Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Tahirovic posted:

It would still trigger NATO defense mode in Europe, so there‘d be 100s of planes and dozens of ships bombing Russia.
Russia being dumb enough to attack the Baltics would probably be the quickest way for the Ukraine war to end on a positive note. Unless the West goes back to appeasement, which I very much doubt could happen in Europe.

Like sure Riga gets destroyed, to later be rebuilt with European funds, while Russia gets decimated with no way back.

That‘s the simple way a conventional war would go, everything else involving Nukes is Clancy chat and kinda pointless.

In a passionate Bundestag speech, German AFD chancellor Bernd Höcke reiterated today that he will not send Germany's youth and future into a brutal war of attrition in the Baltics to defend Latvia's racist and inhuman anti-Russian discrimination policies. In his opinion, Latvia needs to negotiate an end to this senseless killing as fast as possible and agree to a compromise that's acceptable to both sides.

He is not alone in this decision, as America's President Trump, Italy's PM Meloni and France's President Le Pen have made similar declarations in the past days. The four nations are what's commonly called the "Peace coalition" by European right-wing extremists and online tankies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

rowkey bilbao posted:

So Slovakia just elected a pro Putin dipshit as president.?Idk if he's in a position to accomplish much but i don't like it.
They alreayd had a Putin appreciator as PM so this probably doesn't change much but it's not a great sign

GABA ghoul posted:

In a passionate Bundestag speech, German AFD chancellor Bernd Höcke reiterated today that he will not send Germany's youth and future into a brutal war of attrition in the Baltics to defend Latvia's racist and inhuman anti-Russian discrimination policies. In his opinion, Latvia needs to negotiate an end to this senseless killing as fast as possible and agree to a compromise that's acceptable to both sides.

He is not alone in this decision, as America's President Trump, Italy's PM Meloni and France's President Le Pen have made similar declarations in the past days. The four nations are what's commonly called the "Peace coalition" by European right-wing extremists and online tankies.
Don't forget Sovakia's President Dipshit here.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
The current lot want to reduce penalties for corruption and reduce the strength of the law governing corruption.

I don't think anything else needs to be said about them other than grift.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Tai posted:

The current lot want to reduce penalties for corruption and reduce the strength of the law governing corruption.

I don't think anything else needs to be said about them other than grift.

Treason? :guillotine:

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Rip Slovakia, soon to be a russian oblast know as Slovalada

haddedam fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 7, 2024

Tai
Mar 8, 2006

Maybe yea. Everything recently has looked like a bunch of grifters rigging the rules so that they can have a good run of rinsing the country but making sure the laws are so weak they can peace out on a pile of cash after 1-2 terms. Might as well add in some payouts from Russia to give Putin some lip service at not cost to them. It's so strange how the Czechs have moved so far appart.

DiomedesGodshill
Feb 21, 2009

haddedam posted:

Rip Slovakia, soon to be a russian oblast know as Slovahyundai

Slovalada. Also Japan should really apply for NATO membership for the giggles.

e:f,b

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Its a north atlantic

zone
Dec 6, 2016

There's that mysterious Russian soul again people keep talking about.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
"slovalada" pronounced like Mr lover lover as said by music star Shaggy

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Russian soul man *be-dat da-dat, be-dat da-daaa*

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Karate Bastard posted:

Russian soul man *be-dat da-dat, be-dat da-daaa*

If the rate of attrition keep up you might have to spell it "sole".

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Little Big did an exposé of the "Russian soul" as a concept in their 2014 hit "Everyday I'm drinking".

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Take it from me, when a bunch of loving Quislings want to take political power to aid the cause of the current Strong Man fascist, it really should be a cause for concern.

You hear someone speak highly of them, that's your hint that this person when push comes to shove would collaborate their rear end off and would betray their country (to say nothing of honor, decency and human rights) to said fascists at the mere suggestion of status with the enemy regime.

People are the same as they always were.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

https://x.com/washingtonpost/status/1776990258963366398

Never surrender, but Ukraine should totally surrender.

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Here is my shocked face

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Here is my orange bitchface

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

So I would ask what would happen when little poot himself shoots down this proposal, but I'm pretty sure the answer just involves trying to pressure Ukraine into giving up more and more until he accepts.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

rowkey bilbao posted:

So Slovakia just elected a pro Putin dipshit as president.?Idk if he's in a position to accomplish much but i don't like it.

Nobody has given a single gently caress about them since they split from the much more sexy Czech Rep :wave:

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 7, 2024

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

sauer kraut posted:

Nobody has given a single gently caress about them since they split from the much more sexy Czech Rep :wave:

Unfortunately they get to derail everything in the EU and NATO now :negative:

To be fair...
Feb 3, 2006
Film Producer

GABA ghoul posted:

Now THIS is doomerism.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

The four nations are what's commonly called the "Peace coalition" by European right-wing extremists and online tankies.

The Chamberlain coalition by everyone else. "Peace for our time".

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

just give hitler czechoslovakia there's no way he would...poland you say oh noo

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

just give hitler czechoslovakia there's no way he would...poland you say oh noo

Surely a Non Aggression Pact would help.

Or rather, a Non Aggression Putin Pact Year.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

As we learned in Mr. Putin's history lesson, Poland started World War II by not cooperating with Hitler. Also by cooperating too much with Hitler.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

To be fair... posted:

Now THIS is doomerism.

Lol, which part?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
:rolleyes:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

GABA ghoul posted:

This is very unrealistic. The AfD doesn't have enough voter potential to get the chancellery. (Unless appointed by the president, of course)

The speech will be held by Friedrich Merz in a coalition government with the AfD, decrying the Gender Warriors of Ukraine and the Woke Welfare Tourists they send to Germany and how supporting the Baltics would strain German pensions.

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Höke just misses the good old days of teaming up with russia to purge undesirables. Article 5 would put an end to the only nation in europe who still knows how to engineer a good camp and delete groups of people from history.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
My coworker said his uncle works in a factory in Zaporizhzhia and he just left as rockets slammed into the factory. 3rd time the factory has been hit and his uncle has been lucky enough to be off duty all those times.

I dunno if the uncle is ukrainan or russian but my coworker is russian, or maybe ex-russian. Not a war supporter at any rate.

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

His Divine Shadow posted:

My coworker said his uncle works in a factory in Zaporizhzhia and he just left as rockets slammed into the factory. 3rd time the factory has been hit and his uncle has been lucky enough to be off duty all those times.

I dunno if the uncle is ukrainan or russian but my coworker is russian, or maybe ex-russian. Not a war supporter at any rate.

It was better when all uncles worked for Nintendo.

I don't know how could I work under constant bomb threat. Maybe with weekly cannabis rations

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Vodka and krokodil seems to be the preferred solution.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Maybe they shouldn't have turned them into mobiks either, or press ganged them for military reasons, but what do I know

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

But enough about tory plans for the NHS, onto the intelligence update!

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

sauer kraut posted:

The slob ex who ditches their hot partner everyone else wanted to hook up with then gets mad they're not getting any offers themselves.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

quote:

New Rules For Music In Chechnya: Can't Be Too Slow, Can't Be Too Fast

Chechen authorities have ordered that all musical, vocal, and choreographic works performed in the Russian region must have a playback at between 80 and 116 beats per minute. Regional Culture Minister Musa Dadayev announced the restrictions on April 4, according to the official Grozny-Info news agency. It's unclear exactly how the restrictions will apply or would be enforced in the tightly controlled Muslim region, but Russian news outlet Meduza said the tempo of the Russian national anthem would be considered too slow under the restrictions, while most popular dance and hip-hop music would be considered too fast.

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-chechnya-music-tempo/32893827.html

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

spankmeister posted:

It seems like Putin wants to test NATO's resolve. Is NATO really going to war with Russia, risking a nuclear exchange, over Estionia and/or Latvia?

Yes they are NATO members and article 5 applies, but Putin seems determined to put it to the test.
One thing to keep in mind is that regardless of how much the big guys care about these countries, if they don't respond and escalate to any level necessary, NATO stops mattering overnight and the US hegemony starts unraveling.

Trying to see if this happens could be something that Putin might want to try, but it's also the kind of thing that can very easily end in a nuclear war, and Putin is I'm sure fully aware of this, and doesn't actually want to die in a nuclear fire any more than anyone else.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

How is it the dumbest conservatives always end up arguing that improper dancing is the problem?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
In the middle of the street?!

Somebody notify the chief of police

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

No sir, I swear, those were 8th notes not quater!