Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

smackfu posted:

We aren’t actively house shopping but we had a “let us know if you are ever interested in selling” lead come through from a friend’s neighbor for their lake house. We took a tour and are interested but there’s no selling agent or listing or firm asking price, just a mention of the Zestimate from the owner.

Anyone here ever been in this situation? I guess it’s basically for-sale-by-owner which are generally bad but we could also get a good deal and not have to compete with anyone?

Lockback posted:

I just did this exact thing this past fall, except the guy who owned the house (and actually designed and built it himself in '77) was moved into assisted care and his son who lived 2000 miles away had POA. I got a great deal BUT it also needed a lot of work. I'm not sure why it would be a big risk FSBO, I still got an appraisal and a inspection, there are tons of services you can use that mimic what a realtor would do for closing at a fraction of the price, or you can get an attorney to do it if it makes sense for the price of the house. All you are losing is a Realtor which is a mixed bag in terms of advice and advocacy anyway.

Whether you'll get a good deal depends on lots of factors but in my case it worked out as I was leveraging the risks we were taking to get a price that would have been impossible to get anywhere else. The family wasn't willing to go down the path of doing the work it needed and I knew how to use that to build it into the price, while still doing the legwork to get a very thorough inspection and so far the work has been considerably LESS than I anticipated.

This is close to what my wife and I are doing right now; the mother-in-law spotted a house four doors down from her that was going to be coming up on the market, thought "grandbaby within walking distance!!!!" and connected us up; the little old lady who'd lived there since it was built had a real estate agent, but the property wasn't listed yet. She asked an entirely reasonable price given the neighborhood and the amount of work the place needed, we offered her asking, she accepted. Closing is in about a month. We've had the inspections and it found the problems I was expecting it to find; basically the house needs about 75-100k in general updates and repairs -- half due to an enclosed porch that was enclosed poorly and the other half just because nothing inside has been updated since 1972 -- but it's underpriced for the neighborhood by [more than that]; we;ve had the appraisal and it valued the house at just enough more than the asking that I feel like we got a deal and not too much more so I don't feel bad for ripping off a nice old lady..

So we're doing this thing. We'll see how it turns out. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop; if this keeps going this smoothly it will be the easiest house sale and purchase i've ever *heard* of.

I'll report back how the renovations go. Here are some more "before" pictures:

What an entrance!

The formal living room with picture window and original 1972 carpet

This lil oven is genuinely growing on us and we might keep it, it still works!

Is. . . is that a pizza hut lamp?

A picture of the HAM radio closet had been requested

This bathroom counter stumped us until we realized grandma needed a whole counter for her curlers etc.

I'm really glad we found the place before the flippers did, limewashed it and put in grey laminate flooring everwhere, and jacked 100 grand onto the price uselessly.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Apr 7, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Congrats

It's not totally un-updated; the living room flooring looks like it got replaced in '03

Having recently moved back to be close to Grandma, I can confidently say that even if you overpaid for it, you still got a screaming deal on it

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heh, the flooring stood out to me too. Also wonder if the kitchen entry was always open all the way to the ceiling.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Cyrano4747 posted:

The thing that kills me is these vestigial loving fireplaces. The gas ones are bad enough but the electrics, come the gently caress on. Just admit that you live in the 21st century, have central heating, and throw that crap out.

Because if there's one thing I hate, it's having a TV plopped on top of the mantle for a fireplace that serves no purpose what so ever.

I’m gonna push back here. Having grown up in a home in which a wood burning stove was a center piece, I’ve been anti gas fireplace for forever. But we have one in our current interim rental and I think I’ve been turned. It’s nice to be able to just throw on for a few hours in the evening when you want some spot heat in your primary living space. And for ambience, it’s obviously not the same as a wood burning stove or fireplace, but it’s still pretty nice to plop in front of to read a book or whatever. And obviously it’s stupid convenient compared to any wood based alternatives

The newer sealed insets are even somewhat efficient kinda-sorta from what I understand

hobbez fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Apr 7, 2024

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I have gas fireplace stoves, they are efficient in that you're paying to heat that room and less is going to heat in between walls and such. I did the "install a gas stove in front of a decommissioned fireplace" thing and the first year we used it all the time. I kept waiting for the heat bill shocker since my family would keep it like 80 degrees in the living room but it was a wash.

If thats an old school 1970s burner those are great. Whatever protections electric burners have these days that prevent your skin from getting welded on to them DID NOT EXIST so those can go from 0 to the surface of the sun in about 4 seconds and boil your tea in no time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

This is close to what my wife and I are doing right now; the mother-in-law spotted a house four doors down from her that was going to be coming up on the market, thought "grandbaby within walking distance!!!!" and connected us up; the little old lady who'd lived there since it was built had a real estate agent, but the property wasn't listed yet. She asked an entirely reasonable price given the neighborhood and the amount of work the place needed, we offered her asking, she accepted. Closing is in about a month. We've had the inspections and it found the problems I was expecting it to find; basically the house needs about 75-100k in general updates and repairs -- half due to an enclosed porch that was enclosed poorly and the other half just because nothing inside has been updated since 1972 -- but it's underpriced for the neighborhood by [more than that]; we;ve had the appraisal and it valued the house at just enough more than the asking that I feel like we got a deal and not too much more so I don't feel bad for ripping off a nice old lady..

So we're doing this thing. We'll see how it turns out. I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop; if this keeps going this smoothly it will be the easiest house sale and purchase i've ever *heard* of.

I'll report back how the renovations go. Here are some more "before" pictures:

What an entrance!

The formal living room with picture window and original 1972 carpet

This lil oven is genuinely growing on us and we might keep it, it still works!

Is. . . is that a pizza hut lamp?

A picture of the HAM radio closet had been requested

This bathroom counter stumped us until we realized grandma needed a whole counter for her curlers etc.

I'm really glad we found the place before the flippers did, limewashed it and put in grey laminate flooring everwhere, and jacked 100 grand onto the price uselessly.

The only thing I'd prioritize renovating here is removing the popcorn ceilings and replacing the carpet, that house is beatiful

Don't you dare get rid of that oven

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah those ovens were tacky-awful twenty years ago but they've looped back around to charming late mid century. I'd find a way to hang on to it and make it a centerpiece of a kitchen remodel

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Vintage cooking appliances kick rear end. Don't ever get rid of them.

Rotten
May 21, 2002

As a shadow I walk in the land of the dead

hobbez posted:

I’m gonna push back here. Having grown up in a home in which a wood burning stove was a center piece, I’ve been anti gas fireplace for forever. But we have one in our current interim rental and I think I’ve been turned. It’s nice to be able to just throw on for a few hours in the evening when you want some spot heat in your primary living space. And for ambience, it’s obviously not the same as a wood burning stove or fireplace, but it’s still pretty nice to plop in front of to read a book or whatever. And obviously it’s stupid convenient compared to any wood based alternatives

Last house we were in for 10 years the primary heat was a wood stove. Now we have a heat pump and a propane fireplace and it’s really loving nice to not have to find and pay someone to drop off 2 cords of hopefully not wet wood in the driveway and spend hours hauling it to the woodshed, stacking it, then stocking it in the house as needed, every year.

Like you said it’s nice to be able to flip the fireplace on for a couple hours and have some heat. No more cleaning out ashes lol or the constant mess around it. No more splitting kindling or oversized pieces. My old bad back is much happier.
Sure the ambiance is nice but it’s a lot of work imo.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

QuarkJets posted:

The only thing I'd prioritize renovating here is removing the popcorn ceilings and replacing the carpet, that house is beatiful

We want to remove the popcorn, put in hardwood and tile floors (replacing both the carpet and the fake-wood laminate and kitchen linoleum), put built-in bookcases in the formal living room and make that a library, put in a granite countertop and a tile backsplash in the kitchen, and generally update the appliances, outlets and switches (the house does have copper wiring with a neutral line after all, despite its age; we probably will keep the oven but I want an induction cooktop). The HVAC unit also likely needs replacing (I'm still waiting on the HVAC inspector's report), there's some (relatively small from what we can tell so far) foundation issues we're getting an estimate on next Tuesday, and there was a back patio enclosure at some point that was done poorly and has caused problems so needs to be ripped down and re-done. The lot also needs re-fencing which won't be cheap because it's a half-acre lot (there's only a short chain link fence that my dog could and would leap in a second).

So a fair bit of work to do but not insurmountable or prohibitive. So far at least, looks to be right on the line where we're happy for the chance to renovate the house like we like it.

hobbez posted:

I grew up in a historic home that had giant wood burning fireplaces and I really miss them. Current house has a gas fireplace and it's . . .fine. It's nice to have on cold days but we don't really have that many cold days. I'd rather have a wood fire on snow days and make an event of it. The new place, the fireplace was built wood-burning but grandma had it converted to gas at some point; I'll probably convert it back to wood at some point but it's a low priority.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Apr 7, 2024

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

My problem with fireplaces is mostly people orienting their living room around something that rarely gets used and then cramming the TV - which is frequently used - over the mantle and making it a pain in the rear end to watch. Mostly because of my in-laws, who have this gargantuan gas fireplace that I have never, ever seen them use. It dates from the 90s and it's just what you had to have in a respectable living room I guess. As a result their TV is perched over a mantle that has to be 4 feet off the ground (it's about chest -height on me and I'm just shy of six feet) and everyone has to crane their neck up to watch it. And it's always on, because boomers.

If it's older construction (say, pre-70s) whatever, but mostly I'm annoyed by new construction that tries to pretend that - however you may feel about this as a component of our culture - the TV isn't the entertainment focus point of a modern living room. Want to stick a fireplace on the side of the room as a decoration? Cool, enjoy. But when I walk in to look at a place and see the dominant wall that you're going to have to organize furniture around with one in the middle of it, gently caress I'm out. It just really, really bugs me.

Like this:

Ugh.

Really looking forward to sitting on the couch to watch a movie with my wife and craning my neck up 30-45 degrees like I'm sitting in a bar trying to catch the game over the bartender's head.

edit: or this. Blech.

Much better:

Basically I don't like room layouts that try to pretend like the room isn't used how it really is and instead insist on a fantasy version for aesthetic purposes. Form over function sucks in a living space.

Cyrano4747 fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 7, 2024

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Not to mention that if your fireplace sees any use at all, the heat will seriously gently caress with any TV that is mounted above it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Another episode of "goons who can't look up".

LanceHunter posted:

Not to mention that if your fireplace sees any use at all, the heat will seriously gently caress with any TV that is mounted above it.

No, it won't unless your mantle is uselessly small and you do things like leave the flue closed. People have had pictures and actual animal mount above fireplaces since forever and you don't hear constant stories of grandpaws prize buck mount that got burnt up.

Is it unfortunate that there's typically not a good place to put a TV in a room with a fireplace other than above the fireplace? Yes. But unless you have actual mobility issues I just don't see how this is a big deal. I've literally never heard someone in real life have a problem with this.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Motronic posted:

Another episode of "goons who can't look up".

No, it won't unless your mantle is uselessly small and you do things like leave the flue closed. People have had pictures and actual animal mount above fireplaces since forever and you don't hear constant stories of grandpaws prize buck mount that got burnt up.

Is it unfortunate that there's typically not a good place to put a TV in a room with a fireplace other than above the fireplace? Yes. But unless you have actual mobility issues I just don't see how this is a big deal. I've literally never heard someone in real life have a problem with this.

I mean, you have now. Hi, nice to meet you.

I'm physically fine, but it's just annoying as poo poo. If it doesn't bother you, great, enjoy your TV mounted four feet off the ground. But I loving hate it.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

on another nerd forum I frequent, people regularly laugh about how lovely it looks to have a TV mounted above a fireplace. to the point where it's basically a meme joke.

ultimately it's a matter of aesthetics, up for debate:
https://www.houzz.com/magazine/design-debate-is-it-ok-to-hang-the-tv-over-the-fireplace-stsetivw-vs~73630550

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Motronic posted:

The amount of heat required to set fire to an animal mount or even to singe a painting are orders of magnitude greater than the amount of heat required to prevent the electronics in a flatscreen from being able to properly cool off while in use. Hell, even chimney companies recommend against it:

quote:

Heat & TVs Don’t Mix

Heat and television, or any other electronics for that matter, aren’t designed to get along. When it comes to mounting your television above your fireplace, it’s best to play it safe and know which fireplaces are less likely to cause you problems with overheating and which types you should avoid mounting a tv above.

Why can I not use a tv mount with a gas insert or wood stove fireplace? Because the nature of those is to make a lot of heat… which can harm the delicate electronic components inside the television.

[...]

While you can usually get away with mounting a flat-screen tv over an electric fireplace, when it comes to gas or wood-burning units made to produce heat, you must be careful what you place above the mantel. Even direct vent gas fireplace and inserts produce a substantial amount of heat that can eventually deem your television useless. You won’t notice the damage until the day comes when the television refuses to turn on.

In most cases, you should not install electronics above wood-burning stoves or gas fireplaces and inserts because they produce massive amounts of heat. That heat could severely damage your tv or other electronic devices.

An open fireplace that burns wood or decorative gas logs, which has non-removable glass doors (with gaskets and a tight-fitting latch) or air-tight doors, would frequently allow a TV to stick out from the facing IF said television was mounted in excess of 12 inches above the opening or fireplaces lintels.

Take this Quick QUIZ to Determine if a Mount Can Work for You
- Does your fireplace have air-tight doors that open with a latch?
- Does your fireplace produce heat?
- Does it have a single fixed sheet of glass in a frame, held in place with springs and a clamp?

If the answer is yes to ANY of those questions, then heat could become a problem for the TV mounted above your fireplace.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Apr 7, 2024

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pmchem posted:

on another nerd forum I frequent, people regularly laugh about how lovely it looks to have a TV mounted above a fireplace. to the point where it's basically a meme joke.

ultimately it's a matter of aesthetics, up for debate:
https://www.houzz.com/magazine/design-debate-is-it-ok-to-hang-the-tv-over-the-fireplace-stsetivw-vs~73630550

R/tvtoohigh is a popular thing

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

My problem with fireplaces is mostly people orienting their living room around something that rarely gets used and then cramming the TV - which is frequently used - over the mantle and making it a pain in the rear end to watch. Mostly because of my in-laws, who have this gargantuan gas fireplace that I have never, ever seen them use. It dates from the 90s and it's just what you had to have in a respectable living room I guess. As a result their TV is perched over a mantle that has to be 4 feet off the ground (it's about chest -height on me and I'm just shy of six feet) and everyone has to crane their neck up to watch it. And it's always on, because boomers.

If it's older construction (say, pre-70s) whatever, but mostly I'm annoyed by new construction that tries to pretend that - however you may feel about this as a component of our culture - the TV isn't the entertainment focus point of a modern living room. Want to stick a fireplace on the side of the room as a decoration? Cool, enjoy. But when I walk in to look at a place and see the dominant wall that you're going to have to organize furniture around with one in the middle of it, gently caress I'm out. It just really, really bugs me.

Like this:

Ugh.

Really looking forward to sitting on the couch to watch a movie with my wife and craning my neck up 30-45 degrees like I'm sitting in a bar trying to catch the game over the bartender's head.

edit: or this. Blech.

Much better:

Basically I don't like room layouts that try to pretend like the room isn't used how it really is and instead insist on a fantasy version for aesthetic purposes. Form over function sucks in a living space.

It's minimalist I say as I hide everything into cabinets. Look how nice my empty kitchen is!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Cyrano4747 posted:

My problem with fireplaces is mostly people orienting their living room around something that rarely gets used and then cramming the TV - which is frequently used - over the mantle and making it a pain in the rear end to watch. . . .

What I think I'm going to try in the new place is an L-shaped setup with the TV on the wall opposite the couch, the fireplace to the left of the couch, and a chair on the right of the couch.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have a fluke ir temp gun and was curious about this

The tile facing the living room immediately above the fireplace is about 82F. Further up it's the same temp as the room about 72F

Probably an important factor is

1) the fireplace is 2' deep, and we make the fire all the way at the rear, against the back wall, as god intended
2) flue is open all the way

We don't have a TV in that room because it's oddly shaped, and I'm anti having a TV in every room of the house, we just have the one in the den

I looked at various grates and ended up building a copy of my "great wall" out of some 1/2" mild steel tubing. You're supposed to use wrought iron but this has been fine and literally took me 10 minutes to bend and weld and $10 worth of steel

https://www.ashandemberoutdoors.com/collections/outdoor-fire-grates/high-efficiency-log-grate-with-reflective-fireback/HELGB.html

Mine looks like that but it's tubing on both sides and after about 10 minutes it burns really clean

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

What I think I'm going to try in the new place is an L-shaped setup with the TV on the wall opposite the couch, the fireplace to the left of the couch, and a chair on the right of the couch.

:respek: Fireplaces aren't my thing, but I can respect that layout.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

The amount of heat required to set fire to an animal mount or even to singe a painting are orders of magnitude greater than the amount of heat required to prevent the electronics in a flatscreen from being able to properly cool off while in use. Hell, even chimney companies recommend against it:

Yet no sign of an outbreak of damaged TVs in evidence after literal decades of this common practice. This seem to have no merit at all unless you have out of the ordinary extenuating circumstances with the construction of your fireplace and chimney/wall assembly. Neither of my fireplaces are much warmer than ambient above the mantle when in use.

If you don't like the look or function, by all means don't do it. But this kind of black and white "not only is is wrong for everyone, it's going to damage your TV" is just too much.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Motronic posted:

Yet no sign of an outbreak of damaged TVs in evidence after literal decades of this common practice. This seem to have no merit at all unless you have out of the ordinary extenuating circumstances with the construction of your fireplace and chimney/wall assembly. Neither of my fireplaces are much warmer than ambient above the mantle when in use.

If you don't like the look or function, by all means don't do it. But this kind of black and white "not only is is wrong for everyone, it's going to damage your TV" is just too much.

Except there is plenty of evidence of TVs malfunctioning (overheating and shutting down) and dying years before their expected EOL. Hell, in most cases it will also void your warranty. Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean that it isn't common enough that there are literally hundred of pages out there with experts recommending against the practice.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 7, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

LanceHunter posted:

Except there is plenty of evidence of TVs malfunctioning (overheating and shutting down) and dying years before their expected EOL. Hell, in most cases it will also void your warranty. Just because you have never heard of it doesn't mean that it isn't common enough that there are literally hundred of pages out there with experts recommending against the practice.

Again, this is certainly a problem for a subset of poorly built fireplaces. As a manufacturer you're going to "recomend" against that and attempt to void warranties over it or anything else. The bottom line is that most fireplaces don't have this problem.

Your very first link only supports your assertion in the headline (wait, would they do something like that just to get clicks on the Internet? Tell me it ain't so!) and then goes on to the actual nuance that matters which is: if it doesn't get hot up there, which it will not on a properly constructed fireplace, it's fine.

TVs overheat and break all the time, they don't even need help from a fireplace. Blaming overheating electronics on an external heat source is just not understanding the failure mode.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
On the gripping hand, poorly built fireplaces are hardly an ultra rarity.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That has superb bones. Nice find. Under no circumstances remove the wall oven. (A) it's nice to have a second oven (B) it rules not to have to get down on your knees to see if the cake is rising. I have that kitchen laminate flooring in my smallest bathroom. :barf:

Rotten posted:

Like you said it’s nice to be able to flip the fireplace on for a couple hours and have some heat. No more cleaning out ashes lol or the constant mess around it. No more splitting kindling or oversized pieces. My old bad back is much happier.
Sure the ambiance is nice but it’s a lot of work imo.
We were house-shopping in Vermont in the 80s. All the new builds had wood heat. We saw one that had wood stoves on three levels, absolutely no way to remove the ashes except by carrying them downstairs and out the door, and white carpet throughout.

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 7, 2024

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

absolutely no way to remove the ashes except by carrying them downstairs and out the door, and white carpet throughout.
:eyepop:

The drugs were pretty drat good in the 80s.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Motronic posted:

Again, this is certainly a problem for a subset of poorly built fireplaces. As a manufacturer you're going to "recomend" against that and attempt to void warranties over it or anything else. The bottom line is that most fireplaces don't have this problem.

Your very first link only supports your assertion in the headline (wait, would they do something like that just to get clicks on the Internet? Tell me it ain't so!) and then goes on to the actual nuance that matters which is: if it doesn't get hot up there, which it will not on a properly constructed fireplace, it's fine.

TVs overheat and break all the time, they don't even need help from a fireplace. Blaming overheating electronics on an external heat source is just not understanding the failure mode.

Anything greater than 100F I'd consider unsafe for electronics, that's not particularly hot to the touch but you shouldn't let any kind of computer equipment sit in that temperature for a long time. It's not unusual for the wall above a mantel to reach that temperature after an hour or two; heat rises, you should expect the space right in front of the fireplace and above it to be warmer than most of the room. Rooting this in numbers here, the ANSI standard is that the wall surface above the mantel is allowed to be up to 117 degrees F over ambient room temperature, and it's common for fireplace glass to reach more than 400 degrees F. So while most people may have a fireplace that's adequately built according to industry standards maybe we can agree that they're poorly-built by Motronic's standards, and then if we circle back to the original point, that means most people should not be mounting a TV above their fireplace.

If someone happens to have a wall surface above their mantel that doesn't get warm after the fireplace has been roaring for a few hours, then of course that's fine, but most people also aren't bothering to perform this measurement. So the advice should be to assume that it's not a good idea and tell them to actually use a thermometer and take some measurements rather than shrugging and saying it'll probably be fine.

Even if you don't want to believe that the space above a mantel can get warm, people also buy special mounts for their TVs that allow them to be pulled down right in front of the fireplace opening. Like look at this poo poo:

This at least tries to address the eye-line issue (you shouldn't be tilting your neck up to look at the TV), but lol someone has definitely kept their TV pulled down right in front of a roaring fire and that's funny

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Another thing to keep in mind is that if the wall temperature is 100 degrees F then the TV temperature is definitely going to be higher than that - the TV itself is a heat source, and the wall is going to get more protection from the mantle than a TV will in terms of both radiation and convection

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

It doesn't take too much heat to cook a TV if it's on more or less all the time. If someone's leaving the TV off except for an hour or two in the evening they could probably mount it to the side of their furnace and have it be fine. But if it's someone who leaves it on all day for ambient noise (or art via rotating wallpaper) it's going to be a lot more sensitive to the ambient temp.

The classic example is TVs in bars. They're always loving thrashed with visible bright/dim spots and other problems, because they're mounted high up on the wall and are on basically 24/7. With how hard they're ridden just the couple of extra degrees that you get being 12 feet above the floor is enough to drastically shorten their lifespans.

So it's going to depend a lot on use case and how much the TV is on.

As an aside, being above an active fireplace is loving terrible for anything. In gun collector circles the proverbial musket that was hung above a fireplace in a cabin is shorthand for something that's just totally, completely hosed. The combination of hot, dry air and occasional smoke/soot is nasty. In that case it's not something that happens over a few years, but something that was left there for a couple decades can be in rough shape. Same for mounted animal heads. See also: rifles that were hung above fireplaces in VWs for the better chunk of a century, which have the added impact of basically being shellacked in nicotine residue.

edit: that said, as I've said before my objection to fireplace mounting is function and aesthetics. I doubt the heat matters at all in the vast majority of cases, simply because the vast majority of these vestigial, for show only fireplaces are being lit for a handful of days a year, if that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

All the more reason to actually perform a measurement imo. If you're the kind of person who just lights a small fire for 30 minutes a few times a year then you're probably not going to measure much of a temperature difference between the wall above the mantle and the walls in the rest of the room. If you're the kind of person who's using a blower fan to make the fireplace more effective as a source of heat, and you're running it all day on snowy weekends, then that wall may be getting a bit warm - or maybe not, but may as well check!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

QuarkJets posted:

Anything greater than 100F I'd consider unsafe for electronics, that's not particularly hot to the touch but you shouldn't let any kind of computer equipment sit in that temperature for a long time.

Case temps routinely go over 100F and CPUs today usually operate around 176F. If this was true all electronics are unsafe all the time.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Lockback posted:

Case temps routinely go over 100F and CPUs today usually operate around 176F. If this was true all electronics are unsafe all the time.

I don't think that it's reasonable to compare the design temperature of a CPU to the design temperature of a television. Vizio suggests 95 degrees F is a safe upper bound. Samsung says 104.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

You're mixing environmental temperatures with internal temperatures. A big part of why the internals of your computer are at those temperatures is because the computer is in a 70-80 degree room. Also, your computer is better able to thermoregulate by ramping up fan speeds or throttling CPU/GPU. Fanless consumer electronics don't have those luxuries.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

Yeah our new place has a space above the fireplace specifically for the TV. It’s not tooooo high, I’d say the mantle base is at about 5.5 ft. I’ll say for myself personally I can’t ever remember a time TV height at that level really bothered me. Usually when I’m watching TV I’m kinda laid back anyway, so my head is naturally inclined up. Helping matters is that our primary couch will be about 15 feet or more back from the television, decreasing the severity of the viewing angle. Stylistically, I have no problem with stacking the fireplace and TV. If it works for you ergonomically, it’s very space efficient.

Worst comes to worst if it ends up being a problem we could put an entertainment console along the perpendicular wall.

As for heat, I suppose it’s worth considering. Our wooden mantel is pretty beefy though. I guess we’ll just have to see. Maybe I’ll take spot temp up there at some point

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

IOwnCalculus posted:

You're mixing environmental temperatures with internal temperatures. A big part of why the internals of your computer are at those temperatures is because the computer is in a 70-80 degree room. Also, your computer is better able to thermoregulate by ramping up fan speeds or throttling CPU/GPU. Fanless consumer electronics don't have those luxuries.

20+ years ago in undergrad I did summer work for the IT department installing wireless nodes around campus (in addition to other kinds of grunt work, like setting up patch closets). Not because there was some kind of huge wireless roll-out, but because they were on a constant replacement cycle and some of the units only lasted ~6-12 months.

For reasons I still dont understand and assume at this point was just some dean with a hard on for aesthetics, all the wireless nodes had to be hidden. Couldn't just stick it to the ceiling in an out of the way corner of a big lecture hall, it had to be literally invisible. Which meant that they all went into the attic spaces in these ~80-150 year old buildings. This campus was in the southwest, so daytime temperatures all year ranged between "hot" and "oh my loving god." These attic spaces also weren't cooled.

So you've got these buildings that are cranking AC all day long, with uncooled attics where all the hot air pushed out by the cold air down below pooled, and which to boot had the sun beating down on the very thinly insulated roofs all day. It was literally too hot to work in there during the day, so we'd only work at night. Even then it was hot enough that you were drinking gallons of water over a couple of hours doing your poo poo up there and still coming down a couple pounds lighter. Easily north of 100F at 9pm in there.

For a early 00s commercial wireless node that might as well have been the surface of the sun. Those poor things just fried non loving stop. I can't even imagine how much money they were wasting on this. On the up side, it kept me in beer money for a few years.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

If they were HP Procurves, chances are your network admin was getting free replacements under the lifetime warranty. Had a similar situation with some switches in a very poorly thought out location, but HP had no problem swapping them out with refurbished units and never asked questions

Excess heat is bad for electronics, mmk. And yes, the space around your fireplace is prone to excess heat!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Counter point, the space immediately above a fireplace is highly convective/turbulent, both you have radiant heat causing convection, plus there's a non-trivial amount of air going up the flue

In our house if it's stormy out and we get a breeze with the flue open you can feel the air move through the house during the biggest gusts

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This exactly describes my living room, except we threw out the old recliner that was the "chair ti the right of the couch" a few years ago and haven't gotten around to replacing it. We don't have kids so the couch is fine for the two of us.

One thing is that you can wind up with kind of a big gap between the couch - which needs to be not directly next to the fireplace - and the wall its facing, depending on the size of your living room. This issue has been rapidly mitigated in recent years by the ever-expanding size of affordable TVs.

Ergonomically, your screen you look at should be positioned so that your eyes are level with a spot about 2/3s or so up the screen when you sit. You can handle higher of course, if you go to the movies the screen is usually well above you, but that's for shorter periods and you may need to recline your seating position to align your head in a comfortable way. I dislike TVs above fireplaces because I think they suck to watch, leaving aside the heat and aesthetics of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

I argue if you guys are sitting in your austere amish wooden school chairs sitting perfectly upright with no back wards lean resulting in a natural upwards eye inclination you are chillaxing completely wrong