Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
People also Ask:

Why does everyone else get the pizza, while I only get the crust?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Palworld looks really pretty from the gameplay footage I saw and it made me sad that every Pokemon game is churned out in 2 years so they're increasingly buggy and the textures look like they belong to a gamecube game. I think Pokemon games are nice and I don't think the devs are lazy or anything, I just think they're beholden to draconian release schedules that make it impossible to fully bake their games and that is sad.

On topic: Dead By Daylight has a random item acquisition system that you have SOME control over but not total control and there are some items that are functionally worthless (item that makes the map have a little fog... which in effect is just a lovely little cloud you can see through anyway every 5 feet) or generally only taken by assholes (going to maps that are awful to play on for one side) so I just have like 200 of these items rotting in my inventory on every character and there's nothing to do with them :argh:

You might ask "why not use them anyway" and it's because there are offerings that are actually beneficial, like increasing the amount of points you can get, and you can only use one per match, so there's really no reason not to take points-increasers every single match.

Tiny Myers has a new favorite as of 05:08 on Apr 6, 2024

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Well? How many?

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
I didn't look I'm not that far in chainsaw man yet

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's interesting that some digimon with -dramon in the name are using it as a dragon suffix, but then some of them it's actually part of the prefix, like Megidramon is not parsed as Megi-Dramon which I thought weird and initially just thought it was because Megadramon was already taken, It's Megidra-mon because it's going for the biblical city of Megiddo where the apocalypse is supposed to happen (also the same name that gives Armageddon), because (Ar)Megidramon is so dangerous it's very existence causes radioactive fallout.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
I guess I just learned the root of Megidolaon from your post too. Neat!

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Update: Playing Old Gods of Asgard does in fact help you fight bosses in other video games. Got past the spider. A thing dragging games down is that they don't all have boss fights set to Poets of the Fall infused rock music.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ehhh, just got softlocked in The Chant because I didn't have enough throwing weapons for an enemy that really requires it and now I'm trapped due to an autosave on the other side of the arena and I cannot craft any of the throwing items or go anywhere else to find more crafting items. If I replay the game I'll have to be a lot more careful, but gonna give it a rest for now and play something else. Shame too as this was a cool chapter.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Tunicate posted:

with guns and chains?

buddy they don't need the animal

:v:: Paint Agumon but like, war style.
:hmmyes:: Ah yes, give it camo and add a whole bunch of cool militaristic attachments, night vision goggles for eyes. Or bulky armor plates on him. Maybe a big snpier rifle arm cannon or something for a weapon. That's a fun idea!
:v: No just dress it up like a solider and give it a M16 that's not attached to them at all in anyway.

Croccers has a new favorite as of 16:39 on Apr 7, 2024

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
he's using digicam

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dumb design in Immortal of Aveum where the interact button is the same as the use mana recharge consumable. Which means if you're not lined up perfectly to the interact point you'll probably end up accidentally using it.

Also this might be wrong but if your best friend is presumed dead in a big battle at the beginning of the game and after a time skip you're introduced to a masked enemy general? Yeah, I'm just going to assume your twist here.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

How often in fiction has the masked guy turned out to be some random dude the hero has never met?

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 19:10 on Apr 7, 2024

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Inspector Gesicht posted:

How often in fiction has the masked guy turned out to be some random dude the hero has never met?

Death Stranding kinda as you never knew the villain before, you only know him when he starts causing trouble.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Wo Long - the companions are really loving annoying. They just keep getting in my way.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Immortals of Aveum feels like a game that doesn't know what it wants to be. It tries to be magic Call of Duty but also has loot with different weapons/gear as well as light Metroidvania backtracking. Also there's this alternate dimension training area which looks like they stole it from Control.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

tbf in 2024 you kind of have to assume that any action game with magic is going to have an extradimensional void you return to over the course of the game, it would be almost weird if it didn’t

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

the best part of this is that venom snake is also some random rear end in a top hat so he spends an entire jeep ride giving a huge monologue to the wrong dude

kojima is a fuckin artist

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Are you sure you want to be introduced to about 70% of Gundam?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

muscles like this! posted:

Dumb design in Immortal of Aveum where the interact button is the same as the use mana recharge consumable. Which means if you're not lined up perfectly to the interact point you'll probably end up accidentally using it.

Similar in Dragons Dogma 2 and also LAD:Infinite Wealth, the interact button is the same as the run button. I have no idea why this is a thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can’t upload my ps4 ghost of Tsushima game and get it over to my ps5. Everything says just upload the data to the cloud and then the ps5 will download it but it’s not working for me.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Cleretic posted:

Are you sure you want to be introduced to about 70% of Gundam?

why wouldnt he? gundam rules

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Meowywitch posted:

why wouldnt he? gundam rules

Gundam does rule, but some people don't like suddenly getting locked in on several decades of cool robots and then inevitably getting taken in by the siren's call of model kits.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

oldpainless posted:

I can’t upload my ps4 ghost of Tsushima game and get it over to my ps5. Everything says just upload the data to the cloud and then the ps5 will download it but it’s not working for me.

more like

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Gundam does rule, but some people don't like suddenly getting locked in on several decades of cool robots and then inevitably getting taken in by the siren's call of model kits.

That's only because they haven't experienced the joy, yet.

Golden Dragon
Apr 9, 2007

Always speak politely to an enraged Dragon

Morpheus posted:

Similar in Dragons Dogma 2 and also LAD:Infinite Wealth, the interact button is the same as the run button. I have no idea why this is a thing.

so many times did I accidentally pick up my portcrystal trying to run after warping somewhere

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

Morpheus posted:

Even weirder in Infinite Wealth: you can run with either RT or the A button. So you don't have to have this issue, but you absolutely can (presumably because previous games allowed pressing A to run and they didn't want to break muscle memory).

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Golden Dragon posted:

so many times did I accidentally pick up my portcrystal trying to run after warping somewhere

Itsuno I am begging you to give me a yes/no prompt for picking up portcrystals. I have to hike all the way back to the drat Mountain Shrine now because I didn’t notice I picked up the one I dropped there.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Bussamove posted:

Itsuno I am begging you to give me a yes/no prompt for picking up portcrystals. I have to hike all the way back to the drat Mountain Shrine now because I didn’t notice I picked up the one I dropped there.

I pick mine up all the time but there's a very loud musical sting and a big yellow "PORTCRYSTAL" that pops up on the side of the screen that alerts me to that fact.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I think the most egregious design decision the Palworld devs made is for pal spheres (pokeballs) to require significant resources and time to make, especially for the higher level ones. I wan to go out and capture Pals but I need spheres to do that. But that requires farming a bunch of materials and then crafting a bunch of balls. Which is okay because pals can grind the materials and make the balls! So I can just go do stuff while they- oh, only I need the balls to do anything in the world. I don't want to run around seeing pals I wanna capture but can't. So it basically forces me to sit around base or grind materials when I really just wanna explore and capture pals.

In other games like this you tend to be able to keep on top of what you need to go out (ammo, food, repairs and the like) quite easily and the crafting gate basically kick in when you're upgrading gear. There's typically not a mechanic that tells you no you can't even go out and do things in the world until after you do a bunch of crafting.

Phigs has a new favorite as of 02:31 on Apr 9, 2024

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Phigs posted:

I think the most egregious design decision the Palworld devs made is for pal spheres (pokeballs) to require significant resources and time to make, especially for the higher level ones. I wan to go out and capture Pals but I need spheres to do that. But that requires farming a bunch of materials and then crafting a bunch of balls. Which is okay because pals can grind the materials and make the balls! So I can just go do stuff while they- oh, only I need the balls to do anything in the world. I don't want to run around seeing pals I wanna capture but can't. So it basically forces me to sit around base or grind materials when I really just wanna explore and capture pals.

In other games like this you tend to be able to keep on top of what you need to go out (ammo, food, repairs and the like) quite easily and the crafting gate basically kick in when you're upgrading gear. There's typically not a mechanic that tells you no you can't even go out and do things in the world until after you do a bunch of crafting.

Yeah, I finally checked out a youtube testing it out after it had gotten popular for its memeiness, and it just looked like the most tedious grindy experience in a generic asset world with a funny idea slapped on top of it. I was sure it was going to be something more than that, but I had trouble even staying interested through a video that was designed around showing off the entertaining side of the game.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Palworld is utter genius because it combines pokemon with open world crafting sims, the two genres for which people have no standards whatsoever.

Accurate. Especially on open world survival style games.

The thing about most of those style games is that no one ever seems to actually finish the goddamn things. Even if they leave early access the 1.0 notes always seem like they are talking about a game that probably won't be finished for years.

One of the more telling games for me in that is one called Empyrion, I don't know how long I've owned it Steam, but I check back in on it once a year ago, and it still feels like a janky mess. I'm not sure the tutorial has ever actually finished without just breaking.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, I finally checked out a youtube testing it out after it had gotten popular for its memeiness, and it just looked like the most tedious grindy experience in a generic asset world with a funny idea slapped on top of it. I was sure it was going to be something more than that, but I had trouble even staying interested through a video that was designed around showing off the entertaining side of the game.

I think the game starts pretty strong, the early tree punching loop is ok, you collect a bunch of Pals and get them to work and its fine. Its just not too long in, it starts getting pretty grindy, and some things take way too long. If anything, just getting around the world is so goddamn slow. Even if you get a Pal that you ride, its only slightly faster then running.

CitizenKain has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Apr 9, 2024

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

one of the first NPCs you can find in palworld is talking about how the vicious pals slaughtered their entire team and meanwhile all the pals in the area are little cartoon chickens and cats

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
so I wound up picking up jedi: survivor today after I bounced off fallen order and theres a lot to like about it. the level design is at least a cut above yellow paint covered stuff in other games, the story has heart, and somehow cals actor manages to give a great voice acting performance even though the mocap for him looks like wooden and stiff. The combat is passable which is tbh all I need in a game where I get to have a lightsaber and the wallrunning is nice nostalgic reminder that titanfall 2 exists even if respawn are just churning out stuff for EA nowadays. The one thing that keeps distracting me a LOT and to be fair, its in a funny way that I keep laughing at, is the body physics on Cal whenever he dies. He immediately either ragdolls like a skater xl character or goes completely stiff as a board like a corpse falling out of a freezer. It looks so silly and the fact that it reminds me of a small indie game passion project made by skaters despite being made by a major studio under a billion dollar IP is very stupid.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

I dunno if Palworld will be 'finished' but it's had a couple of substantial updates that were pretty well received. I like it cause it makes your pals more useful than just sitting in your box like pokemon and gives you the automation that other survival games don't.

It's definitely derivative but there's way more care gone into it than just an asset flip game. All of its systems are from other games like Zelda climbing and exploration, Pokémon catching, survival game stuff but Palworld puts it all together in a way that's fun despite the early jank.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tagichatn posted:

I dunno if Palworld will be 'finished' but it's had a couple of substantial updates that were pretty well received. I like it cause it makes your pals more useful than just sitting in your box like pokemon and gives you the automation that other survival games don't.

It's definitely derivative but there's way more care gone into it than just an asset flip game. All of its systems are from other games like Zelda climbing and exploration, Pokémon catching, survival game stuff but Palworld puts it all together in a way that's fun despite the early jank.

Sure, Palworld is super derivative(it's just less edgy Conan Exiles), but lol at calling it Zelda climbing when that's just derivative of the Spider-man climbing used since the PSX days. Really makes it clear that some are just allowed more leeway that others when it comes to copying, and the exploration is just generic open world exploration, glider included which is just the derivative of Alladin on the SNES / every open world wingsuit/parachute/ flight mechanic.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hel posted:

Sure, Palworld is super derivative(it's just less edgy Conan Exiles), but lol at calling it Zelda climbing when that's just derivative of the Spider-man climbing used since the PSX days. Really makes it clear that some are just allowed more leeway that others when it comes to copying, and the exploration is just generic open world exploration, glider included which is just the derivative of Alladin on the SNES / every open world wingsuit/parachute/ flight mechanic.

maybe it's not that some games are given more leeway than others when it comes to copying it's just that people are less familiar with playstation spider-man than they are with breath of the wild and use the more recent popular game as a reference

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I mean, I don't disagree with the idea - I think copying mechanics or themes is generally more acceptable when it's done well or by a popular company, yeah. How many popular games are "(x) but better"? In artist circles, for example, it's generally considered acceptable and even encouraged to wear your inspiration on your sleeve as long as your work is more original than not. Homage and inspiration are not the same as plagiarism.

But I also feel like it's a little strange to imply Aladdin's gliding in a licensed SNES platformer is being borrowed by BOTW (open world exploration survival) having a hang glider. A thing that exists IRL.

Especially when Bubsy came out first.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Also Spiderman climbs buildings, not cliffs and poo poo like Zelda. Fortunately it never rains in Palworld, zelda's always losing his grip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

My citation for first hang glider was Sly Cooper 2

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 10:20 on Apr 12, 2024