, I don't see her taking a nap between encounters or spamming eldritch blasts.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

Is Mulan a Sword Warlock (the Dragon is her Patron?) or a Archer Ranger with an animal companion?

shes a battlemaster fighter with archery as her fighting style

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Raenir Salazar posted:

quote:

Be a man
We must be swift as the coursing river
Be a man
With all the force of a great typhoon
Be a man
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon

I’d say the Drakewarden Ranger Archer with an animal companion is the way to go. Though I’d agree with above that Battlemaster Fighter Archer might be a better fit. Her best combat ability is her bow and arrow, but she also has her father’s sword, and she’s focused on physical development and martial training. She has a rapport with the cricket as well as her family dragon.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Apr 7, 2024

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

She very clearly uses Disarming Strike and Precision Attack to take down Shan Yu! She's a Battlemaster Fighter, probably Dexterity-based build.

Mushu isn't her patron or familiar he's just hanging out.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Isn't he basically an ancestral guardian?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
He's an iguana with disguise and performance expertise and the magic intitiate feat (burning hands).

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Mushu is a party member who's playing a pseudodragon bard.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Morrow posted:

Mushu is a party member who's playing a pseudodragon bard.

:hmmyes:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I dunno what adventure we are playing because I don't want spoilers but I can say that almost every loving fight our group has went in against has been a chance to just total party kill every encounter. Maybe fifth edition is just really deadly at beginning levels but its kind of ridiculous. Doesn't help we're playing Thief, Bard, Wizard, Barbarian with no healing available.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
Why does the Bard not heal

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
It's a Healing Word not a Healing Song & Dance.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hollismason posted:

I dunno what adventure we are playing because I don't want spoilers but I can say that almost every loving fight our group has went in against has been a chance to just total party kill every encounter. Maybe fifth edition is just really deadly at beginning levels but its kind of ridiculous. Doesn't help we're playing Thief, Bard, Wizard, Barbarian with no healing available.

I'm still kinda new to 5e but that seems like a somewhat squishy glass cannon party. Fast and aggressive combats might work best? Does the barb have a melee buddy?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
5e does tend to be rather deadly in the first few levels, for what it’s worth. Taking some particularly front-loaded skills can help - the Bard should definitely grab Healing Word and the Wizard should check out Sleep. Finding a way to get some temporary HP (like Heroism or Inspiring Leader) can do a lot of good as well. And that Barbarian should hopefully have a melee buddy to help share the hits - all of the other classes have subclasses that can do it.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Hollismason posted:

Yes, 5e is very deadly at level 1, somewhat deadly at level 2, and you only really hit power spikes at level 4 or 5 (extra attack and 3rd level spells change the game in terms of what you can handle).

I don't think having a healer is really relevant. 5e is not built around combat healing, and out of combat healing should be okay with a normal number of short rests and Song of Rest from your bard. But where healing is really handy at low levels, is when fights devolve to rocket tag with the Bard/Cleric/Druid popping people back up with Healing Word to get off a few more attacks to seal the deal.

I also find at low levels that Dex-secondary Light Armor classes (in your case the Bard and Wizard) really struggle with AC until they can either find a way to get medium/heavy armor or otherwise shore up their AC in various ways. If those characters are running around with 15 AC then they are going to be in a world of hurt if attacked, even though that AC is fairly normal until about level 4-5.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

A party full of people trying to optimize for combat is also gonna have a much easier time than a party of people who just choose what they think looks and sounds fun.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

If your DM allows Strixhaven spells, Wither & Bloom can allow the Wizard to heal a bit once you get to level 3.

Other than that, consider seeing if the DM will allow magic items that add healing capability. As TheDemon pointed out healing is not massively effective in 5e (something they're switching up in 1d&d by roughly doubling the number of dice for most healing spells), but in the meantime it's more of a 'get someone back up when they're unconscious' functionality than it is like say Final Fantasy's white mage.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
The Bard has the same healing spells available to it as the Cleric for the first couple of levels.

This is madness! Madness!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
5e also definitely assumes someone in the party has healing. The barbarian needs to give thr bard swirlies till they agree to start covering healing duty.

TheDemon posted:

I don't think having a healer is really relevant. 5e is not built around combat healing

Ehh, disagree. 5e is built such that in combat healing is *action inefficient*, you always heal less than you would save by going offensive, but 5e combat especially at low levels is very much a rocket tag style game where people are constantly being knocked down and a big part of the game is just keeping everyone up and effective. Healing is a big part of that and 5e definitely assumes *someone* in the party will be able to do minimal healing to return people to the fray when downed and in death saves.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 8, 2024

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if you say to your DM “i look for a healing potion” enough times, they’ll give you one

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
our DM leveled us up after each near-TPK. we reached level 4 pretty quickly.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Empty Sandwich posted:

our DM leveled us up after each near-TPK. we reached level 4 pretty quickly.

are you playing as saiyans?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

scary ghost dog posted:

are you playing as saiyans?

Why are you not?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The bard has no healing spells at all. I don't know why they didn't take any.

People just picked what they wanted to play. There wasn't like a discussion on what people were playing.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Apr 8, 2024

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Reminds me of early WoW, grouping up for a dungeon and then finding out you have a retribution spec paladin and a shadow priest who both refuse to heal.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Hollismason posted:

People just picker what they wanted to play.

'I search the room for an NPC cleric'

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

People just picked what they wanted to play. There wasn't like a discussion on what people were playing.

Right, this is where he fixes that on next level up. Or better yet you ask the DM to just let him swap now.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 8, 2024

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
Healing Word is a super Bardly spell flavor wise. “There-there buddy. Feel better.”

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

There's a hat in BG3 that lets you heal when you inspire and it absolutely slaps at lower levels.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Right, this is where he fixes that on next level up. Or better yet you ask the DM to just let him swap now.

Yeah thats what I'm going to ask.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hollismason posted:

Which one are you? The wizard? What subclass?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Which one are you? The wizard? What subclass?

Wizard , enchanter.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Hollismason posted:

I'm the DM for a party like this (the Bard and the Druid are relatively new players and neither took/prepare healing spells) but I didn't feel comfortable doing CharOp for them so I just gave the Bard an item that could heal - so I'd second seeing if the DM can be flexible here

(unfortunately she has half the HP of the other characters so is usually the one that needs healing)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Kaal posted:

quote:

Be a man
We must be swift as the coursing river
Be a man
With all the force of a great typhoon
Be a man
With all the strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon
I’d say the Drakewarden Ranger Archer with an animal companion is the way to go. Though I’d agree with above that Battlemaster Fighter Archer might be a better fit. Her best combat ability is her bow and arrow, but she also has her father’s sword, and she’s focused on physical development and martial training. She has a rapport with the cricket as well as her family dragon.

Sounds like a four elements monk to me. Swift as a coursing river [water], with all the force of a great typhoon [air], with all the strength of a raging fire [duh], mysterious as The Dark Side of the Moon [Prog Rock]