Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Haaaaaaaaaaa, good gravy.

It's not here, but Riff-Raff is the MVP of this run. It spawned food for Ceremonial Dagger to allow it to scale up, it spawned a Banner, which was MASSIVELY important for the early and mid-game until I could get Bull. It even spawned a Negative Hallucination, which gave me all kinds of incredible tarot cards to scale up my money for Bull and fill my deck with enough Enhanced Cards that taking Vampire late game was feasible. Also shoutout to Delayed Gratification, which thanks to Banner and Dagger letting me one-shot a bunch of blinds, spawned enough money to get Bull off the ground.

The funniest part is, the thing I was most concerned about all run was running into Crimson Heart again, so I made sure to spread my scoring out as much as possible. Then in the second to last shop...I got a Soul that dropped Chicot, the Legendary Joker that disables all Boss Blinds. But...I didn't need it, because it was Verdant Leaf, and I could just sell my Negative Hallucination (and honestly didn't even need to do that much). So I wound up feeding a Legendary Joker to Ceremonial Dagger immediately after getting it. :lol:

Having said all that, I think this challenge is pretty loving stupid. It doesn't feel like it fits the spirit of the rest of the game, there's no fun experimentation, it's just holding R until RNG gives you the right combination of poo poo that'll let you blow through every thing. Which in a way I guess is fitting with the spirit of the rest of the game.

Onto Cruelty, I guess. I'm sure that'll suck just as bad until I get some Green Joker/Square Joker combo or somethin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador
Alright teach me the secret to getting past ante 12. So far 300 mil has been impossible for even my best deck, though I've managed a 65 mil hand once. What do I need to be doing besides stacking as much xmult as I can get.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

My best run yet! Might have even been able to beat Ante 12 properly if all of my glass cards hadn't exploded in earlier blinds. It really does highlight that after a certain point you truly, absolutely need all those retrigger cards, and to either be really good (or really lucky) with respect to deck and Joker sculpting.

That also makes all decks beaten on Green Stakes or better, so it's been a good morning!

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Jossar posted:

There are a bunch of challenges that I might do again for fun.

The last 3 are not among these.

I found the all glass and two "oops all 6's" challenge to be the most fun one

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

God is testing me. Like yeah, Sell the Business Card to pick up one of them but then like... do I sell the Sock and Buskin to pick up the other?

EDIT: Lost the run in the worst way possible, not paying attention to what the boss blind was I had unlimited rerolls too.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Apr 6, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Eschatos posted:

Alright teach me the secret to getting past ante 12. So far 300 mil has been impossible for even my best deck, though I've managed a 65 mil hand once. What do I need to be doing besides stacking as much xmult as I can get.

It's possible to do it by stacking xmult, you can have a really high leveled up hand like flush 5 and well scaled xmult jokers like constellation, steel joker, holo joker, or campfire with something that dupes it like brainstorm or bluepriunt among some more bland x3/x4 options, the more polychromes the merrier. I broke through ante 12 with a billion point hand this way when I first started playing. Throw in a couple glass cards on the boss and you'll get there.

The "easier" way to do it is with retriggers that provide mult. So duping a bunch of steel kings with mime and/or baron. Or forcing your entire deck to be one card via tarot manipulation and using the idol + hack or sock n busin. Even steel queens + mime and shoot the moon will get you there, though it won't scale as high as the previous two.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Yeah, the trick to getting to 300 million is that your entire deck has to work towards it, not just your jokers. And obviously, you only want to attempt this on white stake.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Elman posted:

Yeah, the trick to getting to 300 million is that your entire deck has to work towards it, not just your jokers. And obviously, you only want to attempt this on white stake.

Black Stake is also a good choice because of Eternal Jokers enabling a few specific strategies for getting huge numbers.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

gently caress you ante 12 i have finally defeated you, you big bastard

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

PoundSand posted:

It's possible to do it by stacking xmult, you can have a really high leveled up hand like flush 5 and well scaled xmult jokers like constellation, steel joker, holo joker, or campfire with something that dupes it like brainstorm or bluepriunt among some more bland x3/x4 options, the more polychromes the merrier. I broke through ante 12 with a billion point hand this way when I first started playing. Throw in a couple glass cards on the boss and you'll get there.

The "easier" way to do it is with retriggers that provide mult. So duping a bunch of steel kings with mime and/or baron. Or forcing your entire deck to be one card via tarot manipulation and using the idol + hack or sock n busin. Even steel queens + mime and shoot the moon will get you there, though it won't scale as high as the previous two.

Thought I was onto it with this run, but choked at ~10 mil. Not sure how I hosed up. Am I supposed to just go high-card for steel synergy? And yeah baron would have been better than the queen mult one but that still seemed solid.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Eschatos posted:

Thought I was onto it with this run, but choked at ~10 mil. Not sure how I hosed up. Am I supposed to just go high-card for steel synergy? And yeah baron would have been better than the queen mult one but that still seemed solid.

In a situation like this, where most of your points are coming from cards left in your hand, yeah, you should just be playing high card. That would be two more queens in your hand, each of them multiplying your mult by 1.5 twice, vs whatever base mult you're getting from 3 of a Kind.
Also, you've got Perkeo, but nothing in your inventory. That's a massive mistake, Perkeo is incredibly powerful and you should always have at least one card sitting around even if it's just to sell them

I'm upset that I hosed this run up:

At the start of Ante 18, a spectral pack offered me an ectoplasm
"Oh, brilliant!" says I, not thinking about the consequences of -2 hand size

Alas.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Eschatos posted:

Yeah at that point you should have just been playing highcard. It'd probably be nice if one of your jokers was for chips though.

The two negative jokers were essentially worthless, score came from mime/shoot the moon for mult, wee joker was around +1k chips (I had started the run by going mostly 2 five of a kinds), and then blackboard and steel joker was another x12 or so at the end. For reference solo queen was around 1.5 billion points so even without the black board and steel it'd be ~100 mill and strong enough to clear ante 12.

Queens is not the best approach for this though, baron is much stronger I just happened to have an erattic deck with a lot of queens and 2's and hit polychrome shoot somewhere in the run. As you can see it crashed immediately on ante 13, but if beating 12 is your only goal it's not a terrible option.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 6, 2024

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
Still haven't made it into the e's, but been scoring higher than ever before today, and on Black Stakes at that. Obviously purple would just murder most of these runs in the cradle, but I'm amazed at how even halfway through the stakes I feel like I'm being screwed over more by RNG generally/my own hubris than the modifiers.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

I finally got the 5-card hand unlock after specifically farming for it on white stake/ghost deck and getting a run going with a seance. And yes, that did mean having to build around repeated straight flushes with a reduced hand size. Bonus points for having to end it with ectoplasm instead of stuntman so I could only get the unlock by permanently dropping my hand size to 5 and killing the run, followed up by the manacle boss for one extra "gently caress you". That unlock can eat my entire rear end.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 6, 2024

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

pumpinglemma posted:

I finally got the 5-card hand unlock after specifically farming for it on white stake/ghost deck and getting a run going with a seance. And yes, that did mean having to build around repeated straight flushes with a reduced hand size. Bonus points for having to end it with ectoplasm instead of stuntman so I could only get the unlock by permanently dropping my hand size to 5 and killing the run, followed up by the manacle boss for one extra "gently caress you". That unlock can eat my entire rear end.

I got that unlock entirely by accident lol. It was a high stake run where I had a stuntman and I was like "well I don't really care about handsize anyways so no reason not to buy ecto".

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Beat orange :toot: onto gold.

All it took was baseball card and a bunch of uncommons and 200 bucks. I probably could have kept going if I got the bull

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

PoundSand posted:

I got that unlock entirely by accident lol. It was a high stake run where I had a stuntman and I was like "well I don't really care about handsize anyways so no reason not to buy ecto".

this is exactly how i unlocked it as well lmao

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

PoundSand posted:

I had that happen in a run and then copied it with Invisible Joker, bringing me all the way down to a hand size of three. Bu they can never stop you from playing high card.

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

Sit on my Jace posted:

I had that happen in a run and then copied it with Invisible Joker, bringing me all the way down to a hand size of three. Bu they can never stop you from playing high card.

The Psychic says hi.

Whistling Asshole
Nov 18, 2005
really struggling on blue stake :smithicide:

i've breezed through all other stakes & decks so far without needing to reroll or do more than 1-2 attempts, but on blue I'm constantly rerolling & crashing out on ante 7-8. help

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Whistling rear end in a top hat posted:

really struggling on blue stake :smithicide:

i've breezed through all other stakes & decks so far without needing to reroll or do more than 1-2 attempts, but on blue I'm constantly rerolling & crashing out on ante 7-8. help

Yeah, I'm stymied on blue as well. It doesn't seem terribly significant but that one missing reroll causes tons of problems.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Update will have a change to Mad Joker (triggers off two pair instead of four of a kind), and gold stake/legendary seeds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bxyafj/new_balance_patch_leaks_from_localthunk_for_101/

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

SirFozzie posted:

Update will have a change to Mad Joker (triggers off two pair instead of four of a kind), and gold stake/legendary seeds.

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bxyafj/new_balance_patch_leaks_from_localthunk_for_101/

Perhaps the worlds smallest gripe but considering "contains a pair or 3 of a kind" jokers trigger off bigger hands like full house or four of a kind I think pants (and now these jokers) should trigger off 4 or 5 of a kind because there are litterally two pairs in the hands.

Joke grievances aside I'm mostly interested in what the future plans for orange/gold stake are, according to a couple high level players that seem to regularly talk with local thunk p much everyone agrees orange+ stake sucks the fun out of the game and pigeonholes you into simple hand scaling builds. It sounds like there are plans to change this but I'm curious what they'd look like.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 7, 2024

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Yeah Black is currently the sweetspot as three of the four tier hikes above it (-1 discard, booster prices up, -1 hand size) all make creating cool hands disproportionately difficult while doing next to nothing to the win with a ham sandwich joker scaling strategies. I sure don't know what the answer to replace those is but they need to go.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

https://www.reddit.com/r/balatro/comments/1bxuuu7/baltaro_multiplayer_mod_private_beta_scouting/

someone is working on a multiplayer mod and it sounds like it could have potential imo

quote:

. Attrition (1v1) Both players start with 4 lives, every boss round is a competition between players where the player with the lower score loses a life.

. Draft (1v1) Both players play a set amount of antes simultaneously, then they play an ante where every round the player with the higher scorer wins, player with the most round wins in the final ante is the victor.

. Heads Up (Not Finished yet) (1v1) Both players play the first ante, then must keep beating the opponents previous score or lose.

Battle Royale (Not Finished Either) (8p) Draft, except there are up to 8 players and every player only has 1 life.

these are all the modes for the mod currently.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Finally got Speedrunner and with that I have all unlocks done! That one took a while for the stars to align.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

PoundSand posted:

Perhaps the worlds smallest gripe but considering "contains a pair or 3 of a kind" jokers trigger off bigger hands like full house or four of a kind I think pants (and now these jokers) should trigger off 4 or 5 of a kind because there are litterally two pairs in the hands.

Joke grievances aside I'm mostly interested in what the future plans for orange/gold stake are, according to a couple high level players that seem to regularly talk with local thunk p much everyone agrees orange+ stake sucks the fun out of the game and pigeonholes you into simple hand scaling builds. It sounds like there are plans to change this but I'm curious what they'd look like.

I swear to god, Trousers triggered off of four of a kind in the demo.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
What's the worst joker in the game? My vote is for Matador.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
Got punched in the face so I bought this to feel better and uh

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Might be square joker? It’s trash when you get it, but if you spend the entire game crippling your economy to level it up with two pairs, it will remain trash because four chips per hand is nothing. Might also be red card, which is a $5 joker that does absolutely nothing unless you’re willing to throw a vast amount of money down the toilet. Golden ticket, lucky cat and the assorted stone jokers all seem super-niche as well.

Like, at least with matador there are rare situations where you can see at the moment it’s in the store that holding onto it until the boss is going to be worth $20 or so, and in those situations I would buy it if I had a slot free. I’m trying to think of a situation where I’d ever buy square card or red card and outside of immediately destroying them with campfire or ceremonial dagger I can’t.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 8, 2024

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

pumpinglemma posted:

Might be square joker? It’s trash when you get it, but if you spend the entire game crippling your economy to level it up with two pairs, it will remain trash because four chips per hand is nothing. Might also be red card, which is a $5 joker that does absolutely nothing unless you’re willing to throw a vast amount of money down the toilet. Golden ticket, lucky cat and the assorted stone jokers all seem super-niche as well.

all of the "chips/mult if your hand contains a specific hand" jokers from page 1 are worse than most of these, except maybe lucky cat

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

the holy poopacy posted:

all of the "chips/mult if your hand contains a specific hand" jokers from page 1 are worse than most of these, except maybe lucky cat
I disagree, most of those are usable when you just need literally any source of chips/mult. Mostly that’s in ante 1 or 2, admittedly, and you sell them the moment something better comes along, but there are still situations where you’re genuinely relieved to see them in a store. Square joker and red card don’t fall into that niche because they don’t give you anything valuable either long-term or short-term.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

WarEternal posted:

What's the worst joker in the game? My vote is for Matador.

Probably the one that requires a straight flush to produce a spectral card.

Madness is pretty terrible without eternals.

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Yeah, the spectral one might beat it out. I was just annoyed that the 3 bosses I tried Matador on, literally none of their abilities triggered it so it seems like it has an extremely narrow use and all you get out of the deal is $8. Red card is at least usable until the difficulty where ante makes pack price go up.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

Papes posted:

Probably the one that requires a straight flush to produce a spectral card.

Madness is pretty terrible without eternals.
I’ll defend both of those, too! Seance is obviously good if you already have a straight flush build (which is a reasonable thing to transition into late-game), and if you’re on the abandoned or checkered deck then it’s not too hard to transition into one even early on. The good spectral cards are really good and it gives you a lot of chances at them. It’s also the only thing that gives any consistency with the loving size-5 hand unlock.

For madness, the trick is that it still gets the extra multiplier even if it doesn’t eat another joker, so if you can survive the early game with tarots and planet cards then you can get a pretty good thing going. At some point, you pick up a joker generator or hermits or buffoon packs or similar and transition into a blood sacrifice economy where you have four mostly-trash jokers that contribute a little chips and mult before feeding their bodies into madness’ gears. It falls off late-game relative to e.g. three decent x-mult jokers stacked on top of each other, but realistically if you had those then you’d already won. (I may be biased because I had a magical run with polychrome madness in the second or third shop…)

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Tonfa posted:

Yeah Black is currently the sweetspot as three of the four tier hikes above it (-1 discard, booster prices up, -1 hand size) all make creating cool hands disproportionately difficult while doing next to nothing to the win with a ham sandwich joker scaling strategies. I sure don't know what the answer to replace those is but they need to go.

Take a page from Slay the Spire: make you fight two final bosses back-to-back and add some kind of unremovable dud card(s) to the deck.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Take a page from Slay the Spire: make you fight two final bosses back-to-back and add some kind of unremovable dud card(s) to the deck.

Speaking of dud cards, has anyone ever had a winning run that utilizes Stone cards? Even in my high card/pair runs, it seems better to just remove cards from the deck instead of replacing them with Stone.

The obvious exception is if you have the joker that adds a stone card every round and the joker that increases your xMult for every card added to the deck.

One of the big flaws in the game is that Glass and Steel are AWESOME, and Wild and Stone suck out loud. Same thing where Red and Purple tokens are great, while Gold and Blue tokens are pretty terrible.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

pumpinglemma posted:

Like, at least with matador there are rare situations where you can see at the moment it’s in the store that holding onto it until the boss is going to be worth $20 or so, and in those situations I would buy it if I had a slot free. I’m trying to think of a situation where I’d ever buy square card or red card and outside of immediately destroying them with campfire or ceremonial dagger I can’t.

...why would you exclusively play two pair with square joker? That's a fantastic card in high card builds.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Superposition is also garbage, and it shows up all the fuckin time.

What is should read is is:

code:
Create a Tarot card if poker hand contains an Ace and a Straight.
Aces can be used at any point in a straight.
eg. QKA23 is a valid straight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tinstaach
Aug 3, 2010

MAGNetic AttITUDE

pumpinglemma posted:

I disagree, most of those are usable when you just need literally any source of chips/mult. Mostly that’s in ante 1 or 2, admittedly, and you sell them the moment something better comes along, but there are still situations where you’re genuinely relieved to see them in a store. Square joker and red card don’t fall into that niche because they don’t give you anything valuable either long-term or short-term.

I'll fight for Red Card because I'll be forever indebted to a joker if it helped me pass one of the later challenges, and I had a Castle/Red Card build that made Five Card Draw a cakewalk. Among the +mult scaling jokers I think the only one with the potential to scale as quickly and consistently is Flash Card (+2 mult per reroll), the tradeoff there is potentially infinite scaling at a higher cost for the extra mult.

My personal favourite builds are the ones where you can play whatever you're dealt in your opening hand(s) and be able to get by, they won't get your score into the e's, but the right ones can get you past ante 8 just fine.