Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Mister Bates posted:

Fantastic post

Really insightful.

I read the group navigator, Crosby’s, book, and he was far more jaded and obviously traumatized than I think they would ever show on screen.

Even the part where he cheats on his wife with the SOE girl, in his memoirs, is clearly because his brain is broken with PTSD, something we see with veterans all the time now. Because he went on to be a literature professor, he does a great job explaining how he was in an emotional fugue state chasing dopamine. Instead they made it into… kind of a love story?

The other thing is, the squadrons had an atrocious casualty rate, with people who survived going home or to staff positions (like he does), and for a TV show not committed to actually introducing characters and killing them off, when they’re all wearing masks and flight helmets in the combat scenes, I think requires more skill than they had.

They could either introduce characters that are barely memorable, only to have them die, which Crosby says was his experience and why he didn’t bother getting to know new crews, or follow aircrews into their desk jobs, or teaching rotations in the US. That’s hard though, and makes demands on the audience.

The aircrew instruction system where combat veterans tried to prepare these kids for what awaited them in Europe is interesting, and the stories of the instructors being back in the states while the war was still on, nobody even knew what PTSD was etc. is really understudied in military history, and has made no progress at all in pop history, other than The Pacific, I suppose - where the machine gun team leader returns to training duties only to be killed at Iwo Jima.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Really insightful.

I read the group navigator, Crosby’s, book, and he was far more jaded and obviously traumatized than I think they would ever show on screen.

Even the part where he cheats on his wife with the SOE girl, in his memoirs, is clearly because his brain is broken with PTSD, something we see with veterans all the time now. Because he went on to be a literature professor, he does a great job explaining how he was in an emotional fugue state chasing dopamine. Instead they made it into… kind of a love story?

The other thing is, the squadrons had an atrocious casualty rate, with people who survived going home or to staff positions (like he does), and for a TV show not committed to actually introducing characters and killing them off, when they’re all wearing masks and flight helmets in the combat scenes, I think requires more skill than they had.

They could either introduce characters that are barely memorable, only to have them die, which Crosby says was his experience and why he didn’t bother getting to know new crews, or follow aircrews into their desk jobs, or teaching rotations in the US. That’s hard though, and makes demands on the audience.

The aircrew instruction system where combat veterans tried to prepare these kids for what awaited them in Europe is interesting, and the stories of the instructors being back in the states while the war was still on, nobody even knew what PTSD was etc. is really understudied in military history, and has made no progress at all in pop history, other than The Pacific, I suppose - where the machine gun team leader returns to training duties only to be killed at Iwo Jima.

The part in the Pacific where the boot camp Marine says he wants to slap a jap and basilone flips out at him is a pretty cool inversion of the first episode hype speech by chesty puller

You'd never see writing like that now

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I knew the depiction of the Red Army was going to be what it was but I was still speechless seeing a literal horde in rags shooting Germans attempting to surrender.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I knew the depiction of the Red Army was going to be what it was but I was still speechless seeing a literal horde in rags shooting Germans attempting to surrender.

Yeah that's stealing Canadian valor

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Exactly, minus the rags thing because our battledress was very well made.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Ardennes posted:

Maybe the US was just a lot more confident in itself in the 2000s when you can have some complexity, and the US isn't necessarily the good guys (look at The Pacific). Now the wagons are circled, and it is pure hearted America versus the baddies (the Russkies may be the worst of them all!).

It is ironic because, even adjusting for inflation, Masters of the Air has a higher budget and has much better access to CGI tech than a show from 2001. Even some pretty important stuff like how the turrets worked supposedly was screwed up.

cgi improved, then plateaued and then got worse as Hollywood and capitalism destroyed all the cgi studios and scattered the artists to the wind. It's not just that the actual graphics themselves have gone backwards, there seems to have been a loss of technique. Take the original Jurassic park, the T-rex sequence still holds up because its dark and rainy and that natural loss of fidelity hides all the things that make your brain go 'hey that's not right'. Now the arrogant, or dumb, bastards don't bother and they just throw some poo poo up that looks terrible and in full lighting.

I have no problem believing a 2001 show could have better everything than something made in in the last decade.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

cgi improved, then plateaued and then got worse as Hollywood and capitalism destroyed all the cgi studios and scattered the artists to the wind. It's not just that the actual graphics themselves have gone backwards, there seems to have been a loss of technique. Take the original Jurassic park, the T-rex sequence still holds up because its dark and rainy and that natural loss of fidelity hides all the things that make your brain go 'hey that's not right'. Now the arrogant, or dumb, bastards don't bother and they just throw some poo poo up that looks terrible and in full lighting.

I have no problem believing a 2001 show could have better everything than something made in in the last decade.

Yeah the Godzilla vs Kong or whatever new movie trailer looks like an Xbox cutscenes, pure dogshit

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

With Marvel I am a bit shocked how bad things look tbh. CGI looks more “fake” than I can remember in a long time.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

I once read something wise written on the bumper of a car. "kill your television" the sticker read

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KomradeX posted:

It was okay

It was pretty loving far from okay.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Ridley Scott did the same thing in Napoleon, we are suppose to look at a Russians as destitute asiatics dressed in primitive attire.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's not fair to blame CGI for Marvel movies.

At least the 2nd Avatar movie is still bright and colorful.

Griz
May 21, 2001

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

With Marvel I am a bit shocked how bad things look tbh. CGI looks more “fake” than I can remember in a long time.

starship troopers spent half its budget on special effects (combo of 90s CGI and practical effects) and that still looks better than most of the poo poo coming out now

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Just thinking about the movies I can think of with was-great-then-still-great-now special effects, it's all mid 90s - mid 2000s stuff

Apollo 13 - 1995
Jurassic Park - 1993
The Matrix - 1999
The Lord of the Rings - 2001-2003
The OG Pirates of the Caribbean - 2003
Saving Private Ryan - 1999

even lower budget effects movies from back then like Event Horizon still looks miles better than the same grade of shlock now because back then the guys doing the effects had some craft and hadnt been punched into the ground by the studio cost cutting and refusal to do anything practical to anchor the cg

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Just thinking about the movies I can think of with was-great-then-still-great-now special effects, it's all mid 90s - mid 2000s stuff

Apollo 13 - 1995
Jurassic Park - 1993
The Matrix - 1999

even lower budget effects movies from back then like Event Horizon still looks miles better than the same grade of shlock now because back then the guys doing the effects had some craft and hadnt been punched into the ground by the studio cost cutting and refusal to do anything practical to anchor the cg

I think you might be a little biased toward movies that came out in your formatinr years... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Shrinking_Man (1957) looks great today.

e: lot of effort

quote:

Some special effects shots were the earliest taken for the picture. For example, shots with Randy Stuart were taken against a black velvet backdrop and then composited with shots of Williams on an enlarged living room set. Their movements were synchronized using negatives from the first exposed scene in the camera gate, with the opposite done for the other scene.[13] Sound production began on May 31.[14] An oversized dollhouse was built for Williams on Stage 28. It had previously been used for The Phantom of the Opera and Dracula.[15] Arnold said he filmed scenes with the cat in a normal studio with an animal trainer who had about 40 identical cats.[16] To coax the cat to approach the dollhouse, Arnold hid food in it so the cat would find a way into the house.[17] Later he timed the cat's reactions and directed Williams accordingly to react to the cat.[17] Arnold first attempted to follow the novel and use a black widow spider. After preliminary tests, he found black widows were too small to use properly in the film.[18] In an interview with Tom Weaver, Randy Stuart said the spiders presented problems. The overhead lamps on the set had to be turned up high, leading to the deaths of 24 tarantulas.[19] They were directed with little puffs of air, a technique which had been used previously in Arnold's film Tarantula.[19] Despite sources suggesting otherwise, the films did not use the same tarantulas.[19][1]

Many of the basement scenes were shot on Stage 12 of Universal Studios which, according to Tom Weaver, was one of the largest sound stages in the world at the time.[20] While trying to find a way to simulate giant drops of water landing, Arnold recalled a time when he was a child and found condoms in his father's drawer. Not knowing what they were, he filled them with water and dropped them.[21] Arnold ordered about 100 condoms and placed them on a treadmill so they would drop in sequence.[21] The flood scene was shot on July 2 and 3.[22] There was a 20-minute delay in filming because of a bad camera cable. There was a further delay from 11:05 am to 11:25 am to allow water to drain so a crane could be used properly.[23] These scenes involved nine-hour workdays.

mawarannahr has issued a correction as of 21:54 on Apr 7, 2024

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Like, just watch old movies and shows. Once in a while, there comes a new show like Shogun that looks good, but the percentage of terrible looking new shows are too high.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mawarannahr posted:

I think you might be a little biased toward movies that came out in your formatinr years... https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Shrinking_Man (1957) looks great today.

e: lot of effort

oh yeah, for sure. there's tons of earlier stuff that still looks good. Aliens, 2001 a space Odyssey, the Incredible Shrinking Man, the Fly, the Blob, all kinds of cool stuff. I'd just peg ~2005ish as when stuff actively started to look worse with "better" sfx technology instead of better and the era immediately preceeding that is Peak Special Effects.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Isn't that because they shot on videotape?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
There is plenty of good CGI out there that goes unnoticed because it just blends into an existing set. Zodiac for example heavily uses CGI and seems like almost entirely a practical movie with little action. It is the giant complex shots that can look absolutely ridiculous, especially if they get rushed, which is becoming more and more common.

Honestly, Marvel and all the franchise films of the late 2000s until today happened in the first place because Hollywood categorically refuses to take risky or political scripts, and something needed to be fed into the pipeline.

Everyone was expecting to eventually get a "good film" on Afghanistan or Iraq and the closest you got was Generation Kill. Three Kings is not as good as people remember it was (even if it was Iraq 1).

-----------

Supposedly, Shogun is good and from what I have seen it has held up even if it is a remake, Dune 2 sounded solid as well. There isn't 100% nothing in terms of output but it is getting much more threadbare.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 22:06 on Apr 7, 2024

Griz
May 21, 2001

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly, Shogun is good and from what I have seen it has held up even if it is a remake, Dune 2 sounded solid as well. There isn't 100% nothing in terms of output but it is getting much more threadbare.

shogun had an enormous costume budget and consulted actual historical experts on how to make it all period-accurate
https://variety.com/2024/artisans/n...oks-1235922133/

it's also really good and far less racist than the book

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
Shogun is very well-made and entertaining. I don't know enough about the history to comment on the accuracy.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Also, Hollywood wanted to replace practical stunts/special effects with CGI because they wanted to remove the union workers and hand the works to oversea cgi slaves.

Why else would you replace realistic and fun blood squirts with fake rear end cgi blood?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Cleanup between takes

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

It is the giant complex shots that can look absolutely ridiculous, especially if they get rushed, which is becoming more and more common.

I do feel pretty bummed out about that, though. It feels like every big effects movie has adopted the George Lucas prequel directing school of producing mashed turds with a marketing department.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Also, Hollywood wanted to replace practical stunts/special effects with CGI because they wanted to remove the union workers and hand the works to oversea cgi slaves.

Why else would you replace realistic and fun blood squirts with fake rear end cgi blood?

this has been a general thing, ruthlessly eliminate direct staff - outsource the art department to ex-warsaw europe / the phillipines (just as good, but financial capitalism hasn't murdered their cost of living)

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Just sit in this green colored prop rocking back and fore like you are riding a motorcycle and talk to this tennis ball like you are looking at the love of your life and we will let the cgi slaves take care of everything. And we will tell them to make last min rendering change to make the shot extra fake.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

stephenthinkpad posted:

Imagine how stupid Total Recall or any Paul Verhoeven movie would look with that lovely cgi blood. Squibs - never accept anything less.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Three Kings is not as good as people remember it was (even if it was Iraq 1).

:wrong:

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

I liked watching Archer.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BadOptics posted:

Imagine how stupid Total Recall or any Paul Verhoeven movie would look with that lovely cgi blood. Squibs - never accept anything less.

pretty sure the outcome of the Rust shooting is that we're never getting a non-cgi gun in a movie ever again

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

The Oldest Man posted:

pretty sure the outcome of the Rust shooting is that we're never getting a non-cgi gun in a movie ever again

Wasn't that also the result of the studio or someone wanting to cut corners because they hate dealing with unionized employees? Strange how everything that was torn apart to fight unionized workers (cgi, firearm safety, etc.) went to poo poo and/or directly harmed other workers on set....

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Z the IVth posted:

In Stross's similarly themed Laundry series the UK's survival strategy for the apocalypse involves appointimg Nyarlahotep as Prime Minister.

lmao that owns

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

BadOptics posted:

Wasn't that also the result of the studio or someone wanting to cut corners because they hate dealing with unionized employees? Strange how everything that was torn apart to fight unionized workers (cgi, firearm safety, etc.) went to poo poo and/or directly harmed other workers on set....

The entire movie was a poo poo-show from top to bottom yeah https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rust_shooting_incident#Union_disputes_and_safety_complaints

Griz
May 21, 2001

The Oldest Man posted:

all the john wick movies used prop guns with vfx and that was perfectly fine

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Griz posted:

all the john wick movies used prop guns with vfx and that was perfectly fine

still bummed that a movie like Ronin will never be shot again because all of the techniques used to make it are basically lostech and it's cheaper to just have some dirt-quality vfx shop churn out something Good Enough for the marketing department to make hay with

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

BadOptics posted:

The non- union armorer was also a nepo baby!It hits every beat!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://vm.tiktok.com/ZSFgrJE9p/

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Regarde Aduck posted:

Don't forget that for all the money they spend on CGI they want it fast so they don't give these studios enough time to render things out cause we've got a schedule of Marvel movies to put out

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

The Oldest Man posted:

Apollo 13 - 1995
Jurassic Park - 1993
The Matrix - 1999

dont forget about the phantom menace 💅

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mandel Brotset posted:

dont forget about the phantom menace 💅

It is really funny how it looks better than the later entries in the series