Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Mulaney Power Move posted:

We know the real story is he was supposed to be Locarno but they didn't want to pay the writer, but do they ever explain what Paris did? In the pilot he makes a vague sarcastic comment about the ghosts of the dead cadets haunting him on Christmas Eve or something, but I think that's it. For all we know he could have just choked them to death.

Do you mean what Paris did to be in jail at the beginning of Voyager? I'm sure it came up in one of the two of three times the Maquis is actually discussed in the early episodes, Paris was a talented pilot but he had daddy issues. To piss off Admiral Dad he dropped out of the academy and got hired by some friends to work for the Maquis. He got captured by Starfleet and since he didn't give a poo poo about the Maquis or their cause, he ratted them out for a lighter sentence. So when the show starts he's disliked and not trusted by either side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

So he’s a a snitch? I’d rather have it that he killed somebody

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
paris is a nepo hire

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

His snitching was what we saw in the first episode of Voyager when he agrees to guide them through the badlands.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Paris stinks, gimme more Tuvok.

I think Tim Russ is my favorite Vulcan performance in the whole franchise. There's a layer to his line delivery where I personally still get a sense of what he's feeling compared to the more rigid and stoic Vulcan performances.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

My favorite Vulcan is Teal’c with Tuvok a very close second.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

I think their actual words were "irredeemable", but yeah I am with you on that. Like the character was young stupid and did some young and stupid things that ended up getting someone killed, then he acted super lovely trying to cover it up, but that does just make for an intresting place to start a character arc.

Voyager being what it was though, they probably did make the right call. It would have been addressed for like ten minutes in one of the first three episodes and then completely forgotten about.

I was going to say -outside soap operas- had there been many character on tv who'd done horrible things and then had redemption arcs, and then I remembered Babylon 5 existed.

Gosh, watch Grimm. Though I suppose you could count that show as a Soap Opera.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

dr_rat posted:

It was the TNG ep "The First Duty". The one where Weasly got kicked out of the academy when they realized he was weasly.

Good epsiode.
He didn't get kicked out; he had to repeat a grade.

I'm still so disappointed in this episode. It would have been so much better if Picard had said, "I can't prove it, but I think I know what you little snots were up to; a real Starfleet cadet would admit to what they did because of Honor and Loyalty to their dead friend," instead of, "You confess, or I'll tell the admiral what you did." Just a few dialogue changes through the episode and we'd see Wesley go out like a hero, or at least a redeemed villain, instead of a character with all agency effectively taken away.

At least "Lower Decks" showed an interesting angle of Picard's character when we learn how and why Sito Jaxa got posted to the Enterprise after her involvement in this incident.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

My favorite Vulcan is Teal’c with Tuvok a very close second.

Indeed?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

galagazombie posted:

It was kinda of the Bizarro version of the Runabouts, which were supposed to be these clunkers so big as to almost be a proper starship, yet seemed to only consist of a cockpit so small it could’ve been reused as a shuttlepod set on TNG and no one would notice the difference (Yes I remember the TNG episode with the meeting room. And no, it doesn’t count.)

The Runabouts made sense for DS9, even pre-Wormhole discovery, just as something long-range for a remote Starfleet outpost with little tactical importance to have to run errands. Whether down to Bajor, or just off to whereever the nearest Starfleet presence actually is. They definitely should've built out and used the aft-section set more often though rather than just the cockpit.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Runabouts made sense for DS9, even pre-Wormhole discovery, just as something long-range for a remote Starfleet outpost with little tactical importance to have to run errands. Whether down to Bajor, or just off to whereever the nearest Starfleet presence actually is. They definitely should've built out and used the aft-section set more often though rather than just the cockpit.

It is crazy to me they didn't build that set for seasons 1-3 considering how much of the series takes place in runabouts. Hell, just redress a TNG ready room

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Admiralty Flag posted:

He didn't get kicked out; he had to repeat a grade.

I'm still so disappointed in this episode. It would have been so much better if Picard had said, "I can't prove it, but I think I know what you little snots were up to; a real Starfleet cadet would admit to what they did because of Honor and Loyalty to their dead friend," instead of, "You confess, or I'll tell the admiral what you did." Just a few dialogue changes through the episode and we'd see Wesley go out like a hero, or at least a redeemed villain, instead of a character with all agency effectively taken away.

At least "Lower Decks" showed an interesting angle of Picard's character when we learn how and why Sito Jaxa got posted to the Enterprise after her involvement in this incident.

Honour and loyalty aren't the main virtues Startleet wants to instil, though. They're good to have in certain amounts, but they're double edged qualities - a sense of loyalty was what was pulling Wes in the wrong direction, remember. Starfleet cares about the truth over anything else, that's the point of the episode.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Truth?! I thought Starfleet's number 1 priority was finding green alien babes to have sex with?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The first duty... Is to that booty

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Neelix had it right. Their first priority is building the most advanced space faring vessels and then finding anomalies to rip them apart.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The first duty... Is to that booty

Whether scientific booty or historical booty or personal booty

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

It is the guiding posterior on which starfleet is based.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

TheKingslayer posted:

Paris stinks, gimme more Tuvok.

I think Tim Russ is my favorite Vulcan performance in the whole franchise. There's a layer to his line delivery where I personally still get a sense of what he's feeling compared to the more rigid and stoic Vulcan performances.

That’s always the trick with Vulcans, either by the actors or the people directing them. In normal circumstances there still needs to be emotion, just very little of it displayed. It’s a very tight line to walk on. Main character Vulcans usually do get it mostly right though.

It’s almost certainly being done for comedy but I think Lower Decks has my least favorite Vulcans of all? Too robotic in all things, too commonly rude and short with everyone.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

getting some strange new worlds

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

I think main character Vulcans just like being around humans because they appreciate their wit so much more.

Like, you know how the French love Jerry Lewis and Germans love David Hasselhoff?

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
What do you think Vulcans most favorite / least favorite human media would be?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I feel like Vulcans would love game shows.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

ChairmanMauzer posted:

Moneyball would be a favorite.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

they’d probably love countdown and hate dragon ball z

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Weakest Link is basically their school syetem

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

calmly explaining to a vulcan ambassador how goku is one of the most treasured characters in human fiction

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kibayasu posted:

It’s almost certainly being done for comedy but I think Lower Decks has my least favorite Vulcans of all? Too robotic in all things, too commonly rude and short with everyone.

T'lyn's pretty great. Also, what we learn in Lower Decks about how Starfleet is where the more emotional, less robotic Vulcans entering space service go does create an implied selection bias where the crew of Vulcan ships would be more robotic and rude than your average Vulcan.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

The Discovery crew has to be told who Picard was but the engineer guy knew who Soong was, I don’t buy it

Soong. What, the geneticist that worked on the Khan project? No, no, one of his decedents was a famous roboticist responsible for the positronic brain in used in all the androids that are ubiquitous here in the future.

Sure, that could come up in casual conversation.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

ChairmanMauzer posted:

WWE wrestling and Olympic wrestling, respectively

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

Space Jam posted:

calmly explaining to a vulcan ambassador how goku is one of the most treasured characters in human fiction

They would never admit it but they do appreciate the thinly-veiled Andorian parody (Piccolo)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wanna take Martok out to pro wrestling.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

lol klingons would loving love WWE

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Non Compos Mentis posted:

paris is a nepo hire

The dark secret of Starfleet is that they are all nepo babies. Sure it's a meritocracy and you have to pass tests to get in . . . but you also need a recommendation. You (or your parents) have to know somebody will write you a recommendation. And you can bet a recommendation from a high ranking official carries more weight.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

"His manager is distracting the referee! This son of a targ is without honor!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Moneyball would be a favorite.

I think they'd be really good at numberwang

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Kibayasu posted:

That’s always the trick with Vulcans, either by the actors or the people directing them. In normal circumstances there still needs to be emotion, just very little of it displayed. It’s a very tight line to walk on. Main character Vulcans usually do get it mostly right though.

That's a Vulcan being surly because they got punished. She is trying to be a "perfect" Vulcan to get back into the Vulcan fleet.

It'll be interesting to see where they go with her now that she's decided she doesn't want to go back.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vulcans actually love comedy.

Of course, it takes a keen, sophisticated intellect to fully appreciate the nuances of culture, society, history, psychology and temporal execution that goes into a properly delivered "Who's On First?" routine.

One cannot appreciate Duck Soup until one has seen it performed in the original Vulcan.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

"Who is playing in the first baseman's position?"

"Affirmative."

"Who is the individual who will occupy the first base when the team is playing the field?"

"Indeed."

"What is the name of this individual at the first of the four bases?"

"You are in error. What is the name of the individual who is designated for the second base position."

"I am unaware."

"That person is designated to play the third base position."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

lol

One of my little fantasies of post DS9 Trek is that baseball does indeed become popular with Vulcans, first spreading from ship to ship and then the first leagues forming on Vulcan colony planets, to one day make it to Vulcan proper, the Big Leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
All my post-DS9 fantasies involve Joseph Sisko opening the first Creole restaurant on Bajor.